The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's Talk About... Opportunities and Chance Cards

Hi :D

I can't sleep so I thought I would start a new thread about what The Sims 4 would be doing about career opportunities and chance cards. We've probably read somewhere about how we can unlock clothes and items through achievements in the game (which I think is like when Sims 3 first came out you could unlock stuff for free at the store) so I was wondering what everyone thought on the subject.

How do you reckon this will be done? Do you think there will be an opportunity to turn it off? Which would you prefer, opportunities or chance cards?

Thankyou. I look forward to hearing from you.
Origin Username: LizzieMay +++ New friends are always welcome :)

Comments

• knh330knh330 Posts: 1,593 Member
    edited June 2014
    Are the "chance cards" kind of like what they had in Sims 2? I really liked those, when a random scenerio would happen at your sim's job and you had to decide what happened, and it could cost your sim their job. I really want that back. If I'm not mistaken, there's no easy way to get fired from Sims 3 except not turning up for a few days. I want those pop-ups back. They made gameplay a little more interesting and it always kept me on my toes.

I wouldn't mid unlocking outfits. It really made no difference to me in Sims 3. Just a short note on clothes and unlocking them: I really hope we don't start off with all the clothes to our disposal when first playing. I want to buy clothes again.

But, I'd really like random career opportunities in Sims 4. I'd prefer the Sims 2 style over the Sims 3 style, where there's negative consequences (getting fired, getting demoted, losing a skill point, losing a day's worth of pay).
  • Lizziemay12Lizziemay12 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited June 2014
    Yeah that's what I was thinking along the lines of. You guessed right, I was thinking of Sims 2 and Sims 3 versions. Who knows? Maybe they have thought up an entirely new system with these emotions they've added in?
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited June 2014
    knh330 wrote:
    Are the "chance cards" kind of like what they had in Sims 2? I really liked those, when a random scenerio would happen at your sim's job and you had to decide what happened, and it could cost your sim their job. I really want that back. If I'm not mistaken, there's no easy way to get fired from Sims 3 except not turning up for a few days. I want those pop-ups back. They made gameplay a little more interesting and it always kept me on my toes.

I wouldn't mid unlocking outfits. It really made no difference to me in Sims 3. Just a short note on clothes and unlocking them: I really hope we don't start off with all the clothes to our disposal when first playing. I want to buy clothes again.

But, I'd really like random career opportunities in Sims 4. I'd prefer the Sims 2 style over the Sims 3 style, where there's negative consequences (getting fired, getting demoted, losing a skill point, losing a day's worth of pay).

What was great about that was that, even if you got the same chance card, outcomes could be different!
  • KyliesThoughtsKyliesThoughts Posts: 698 Member
    edited June 2014
    knh330 wrote:

Those were fun, I really hope we get those back! I kinda like not knowing whether or not my decisions will get my sims fired or not. :lol:
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited June 2014
    I feel after TS2 EA "babies" us too much.

Our action no longer have harsh consequences... I actually like that. The shiver in my spine before I make a choice.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    I feel after TS2 EA "babies" us too much.

Our action no longer have harsh consequences... I actually like that. The shiver in my spine before I make a choice.

you could blame on how "Tame" Sims 3 was on the guy who had a fit over CC skins (like the ones a certain troll who has an Odepius complex downloads)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited June 2014
    Blame me for it, but i prefer the Chance Cards over the Opportunities...

Those were so fun in TS2. I liked the randomness of them, even if the consequences were harsh and all, i always liked having more difficulty. I also always chose the options according to my Sims's personalities (what could go better with them :lol:).
  • v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited June 2014
    Chance Cards - i think that they were neat sometimes, even trough i would prefer to see the action myself.

Oportunities - Lame,uncreative and repetititve. Results of someone who was trying to turn Thesims into an MMORPG and making em like quests.
    jr73Y.gif

• Lizziemay12Lizziemay12 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited June 2014
    The opportunities are different if you are, say, doing a Difference In the Family Tree challenge for you wouldn't get the culinary ones again if you have already had a placeholder with that career. What I am saying is having repetitive opportunities is avoidable, but you might want to avoid going to the WA places all the time...
  • anessesanesses Posts: 124 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I loved that my Sims could have the chance to get fired (or gain a skill point, or get promoted, etc.) just out of the blue. I think it added depth the the gameplay. Having your lifetime aspiration be to get to the top of a career was really no challenge in TS3. I think it'd be nice to be able to, like, grovel to your boss for your job back after getting fired. If you have a good relationship with your boss you could get your job back at the level you got fired at, an okay relationship you could go down a level or two, an a bad/nonexistent one they'd just tell you to go away.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    knh330 wrote:

What was great about that was that, even if you got the same chance card, outcomes could be different!
    That sounds as if it were random... I wouldn't like that. Not if it's a kind of Russian Roulette where the game decides what happens to my sim, without even giving me a chance. I'd like it more intelligent than that.

(I welcome any quest like feature in the game, I like quests and if you don't, well, just ignore them)
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    knh330 wrote:

That sounds as if it were random... I wouldn't like that. Not if it's a kind of Russian Roulette where the game decides what happens to my sim, without even giving me a chance. I'd like it more intelligent than that.

(I welcome any quest like feature in the game, I like quests and if you don't, well, just ignore them)

To me a game that is totally predictble and repetitive is not "intelligent" in any way.
    jr73Y.gif

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2014
    v12creator wrote:
    To me a game that is totally predictble and repetitive is not "intelligent" in any way.
    I was talking about a Sims 2 feature that could find its way back into Sims 4.
    I like the idea, but more intelligent than the way this sounded to me.
    (I know you hate 3, you don't have to rub it in every time we meet :P )
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited June 2014

It was random, which is why I didn't like it. They did at least give you the option to ignore it though.

So do I. I really liked the opportunities in TS3, I found them far more interesting than the chance cards in TS2...mostly because you actually had to do something to complete the opportunities.
    34336_s.gif
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2014
    I prefer the chance cards myself, However chance cards was more about "What would be your response" and selecting the right response will reward you and selecting the wrong one will discipline you. I think it may be interesting to somehow use both options.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited June 2014
    Even trough you got the wrong choice with chance cards, the good thing is that it aded a bit more of drama and challenge to the game, unlike in TS3, everything is easy,pretty and perfect...wich is not exactly a good thing.
    jr73Y.gif