Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Farming Challenge with a Twist

123457...Next

Comments

• RaeNicRaeNic Posts: 767 Member
    edited September 2014
    I really like this challenge, but have been having a lot of problems with the game as people have mentioned previously. I'm thinking of making a different house. Maybe that will help fix the issues I've been having. We shall see.
    Post edited by RaeNic on
  • zchase2315zchase2315 Posts: 44 Member
    @Reina:
    lol well I am glad your enjoying the story. I am working on Chapter 13 and 14 so there will be plenty to read.

@RaeNic:
    Yeah I think the farmhouse is pretty outdated. I am still having issue with it but its not too bad. Hopefully building a house yourself works better for you. I just use the house provide for this challenge because I am terrible at building.
  • ReinaReina Posts: 58 Member
    edited September 2014
    @RaeNick - I wasn't sure about the house either because I've had issues with older lots in my game. This one worked fine but I was also prepared to build a house that was looking similar to the one that's provided in this challenge.

@zchase2315 - Two chapters in one, that's awesome xD I did a story like that once but found that I got burned on the story really fast.. then again my main issue could be that I wasn't really having that much fun with the concept of it lol.

Also I'm wondering how fast you guys can afford updates and expensive things? I don't really want gen. 1 to be able to replace all of the interior but then again it seems to me as it's always too easy to get wealthy in sims.
    Destined_logo.png
    Yeah, this is the first major problem I've had with a game and it only happens when I play that family. I didn't have problems really when I started, but the more I played the more things went wrong. I'm almost finished with the house, so hopefully that will fix it (it's a bit larger than the original, but I love it so far!). I really want to start playing them again, though and haven't been able to because of the game crashing/freezing/not saving issues.

@Reina I've been struggling to make money in this challenge. I agree that usually it's not a real issue, but with the lack of funds and the fact that pops is a lazy fellow who does nothing and my teen is at school or working on homework, I have not been making money. I married a sim into the household before my game got really bad and that's helped a lot.
    I'm pleased to say that I finished my house and started playing last night. I didn't play for long, but so far the issues I have been experiencing have disappeared! Yay! I'm going to play some more today, but hopefully all is good. :)
    Reina wrote: »
    Also I'm wondering how fast you guys can afford updates and expensive things? I don't really want gen. 1 to be able to replace all of the interior but then again it seems to me as it's always too easy to get wealthy in sims.
    Not for me I have mod to prevent my sims from getting rich. For example the Music Career pays sims 21 simoleons an hour for being a fan but with the mod I use sims will only receive 1 simoleon an hour. Also I don't mind making updating and changes to the house because the house is too small for my sims to move around such as playing the guitar instead of playing in one of the upstairs bedroom they go all the way outside to play? I mean seriously how much room do you need to play an instrument that you carry in your hand? There are lots of interaction that I can't do because the size of the house which you'll see in later chapters.
    @zchase2315 haha I experienced the same thing with my sims! I didn't think the house was that small, but my sims had a different opinion. And, Wow! That must make your game extremely challenging. I like a challenge, but that may be too much for me. I think I'd get bored or frustrated.
    @RaeNic:
    Yes! I don't understand why a sim need some much room to do a basic interaction. I normally have to lock them in a room which they will either tell me there not enough room in here to do that or they move awkwardly around the room until they can do the act. It's so annoying! I hoping someone will make a mod to some of these route fails.

Actually its not that bad it really makes you work harder! I usually get promoted fairly quick if my sims family really needs the money. The only thing is I have to change the days when the bills come. So instead of having it Mon. and Thur. I have choose one day otherwise every sims expect for my household or very wealthy sims will be unbelievably poor this usually currents due to irresponsible spending, job doesn't pay much, jail fees, or child support... depend on what town I play in its mostly child support.
    @RaeNic - I'm glad to see that your game is finally running great for you. How's it coming along at this time? Will you post updates online? I'm actually happy to see that there's struggles when it comes to making money in this challenge. I usually grow bored around gen.3 because there's little for my family to strive for financially.

