Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cloud Saves in The Sims 4 - Devs Please Reconsider this Decision

Comments

• enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited June 2014
    Jaline33 wrote:
    I agree. I wasn't very sure about cloud saves in SimCity at first. Then a few months ago I was playing (online but by myself and with the Invisible setting on Origin) . . .

I had been playing for about two hours and suddenly, without any warning at all, the power went out. I was devastated because I had made a lot of solid progress in my game.

After about 20 minutes the power came back on and I sadly resigned myself to re-doing all those hours of hard work.

Imagine my surprise - and relief! - when I logged back in and my SimCity game was exactly as I had left it when my power went out.

Believe me, that sold me on what a powerful tool Cloud saves are!

I always play my games (even The Sims 3) while logged in. I do turn my online notifications off but sometimes when I'm playing I think of something I want to know about so I minimize The Sims 3, Google what I want to find out, then close out and get back into my game again.

I never did that in The Sims or The Sims 2 - I always unplugged my Internet unless I wanted to use it for something specific.

Times, they are a-changin' . . . for me, at any rate. :D

LOL

This isn't a good reason to have cloud saves, it's a good reason to have a battery backup surge protector :wink: I always have ample time to save my game and safely shut off my computer whenever there's a power outage :mrgreen:

Cloud saves are only really useful for playing from a different computer.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited June 2014
    Alnairan wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:
    Are you willing to pay extra for that storage and the maintenance? Bodies have to be thrown at maintaining these servers (as well as possibly DBs) and it can become costly.

ETA: There have also been more and more security breaches for this type of storage. Dropbox is just one company that had class action lawsuits filed against them.

What about DDos attacks?

1 - Both Origin and Steam have cloud saving. They do not make their users pay extra for it.
    2 - There are no documented security breaches on clouds that are just for game saves. That's all that Origin's cloud stores, your games, and nobody wants to steal that. If you game on a laptop, the risk of getting your laptop stolen is ridiculously higher than the risk of the cloud being hacked.
    3 - DDoS attacks come and go, and they do not affect the storage in any way because they do not delve into the user's personal information. They are just denial of service; you won't be able to use the cloud for a few minutes (until the attack is dealt with).
    You guys are missing the point. I'm not opposed to it for others that want it. However, servers and the storage of data, backing it up, etc... cost money. How long do you expect EA to provide this service to store your data (whatever it is) for free?

It's an additional cost to any company that does it not just EA. If they changed up and decided to pass the cost on to you would you still want it? Would you be willing to pay the same price as someone who stores more data than you?

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited June 2014
    and to add to Bluenote's questions. Let's say you want to be able to go back to Sims 4 when Sims 6 comes out for bit but you can't because Sim 4's EA servers closed down. What would you do then?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • atomic_roseatomic_rose Posts: 790 Member
    edited June 2014
    I would hope that this would be an option and not a requirement. My internet is garbage because of the rural area we live in and I know for a fact I would go over my limit and not be able to save anymore. I know I'm not the only one who would suffer because of cloud saves so I do hope that this is an optional feature if they decide to add it to the game.
  • AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited June 2014
    blunote00 wrote:
    You guys are missing the point. I'm not opposed to it for others that want it. However, servers and the storage of data, backing it up, etc... cost money. How long do you expect EA to provide this service to store your data (whatever it is) for free?

It's an additional cost to any company that does it not just EA. If they changed up and decided the pass the cost on to you would you still want it? Would you be willing to pay the same price as someone who stores more data than you?

I don't understand why you are playing with "what ifs".

They offer it for free already, and the companies that compete with them also offer it for free, I see no reason to worry about it being charged in the future.

And if they do pull a Nintendo and start to charge for storage (Pokémon Bank, five dollars a year), then people that do not want to pay can just go back to their local saves, since the suggestion is not for them to be replaced by cloud storage and EA already knows that only having cloud storage doesn't work.
    MadameLee wrote:
    and to add to Bluenote's questions. Let's say you want to be able to go back to Sims 4 when Sims 6 comes out for bit but you can't because Sim 4's EA servers closed down. What would you do then?

You can. You just need to use local saving instead. Nobody is asking cloud saving to replace local saving. Read the OP.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited June 2014
    MadameLee wrote:
    If the Sims 4 servers closed down it wouldn't matter if you had a cloud save or not. No one would be able to install their game.
  • moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2014
    Memina11 wrote:
    no its not and as a simmer i much prefer the old fashion way of saving and if there an auto save i will use this feature and i say no to any only features i went my game to remain offline and i would advise the original poster to use caution as this sort of tread can easly become a flame war :wink:

I agree with Memina! I don't want to always be online, if people want this Cloud Save I think it should be another program by choice for those who want it... I just want to save normally :?
    edited June 2014
    blunote00 wrote:
    Alnairan wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:
    Are you willing to pay extra for that storage and the maintenance? Bodies have to be thrown at maintaining these servers (as well as possibly DBs) and it can become costly.

ETA: There have also been more and more security breaches for this type of storage. Dropbox is just one company that had class action lawsuits filed against them.

What about DDos attacks?

1 - Both Origin and Steam have cloud saving. They do not make their users pay extra for it.
    2 - There are no documented security breaches on clouds that are just for game saves. That's all that Origin's cloud stores, your games, and nobody wants to steal that. If you game on a laptop, the risk of getting your laptop stolen is ridiculously higher than the risk of the cloud being hacked.
    3 - DDoS attacks come and go, and they do not affect the storage in any way because they do not delve into the user's personal information. They are just denial of service; you won't be able to use the cloud for a few minutes (until the attack is dealt with).

It's an additional cost to any company that does it not just EA. If they changed up and decided to pass the cost on to you would you still want it? Would you be willing to pay the same price as someone who stores more data than you?
    If and when that happens, I will look at my financial situation and make a decision. I will see how much I am playing games on Origin and make a decision. Until that happens, I can't say I would or wouldn't pay.
    edited June 2014
    blunote00 wrote:
    Alnairan wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:

What about DDos attacks?

If and when that happens, I will look at my financial situation and make a decision. I will see how much I am playing games on Origin and make a decision. Until that happens, I can't say I would or wouldn't pay.
    That's all you had to say. Like I said I'm not opposed to it for those that want it. Just making a point that it does cost money for the company. It's easy to make request when the maintenance cost don't come out of your own pocket.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    edited June 2014
    blunote00 wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:
    Alnairan wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:

What about DDos attacks?

That's all you had to say. Like I said I'm not opposed to it for those that want it. Just making a point that it does cost money for the company. It's easy to make request when the maintenance cost don't come out of your own pocket.
    They already have the system it place. It won't increase the costs for the company by anything substantial. The game would just need to patch in the ability for players to use this option.
    edited June 2014
    They already have the system it place. It won't increase the costs for the company by anything substantial. The game would just need to patch in the ability for players to use this option.
    I'm going to agree to disagree. I'm just speaking from experience and I know it's not cheap.

But carry on. :wink:
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited June 2014
    I have Simcity and that save on the cloud thing is a good feature. I personally like that idea as I don't always save and if your game went wonky then that is best idea ever to have it auto save for you.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited June 2014
    MadameLee wrote:
    If the Sims 4 servers closed down it wouldn't matter if you had a cloud save or not. No one would be able to install their game.

If you purchase the hard copy, installing the game will not be an issue if a server is closed. Keep in your mind if you save your game to Cloud, how long it takes to save will depend on the number of users active on that server and the bandwidth of your ISP. Saving to your own harddrive is subject to the set up of your system alone. Saves to Cloud also leaves a file at risk of theft and/or contamination. IF EA uses Cloud, I beleive that a planted virus could be spead via the exchange.
    edited June 2014
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:

If you purchase the hard copy, installing the game will not be an issue if a server is closed. Keep in your mind if you save your game to Cloud, how long it takes to save will depend on the number of users active on that server and the bandwidth of your ISP. Saving to your own hard drive is subject to the set up of your system alone. Saves to Cloud also leaves a file at risk of theft and/or contamination. IF EA uses Cloud, I believe that a planted virus could be spread via the exchange.
    It already has been stated that you need to have the server authenticate the game if you bought a hard copy. It is like this for every game on Origin. This is stated in the EULA for every game EA has released. Having a disk won't matter if EA doesn't unlock the game and the serves shut down. There is no difference between hard copy and digital copy on this front.

Like I stated earlier, someone would more likely steal your Origin account information than your saved game if they were going to hack the server. Also, I don't understand completely the rest of the point you were trying to get at.
    edited June 2014
    blunote00 wrote:
    I'm going to agree to disagree. I'm just speaking from experience and I know it's not cheap.

But carry on. :wink:
    Oh no, I never said it was cheap. I agree with you that is not. I just stated the system is already in place and they have added several other games to the cloud save system and they keep adding more. It is just off putting they have not added this game to the cloud save system.
  • PLSTRONGPLSTRONG Posts: 249 Member
    edited June 2014
    To cover costs of storage on their cloud, if it was introduced, you will likely see the price of the expansion packs, etc, go up to cover this so called "free facility". Like a previous person said their is an increase risk of viruses being downloaded, point being their are some really nasty people out there that finds joy in ruining others entertainment. Apart from that as long as it is not forced on everyone, thinking about future sims releases, then I don't see it as a problem as long as EA do not increase the prices of games to cover it, I personally would not use it but I think if introduced then that's fine, it would be each individuals choice to make whether to use it or not.
    edited June 2014
    PLSTRONG wrote:
    To cover costs of storage on their cloud, if it was introduced, you will likely see the price of the expansion packs, etc, go up to cover this so called "free facility". Like a previous person said their is an increase risk of viruses being downloaded, point being their are some really nasty people out there that finds joy in ruining others entertainment. Apart from that as long as it is not forced on everyone, thinking about future sims releases, then I don't see it as a problem as long as EA do not increase the prices of games to cover it, I personally would not use it but I think if introduced then that's fine, it would be each individuals choice to make whether to use it or not.
    No prices would be raised, the system is already in place. Origin nor Steam have not raised the prices of their games to cover cloud storage. The Sims 4 is still $70 without the cloud saves. With the cloud saves, it would be the same price. The system isn't based on one single game but all the games Origin has as a whole.

Viruses could not be uploaded using the cloud save system. If someone were going to attach a virus to Origin, they would attach it to the heart of the Origin system as a whole rather than a cloud save only accessible by a single person. If one person gets the virus, it wouldn't affect anyone else who plays The Sims 4 or has cloud saves.

Other than that, thank you for your understanding opinion.
    edited June 2014
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:

If you purchase the hard copy, installing the game will not be an issue if a server is closed. Keep in your mind if you save your game to Cloud, how long it takes to save will depend on the number of users active on that server and the bandwidth of your ISP. Saving to your own hard drive is subject to the set up of your system alone. Saves to Cloud also leaves a file at risk of theft and/or contamination. IF EA uses Cloud, I believe that a planted virus could be spread via the exchange.

It already has been stated that you need to have the server authenticate the game if you bought a hard copy. It is like this for every game on Origin. This is stated in the EULA for every game EA has released. Having a disk won't matter if EA doesn't unlock the game and the serves shut down. There is no difference between hard copy and digital copy on this front.

Like I stated earlier, someone would more likely steal your Origin account information than your saved game if they were going to hack the server. Also, I don't understand completely the rest of the point you were trying to get at.

Once the game is recognized it should not demand access to the server again. All my The Sims games are register and none currently require and interaction with the server before I can play. If EA shuts down the server that authenticates the registration of the hard copy, the authentication process will be released...that is it will not be requried. I have seen this on other games that shut down their servers.

Several games that I play that use cloud, repeatedly warn players to gaurd their data and their accounts because saving data to the internet leaves it valumerable to theft or hacking bots.

Saving data to the internet requires a user to access the internet and transfer data; therefore, if your internet provider has a slow service, it will take longer to save the data. (Which doesn't matter if you are willing to wait.) If the internet is crashed or otherwise interrupted during the save, the game data may not be saved or may be corrupted. If many users are saving at the same time, the server will become congested which will slow down (called server lag) the process of saving data to the Cloud server.

If a player saves data to Cloud and it becomes inected with bots, viruses, or other damaging codes, then the player uploads that infected file to the Exchange and other download it directly into their game, the damaging codes can be passed between players. These codes could be harmless pranks, like turning everything in your lot pink, or it could be as serious as gaining access to your computer.

Does this help answer your confusion?
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    edited June 2014
    NO!

Is that plain enough for you?
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
    edited June 2014
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:

Once the game is recognized it should not demand access to the server again. All my The Sims games are register and none currently require and interaction with the server before I can play. If EA shuts down the server that authenticates the registration of the hard copy, the authentication process will be released...that is it will not be required. I have seen this on other games that shut down their servers.

Several games that I play that use cloud, repeatedly warn players to guard their data and their accounts because saving data to the internet leaves it vulnerable to theft or hacking bots.

Saving data to the internet requires a user to access the internet and transfer data; therefore, if your internet provider has a slow service, it will take longer to save the data. (Which doesn't matter if you are willing to wait.) If the internet is crashed or otherwise interrupted during the save, the game data may not be saved or may be corrupted. If many users are saving at the same time, the server will become congested which will slow down (called server lag) the process of saving data to the Cloud server.

If a player saves data to Cloud and it becomes infected with bots, viruses, or other damaging codes, then the player uploads that infected file to the Exchange and other download it directly into their game, the damaging codes can be passed between players. These codes could be harmless pranks, like turning everything in your lot pink, or it could be as serious as gaining access to your computer.

Each time you install the game it demands access to the sever. I never said the game would need access to the sever to play an already installed game. The Sims 3 is using an older system and is not using Origin to launch the game. The Sims 4 will be using Origin.

EA does not have to release its authentication process. They state this in their EULA. If they decide to shut down the serves physical and digital copies have the same chance of being playable. The authentication servers are tied into Origin for all games. If they get rid of Origin and don't adapt to a new system no one will be able to play unless they decide to release the authentication process.

Every website where you save data to the internet asks people to guard their information. Even this forum is storing the information I am typing right now into the cloud. It is also more likely someone will hack your account with your user id and password information for credit card information than someone would attack the EA servers in general to steal saved games of The Sims 4.

Of course sever lag and other problems can occur which is why there is the local save option. I can upload my game data later when the sever and my internet is working.

You can't upload saves into the Gallery in The Sims 4. I am not asking for this option. I am not asking to share my saves with others. If I do upload my save to EA's severs then I would be the only person who can access the save an only my computer would be affected if Origin doesn't delete the save first which it probably will.
    edited June 2014
    windweaver wrote:
    NO!

Is that plain enough for you?
    Nope. I need a reason why it is any of your business how I save my games.
    edited June 2014
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:

Once the game is recognized it should not demand access to the server again. All my The Sims games are register and none currently require and interaction with the server before I can play. If EA shuts down the server that authenticates the registration of the hard copy, the authentication process will be released...that is it will not be required. I have seen this on other games that shut down their servers.

Several games that I play that use cloud, repeatedly warn players to guard their data and their accounts because saving data to the internet leaves it vulnerable to theft or hacking bots.

If a player saves data to Cloud and it becomes infected with bots, viruses, or other damaging codes, then the player uploads that infected file to the Exchange and other download it directly into their game, the damaging codes can be passed between players. These codes could be harmless pranks, like turning everything in your lot pink, or it could be as serious as gaining access to your computer.

Each time you install the game it demands access to the sever. I never said the game would need access to the sever to play an already installed game. The Sims 3 is using an older system and is not using Origin to launch the game. The Sims 4 will be using Origin.

EA does not have to release its authentication process. They state this in their EULA. If they decide to shut down the serves physical and digital copies have the same chance of being playable. The authentication servers are tied into Origin for all games. If they get rid of Origin and don't adapt to a new system no one will be able to play unless they decide to release the authentication process.

Every website where you save data to the internet asks people to guard their information. Even this forum is storing the information I am typing right now into the cloud. It is also more likely someone will hack your account with your user id and password information for credit card information than someone would attack the EA servers in general to steal saved games of The Sims 4.

Of course sever lag and other problems can occur which is why there is the local save option. I can upload my game data later when the sever and my internet is working.

You can't upload saves into the Gallery in The Sims 4. I am not asking for this option. I am not asking to share my saves with others. If I do upload my save to EA's severs then I would be the only person who can access the save an only my computer would be affected if Origin doesn't delete the save first which it probably will.

I disagree.
    edited June 2014
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    Shadoza2 wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:

I disagree.
    With what part?
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited June 2014
    PLSTRONG wrote:
    How? I have never gotten a virus from the cloud save. I have Simcity and that is how that game saves.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • GdurmaGdurma Posts: 490 Member
    edited June 2014
    Okay, after reading through every single post on this thread, I have come to the conclusion that most of the people against what the OP suggests, didn't read and understood what she said, and rather, once they saw key words, felt anger so strong that they assumed she was just talking about replacing the old save system.

We get it, you don't want the online save feature to take over the normal local save feature. We don't want that either. What the people that are FOR the online save feature want, is an option to save both to our computer, and to Origin's online save if we are connected online.

Basically, I would assume it would work something like this:

At Bella and Mortimer Goth's wedding, they kiss, and they're eating cake. The animation for cake cutting starts when suddenly the game pauses, and the save prompt box pops up. There are two check boxes: The first that says, "Save to local file" Which, you would check. The second box says, "You are connected online to your Origin account. Would you also like to save to your Origin account?" And if you wanted to, you could check the box, and hit the accept button. You go through the saving time like normal, and then Bell and Mortimer go back to cutting the cake.

If you didn't want your save file to be uploaded to your Origin account, you simply do not select that check box.

I'm for it. Because there have been countless times where my computer will restart for updates, or my power goes out, or my cat steps on my computer power button.. and I have no time to save. This would be a bonus feature to help save your game. So many threads on the forums are titled: "Lost my 8th generation legacy save because..."

It would cut down on those posts by at least half, realistically.

Do I want my local saves to be replaced by an online Origin account save? Absolutely NOT.

Do I want both options, should anything happen to my local file? Absolutely!

Does this option hurt the people that don't want to save their files online? Nope. It only gives them the option to if they would like. It would still allow them to save their games to their PC.