Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Backdrops Functioning Like In Sims Medieval?

For those that play Sims Medieval, do you reckon that the backdrops in Sims 4 will function like they do n=in Sims Medieval?

By this, I'm asking if people reckon that you would click on the backdrop and select, maybe, 'go shopping' or 'visit doctors' or something and they would travel there and then a pop up would come up and you buy things?

Just a little something that I just thought of.
Origin Username: LizzieMay +++ New friends are always welcome :)

Comments

• okesterokester Posts: 4,136 Member
    edited June 2014
    Hmm, you're probably right. And I'd be totally fine with that, actually.
    Origin ID: Okest3r_13 Check out my Sims 4 creations!
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited June 2014
    I hope not! I don't want rabbitholes anymore.

It looks like the world is open in Sims 4. We'll have to wait for official confirmation on that, but it looks open to me. I'd bet more on decorative terrain objects than backdrops, despite a past survey mentioning backdrops.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • simmadness24simmadness24 Posts: 828 Member
    edited June 2014
    Yes, and no. I've mentioned this previously because the background to the city just had that far away look like in Medieval. However, I think this time when we click on it we'll most likely get a short loading screen and then the game will load up the city and we can explore just like with previous worlds like World Adventures or University. An when we're ready to go back home I think you can click on a scenic backdrop of Willow Creek and be taken back home. Perhaps we can even have our sims move there where you can live in the city. :mrgreen: I always wished we could see the actual bustling town in Medieval but oh well.
  • ElmawaElmawa Posts: 2,281 Member
    edited June 2014
    yeah, I reckon. maybe, hopefully we will find out real soon!
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited June 2014
    If it's between rabbitholes and backdrops, I'd choose rabbitholes. At least in Sims 3 we can follow Sims to their work building and use the rabbitholes in storytelling. If we can't even follow our Sims to school/work then we lose some of the potential we've got for telling stories. I'd much rather wait for them to leave the building than drive home, though of course there is the space issue.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    enkeli63 wrote:
    I hope not! I don't want rabbitholes anymore.

It looks like the world is open in Sims 4. We'll have to wait for official confirmation on that, but it looks open to me. I'd bet more on decorative terrain objects than backdrops, despite a past survey mentioning backdrops.

I sort of agree it looks open but I would say semi open. I hope we get to see more of the town tomorrow because what I find very secretive is we haven't seen one building in all the pictures that looks like it is a community lot. The features say they visit parks and venues, I haven't see one venue, yet. Some parks maybe but not a venue unless that house out in the water is some sort of community lot. I think it's a real possibility we might click on sign post like in TSM and just send our Sims off to the woods like in TSM or to the village market. You know, that would be even worse than the work buildings (rabbit holes) in TS3.

This stuff is really making me hold back on ordering the game, I hope tomorrow reveals all we have been wondering about.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited June 2014
    If it's between rabbitholes and backdrops, I'd choose rabbitholes. At least in Sims 3 we can follow Sims to their work building and use the rabbitholes in storytelling. If we can't even follow our Sims to school/work then we lose some of the potential we've got for telling stories. I'd much rather wait for them to leave the building than drive home, though of course there is the space issue.

I agree! Admittedly it would save a ton of space in the neighborhood and I always want that. By the time I have loaded all the rabbit-holes and venues into a neighborhood there is barely any space left for houses. But I would hate to have everything jammed into a backdrop. I especially don't want shopping or restaurants to be in the backdrop or rabbitholes - they should be open - even if it means that they aren't added until an EP.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    Don't get me wrong I don't care if Sims go off world to work but what I would hate is like in TSM if they have to go to the grocery store they take that long walk (you are advised by the lessons to speed up the game) to get to the village market (a back drop) then you get a popup what to buy like in TS3. :?

Or when you send the king or queen off to hunt a bear in the forest (back drop) you click on the sign post near the forest to hunt a bear and get a popup what happened,...much like TS3's popups tell you what is going on. Gosh, I hope that stuff doesn't return in TS4. Because everyone fussed how they wanted to see their hero fight the bear etc. and I have to agree with that. The game auto goes into ultra speed then you receive the popup when it time for your Sim to emerge from the 'rabbit hole' 'backdrop'.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited June 2014
    I would not like that. :P
    What's great about an open world is the opportunities that may come up when traveling to other places. You may come across townies or other sims from other towns who happen to be visiting. You may see choice collectables or whatever EA may plant in the open world.

I also don't like sitting there while my sim does something off-screen. That made Medieval very boring.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    edited June 2014
    TSM was a title that just seemed like it was forced, it didn't feel like a Sims title at all. The very first thing was the world. Not very big even if the map, forest, village and dock made it seem like there was more...you quickly discovered there was not. You couldn't build a thing from scratch, just furnish what premade buildings they allowed you to. There weren't any homes for the townies, just your heroes. Literally the things that could have been fun to do took place in these 'backdrops'. Not to say I didn't enjoy the hammy sword fights, the pit monster, magic was kind of cool in a way, mining ore for neat armor or weapons, harvesting plants, curing sick Sims or writing songs and poems as the bard...there were things to enjoy it just never took place outside of this little kingdom. The fun wore off as soon as you selected a new monarch and discovered that you went right back to a reset version of the kingdom you were just in.

I would very much not like them to lean on these rabbit holes and backdrops so much that it feels like TSM in that they were used for everything beyond your kingdom. Would people have enjoyed it if World Adventures was a cab ride out of town and then you came back some hours later with some item or maybe cursed by a mummy (in the style of graveyard catacombs) and never got to cruise around in Egypt, China or France? I don't think so. It would have flopped big time. The Time Machine was that way, you just went in and got some text about how thrilling it was. Was it? I never saw it. My awesome invention led to an anti-climatic career peak. ITF was more like it could have been, you had a new world and all of these new things to look at. You saw results, not some text that summarized it in a few sentences.