Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Script error when loading the sims 3 game launcher

Comments

• SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    edited May 2014
    I also reset my browser settings to see if that would work. It wasn't a huge deal to me because I just use the default mostly anyway. Of course since I gave up, I'm now redownloading all of my store content and when it's done I'll check and see if that made a difference. I just recently downloaded another (non-Sims-related) game from Origin, do you think that might have something to do with it? Everything is up-to-date, I did all of that first.

Edit: The browser reset didn't work. Oh, well, thanks for responding.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • LBellLBell Posts: 3,511 Member
    edited May 2014
    I get it as well. Even on my brand new PC. Luckily it doesn't affect my game though. I just click the x and be on my way...:/
  • noodlesandmenoodlesandme Posts: 188 Member
    edited May 2014
    Looks like I may as well join in. Have been having script errors as well for three weeks. But I was able to load the game. Then I installed Into the Future, and now when I open the launcher, I no longer have the welcome screen visible. Oddly though, I can look at my downloads, etc on the launcher, but I'm missing the main page. Only able to get into the community by entering online, can't do it from the game. Strange.
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited May 2014
    @SweetieWright_84, @LBell, and @noodlesandme

Are you all in the USA?
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
    edited May 2014
    blunote00 wrote:
    @SweetieWright_84, @LBell, and @noodlesandme

Are you all in the USA?
    Yes, I'm in the US. I tried that link that (I think you posted) for the launcher and it never would show anything on the left side (the Play, Downloads, ect.). I tried it on Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and it was the same thing. I have noticed that it doesn't take nearly as long for my launcher to load now though, which has been an issue for a while. I just chalked it up to so much content installed. So that's a plus. :)
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2014
    There's different kinds of scriptErrors.

Could you post screen shots of yours ? If it's the sponsorpay one that is from the ads and EA is aware of this one.

Than there's one that says easySlider that also seems to crop up now and then. Not sure what that is about.

And then there's others so posting screen shots helps distinguish which ones you have.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

edited May 2014
    It pops up twice when I start the launcher. Once at start-up and after I've logged in.

zta758U.jpg
    edited May 2014
    Explanation of JavaScript Functions - w3schools.

The below isn't being called in your browser so it errs.
    It's for a new image from doubleclick.

sb21z8.jpg

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    edited May 2014
    @Blunote
    Ok, I have no idea what you mean. I'm not the least bit tech savvy and it all just looks like gibberish to me. Could you explain what that means and is there a way to fix it? Really my game runs fine, I'm just aggravated that it keeps popping up. Thanks for being patient. :)
    edited May 2014
    @Blunote
    Ok, I have no idea what you mean. I'm not the least bit tech savvy and it all just looks like gibberish to me. Could you explain what that means and is there a way to fix it? Really my game runs fine, I'm just aggravated that it keeps popping up. Thanks for being patient. :)
    The webpage in the browser is calling an image but it's not being returned. If you can get into the game then it's probably an issue on the server-side and not the client-side.

It's not the first time a doublclick ad or tag is borked on this forum or in the launcher.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/431357.page

It's something they will have to fix on the server-side.
    edited May 2014
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:

It's something they will have to fix on the server-side.

Evidently, it's an ongoing issue with that host because when I saw her image? I googled it and got a bunch of hits back from people searching that link as malware. I'm not saying it is malware! I'm just saying that the popular search for is as malware. I had to chuckle a little. I did double check though on one of the security check sites to make sure there were no reports on that link and it's clean.

If anybody is interested, just go to trend micro site safety center and type in the URL. It will return any information on it and if it is currently deemed as safe or not.

(4th time trying to post this....stupid Liam keeps showing up!)

Edit: I also saw a bunch of forum posts at various google sites where people were concerned because it kept "hanging" and causing lag issues with their browsers. They get error messages stating "Waiting for segment-pixel.invitemedia.com."
    Oh I wouldn't doubt it. The browser is waiting on the function to get an answer to send to the launcher that never comes. Hopefully, it does time out eventually. But just tell it no to running that script should still let simmers play. Let me say again, should. :lol:
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2014
    Ok guys, I was able to look up what the script was to me and it looks spurious and is not from Sims3.com as I looked for a Cname or A record in Thesims3.com and found nothing to match it, so than I looked it up to see if I could find any inconsistanticies. it seems to be part of the advertisement system of EA, but when I went to the site that it pointed to does not exist. So I am thinking now its some type of phasing site to trick people.

The one key thing is that Thesims3.com is a domainname and I traced the script by to a subdomain that has Sims3.com in it. This to me would suggest someone may have adware or spyware that is trying to change the launcher ads to their own site. I suggest you click the x botton.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that EA ads are server side and shouldn't ask for a outside script to run.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited May 2014
    With numerous yellow full-page Google-advertising about "security certificate expired for this site" while acessing to sims3.com site from Google search (yesterday I've got it again) I'm not so much calm - after reading those messages.
    I'm searching to change result "htpps" on "htpp" - sometimes works, sometimes result disappears.
    I'm not using launcher while playing and don't opening it never with all my store content installed (using one compressed clean store patched Sims 3 folder for it) - but I'm getting those scripts too when I have download Sims3Packs from site - then is becomes disturbing.
    Usually I don't permiss those scripts and content is however downloaded.
    Simpoints adds aren't showing more on my launcher, but I have neverending variety of error scripts on it (with Origin updated or not).
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
    edited May 2014
    Hi, lucyvp86!

Correct adress from here is "htpp" and I'm acessing on forum and account from my preferences from my browser ("htpp").

As I don't like asking questions, which were probably answered thousand times before, I'm using still Google search.
    While acessing from Google search (after found answer for some of my questions) I'm getting for long period on many (not on all) Sims3.com results "htpps" with yellow "security expired" screen.

As you can see, english isn't my mother language - but those words
    If anybody is interested, just go to trend micro site safety center and type in the URL. It will return any information on it and if it is currently deemed as safe or not.
    This to me would suggest someone may have adware or spyware that is trying to change the launcher ads to their own site.
    are making me doubting: if neverending scripterrors and this not renoved certificate (there are posts from many months a go about expired certificate and Sims3 has still fewer interesses from developers) are having something common?

Sorry, I'm not PC whizz and I would really like to see some ensurance from site owners here on forum - that this certificate is payed and we don't have to be affraid. :oops:

(Edit: added link)
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
    edited May 2014
    Sid1701D9 wrote:
    Ok guys, I was able to look up what the script was to me and it looks spurious and is not from Sims3.com as I looked for a Cname or A record in Thesims3.com and found nothing to match it, so than I looked it up to see if I could find any inconsistanticies. it seems to be part of the advertisement system of EA, but when I went to the site that it pointed to does not exist. So I am thinking now its some type of phasing site to trick people.

The one key thing is that Thesims3.com is a domainname and I traced the script by to a subdomain that has Sims3.com in it. This to me would suggest someone may have adware or spyware that is trying to change the launcher ads to their own site. I suggest you click the x botton.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that EA ads are server side and shouldn't ask for a outside script to run.
    Doubleclick does exist, see my post here.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/30/428077.page#6272561

It's probably the same type of issue (as it always is/has) been. Someone probably in Marketing since it's an ad, doesn't know how the software works and didn't add the tag, ad itself, image or whatever to the api for the software correctly. APIs get changed/updated all the time so this is nothing new. Or the actual API to ad the tags wasn't loaded on the server-side properly therefore the tracking tags are loaded incorrectly.

It's quite common and happens a lot as our (my employer's) own Marketing and Web Devs use the same type of software to track the hits, clicks, and whatever other kind of variable they want to track on the web. There are several companies that offer this kind of software and in most cases more than one company is used to gather whatever data EA wants to track. They can do this because Marketing (no matter the company), always get a big (I mean massively huge) budget.

ETA:
    Sid1701D9 wrote:
    I'm just going to say you've never seen this from the server-side and you really don't know how this works.
    edited May 2014
    With numerous yellow full-page Google-advertising about "security certificate expired for this site" while acessing to sims3.com site from Google search (yesterday I've got it again) I'm not so much calm - after reading those messages.
    I'm searching to change result "htpps" on "htpp" - sometimes works, sometimes result disappears.
    I'm not using launcher while playing and don't opening it never with all my store content installed (using one compressed clean store patched Sims 3 folder for it) - but I'm getting those scripts too when I have download Sims3Packs from site - then is becomes disturbing.
    Usually I don't permiss those scripts and content is however downloaded.
    Simpoints adds aren't showing more on my launcher, but I have neverending variety of error scripts on it (with Origin updated or not).
    As far as the certs, those things expire all the time but they should get renewed. You can go into the browser settings (whichever ones you use) and tweak the https/ssl settings to how you want your browser to react to expired certs. But whomever/whatever team that is responsible for updating certs could be behind.

I haven't got a cert expired error since the last time I responded to your issue. The scripts and the cert errors are tied to locale. Locale has always been an issue on this site.
    edited May 2014
    blunote00 wrote:
    As far as the certs, those things expire all the time but they should get renewed. You can go into the browser settings (whichever ones you use) and tweak the https/ssl settings to how you want your browser to react to expired certs. But whomever/whatever team that is responsible for updating certs could be behind.

I haven't got a cert expired error since the last time I responded to your issue. The scripts and the cert errors are tied to locale. Locale has always been an issue on this site.
    Thank you, blunotte00 :)
    While you were answering me here, I was searching link, where you have answered me before and I've linked it in post bellow - before I've read yours last message.
    Yes, I'm changing still htpps on htpp, but sometimes result disappears after this tweaking and I see "no results found" on this page.
    I'm getting those warnings oftenly from Google (location Italy, searching mostly in english language, because only by this way I can get more answers) and huge collection of script-errors too from my launcher.
    From now I'll use at least trend micro site safety center (bookmarked) adviced by lucyvp86 for check my search results.
    Sorry, that I'm using quote of last answer from previous linked post from 04/14/14 12:54 PM:
    *****7 wrote:
    EA failed to pay to update the ssl certificate. This is not the first time. This means your browser's trusted sites function complains about the expired ssl certificate. I have hobby sites that I don't pay for the certificates (~$37/yr) and I use dns services like freedns.afraid.org (free). The first time you access the site you have to tell the browser to add the site to the trusted site list (Firefox file - cert8.db). This is not a problem if you sure of the site. This happens when you access the site using the HTTPS:// and not the HTTP://.
    hth
    I hope, that site will find finally those ~$37/yr for pay this certificate.
    I won't give permanent permission no at this site no at others - especially who has my credit-card number.
    Maybe later, when I'll learn better about how all those things are working, but now I'm not sure about this site and many others.
    Edit: not wrote nothing wrong, censor make this oftenly with this specific user name
    edited May 2014
    Lucy,
    I know, you haven't ordered to use this site and it was opinion. This was misunderstanding caused by my horrible english. As is for me more safety still welcomed, I've hurry bookmarked this page. Sorry for misunderstanding: it should be better from my side to write: "tip". Thank You!
  • LadyAngelchanLadyAngelchan Posts: 17 Member
    I have the same problem..
  • cully_ccully_c Posts: 655 Member
    Okay, just to add my tuppence worth. I am getting this error message suddenly it doesnt affect the running of the game but it does mean I can't upload anything to the exchange as the login seems to fail. Seem to be able to download though.
  • Verriitas512Verriitas512 Posts: 5 New Member
    This is happening to me, too! Started on the 16th of September. Haven't been able to log on since.
  • shockgal98shockgal98 Posts: 2 New Member
    Well I am getting 2 totally different script errors. When i open up the sims 3 game launcher.

Script error:

Line: 1480

Char: 160731810

Error: Unable to get property "appendChild" of undefined or null reference

Code: 0

URL: I can't post the url since i haven't been around that long, so i can't post links yet.

and then the other one is...

Script Error

Line: 1480

Char: 160719597

Error: Invalid argument.

Code: 0

URL: I can't post the url since i haven't been around that long, so i can't post links yet.

and i get the 2nd one 2-3 times.
    Can anyone help me with these??
  • CareyEve36CareyEve36 Posts: 287 Member
    I just started getting this to! I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm also not using any add ons for the game. I only have the seasons expansion installed....All I do however to bypass it is just keep on pressing yes and the game can play, at least for me. Also the save my log in never seems to keep me saved. I'm always entering my password.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    script errors are typically something conflicting on EAs side just ignore it should not be interfering with game play.
  • cristill13cristill13 Posts: 2,162 Member
    I get a script error sponsorpay. I can't even get the videos through the Sims 3 store. Can the Simsguru help with this?