Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What exactly happens when the store is "down for maintenance."

As the title asks, I want to know what goes on in the store. What kind of maintenance do they do?

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2014
    Fix anything wrong with the store and the ability to buy stuff or download stuff. They also update it to match site and Origin maintenance as well. It is not a good idea to conduct any business when the store is being worked on. So don't try to buy, download, or do any of that kind of stuff from the store until you are sure it is back up completely and running right.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ThelessyThelessy Posts: 1,764 Member
    edited May 2014
    Most websites need some sort of maintenance now and then, usually it's to fix bugs or make any changes and update the software, that sort of thing.
    It's a bad idea to do that sort of thing while a website is 'live' because if someone is using it that can cause issues.

For example, if it's a website where you can buy things- if they are making some sort of changes/updates/bug fixes/security upgrades etc to the way the system works, if you make an order it may not go through properly because that section is down (even if the bit you can see is up) so it's generally best to just take the whole website down just to be on the safe side and avoid headaches.

Think of it like having a closed sign up in a restaurant while the kitchen is shut down for cleaning and oven repair so people don't get stuck at tables with no food.

Hope that helps :)

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    edited May 2014
    There is also the possiblity a store patch might have been put up of course if it has we probebly won't get notified till tomorrow.

Not saying they put one up but they could have.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2014
    They always do that when the site is live - that is why they send everyone a message in your messages before they start. If you choose to use it anyway - then good luck. I wouldn't.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited May 2014
    Kgaff wrote:
    As the title asks, I want to know what goes on in the store. What kind of maintenance do they do?
    Hello Kgaff. What happens when the store goes down is that you will likely get a page not available or some other message stating that you can't access this site for the time being. The reason why they do this is pretty much what Writin had explained to you. So I won't get into that since Writin has already done that. :D
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited May 2014
    Okay thanks everyone, that is what I thought but I hoped it meant that they would fix the bonus points or discount more sets and compilations.
    I understand the general maintenance part of it and they won't let you buy anything because it just goes to a "Be right back" page. I was just hoping for more stuff to go to CYS and lower prices.
  • CaptainTHPS4CaptainTHPS4 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited May 2014
    In addition to what everyone else said, I think they also use that opportunity to upload store sets in advance. It may not just be coincidence that a new release is coming next week :P
    My YouTube Channel!
    youtube.com/IronSeagull
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited May 2014
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    They always do that when the site is live - that is why they send everyone a message in your messages before they start. If you choose to use it anyway - then good luck. I wouldn't.

they don't send every one a warnign that the site will be down for maintainance...

I never get 1 ... same goes for many others that isn't in US
    SimGuruRusskii said it is becouse the warning is send out regional... it is still a problem not getting it even after all this time.

so beside if I see some one posting on the forum that it will be going down... or I see it acting up... I allways run the risk that they are working on it and havn't told us all.

on the subject on what they doing... well they fixing broken things (or trying) they adding new things... ectra....
    just as others have sid.
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited May 2014
    anettesb wrote:
    Writin_Reg wrote:

they don't send every one a warnign that the site will be down for maintainance...

SimGuruRusskii said it is becouse the warning is send out regional... it is still a problem not getting it even after all this time.

so beside if I see some one posting on the forum that it will be going down... or I see it acting up... I allways run the risk that they are working on it and havn't told us all.

on the subject on what they doing... well they fixing broken things (or trying) they adding new things... ectra....
    just as others have sid.
    This is why cat had posted a little reminder on this forum about the store going down for a few hours to undergo maintenance. It's for those of us whom don't get the message, or did get the message but didn't get to read it. :wink::D
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited May 2014
    sunman502 wrote:
    anettesb wrote:
    Writin_Reg wrote:

just as others have sid.
    This is why cat had posted a little reminder on this forum about the store going down for a few hours to undergo maintenance. It's for those of us whom don't get the message, or did get the message but didn't get to read it. :wink::D

I know thats why some post it
    but it is still luck if you go to the right forum befor you go to the store... and it really is a bad thing that they don't send the note to ALL custumors
    I got the excuse "but it is in english" and so? they auto translate so much ells (including thing int he game so it makes no sense) so why not do this? or jsut let us get the english note (thats better than no note)
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited May 2014
    They've had five years to come up with translations in several languages. It's not really a very long sentece: "The Store will be closed for maintenance between x hours and y hours on xx.xx.201x".
    Even the auto-translate can cope with that.
  • Shogo_YahagiShogo_Yahagi Posts: 838 Member
    edited May 2014
    Kgaff wrote:
    That's when they drop a monkeywrench into the sponsor ads.