Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is a MacBook Pro any good for sims?

A few of you have probably seen my other posts about laptops and so on but today I'm asking the question: "Is a MacBook Pro any good for sims?"

My other laptop which is not made for sims in the slightest used to work just fine and could handle it, but it's getting old and slowing down and freezing. I've been looking at some at a reasonable price. Preferably under £800 and found some I think would be good.

Here are some questions I'd like to know:
Is a MacBook Pro any good for sims?
Is a MacBook Pro any good in general?
Can it handle sims?
Any links for good MacBooks?

Thank you
- ritaroxy12 :D

Comments

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    edited June 2014
    I have a Macbook Pro, 2012. It runs smoother and faster than it did on my previous laptop, which was not a mac. It loads and saves in half the time it did on there. I've encountered a little bit of lagging and freezing, but less than on my other laptop and it usually happens if I've been playing for hours. I think that's just a Sims 3 problem in general. I don't do much else on here. FB, messaging, a bit of web surfing. It all runs great.

The only thing I am not happy with is that I don't have Sims 2 running on here. :(
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • kayla1686kayla1686 Posts: 1,697 Member
    edited June 2014
    I have a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro and it runs the sims really well. I have all EPs except Island Paradise and Into The Future. I also have a lot of store content and about 1.5GB of third party CC. I play on the highest settings with very little lag. The only problem I have is the occasional "exception raised" error which crashes the game.

I love my MacBook Pro. It's the best computer I've ever had. It's great for gaming, despite what a lot of people might say.
  • ritaroxy12ritaroxy12 Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited June 2014
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited June 2014
    MacBook Pros are great - all Macs are great because Apple build a computer to run their own OS= reliability and stability.

But don't expect for one minute to experience the same gameplay as a Windows user, unless you Boot Camp your Mac:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/539546.page

apple-signature.png
  • hellotherebyehellotherebye Posts: 50
    edited June 2014
    I have a Macbook Pro 2014 (just got to about a week ago)! If you are buying the latest version of the lap top a good thing to know is that it does not come with a disc drive! So if your games are on discs (like mine are) you will have to buy an external usb disc drive which is about $40 in the US. But other than that the sims seems to work fine, even faster then it did on my old dell.... the only thing I've noticed is that the clarity of some of the details on the sims is a little off compared to my old pc! anyway hope this helped! (:
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited June 2014
    Part of that loss of detail is due to the fact that Sims 3 is running through Cider. However even if you have your games on disk, you can register them through Origin and download them digitally.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • MelanieSimlishMelanieSimlish Posts: 4,432 Member
    edited June 2014
    It's hit and miss, I think. Some people swear that you can't play TS3 on a Mac, but I play it every day for hours with very few crashes, and the graphics at max. I do have to monitor how much CC I put into the game, otherwise my game will lag and crash constantly, but that's at no fault of the computer. Plus, I have almost all the EP's (World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Seasons, University, and I'm currently trying my luck at reinstalling the infamous Showtime) and one SP (Town Life) installed, and like I said it works great.

I did try Boot Camping my Mac for a while, and it was terrrrrible. Constantly crashing and freezing, super laggy, graphics had to be all the way down, the colors kept changing contrast, took FOREVER to load and save, couldn't play in windowed mode but at the same time fullscreen mode made it run even slower, etc. And I didn't do *anything* wrong in the installation process, and this was all without CC. I would not recommend Boot Camping, because for me it was just a big waste of time.

Also, I feel like it's worth mentioning that I went for the 8GB of RAM instead of 4. I would HIGHLY recommend doing that, because TS3 typically uses at least 4GB of RAM and you might experience lagging and crashing if that's all you've got. It makes the computer more expensive, yes, but it is definitely worth it. :)

Here are the specs for my mid-2012 MacBook Pro:
    Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.5
    44444.gif
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited June 2014
    I highly recommend reading these three threads as they can solve most any of the common problems people experience running Sims 3 on a Mac. I personally own all the EP's and SP's and run with my Mac on the Highest Graphics settings. I clear my Memory regularly and can play for several hours and save with no Error 12's.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/748338.page
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • ritaroxy12ritaroxy12 Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited June 2014
    Wow thank you everyone for all your amazing help! It's really interesting and helpful for me :D