Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Adoption and the Family Tree

This bugs me.

I have a couple. They are married. They adopt a baby. The wife/mother calls for the adoption, baby shows up. The "Have a baby" and "Have a baby with (husband)" wishes get granted. But when I look at the family tree, it shows the baby as ONLY the mothers, and the father is labeled as "Step Father" to the baby!!!

This isn't right!! Why does the game do this?? It does the same with PlantSim babies....that one I kinda understand, since it's usually the one sim that cares for it as a plant....but for the adopted ones?? Nu uh.

Very irritating and it messes up story lines! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Comments

• Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited July 2014
    This is most likely because the baby already has a family tree. This is the same of the baby had a mother, but not a farther, it would still label the babies mother as step mother and farther. If the baby had both mother and farther, the game would name the babies parents as step mother and farther, this is to indicate that the baby is not related genetically to the child.

The family tree is broken down into generational levels, The first level is the main level or otherwise known as the genetic beginning line. This line is called the first level, if the sim is alone it will just be that sim, but when a sim forms a relationship, the lines are purple to the other connected sim with the sim witch is a indirect link or to a member of another family tree by two people that share common interest with each other by there associated relationships with that person but shares no relative information with the rest of the family. These links are most likely boyfriend/girlfriend and also fiancée/fiancé

A hard link or merger is when the two families merge into one family, which usually occurs with marriage with the status of marriage, which allows the relatives relationships to go beyond the old current family tree, this allows for relationships such as mother-in-law/farther-in-law and so on.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • RedDestiny9RedDestiny9 Posts: 202 New Member
    edited July 2014
    If you're one of the players who uses mastercontoller you can manually change it so that the other sim in the house, the husband, is the father. Otherwise you can just ignore it.
  • PrincessRainbowPrincessRainbow Posts: 132 Member
    edited July 2014
    If you're one of the players who uses mastercontoller you can manually change it so that the other sim in the house, the husband, is the father. Otherwise you can just ignore it.

I used to use MC, but found that too many mods made the game buggy (or buggier, I should say), so I removed it. ( I use SP, WooHooer...and another one that I can't remember right now lol) :) I am just choosing to ignore it. *sigh*
  • PrincessRainbowPrincessRainbow Posts: 132 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sid1701D9 wrote:
    This is most likely because the baby already has a family tree. This is the same of the baby had a mother, but not a farther, it would still label the babies mother as step mother and farther. If the baby had both mother and farther, the game would name the babies parents as step mother and farther, this is to indicate that the baby is not related genetically to the child.

The family tree is broken down into generational levels, The first level is the main level or otherwise known as the genetic beginning line. This line is called the first level, if the sim is alone it will just be that sim, but when a sim forms a relationship, the lines are purple to the other connected sim with the sim witch is a indirect link or to a member of another family tree by two people that share common interest with each other by there associated relationships with that person but shares no relative information with the rest of the family. These links are most likely boyfriend/girlfriend and also fiancée/fiancé

A hard link or merger is when the two families merge into one family, which usually occurs with marriage with the status of marriage, which allows the relatives relationships to go beyond the old current family tree, this allows for relationships such as mother-in-law/farther-in-law and so on.

I understand how Family Trees work...I've been playing the game since Sims 1 AND I am heavily into Genealogy outside of the game. :) I do not understand how the baby could already have a family tree though? Or I guess what you mean by that... I mean, when you adopt a baby, their old family tree is gone and they are connected to the Sim(s) that adopted them...All ties to their Birth family are severed. (Although I think it WOULD be cool if each adopted baby came with a "back story"..why their parents gave them up...ect.)

It's not that big of a deal...I just found it odd. In RL, when a couple adopts a child, BOTH those people are considered that childs parents...not a parent and a step parent...*shrug*