@zchase2315 - I'm super curious about what mods you're using? I've heard of the limited wages but not about child support etc. I'd love to play with reduces income and think I will look it up asap. Although probably not for this challenge if it is tricky enough as is. Unless it doesn't apply for produce, fish etc that you sell?
    Destined_logo.png
    edited September 2014
    @Renia
    The mod I am using does not affect produce, fish, or custom jobs and be found on Mod the Sims called Minimum Wage/More Realistic Earnings and only a few selected jobs suchs Medical, Education, Bookstore Clerk, etc. will be affected by this mod. The child support is from a different mod that I am using. But for this challenge I sell my produce at the consignment store because they will take a fee out of my profits vs the grocery store which will guarantee that I will get the money in full. If you do check out this mod I am using higher cost towards tuition and boarding school that come with the mod. lol I just check on the mod and it look like it has been updated since the last time I used it.
    @Reina It's still going pretty well. Definitely better than before where it got to the point that I couldn't even play that game. Yeah, I was thinking of maybe posting the story online somewhere. My teen (I made her a girl instead of the male teen that was in the download) just aged up into a young adult so I'm excited that I'll be able to do more with her.
    Also, from what I can tell, the mod for changing the rate of pay for some jobs that @zchase2315 uses seems like it would definitely help out with you not getting bored. I may even need to check it out and add it to my game. I have that same problem of getting bored. So far the challenge has kept me interested in and of itself, but I've had to fix and clean the house while finding a way to make money to pay the bills.
    @Raenic - I'd love to read it if you upload it :] I also made my teen a girl. I'm not even sure why since I usually creates guys in my game.. maybe to change it up some? I don't know lol. Maybe you can post a picture of her if not uploading the entire challenge? I did take a look at the mod mentioned but have yet to try it in game. I will probably just do the challenge for a bit, because I'm crazy busy these days, and so it won't bother me when it comes to how quickly Sims makes money. I like how produce etc. doesn't produce too much income.
    Destined_logo.png
    It seem like its been forever seen I posted on here. Well anyway I hope to work on releasing some more chapter real soon. If you're reading this post and you're new to the challenge check out how my sims got their start in Chapter One and here is a link to my lastest chapter: Chapter 13.
  • Sonshine77Sonshine77 Posts: 197 Member
    edited February 2022
    I know it's been a few years since anybody has posted here. I just found this challenge and liked the way it sounded. Here is my attempt at it. I started w/and elder man, Don Bellamy and created his son Arturo Bellamy. I chose Appaloosa Plains and an existing house which I made pretty run down looking. In respect to the rules, I am not altering the house structure until Joseph grows up to YA. I modified the house w/room to spare before anybody moved in. They had very cheapie everything. Here is the original house as I started.

House-Exterior.jpg

House-Interior.jpg

It was tough at first. Arturo had to "work on late homework" many times when he went to school. Also, sometimes he didn't get enough sleep and had to catch up when he got home. He found a couple or Red Berry Bean seeds and planted them. They now have many. Those are pretty lucrative. There was another time when he saw an unsmelted Plutonium nugget and bought it. That netted a nice profit! They started off w/just the chicken coop. It seems as though you can harvest the exotic egg almost every day. Also, only 1 chicken coop is needed to get chicks. There were a couple of times when he just didn't get to the eggs in time and they hatched. Eventually, they were able do really good and currently have the chicken coop, dairy corral, and 2 horses which I plan to breed. Here is the current farmhouse:

Currrent-Farmhouse.jpg

Farmhouse-Interior.jpg

Arturo eventually grew up and graduated Valedictorian and voted to be the most popular! He married Benni Hennessey and they have two sons Joseph and Benjamin. Interestingly, Joseph got a random black hair. Benjamin is just born so no pics yet. I peeked though and he has his dad's hair color.

Don or Gramps Don-Bellamy.jpg

Arturo Arturo-Bellamy.jpg

Benni Benni-Bellamy.jpg

Joseph Joseph-Bellamy.jpg

There was another time when one of the paparazzis caught fire and gramps put her out. It's truly amazing though that gramps is now 106!! Don helps out a little by caring for the animals (autonomously).

