Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eliminate Public Parking to Help Control Lag?

I use nraas Overwatch to get rid of all the duplicate cars the game leaves on public lots (and elsewhere). Every night, I get messages about removing dozens of vehicles (along with messages about resetting stuck/unroutable sims). Every night.

So, I was wondering, shouldn't I just go into edit town and rip out all those public parking spaces? Would doing this cause other problems? It probably wouldn't help with cars stuck on streets or with inventory cars, but it might help with eliminating parked cars. Every night my game freezes a bit while Overwatch cleans up. Sometimes that freeze lasts long enough to be annoying.

I know that the spaces give realistic touches, but there are so many things about the Sims that are not realistic, I'm not too worried about that.

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited April 2014
    crinrict suggests doing that on her blog: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/04/bug-lags-intermittent-freezes.html

I did delete all the parking spaces in my game (Moonlight Falls was the neighborhood). I did a bunch of other things too. Lag is a lot better for me but I can't say how much deleting parking spaces specifically helped. I still get 50-250 cars removed by Overwatch each night. It didn't seem to hurt my game at all.
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,013 Member
    edited April 2014
    Thank you, TreyNutz. I didn't want to do something that would cause an issue. It just always surprises me how many cars are removed each night. Crazy!

One of my households is in 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and that's the neighborhood I was specifically thinking about. I've played there the longest, and I'm beginning to tell the difference: longer start-up times, occasional hiccups, longer to switch views to different lots in town.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited April 2014
    how many cars are we talking :) i get about a few to a dozen removed nightly - no biggie

but if you have a crazy number then its probably related to a showtime profession with limos - just get nona's no limo mod - see crin's no lag link TreyNutz provided

also an easier way to remove any town object is via nraas just review town objects and delete all that wa.y i think its MC but it could be one another - sorry not in the game and i have so many nraas i always forget which especially with the overlap

as for lag crin's is a good beginning - but if its really bad consider reducing CC, even store and stuff like lots and townies in your world and get ellacharmed's fixed routing worlds at MTS
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited April 2014
    I don't ususally have issues with abandoned cars because I never put any public parking spaces in for cars though I put bike racks in for bikes and hitching posts in for horses.I'm also playing mostly in custom worlds for my legacy games and none of them had parking spaces.I also disabled the using temp cars and had it replaced with them using a taxi if they're an NPC Sim.Mine all have bikes or I force them to walk.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited April 2014
    Hi :)

Don't the University parking spots with cars in them not get removed by the mod- buydebug mode?

I also use the edging to look like parking spaces and place one or two spots for use on some lots. :)

I do like the cars to show up, just wish they used better cars then the cheapest. :D
    edited April 2014
    ceejay402: I typically see at least a dozen and up to 80+ cars removed each night, depending on what town I'm in. As far as Showtime, that might be something to check out in my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 town because I just created a Private Venue there in addition to the usual Performance Park that gets installed. A Private Venue means higher-ranked performers, thus the limos, right? Hmm. Didn't know about the limo problem. Darn! Every time I try to do something neat in my game, I seem to stumble onto an issue! :x

I'll check out MC's town object removal. Sounds a lot easier. This evening, I started to go into Edit Town to delete the parking spaces and thought, Man, this is no fun! So I didn't do it. :lol:

I'll look over crin's info. I don't have a lot of CC, very little really. Mainly I use utility type mods, like nraas. I have been buying more store content lately, but haven't been putting everything in one town. I try to spread it out among the different worlds I play.

I guess I wouldn't say my lag is terrible. I have a decent computer, but I'm trying to prevent problems. The first family I played a year or so ago was in Riverview. I didn't know about the routing issues when you placed lots or used a lot of content in one town. That neighborhood started taking over an hour to load, and I began seeing lock-ups in game. I moved the family to Appaloosa Plains, and it's much better there for them. I want to avoid having an established town build up issues like that again. :(

TadOlson: Yes, a custom world begins to sound more and more appealing! Right now, though, I'm still exploring the worlds I recently bought--and enjoying them for the most part. But I have a feeling that if I continue to see "unroutable sim found" a dozen times from Overwatch, etc., I may give up on EA's worlds. <sigh>

Rflong7: I'm not sure about the Univeristy parking spots, how they look or work. I've never actually sent any sims to Uni yet. And I hate those cheap cars too. But I have noticed that in some towns, the NPCs drive nicer vehicles. Hidden Springs is like that. Lots of money there. :D
    edited April 2014
    Oh :D

~ There are single parking spaces with different car types used as parking spaces in buydebug mode if.

Screenshot-4_zps599a1a8a.jpg"width=650"

And this is how I use edging to make it look like parking but only have one or two real parking spots.

Screenshot-6_zps4e6f64dc.jpg"width=650"

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited April 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:

Don't the University parking spots with cars in them not get removed by the mod- buydebug mode?

I didn't see Overwatch remove any cars on parking spaces in 🐸🐸🐸🐸. That game accumulated 5 Galaxa space cars in various places and as far as I could tell other cars were not regularly removed from spaces by Overwatch. So, I tend to think Overwatch just removes cars from inventories. I could be wrong.

I haven't deleted any parking spaces in the UL neighborhood; I haven't had any lag issues there (yet).
    edited April 2014
    TreyNutz wrote:
    Rflong7 wrote:

I didn't see Overwatch remove any cars on parking spaces in 🐸🐸🐸🐸. That game accumulated 5 Galaxa space cars in various places and as far as I could tell other cars were not regularly removed from spaces by Overwatch. So, I tend to think Overwatch just removes cars from inventories. I could be wrong.

I haven't deleted any parking spaces in the UL neighborhood; I haven't had any lag issues there (yet).

Hi :D

Does it?

I haven't played UL in TS3 yet. I set these up the regular towns with the parking because it looks good with nice cars in the parking spaces. :)
    edited April 2014
    @ Rflong7: I like your ideas VERY much. I'm going to experiment with the edge fencing for fake parking.

@ TreyNutz: I thought Overwatch removed cars from spaces, streets, and inventories. But I've never paid much attention to changes at the lots, just read its messages.

I wish I could just play the game and not worry about this stuff, but I've learned that what I don't know WILL hurt me. :lol: