Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to ask for help - the nice way.

1 - If you ask for help on here please be courteous about it. Don't expect others to know what your Mac is, what operating system you're running (other than OS X, obviously), what games you have installed etc.

2 - Don't expect us to look up what model your Mac is. It's very rude and you're basically stating that you can't be bothered to help yourself and expect to be spoon fed from others. It's very easy to look up your Mac model:

- Click on the Apple logo, top left of your desktop

- About this Mac

- More Info

From there you will see the model and year of your Mac, the processor, RAM installed (memory), graphics, and operating system. Please provide all this information.

3 - Please provide details of ALL EPs and SPs you have installed. You may not think this is important but it is.

4 - If your game gets going again after someone has helped you, the polite thing would be to acknowledge this on the thread you have posted in. Similarly it also helps if the solution doesn't work because we can then try other troubleshooting steps.

5 - Please, please, please, please, PLEASE don't start a new thread just because you can't be bothered to look on here or the web for a solution to your problem. I can promise you that your problem is not unique, we have seen it before and there will already be a thread(s) on here stating the same issue. By starting a new thread you are selfishly bumping the helpful threads further down the forum so less people can find them - you are no more important than anyone else on here.

6 - We currently have 3 extremely helpful threads running that many, many people have found useful. Pretty much all your issues should be addressed in one of these threads:

- Latest links to help guides and steps to take to get your game running:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/658546.page

- Origin help:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/727857.page

- Golden rules on patching:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/740366.page

These threads are all regularly posted on and bumped to the first page for maximum exposure - PLEASE READ THEM.

apple-signature.png

Comments

• Options
    itsaprilXDitsaprilXD Posts: 642 Member
    edited April 2014
    tumblr_lbyw00BxTm1qb2bvi.jpg

The amount of threads I've gone through trying to find solutions to my problems is countless. Usually posting here is a last resort for me, and then my game usually decides that it was a temporary thing anyway ~facepalm~.

But seriously though. Almost everything is in the master thread that you have up anyway (that I've seen... so far). :)
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited April 2014
    Ditto. You know what I did BEFORE installed Sims 3? I read up on it on lots of other forums I regularly visit and I've found some solutions not mentioned here, but I did share here after I found them out.

And before you start another winny "We aren't getting Sims 4" thread. We are. It won't be immediately which is fine by me and we may have to wait 6 months or less, but we will get it and hopefully Asypr will port it. It will run better on the Mac as it will do so natively not on some third party program that makes the game even more unstable in some cases and we will get the patches after the Windows users beta test it for us, so to me that is a win- win situation.

Really, this is all common sense. I understand some of you are upset, but don't come into this forum acting like you are the only person with that particular problem. You aren't. And maybe if you read the help threads that BlueBellFlora, Caspinwall, ItsAprilXD, myself and others have put together, you wouldn't have half the problems you currently have. I came to Sims 3 late, but you know what. I have a stable game and I run ALL the EP's and SP's. I also have a stable Sims 2 that still runs very nicely that I worked hard at getting to run right.

If you do not find the answer to your particular problem, then please post! Otherwise, been there, done that.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited April 2014
    What amazes me is the amount of people who never bother replying once you ask them what steps they've taken to help themselves............
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited April 2014
    Yup to all of this.
  • Options
    Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    edited April 2014
    Just an FYI, but the search option many times doesn't work (you get an error page) or gives results that have nothing to do with what you put in the search box. I am visually impaired, and cannot read through pages of results trying to find one that actually matches what I was looking for. Or I've found posts (on searches here and through Google) from people with a similar problem with no solution provided. For example, I have found several posts from people who've gotten the PowerPC app is not supported error when trying to install software on a Mac (including Sims 3), but none of them had a solution for the problem. So I can understand when people get frustrated and start new threads and/or appear rude. And keep in mind, some of these people (like me) are relatively new to Macs and don't know where to find things on their computers (because Apple OS is quite different from Windows). And of course, new Macs no longer come with manuals! Sometimes I wish there was a Mac for Dummies class (I got the book, but it really wasn't helpful)!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yes, the search function is awful but Google search is great and more often than not throws up results to here :)

There is tons of help on Apple's website, both in the support pages and the forums. In fact, there are specific manuals for each model of Mac on Apple's site, together with specific help for those switching from Windows to Mac. This is a Sims 3 forum, not an Apple one and posting the same things over and over again just pushes the helpful threads further down the pages.

Sometimes there is no solution to specific problems - like the PowerPC one - and after reading countless threads without a solution, surely the user can deduce that they are out of luck? That's when uninstalling cleanly is so important before a complete reinstall. Just leaving behind one residual file can screw up a further reinstall.

:)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Elf67 is always very nice when she posts and always seems to respond back either with another question (which isn't bad as you are learning and sometimes something can spark another question :mrgreen: ) or thank you.

Never use the search function on this forum. It stinks. :wink:
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    To all of those who seem to have read this and actually made the effort with posts - thank you!

Let's keep it up and stop clogging the forum with unnecessary threads :thumbup:
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    A gentle reminder.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Seriously, I suggest reading these three threads before starting a new thread or bumping an old out of date thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BUMP.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Folks, if you can't handle reading the help threads on the Mac forum before posting your question, then why can't you at least handle googling your question? Chances are you don't even NEED the Mac thread--at least considering some of the questions being posted here lately.

No, Mac programs don't work in Windows, and vice versa.

No, we don't know what your specs are just because your Mac was released in 2012.

No, there will NEVER be a version of CAW for Mac. And if you download the only existing version of CAW, written for Windows, NO, it won't work on a Mac. This is because Windows programs don't work on Macs. At least, not without Bootcamp or Parallels or at the very least an emulator.

Oy vey.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Double post.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Oh and yes we are getting Sims 4 just not right away and I hope Asypr ports it. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I am going to bump this back to the Front Page. Ok, people have been polite, but seriously, READ THE MAC USER'S BEST FRIEND POST BEFORE STARTING ANY NEW THREADS!!!!!!!!!! Geez Louise people are you really that self centered that you can't be bothered to read up on your problem before posting?