Edit: Just to make sure this is a reply to my first attempt, I'm adding to this post. I'm trying out https://modthesims.info/d/658435/functional-sheep-look-a-living-sheep-v1-2.html Lyralei's sheep on this one to see how it goes. So far, they're just now starting in spring. Up til now, it's been winter and all the sheep do is eat, drink, and stay in the shelter, lol. I've not done it yet, but it is possible to interact w/them.

Edit 2: If anybody sees this, so far at least for me, the sheep are just deco items that you can interact with. I'm sure she's working on getting the shearing functional.
    Post edited by Sonshine77 on
    edited January 2022
    I decided to start over b/c the last one was a bit too easy. The previous guy found a couple of Red Berry Beans and those a very lucrative.

Anyway, I d/led the house on page 1 and tried to delete part of the foundation to be able put the ladder inside of it, but that didn't work. I have the seasons set for a very long summer, short fall, and short winter and a short spring. I decided to play Riverview b/c I'm familiar w/that town and it does have a lot of resources. I took him and his dad to the park to fish and he found and picked a couple of Cosmos flowers and an Indian Blanket flower and cashed them in. I next took him to the abandoned mine and picked up a few gems and then to Sim Henge and picked up a couple more gems and some seeds. I sent the gems in to be cut and the couple pieces of metal also to be smelted. All told, they have a bit over $1700 now. I usually don't open the fridge and just click on it to prepare meals. I think I was curious how much of the last meal that was prepared was left. When I opened it, I was totally floored! Many of the fruits and veggies that he could plant as well as eggs and cheese!! I'll take him to the Elixir shop and consign all of the eggs and most of the veggies. He has a small garden planted in the front now and also has a puppy and a cat. The cat of course will keep them in good shape w/her hunting and the dog can help dig up gems. No horse or cows yet. I'll get the chickens when he graduates b/c he'll have more time then. I sent him to prom to see if he would gain a love interest and he did! I think I'll have to have her move in either just before or just after she graduates b/c she is a babysitter and often times, they either wind up getting culled or shipped off overseas so to speak. I don't want to lose her. In trying to put the ladder inside the foundation I discovered the secret which I won't disclose.
    edited February 2022
    Here is a bit of an update. Leon and Sally finally got married and now have a little daughter, Allegra and another on the way. When Sally moved in, she brought in a whopping $162.00!!! So they're sitting pretty good now. I have them in the celeb line up and they just got a dishwasher for free. They both graduated on the same day. He graduated w/an A and she barely w/a C. That's expected since she moved in only a day before. Here are some pics. Just click on the pic and it will become big enough to see.

Sally-Before.jpg

Sally-After.jpg

The graduation pics:

Leon-Graduates.jpg

Sally-Graduates.jpg

Also, I explored the secret and to be honest, as far as I can see, there is nothing except a cryptic msg. I don't know if there's more to that or not. Anyway, here is a pic of Sally exploring the wall:

Inspecting-Wall.jpg

Inspecting-Wall2.jpg

The only reason I included these is b/c I've never seen this graphics glitch before.

Edit: They only have 5 days left of summer so I bought some ITF garden rugs and put them in the basement. When the next generation takes over, I'll build a greenhouse outside.
    Post edited by Sonshine77 on
    As others above mentioned, this house is way too small for a family of 5. How much room does a sim need to bend down and give the toddler a bottle? Mom would go all the way downstairs and of course, the baby would sit at the top of the stairs. : / I moved the older daughter down to the basement. All three kids share a bedroom down there. When the oldest daughter becomes a YA, I'm going to totally revamp that house and make it bigger and eliminate the 2nd basement/tomb. Leon married his high school sweetheart, Sally and they have 3 children Allegra, Wrenly (named for the small bird Wren), and Amelia. She wants one more and I'm debating whether to do it or not.

Here is Allegra as a toddler Allegra.jpg

Allegra as a teen Allegra-as-Teen.jpg

Wrenly as a Toddler Wrenly-as-Toddler.jpg