Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I have another question for the folks playing TS2

I'm asking here, because in looking at TS4, I decided to look at TS2 again. I'm interested in the open world vs 'neighborhoods', etc.

So I've installed TS2 and found something really odd. Each sim is walking on a black square that moves with them every where. Is this normal or was there patch that fixed this?

Thanks!!

Mylita
No friends requests, please.

Comments

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2014
    Are you on Windows 8? I believe I've heard this happening when playing on a machine running it.
  • PosterGirlPosterGirl Posts: 641 Member
    edited June 2014
    That doesn't sound normal, you shouldn't see a black square on anything they walk on. Try updating your video card drivers and see if that helps.
  • ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited June 2014
    This has happened to me. It has to do with our graphics cards, just put the shadow settings on medium or lower.
    keep on keepin' on
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited June 2014
    No, I'm using Win 7. Hmmm...

Mylita
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited June 2014
    I had this a while ago, I think you need to lower the shadow settings. Not sure why but it fixed the problem for me. :?
  • PosterGirlPosterGirl Posts: 641 Member
    edited June 2014
    Have you tried running it in Windows XP mode for compatibility mode and as an administrator?

I remember having issues when I first got this computer with getting both TS1 and TS2, changing those two options under properties for the application of the games fixed it.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2014
    Mylita wrote:
    No, I'm using Win 7. Hmmm...

Mylita

Do you have the latest patches? Are you using an Intel integrated graphics chip?
  • ChocobittenChocobitten Posts: 107 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Lowering the shadow worked for me too. When I installed it on my Windows 7 computer it happened to me as well and this was recently.
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited June 2014
    Thanks everyone!! Turning down shadows worked. Whew! :lol:

Mylita
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited June 2014
    Hi Mylita,
    Go into game options/graphics and click the medium shadows if it's on the high/top one.

This was happening in my game too after a new driver update.

ETA: sorry, I didn't read the thread before posting.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • wooters2014wooters2014 Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2014
    mine does it too, thanks for the solution
  • LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2014
    Mylita wrote:
    I'm asking here, because in looking at TS4, I decided to look at TS2 again. I'm interested in the open world vs 'neighborhoods', etc.

So I've installed TS2 and found something really odd. Each sim is walking on a black square that moves with them every where. Is this normal or was there patch that fixed this?

Thanks!!

Mylita

That issue is due to the shadow option in the sims 2.it is sort of like a glitch but due to graphic cards that do not support it or are not powerful enough to use it (on high settings it glitched into a very large black block under their feet).all you have to do is turn shadows off all together or on low/med.

play with it alittle bit and you will see the results.

Edited-
    sorry if that was already answered but i also had this issue (with a good nvidia no less) and played with that setting,finding my own limit.figured i would pitch some help :)
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • JustMe123JustMe123 Posts: 160 Member
    edited June 2014
    I have a topic in the Technical Discussions forum regarding the Sims 2 and graphics cards...

Does anyone here know if The Sims 2 will break my laptop's graphic card? :?

Thanks for any help! :)
    edited June 2014
    Mylita wrote:
    Thanks everyone!! Turning down shadows worked. Whew! :lol:

Mylita

Great news! :thumbup:

edited June 2014
    JustMe123 wrote:
    I have a topic in the Technical Discussions forum regarding the Sims 2 and graphics cards...

it depends on the card.let me list mine on my desk top and judge by it.IF yours is better then mine then you should be awesome.

NVIDIA Geforce 7100/ NVIDIA nForce 630i

with the above,i can run the sims 2 on high settings and only get lag with a few things (water based objects,fast movement in camera and any other large pulling) but i do not do this.i turn all the important settings on high (sim detail,lot detail,and such things based on who i am playing and where) everything else goes off or on low.(even reflections and snow) and with this way,it runs flawlessly and like a dream.

• delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited June 2014
    JustMe123 wrote:

I disapprove of thread jacking but since the OPs question was already answered, I'll go ahead and ask. Why on earth would TS2 break your graphics card? TS3 melted mine one very hot summer, but unless your laptop isn't capable of running other games either, I suggest you just check if you meet the system requirements for the game.
    edited June 2014
    JustMe123 wrote:

it depends on the card.let me list mine on my desk top and judge by it.IF yours is better then mine then you should be awesome.

with the above,i can run the sims 2 on high settings and only get lag with a few things (water based objects,fast movement in camera and any other large pulling) but i do not do this.i turn all the important settings on high (sim detail,lot detail,and such things based on who i am playing and where) everything else goes off or on low.(even reflections and snow) and with this way,it runs flawlessly and like a dream.

My card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M. But I'm not sure if The Sims 2 would be using this card on the built-in "Intel" card, so that's why I'm worried about ruining my laptop. And I'm not great with technical details so I thought I'd ask before I risk ruining my computer. Thanks for replying. :)
    edited June 2014
    delonariel wrote:
    JustMe123 wrote:

I disapprove of thread jacking but since the OPs question was already answered, I'll go ahead and ask. Why on earth would TS2 break your graphics card? TS3 melted mine one very hot summer, but unless your laptop isn't capable of running other games either, I suggest you just check if you meet the system requirements for the game.

I'm sorry for thread jacking. That wasn't my intention to take away from the OP's topic in their thread. I was just hoping that someone here would know how to fix my problem, or tell me if I have any problems before I play. :)
    edited June 2014
    JustMe123 wrote:
    JustMe123 wrote:

My card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M. But I'm not sure if The Sims 2 would be using this card on the built-in "Intel" card, so that's why I'm worried about ruining my laptop. And I'm not great with technical details so I thought I'd ask before I risk ruining my computer. Thanks for replying. :)

Well i can say you have a better card then me by far lol and im on a desk top.so i dont see why it wouldnt though i do remember them having a list of *supported cards* hmm well i could get the link to those if you wish.and if im not mistaken,the game uses whatever dominate card you have.like i have an onboard but if thats all i have installed,it has no choice but to try and use it but i think the game will auto local to your Nvidia.

edited June 2014
    JustMe123 wrote:
    JustMe123 wrote:

Well i can say you have a better card then me by far lol and im on a desk top.so i dont see why it wouldnt though i do remember them having a list of *supported cards* hmm well i could get the link to those if you wish.and if im not mistaken,the game uses whatever dominate card you have.like i have an onboard but if thats all i have installed,it has no choice but to try and use it but i think the game will auto local to your Nvidia.

My thread is http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/760118.page if you want to continue talking there. :) I think I've seen the link you're talking about, but I couldn't find my card listed there, so I just thought I'd check here in the forums just in case there's any known issue with my card. :) Thanks for helping!
    edited June 2014
    JustMe123 wrote:
    JustMe123 wrote:
    JustMe123 wrote:

My thread is http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/760118.page if you want to continue talking there. :) I think I've seen the link you're talking about, but I couldn't find my card listed there, so I just thought I'd check here in the forums just in case there's any known issue with my card. :) Thanks for helping!

Alrighty and no problem :) good luck with the sims 2!

edited June 2014
    JustMe123 wrote:
    JustMe123 wrote:
    JustMe123 wrote:

Alrighty and no problem :) good luck with the sims 2!

Thanks! :D
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've got to try this. :)
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2014
    Hi :D

TS2 doesn't recognize the newer graphics cards and will/might lower the settings for the game-
    http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸/mybb/showthread.php?tid=3666

The black box is a problem because of the older game and the newer graphics cards. That is the only way to fix it- lowering the settings. Getting the game to recognise the card won't solve it, mores the pity. :(
  • Snakefire30Snakefire30 Posts: 473 Member
    edited July 2014
    The black box instead of shadows problem is a problem between Shadows and some NVIDIA graphic driver updates. They turn shadows into black boxes, instead of shadows.

There is something about Radeon 7000 cards that Sims 2 doesn't like and automatically puts the game on low settings.