Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Skyscrapers!

OMG skyscrapers are in the background! More exciting than any of the CAS content!!

Ujjjjntitled.jpg

Let's hope they aren't distant terrain and we can actually go there in the game. Maybe the setup is similar to SimCity, it's a different region we can visit.

Comments

• Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited May 2014
    I believe they may just be a backdrop, at least they look that way to me.
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited May 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    I believe they may just be a backdrop, at least they look that way to me.

Yeah they looked totally fake to me; like they're just part of the skybox (i.e. the background).
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited May 2014
    Looks like a backdrop or a new neighborhood when you click on it to go and a loading screen will appear and Sims will be in the city?
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited May 2014
    It looks like a backdrop to me, but I'm still hopeful that we'll get apartments to live in as well as houses in the base game.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited May 2014
    You guys...why would they include a backdrop like that and not allow us to go there? I think that line of thinking is just silly. This is a sandbox game. You don't build castles on the outside. If it were just distant terrain, they would have left it trees and hills. Maybe it will be closed off until an EP, but there is no way any company would dangle fruit in front of you and say sorry, that's just an image.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Mstybl95 wrote:
    You guys...why would they include a backdrop like that and not allow us to go there? I think that line of thinking is just silly. This is a sandbox game. You don't build castles on the outside. If it were just distant terrain, they would have left it trees and hills. Maybe it will be closed off until an EP, but there is no way any company would dangle fruit in front of you and say sorry, that's just an image.
    They would use a backdrop if people complained that towns in TS3 felt too isolated.
  • Options
    alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    edited May 2014
    I think it looks like a backdrop, but who knows? maybe it's like in Simcity 2013 the unplayable cities are backrops and when you click in them you can see the actual city, or if it was only a backdrop I think it looks so near to the world, and the neighborhood view would look strange.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited May 2014
    Mstybl95 wrote:
    Didn't WA have the Eiffel Tower, where sims couldn't even visit? I hope its not a backdrop but it does look like one.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Mstybl95 wrote:
    Didn't WA have the Eiffel Tower, where sims couldn't even visit? I hope its not a backdrop but it does look like one.

That's distant terrain and I could still place the Eiffel tower on a lot in any hood I wanted.
  • Options
    cowodyboycowodyboy Posts: 83 New Member
    edited May 2014
    They said there would be Nightclub's.....just saying
  • Options
    alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    edited May 2014
    cowodyboy wrote:
    They said there would be Nightclub's.....just saying

And Open Restaurants too!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    EA haven't officially mentioned anything about community lots. The only article I'm aware of that "confirmed" open restaurants was an April Fools' joke, and nightclubs are speculation based on the Prima Guide description and some Olympus concept art, but they're not officially confirmed.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    They did mention nightclubs at gamescon. And part of the preorder bonuses have more to do with nightlife than anything else. I'd say they are making that a focus of the base game.
  • Options
    SmokeyBearzSmokeyBearz Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited May 2014
    What if the backdrop could be replaced with a custom one?

I can imagine this, paired with a sub-hood system, could facilitate creating cc worlds while keeping the impression of living into a bigger environment. The backdrop could represent an infinite number of settings, from sci-fi and metropolitan to medieval and fantasy based. Just drag and drop a jpeg into x folder and voilà!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2014
    Mstybl95 wrote:
    They did mention nightclubs at gamescon. And part of the preorder bonuses have more to do with nightlife than anything else. I'd say they are making that a focus of the base game.

I watched the live feed at Gamescon. I don't think they said anything like yes there will be nightclubs. This was speculation, I think. Or was speculation from one of the early mag articles. The prima stuff you get for pre ordering could just as easily be used in a home than a community lot. We really still don't know if there are open venues at all in this game. They have mentioned a few in some places like a museum but nothing about dining out, or dancing or clubbing etc. I think Sims have to hold some events I norder to get promotions sometimes, who is to say the prima stuff in the preorders isn't for that to make a party go better or something? Really, they did not mention 'nightclubs'.

And the key features listed on the official Sim site says you can add 'backdrops' so I think those buildings are just that, a backdrop just like the other picture where the tutor houses in the background also look fake like a backdrop. For all I know the sky scrappers could be neighborhood decorations like in TS2's Nightlife EP.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    Mstybl95 wrote:

I watched the live feed at Gamescon. I don't think they said anything like yes there will be nightclubs. This was speculation, I think. Or was speculation from one of the early mag articles. The prima stuff you get for pre ordering could just as easily be used in a home than a community lot. We really still don't know if there are open venues at all in this game. They have mentioned a few in some places like a museum but nothing about dining out, or dancing or clubbing etc. I think Sims have to hold some events I norder to get promotions sometimes, who is to say the prima stuff in the preorders isn't for that to make a party go better or something? Really, they did not mention 'nightclubs'.

And the key features listed on the official Sim site says you can add 'backdrops' so I think those buildings are just that, a backdrop just like the other picture where the tutor houses in the background also look fake like a backdrop. For all I know the sky scrappers could be neighborhood decorations like in TS2's Nightlife EP.
    I agree with you on all of this, Cinebar, except for one thing - I never understood why some people thought those tudor houses looked like a backdrop. With the skyscrapers today, I could clearly see that they were 2D, but those tudor houses look very much 3D to me. There were some 2D looking trees between them and the active lot, but the buildings themselves looked 3D.
  • Options
    pieceofme07pieceofme07 Posts: 348 New Member
    edited May 2014
    It looks like a backdrop to me. :( Watched the video loved it cant wait to see more.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited May 2014
    It might be a separate district you can visit in game. And the only reason I'm saying that is because I don't see bars (which were confirmed in the pre-order bonus) or nightclubs (which are mentioned in the prima guide) being in the middle of suburbia. So maybe you have to visit the city to go to those places. And maybe this means there will be subhoods or subworlds this time around and we won't have to cram the content of every EP into one small map.
  • Options
    HeyHeyyHeyHeyy Posts: 465 Member
    edited May 2014
    Chimp2678 wrote:
    Looks like a backdrop or a new neighborhood when you click on it to go and a loading screen will appear and Sims will be in the city?

It looks like a backdrop to me, but I'm still hopeful that we'll get apartments to live in as well as houses in the base game.

this is wat i'm hoping. that its a different neighborhood. it does look like a backdrop tho :?
    GALLERY: jdm14_xx
    LIKE my page on FACEBOOK. @jm.violetsims14

<3
  • Options
    HaucusuchusHaucusuchus Posts: 118 Member
    edited May 2014
    Like others here, I think it looks like a backdrop, and might be there to give a believable "point of origin" for all those service sims that come from nowhere like in Sims 3. It could also be a placeholder for a latenightlife type expansion in future.

I even wonder if they won't do some kind of tie-in with Simcity, kind of like how Sims 2 did with SC4.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited May 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    Mstybl95 wrote:

From Simified's interview with SimGuru Graham
    Simified: Are there any new skills in The Sims 4? Any returning skills?
    Grant: There will be some new skills with The sims 4 such as bartending but also some familiar returning skills too, such as gardening, writing, cooking and painting. Cleaning is also there but it’s not a skill, like in The Sims 3.

I'm pretty sure this, the prima guide, and the limited edition bonus set/picture say that there will bars in the base game.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited May 2014
    In Sims 1 and Sims 2, they would often mention "SimCity". E.g "SimCity has noticed a lag in your payment of bills." It was basically just used for stories and such within the game. You'd assume that's where your Sims went for work too.

What if that city is SimCity in TS4? Instead of cluttering the town up with all these different work buildings, most of our Sims' jobs just take place in the city. Our towns would be composed of premade townies and randomly generated, SimCity visitors. Notice how the buildings look like the recent SimCity release too!
  • Options
    Slippy64653Slippy64653 Posts: 464 Member
    edited May 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    In Sims 1 and Sims 2, they would often mention "SimCity". E.g "SimCity has noticed a lag in your payment of bills." It was basically just used for stories and such within the game. You'd assume that's where your Sims went for work too.

What if that city is SimCity in TS4? Instead of cluttering the town up with all these different work buildings, most of our Sims' jobs just take place in the city. Our towns would be composed of premade townies and randomly generated, SimCity visitors. Notice how the buildings look like the recent SimCity release too!

I would really like that, because you will have more room for residental, and commercial lots, and have more sims in the neighborhood :D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    Mstybl95 wrote:

From Simified's interview with SimGuru Graham
    Simified: Are there any new skills in The Sims 4? Any returning skills?
    Grant: There will be some new skills with The sims 4 such as bartending but also some familiar returning skills too, such as gardening, writing, cooking and painting. Cleaning is also there but it’s not a skill, like in The Sims 3.

I'm pretty sure this, the prima guide, and the limited edition bonus set/picture say that there will bars in the base game.

That's basically what I read. I know that I read something about going out on the town. Of course it was a year ago so I don't remember from where, but many things point to there being a focus on nightlife and young adult entertainment in the base game.