Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Newsim City (Urban World) - Update (5/2/14): residential areas (latest post)

30bpens.png

Newsim City is an urban metropolis currently in the works. Founded by the Eurosims from across the Sim Sea, Newsim, (or Newtown as it was known back then), prospered as a bustling trading hub. As the years passed and SimNation gained its independence, Newsim grew into the eastern metropolis of the new nation. Today, Newsim is composed of three boroughs, Newsim, Old Town and Bersim, each with its own unique culture and heritage.

This is my first Sims 3 World and it's still a work in progress. I haven't played the Sims 3 in a couple of years and just backing into it (now that the Sims 4 is on the horizon...which makes sense... :wink: ).

I've seen some amazing urban worlds in the forum and firstly, I just want to thank all the creators for their amazing work - it was really inspiring looking through all their amazing work. To that end, I really wanted to create a custom world of my own (still deciding whether the main focus should be photo-taking, story-telling or game-play...probably all 3). Some of the common problems I've seen with city / urban worlds include:

(1) They don't really reflect cities, but are more like suburbs with high-rises
(2) The worlds that do look like cities aren't really playable because they have ~150 lots

Struggling to find a city world that circumvented the above problems, I decided to build one myself. Having lived in a city my entire life, I definitely wanted to stay away from problem (1). That meant that I was stuck with the second problem (hundreds of lots). After considering my options for a good amount of time, I came to a realization; even though I've lived in a city my entire life, I certainly haven't been inside all the buildings, or half the buildings or even 10% of buildings. Hence I didn't feel so bad with my solution --- a city made up of around 50% lots and 50% props (aka custom 3D models that I created, including a custom distant terrain).

I've tried to use 3D models, which retain a Sims 3 feel (aka look like the rabbit holes). While this may not sit well with many of you, let me first note that this city will still include quite a few playable lots.

To start off, here is a city map (including subway system), which is sort of like my rough guide:

o76djp.png

Ideas I am trying to implement:
1) Transportation:
- Subway system, with custom subway entrances (LN required), some "stops" will have decorative underground platforms for picture- and story- purposes
- Operating elevated train, based on ITF monorail (ITF required), this is a tough one...
- Decoration-only expressway with overpasses
- Working bridges, with custom meshes
- Decoration-only bridges, with custom meshes (ie. for the bridges crossing into the distant terrain

2) Buildings
- Custom building meshes

3) Other things that I haven't really gotten out on paper yet...

A few pics to start off...

Darby (just the streets and wharfs...nothing to see really)
54w3dd.png

On-ramp to Greyshim Bridge, overlooking Westbank (distant terrain, working on finishing the bridge)
6f8ftg.png

Cathedral Hill, Old Town (working on this intently)
14v48wk.png

Old 'Arbor (finished the layout, now just placing lots and props)
9kz5zr.png

I know its very early stage but gotta start somewhere right?

My EIG doesn't work (I've read the threads, yes it's because I have the social edition...I also have the non-social digital version, which also does not work...as well as the disk version I got back when the game just came out in 2009...hypothetically this should work...but alas I don't remember the account info I used back then to register...soooo basically, no EIG)...I am planning on just finishing everything in CAW while simultaneously building the lots and then consolidating in the end (/endrant)

...Also, just in case it's not obvious, this project will take a while - I'll try to update regularly but will depend entirely on life...

I know its an ambitious project, but that's exactly why I'm doing it. Wish me luck!

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited April 2014
    Hi :D

It looks really Cool so far~ I'm wishing you lots of luck. :thumbup:
  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2014
    I agree with your approach. Building hundreds of lots simply is not feasible. You really do need deco buildings to fill up the space. I think this May be the only feasible way to make a city.

Making deco buildings from scratch can be quite time consuming. It takes me about a day or so fo a fairly basic house, and maybe a week for a more involved skyscraper. A number of creators have made deco buildings available for download. Carlos at Simming in Magnificent Style has a nice collection. Monsoon has a nice collection, and has successfully lighted his buildings. I have made several score available for download.

CAW is rea twitchy, especially with respect to deco buildings. There was a brief window where CAW actually worked pretty well. It was real unstable after the release of Spernatural and had numerous problems after University. The most stable version appears to be the release just before or after 70s 80s and 90s stuff. Using this means foregoing some of the features of University, Island Paradise and Into the Future, although some elements of the EPs can probably be included via a save game file. Personally, I got tired of messing with a buggy piece of crap like CAW. EA has never bothered to do it right.

Best of luck.
  • NilxisNilxis Posts: 596 Member
    edited April 2014
    I love huge cities made of deco buildings :D This is looking amazing and the Greyshim Bridge is just brilliant!
    Looking forward to see more :thumbup:
  • ChrisVegaChrisVega Posts: 12 New Member
    edited April 2014
    Truly amazing ! I hope you will finish this world because, gosh, it's one of the best projects of big city I've seen so far!
    I wish you a lot of luck !
  • FauxEvermoreFauxEvermore Posts: 226 Member
    edited April 2014
    Thank you all!

@tjstreak: Thanks for the advice - I was definitely thinking of using the buildings you mentioned for the distant terrain (I've already converted ~50 simple models from Flight Simulator (per your suggestion in a different thread :)). Unfortunately, for the buildings in the main part of the city, I really want to get crisp textures like the Sims 3 rabbit-holes. Thankfully, I found another game which has objects that can be converted through a relatively simple conversion process (ie. 1 object group and texture per mesh)...it saved me a whole lot of time...some pictures of these buildings are below:

t7d837.png

Fortunately, I haven't had any CAW related issues yet (besides EIG...minor details lol). I think I've avoided the bulk of the problems since I only started playing again a month or so ago (thus started off with latest versions of everything)...

Some more pics:
    Greyshim Bridge (simple buildings as distant terrain in the back and a more detailed model in front; finished the bridge as well, ie. road, signs, lighting etc.)

295z6ro.jpg

Also started on the elevated metro (I believe that's Monsoon's building in the background)

b3obpt.png
  • ThePoet012ThePoet012 Posts: 34 Member
    edited April 2014
    I rarely ever commit, but this city looks promising. I can't wait to see more. :D
  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2014
    I would like to know what other game you are converting from and how you are doing the conversion. IMHO sharing knowledge is far more important than creating any given world. That's why I gave detailed instructions on doing flight simulator conversions.

BTW' I think the buildings and textures in X-Plane are better than those in MS Flght Simulator. There also are quite a few pay ware cities, many of which have some good buildings". Then again' some are of the same low quality as Google. Earth". Just about anything from ORBX is going to be good"

I would suggest compiling your world fairly frequently, just to be sure CAW is behaving. You don 't want to do a lot of work, only to have C AW mess it up.
    edited April 2014
    @tjstreak: Thanks, that makes sense. I'll keep testing out the world in both CAW and in-game to make sure everything works.

The other game is called Cities in Motion (http://www.citiesinmotion.com/ - make sure you're looking at the original not the sequel). For the modding process (step-by-step guide), please see the post here: http://www.cimexchange.com/tutorials/article/15-a-rough-guide-to-modding/

and here for the readme.txt:
    http://www.bytetransfer.de/projects/cim/tools/

Basically, just download the GSTools set (9/12 version). There are several extractors included; first use the "uncompress" extractor to extract the individual objects from the compressed game file (ie. drag your game file (*.gs) onto the extractor). It may take a few minutes but you'll basically get all the objects (buildings, roads, props, transport etc.) You'll notice each object will already have the textures, materials and mesh in the folder (the mesh will be an "*.object" file). Use the gsobjexporter to get the regular Wavefront .obj file (ie. drag the "*.object" file onto the extractor). Please note that all the materials have to be in the same folder. (This works for about 75% of the objects, I've run into some which don't work). That's basically it...you might need to tweak some UV coordinates to make sure they are all well within the UV map, otherwise you might get some weird texturing.

Let me know if you have any questions about the process. Would be glad to help.
  • AmaterasuChanAmaterasuChan Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2014
    jpikman wrote:
    295z6ro.jpg

Oh hot dayum! I love it. It looks like the Urbz: Sims in the City loading image!

187936518233984ba32fbef5c49afadda0e78325.jpg"width=600"
  • SeanieRockz44SeanieRockz44 Posts: 852 New Member
    edited April 2014
    Wow!
    I love this already. I like your idea of 50% lots because it will be easier on my computer haha. I know this will take a lot of time to complete but I can't wait to play it :)
  • juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    edited April 2014
    Hi jpikman! Great work in such an ambitious project, your plan is so much detailed, thankyou for sharing, I will be waiting for your updates!
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
    edited April 2014
    Again, thank you for the positive responses!

I finally went in game to test everything out (no major glitches yet). Here are some in-game photos:

My first metro station lot (I'm still debating whether it's worth turning into a functional monorail stop...let me know your thoughts guys- I'm leaning towards making half of the stops being functional and half not, so that the cars just pass through)
    b7lyj5.png

Images of Old Town (just finishing up a community lot - going to be a pub-like restaurant or maybe dive bar)
    vr93kg.png
    11159a1.png
    2h3mtxt.png

One more skyline pic :)
    dpe0k8.png
    edited May 2014
    I've been slowly building up the various neighborhoods. Today, here's a shot of South Bersim, with views of the beach area, residential neighborhoods and Newsim Expressway (with a highway interchange!!! <- so excited about finishing this (sadly it's only deco)...

Let me know what you guys think!
    xlxegk.png

Also here's another shot of Cathedral hill :)
    ogxqn6.png
  • Lylee666Lylee666 Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2014
    Well I cannot wait for this one. I will download it and make a few families in there for sure :)
  • DaethaqtDaethaqt Posts: 760 Member
    edited May 2014
    Interesting!!
  • AmaterasuChanAmaterasuChan Posts: 310 Member
    edited May 2014
    Bumpy!
  • ausra27ausra27 Posts: 3 New Member
    Looks great ! The cathedral is amazaing, I would die to have it !
  • KuyakunKuyakun Posts: 58 Member
    Simply blown away by what there is so far. A very ambitious project indeed my friend. I am a huge fan of sprawling cities and urban development itself. I know others have beat me to it by saying this, but that cathedral is magnificent..
  • HaruhiHaruhi Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey! Somebody plays Cities in Motion. "custom 3D models that I created" If you are going to nix something off, you should at-least cite your source (and change the textures too, (because they certainly don't fit with the non-custom in-game textures). But other than THAT they look nice if you're going for a gritty feel for the world, and I can vouch for your nice terrain sculpting. And if your planning on adapting all this visual stuff, it certainly will work.
  • stefanisticstefanistic Posts: 46 Member
    Impressive world you're working on! I really like the skyline and especially the Cathedral Hill. May I ask where did you find that Cathedral object? I've been looking for more neighborhood objects like that to put into my game too. Good luck with this world and take care :)
  • annaoze94annaoze94 Posts: 2 New Member
    is this done yet? where can i download?
  • DJMIXMASTERDJMIXMASTER Posts: 78 Member
    where can i download the CC , objects or this city
  • JoeJoe11JoeJoe11 Posts: 1,406 Member
    @jpikman do you still work on this? it looked so goodd
    c0Ixg8O.png
    @JoeJoe11 sadly no. I have this stored on one of my old computers (2 or 3 generations ago). I haven't played the Sims 3 for a few years now. But I do think I have the files saved somewhere. Not opposed to taking this up again at some point....Ambitious project lol
  • JoeJoe11JoeJoe11 Posts: 1,406 Member
    jpikman wrote: »
    @JoeJoe11 sadly no. I have this stored on one of my old computers (2 or 3 generations ago). I haven't played the Sims 3 for a few years now. But I do think I have the files saved somewhere. Not opposed to taking this up again at some point....Ambitious project lol

it looked amazing!
    c0Ixg8O.png