Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My game is seriously broken, please help!!!!

This is a brand-new save in a brand-new town. I've only been playing for about 3-4 days; played a little bit this morning and everything was fine. I saved my game and went to work.

I came back this afternoon, saved & quit as I had something else to do on my computer. I did that for 5 minutes, then logged back into my game and was horrified to see this:

sims3.png

Once again, brand-new save in a brand-new town. Vanilla game. No mods, cheats, hacks, or CC. No error code 12. Nothing with ".bad" in my saves folder.

I'm trying not to panic. But I'm scared that this is going to happen to any saved game I try to play... Should I risk opening another save, or just cut my losses and reinstall everything?

I just saw another post about someone whose Sim randomly disappeared while she was not in-game and the game registered it as a death. Is this what happened to me?

ANY help is appreciated at this point.

-von
I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited June 2014
    I had it happen to me once, where I got a bad save. It could have been something had happened while it was saving. I started up a new game file, and did not see a repeat of that issue that caused the problem. At that time I did not have any mods or CC in my game either.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited June 2014
    Is this the first time seeing it? Close without saving if you can help it and restart the game. I've had sim portraits go blank before and restarting the game or picking up the house+household in edit town mode then placing them back down worked.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    edited June 2014
    LaBlue0314 wrote:
    I had it happen to me once, where I got a bad save. It could have been something had happened while it was saving. I started up a new game file, and did not see a repeat of that issue that caused the problem. At that time I did not have any mods or CC in my game either.

If that were the case, though, would there not be a ".bad" file in my saves folder?

It may have been a new save, but I'd already put so much work into it... I had a Sim with close-to-max guitar and painting skills, level 9 in music career, with a fine arts degree. And all of it is gone.

Is there any way I can salvage any of it?
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Is this the first time seeing it? Close without saving if you can help it and restart the game. I've had sim portraits go blank before and restarting the game or picking up the house+household in edit town mode then placing them back down worked.

I tried closing without saving, didn't work. When I reload, it's the exact same thing. My 3 Sims and their cat are all missing.

I made a copy of the town to try your second suggestion with. Maybe it will work, I hope.

Sigh.
    -von

• Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited June 2014
    If it was a bad save you can go into your saved games folder and delete the folder if you game title that ends in extention .bad, that could help.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If it was a bad save you can go into your saved games folder and delete the folder if you game title that ends in extention .bad, that could help.

And that's just it: as I mentioned in the opening post, there is no ".bad" file in my saves folder.

I'm in the queue for live chat, just in case Simisaurus' suggestion doesn't work. Sad face. Not how I wanted to spend my evening.

• Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited June 2014

And that's just it: as I mentioned in the opening post, there is no ".bad" file in my saves folder.

I'm in the queue for live chat, just in case Simisaurus' suggestion doesn't work. Sad face. Not how I wanted to spend my evening.

Oh, man, I'm sorry I didn't see that part, sorry! :( I hope you find a solution.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Oh, man, I'm sorry I didn't see that part, sorry! :( I hope you find a solution.

Thanks. I hope so too... As far as I know, my game is up to date, but Deepak from life chat sent me a super patcher and said it should fix everything. He says to just reinstall the base game, but I'm afraid I'll lose all my stuff.

If not, then I've found a temp fix: moving the household to the library and replacing the lot wasn't enough, so I copied the household to the library and deleted the original, then put the copy back into the house. All their relationships are gone, obviously, but it's better than nothing.

I might try one more thing before uninstalling. Good thing I copied the town, huh.

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited June 2014

Thanks. I hope so too... As far as I know, my game is up to date, but Deepak from life chat sent me a super patcher and said it should fix everything. He says to just reinstall the base game, but I'm afraid I'll lose all my stuff.

If not, then I've found a temp fix: moving the household to the library and replacing the lot wasn't enough, so I copied the household to the library and deleted the original, then put the copy back into the house. All their relationships are gone, obviously, but it's better than nothing.

I might try one more thing before uninstalling. Good thing I copied the town, huh.
    Sorry you are having problems :(

Before you go uninstalling, I would perhaps post this in the tech section and see if anyone else has a solution for you. EA Live Chat are notorious for telling people to uninstall and reinstall. It is not always the answer but it keeps you out of their hair for a while because it takes time!
  • Options
    BobboBobbo Posts: 1,471 Member
    edited June 2014
    You could also try resetting all the Sims by doing a

resetsim *

In a chat window.

ETA: I remember there being a fix using DebugEnabler, a mod, from NRAAS. Of course, that would mean adding a mod to your game.
  • Options
    PepsiCocaPepsiCoca Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm sorry for reviving this thread, but I'm having this exact same issue and I think this is a game-breaking bug. The portraits of the sims won't show, and anytime you order them to do something, they just dissapear, teleport, or start doing a T-Pose. Eventually this will happen to the whole town, making the game absolutely empty and unplayable.

It will keep happening even if you start a clean, vanilla save without mods. So far the only solution I see is reinstalling, which sucks...
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    @PepsiCoca
    Hi there, perhaps you might like to post a thread in the technical threads:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/technical-discussions-en
    There's many active and helpful players over there and you may get a response quicker. as this thread is from 2014, the OP and others may or may not be around still.=)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    PepsiCoca wrote: »
    I'm sorry for reviving this thread, but I'm having this exact same issue and I think this is a game-breaking bug. The portraits of the sims won't show, and anytime you order them to do something, they just dissapear, teleport, or start doing a T-Pose. Eventually this will happen to the whole town, making the game absolutely empty and unplayable.

It will keep happening even if you start a clean, vanilla save without mods. So far the only solution I see is reinstalling, which plum...
    It would usually be worth it to first try starting a new game or force the game to spawn a new, no content TS3 user game folder in Documents and see how things go from there.

Unless hard drive damage is happening, the game's Program Files do not typically change with usage and that's what a reinstall affects. Reinstalling is often unnecessary and unfortunately doesn't tend to fix anything if the real culprit is elsewhere.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    That UI failure issue happened to me once when I was new to the game in 2012 and was still playing Mod-free after the family I was playling had their baby taken by the game social worker and the save slowly became so corrupted that I had a toddler able to be directed to do all kinds of adult interactions with his mum including adult romantic actions and other sims had interaction menues not matching ages.It was a badly broke save and that's one way the UI can break.I couldn't even open the save after that UI failure session and ended up deleting it.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The player who revived this thread is having issues with their entire game install, not just one save that has gone bad. We are assisting them at NRaas (am assuming it's the same player since the symptoms described are exactly the same).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Game installs can be corrupted by a bad patch or a computer virus getting into the computer and another cause is installing from a faulty disk.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg