Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cloud Saves in The Sims 4 - Devs Please Reconsider this Decision

SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
edited August 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I think devs should change their mind and offer a cloud save function for those who want it in addition to the local save function in The Sims 4. A cloud save function allows players to save their games to an EA server.

This option has the following benefits:

* It gives players an extra backup of their saved games without requiring additional hardware

* Players can access their games on any computer they want with ease that has the base game installed.

For those of you who disagree with this answer this one question:

What business of yours is it how others save their games?

Note: This is a spinoff of the other thread where I was disappointed there were not any cloud saves in The Sims 4. The mods thought I was talking about The Sims 3 and moved it to the ideas and feedback section.
Post edited by SweetieTreats on

Comments

• GizmonicInstituteGizmonicInstitute Posts: 1,551 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Whoa...deja vu. Weird.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited June 2014
    and how about you understand-the answer is still NO. Simscity 5 is a 'perfect' example of why they aren't going to be doing it.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Kellieann123Kellieann123 Posts: 507 Member
    edited June 2014
    Okay, it's been said before but let me restate it.

Cloud saves = Internet connection. MOST sim players play offline, and I for one am thankful that EA learned from the recent SimCity release where they crashed and burned due to their cloud saves.

EA is a money-making company, they want to appeal to the largest profiting audience possible. And they appealed to a niche in SimCity, and it didn't work. They aren't going to make that mistake again.

And your last comment seems rather rude. It's not that it's any of OUR business how you save your game, but it's also not in EA's best interest to offer it.

On the same general topic; They've already announced auto save. Which has enough people up in arms because if TS4 is any bit close to as glitch-filled as TS3 was... I sure as hell don't want it automatically saving for me in the middle of a glitch issue.
  • COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited June 2014
    MadameLee wrote:
    and how about you understand-the answer is still NO. Simscity 5 is a 'perfect' example of why they aren't going to be doing it.
    Reading op will tell you this idea is an option to be alongside with the normal saving, becides why are you comparing a offline game like this and a always on game like simcity like it will replace the saving we already have? :?
  • AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited June 2014
    Please, people, READ BEFORE POSTING. Not only the OP, but the interviews, other gaming forums and information on exactly why SimCity failed.

1 - Modern AAA games have both local and cloud saving.
    2 - EA already offers both options for their games, and it is odd that they won't offer it for a game of one of their most popular franchises.
    3 - THE OP WANTS BOTH OPTIONS, NOT ONLY CLOUD SAVING.
    4 - Auto saving won't overwrite your regular save. If something bad happened, like a glitch, just load an older save, like in Skyrim. Graham said EXACTLY this on the latest interview.
    5 - The problen with SimCity was that it didn't have local save at first, just cloud save. THE OP IS ASKING FOR AN EXTRA OPTION, not for the existing option to be replaced, so stop saying "lol no cuz SimCity". Please, I beg you.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited June 2014
    I agree. I wasn't very sure about cloud saves in SimCity at first. Then a few months ago I was playing (online but by myself and with the Invisible setting on Origin) . . .

I had been playing for about two hours and suddenly, without any warning at all, the power went out. I was devastated because I had made a lot of solid progress in my game.

After about 20 minutes the power came back on and I sadly resigned myself to re-doing all those hours of hard work.

Imagine my surprise - and relief! - when I logged back in and my SimCity game was exactly as I had left it when my power went out.

Believe me, that sold me on what a powerful tool Cloud saves are!

I always play my games (even The Sims 3) while logged in. I do turn my online notifications off but sometimes when I'm playing I think of something I want to know about so I minimize The Sims 3, Google what I want to find out, then close out and get back into my game again.

I never did that in The Sims or The Sims 2 - I always unplugged my Internet unless I wanted to use it for something specific.

Times, they are a-changin' . . . for me, at any rate. :D
  • SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited June 2014
    MadameLee wrote:
    Reading op will tell you this idea is an option to be alongside with the normal saving, becides why are you comparing a offline game like this and a always on game like simcity like it will replace the saving we already have? :?
    Your point is? There are several games that have both options. As I state in the OP, what business of yours is it what option I use for my game? I don't think it is any of your business how I decide how to save my game. Just like it is none of your business if I decide to use the gallery or not.

Note: My response was to MadameLee I was agreeing with what coolgame8013 was saying and adding onto it.
    edited June 2014
    Okay, it's been said before but let me restate it.

Cloud saves = Internet connection. MOST sim players play offline, and I for one am thankful that EA learned from the recent SimCity release where they crashed and burned due to their cloud saves.

EA is a money-making company, they want to appeal to the largest profiting audience possible. And they appealed to a niche in SimCity, and it didn't work. They aren't going to make that mistake again.

And your last comment seems rather rude. It's not that it's any of OUR business how you save your game, but it's also not in EA's best interest to offer it.

On the same general topic; They've already announced auto save. Which has enough people up in arms because if TS4 is any bit close to as glitch-filled as TS3 was... I sure as hell don't want it automatically saving for me in the middle of a glitch issue.
    I don't see your point. Most Simmers can play offline but if I decide to use online features like cloud saves and the gallery, it is none of your business or any other Simmer's business. Cloud save is not the same thing as auto save. Cloud saves are when you save your games to EA's servers.

Also, auto save is optional. You don't have to use it. You can turn it off. So if someone decides to use auto save, it really is none of your business. I think auto save is a great feature and I will be using it. Other players like you won't be able to stop me.
  • JHBrownJHBrown Posts: 566 Member
    edited June 2014
    Please do not reconsider! :cry:
    edited June 2014
    JHBrown wrote:
    Why shouldn't they?
  • LadyWhiteFaithLadyWhiteFaith Posts: 254 New Member
    edited June 2014
    JHBrown wrote:
    Why shouldn't they?

I agree with SweetieTreats. Why shouldn't they? It's time for people to realize that technology moves forward, and that cloud-saving is a necessity for a lot of players.

No one is trying to make you save cloud-only; that's why TS4 will have local-saving as the default saving-option.

I would love a cloud-saving feature for TS4.
  • LadyWhiteFaithLadyWhiteFaith Posts: 254 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Alnairan wrote:
    Please, people, READ BEFORE POSTING. Not only the OP, but the interviews, other gaming forums and information on exactly why SimCity failed.

1 - Modern AAA games have both local and cloud saving.
    2 - EA already offers both options for their games, and it is odd that they won't offer it for a game of one of their most popular franchises.
    3 - THE OP WANTS BOTH OPTIONS, NOT ONLY CLOUD SAVING.
    4 - Auto saving won't overwrite your regular save. If something bad happened, like a glitch, just load an older save, like in Skyrim. Graham said EXACTLY this on the latest interview.
    5 - The problen with SimCity was that it didn't have local save at first, just cloud save. THE OP IS ASKING FOR AN EXTRA OPTION, not for the existing option to be replaced, so stop saying "lol no cuz SimCity". Please, I beg you.

I agree 100%; people keep pointing at SimCity when it comes to online-saving. The problem with SimCity was that it only had cloud-saving for a year, and just recently they allowed us to save locally (I said this 10 times already). People just point at things, without knowing what they are talking about, without knowing the situation.

No one is trying to take away the local-saving from you, in fact EA stated that it will be the default-saving option; the OP (and I) just want cloud-saving as an additional saving-feature. It is optional, and if you don't want it, then feel free not to use it.
    MadameLee wrote:

You've already said this like 5 times on different threads. We get your opinion. No one obliges you to save cloud-only, so feel free not to use that feature. Technology moves on, with or without you.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    edited June 2014
    no its not and as a simmer i much prefer the old fashion way of saving and if there an auto save i will use this feature and i say no to any only features i went my game to remain offline and i would advise the original poster to use caution as this sort of tread can easly become a flame war :wink:
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited June 2014
    You've listed the benefits for it but are there any sort of drawbacks or disadvantages to it? I'm just wondering because I don't want anything to affect my single player game in any way and I haven't heard of cloud save until now (I've never played Simcity). I normally never use online features but I realize this is an option for those who don't want it. I'm probably not gonna use it but it's fine for the people who do want it as long as I know both the advantages and disadvantages (if there are any).
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited June 2014
    Are you willing to pay extra for that storage and the maintenance? Bodies have to be thrown at maintaining these servers (as well as possibly DBs) and it can become costly.

ETA: There have also been more and more security breaches for this type of storage. Dropbox is just one company that had class action lawsuits filed against them.

What about DDos attacks?

Post edited by Unknown User on
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
    edited June 2014
    blunote00 wrote:
    Are you willing to pay extra for that storage and the maintenance? Bodies have to be thrown at maintaining these servers (as well as possibly DBs) and it can become costly.

ETA: There have also been more and more security breaches for this type of storage. Dropbox is just one company that had class action lawsuits filed against them.

What about DDos attacks?
    The feature is already built into Origin and Origin doesn't charge players for using it. There is no extra fee associated with the service. Also, those who are worried about security, don't have to use the feature.
  • bunchie05bunchie05 Posts: 89 Member
    edited June 2014
    I AM COMPLETELY AGAINST IT! I have simcity 5 and I use my laptop for all my games. With the offline feature, if you save on the cloud, it's like save as. But if you're suing offline, you save to you pc and worse you can't save to the cloud or retrieve your previous game. One more thing, it will be saving as two separate game. Meaning online mode and offline mode and neither ever being able to intergrade with one another. So no thanks
    edited June 2014
    Moonbarker wrote:
    You've listed the benefits for it but are there any sort of drawbacks or disadvantages to it? I'm just wondering because I don't want anything to affect my single player game in any way and I haven't heard of cloud save until now (I've never played Simcity). I normally never use online features but I realize this is an option for those who don't want it. I'm probably not gonna use it but it's fine for the people who do want it as long as I know both the advantages and disadvantages (if there are any).
    SimCity is not the only game that offers this option. Most games on services like Steam offer this option. MadameLee only play The Sims series and is not a real gamer so she doesn't understand that SimCity is not the only game with cloud saves.

The disadvantages would be that you couldn't access the cloud saves unless you were connected to the internet. The sever where the Cloud saves are stored would have to be functional. Since the game also saves locally while cloud saving, you could still access your local saves. Your local saves would not be affected in any way. Saving this way doesn't affect other players just like if you autosave your game, it doesn't affect other players.
    edited June 2014
    bunchie05 wrote:
    I AM COMPLETELY AGAINST IT! I have simcity 5 and I use my laptop for all my games. With the offline feature, if you save on the cloud, it's like save as. But if you're suing offline, you save to you pc and worse you can't save to the cloud or retrieve your previous game. One more thing, it will be saving as two separate game. Meaning online mode and offline mode and neither ever being able to intergrade with one another. So no thanks
    You are completely wrong on what cloud saves are. This is not how it works. Also, why does it affect you if I want to save my game in the cloud? If you don't want to save your game in the cloud, you have the option not to just like you have the option not to use autosave.
  • Peeled_ApplesPeeled_Apples Posts: 37 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I don't understand why people are against it. :s

I personally don't like using cloud saving but as an extra option along with local saving would not bother me in the slightest. o.O
    As long as there's local saving then I don't see any problem.

Cloud only = big no no
    Cloud as an option = fine and dandy :p
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited June 2014
    blunote00 wrote:

What about DDos attacks?
    The feature is already built into Origin and Origin doesn't charge players for using it. There is no extra fee associated with the service. Also, those who are worried about security, don't have to use the feature.
    I'm not talking about it being built into Origin. What I'm talking about is the actual storage on the server. Servers and what's needed behind the seens comes at a cost. Do you expect EA to keep storing your data on their servers or VMs for free?

You want this for Sims 4 but you didn't really answer my questions which from a technology point of view are valid. Have you ever worked on servers before to know how they really work?

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited June 2014
    It amazes me that people don't comprehend what is meant by optional. There seems to be some sort of knee-jerk response that assumes that offering an option will affect how they want to play.

It is an excellent idea for allowing one to play the same game from computer to computer. I play on my desktop. But with this feature I can take my laptop with me and continue playing the same game while on vacation. But I do agree that it would be an extra service one would have to pay for. Someone has to maintain those servers. That costs money.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited June 2014
    blunote00 wrote:

What about DDos attacks?

1 - Both Origin and Steam have cloud saving. They do not make their users pay extra for it.
    2 - There are no documented security breaches on clouds that are just for game saves. That's all that Origin's cloud stores, your games, and nobody wants to steal that. If you game on a laptop, the risk of getting your laptop stolen is ridiculously higher than the risk of the cloud being hacked.
    3 - DDoS attacks come and go, and they do not affect the storage in any way because they do not delve into the user's personal information. They are just denial of service; you won't be able to use the cloud for a few minutes (until the attack is dealt with).
    blunote00 wrote:
    I'm not talking about it being built into Origin. What I'm talking about is the actual storage on the server. Servers and what's needed behind the seens comes at a cost. Do you expect EA to keep storing your data on their servers or VMs for free?

You want this for Sims 4 but you didn't really answer my questions which from a technology point of view are valid. Have you ever worked on servers before to know how they really work?

You are creating a problem and ignoring the original suggestion, which is ORIGIN OFFERING IT (since it already offers to other games). It doesn't matter if you are not talking about Origin offering it, the OP is.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
    edited June 2014
    blunote00 wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:

What about DDos attacks?
    I'm not talking about it being built into Origin. What I'm talking about is the actual storage on the server. Servers and what's needed behind the seens comes at a cost. Do you expect EA to keep storing your data on their servers for VMs for free?

Knowing how servers work has nothing to do with it. I have cloud saves in both Origin and Steam. Neither Valve or EA has charged me a penny for my cloud saves. So yes, I expect not to be charged for my cloud saves.
    edited June 2014
    Alnairan wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:

What about DDos attacks?

1 - Both Origin and Steam have cloud saving. They do not make their users pay extra for it.
    2 - There are no documented security breaches on clouds that are just for game saves. That's all that Origin's cloud stores, your games, and nobody wants to steal that. If you game on a laptop, the risk of getting your laptop stolen is ridiculously higher than the risk of the cloud being hacked.
    3 - DDoS attacks come and go, and they do not affect the storage in any way because they do not delve into the user's personal information. They are just denial of service; you won't be able to use the cloud for a few minutes (until the attack is dealt with).
    This. If someone was going to hack Origin or Steam, they wouldn't hack it for someone's saved games, they would hack it for someone's credit card/personal information.