Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

There is something about... Photography

Dear Simmers, for all these years that I've been playing WA (since it came out) I have always had this problem with photography skill or more to the point with taking photographs.

I know that I am not a very good photographer myself but... why does it not list the subject you are trying to photograph properly?

Say, I'm trying to photograph my Sim playing guitar and it says.. "Hydrangea" even though the hydrangea in question is behind a very large tree which is behind the Sim playing guitar that I want to photograph! and the hydrangea can not be seen by me.. but that is what the camera sees!

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there anything I can do to just photograph what I want, I try moving the camera around and it will be... Nice Garden... Garden Gnome.. etc. Anything but the subject I want to photograph.. needless to say that I have never bothered to complete photograph collections!

Comments

• CogitotoroCogitotoro Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, it's an issue. Try pointing the camera all over the place - I often have better luck getting the right subject if I point the camera at one end of it (for example, take a picture of someone's feet to get them to be "firefighter" and not "a group of sims" or whatever). The pictures end up being ridiculously far from what you'd take in RL. A lot of times if you take one picture of something, another option will show up the next time you try. For example, "my main squeeze" *click* "a sim using a computer" *click* "a family member." Same thing with taking pictures of a bunch of harvestables or collectibles - once one has been taken, the others might show up.

Good luck!
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    edited June 2014
    Thank you Cogitotoro, yes I have tried that.

I was taking a photograph of a mummy for one of the adventures and it kept saying "Sarcophagus" until I pointed the camera to the feet of the mummy, and then it said "mummy".

That was fine because I was going to give the photo away, but it's most annoying if you are trying to keep a photo to display at home, I would try photographing more if it was more accurate.
  • BobboBobbo Posts: 1,471 Member
    edited June 2014
    It can be an annoying thing for sure. My sim recently because a Snap Dragon and completed the Photo Museum LTW and about 7 skill journal collections.

To this day it irritates me that "Death Riding a Horse" is Death before getting on the horse and the second and actual picture of Death on the horse comes back as "My Pet".

If you really work at it you won't end up with that many pictures of feet. Many times it is not just about the angle but where you are standing in relation to the subject you are photographing. Keep it paused as much as possible to give yourself time to reposition your Sim if you are getting a lousy shot. If you are going for journals get the lousy shot first then try for something you would want to hang. It will annoy you by telling you to take something new when you do but sometimes it is the only way.

There is no way to get all of your shots perfectly centered and beautiful though and despite your best efforts you will get some shots of feet and an onion plant that looks a lot like an apple tree. :(:(
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, tell me about it! My Sims are thinking about opening a studio and hang all the feet photographs, call it "a study of feet" and also of "different plants that all look like apple trees!" I wonder how many Sims will it attract! Since they are attracted to the mos ridiculous things ever.

And yes, the little message "New today!" does irritate me, real photographers take loads of shots just to get the picture the way they want it and our poor Sims have to console themselves with a photo showing their thumb or the face of a garden Gnome!.

The amount of times that the garden Gnome face has been sold as a "treasure chest" and the thumb as a "pushable statue" is amazing.

Of course those were the days when my Sims did not know how to take photos... now days is different, they are level 10 on photography before their reach teen years and can take the best pictures ever.. of feet!