Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

60smusicluvr's Rockin' Creations: Brooklyn Brownstones 8/5/20

Comments

• 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    edited June 2020
    So, I went ahead and decorated the inside of the Yellow Lilac Victorian. I ended up planning the layout just a little differently. Instead of having all three bedrooms on the top floor, I moved one on the first floor and squeezed in two more bathrooms. In addition to the interior design changes, I went ahead and changed the exterior landscaping, paint and roof pattern.

Introducing . . . Kiss From A Rose

KzbYSow.jpg
    gu6HdMR.jpg

More
    Roomies 1 by @suzses posing for the camera.
    TGdNOu8.jpg
    yIKrUNE.jpg

You might have an inkling of where this house is going based on this . . .
    smyJnoU.jpg

Surprise, it's shabby chic!

Bright
    zY0Hv7D.jpg

And Brighter
    FKu8Gnb.jpg

My eyes! I can't see! :astonished: (Me: currently too lazy to capture less glaring screenshots)
    O7r7an5.jpg
    1GqM5jt.jpg
    VIwYeKH.jpg
    GO3fp5j.jpg
    Usp0g6t.jpg

Better. :relaxed:
    UGwYKZL.jpg
    xPWCn7I.jpg
    2XAmq6h.jpg
    flX1Lof.jpg
    OnGmP5h.jpg
    a67hj6k.jpg
    nWLuUb1.jpg

Floor Plan Layout
    CKtCVwO.jpg
    7JlN8RX.jpg
    BIs5FR8.jpg

One last thing . . . Because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkzXi4cmdJk
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Holy cow, I've missed some things over here! Your last three builds are all beautiful! Both versions of the Victorian are gorgeous. Love the soft colors in Kiss from a Rose (and the name!) and the cobwebs even. (I was trying to figure out how/why I got tagged over here, when I finally came across a roomie in a picture spoiler. :D Glad to see they're (or at least one of them) is alive and well somewhere. teehee) Me being me, and liking yellow and liking empty, you know I'm probably going to have to furnish and decorate the Yellow Lilac version one of these days.

I agree with you that Cottonwood Estate is elegant. Love the roof lines and the neutral colors. Of course, I also appreciate the soft pastels in the bedrooms in this one, too. The horse stable and gazebo are perfect for completing the lot.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,521 Member
    Kiss from a Rose is beautiful! :) Very pretty pink colour, and very lovely flower garden beds! The pink car and pink swings is a nice touch. Very lovely sofa and rocking chair sitting area on the porch The interior furnishings and shabby chic style is so beautiful! The patterns on the furnishings and walls, and the colours are very pretty! Very lovely curtains and homely gentle furnishings. The flowers on the piano, wall display plates, teapot block are special touches.
    It is such a lovely Victorian home! :)
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member

Kiss from a Rose is very pretty inside and out. Well done :D
    @suzses, aww. Thanks so much for your lovely comments. Yeah, all three ladies actually fit quite well in Kiss From A Rose. I can definitely see them living there, happily. :) Yes, I tried to make Cottonwood Estate a little less . . . Busy. The gazebo, wind chimes and one butterfly spawner makes it so much more peaceful, I think.

Thanks so much, @rosemow. I usually don't place cars in my lots because, depending on which you get, the lot can go up drastically and my lots tend to be expensive enough as it is. :D But the pink car fit so well, I couldn't resist and this lot is actually only 100k without it. Haha. I was trying to get creative with the patterns and tried not to use the same patterns too much. It was a bit of a challenge, but I'm pleased with the result.

@soocoolsim, short and sweet. <3 Thank you!
  • romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    Kiss from a Rose is quite lovely! I have a fond spot for a good Victorian! :) The layout looks fab and I love the white picket fence around it! Blue is NOT one of my colors but I have to say that your blue bedroom is really pretty.
    @romagi1, Victorian's are so pretty. They have so much character. I think it's a shame that it's a period thing, rather than the norm. I'm quite surprised to hear you don't like blue. For some reason, I always think pink is a risky choice.
  • vodkaboy666vodkaboy666 Posts: 1 New Member
    I was wondering if you could help me out with this lot ;-; I just downloaded it and i have all eps and sps and store content that was listed but i'm still missing things that are shown in the pictures like the couch in the kitchen/dining room, the cob webs, and the flower pattern from the downstairs bedroom and bathroom Dx
  • SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    @60smusicluvr , I don't know how I missed your latest, but I absolutely love this adorable pink Victorian, and A Kiss from a Rose is a perfect name for it. Love all the pink flowered patterns and the way you have it decorated. And the outside is beautiful and I'm loving that front porch. So pretty and well done!! :)

@vodkaboy666 , I hope @60smusicluvr doesn't mind me chiming in, but since I'm here I can help a little bit with your questions. Although I haven't downloaded it, I can tell you that the couch is from the Aurora Skies world and the cobwebs are from the Now and Then Century Manor venue. Unfortunately the Exchange doesn't always show all of the store items, especially when it's from a venue or a world. And I'm not sure about the wallpaper, not recognizing it.
    @vodkaboy666, looks like @Sandraelle has you covered (thanks!) I think the only thing that we're unsure about, then, is the pattern in the downstairs bedroom? Though it could easily be replaced with something else, I think it might have come from one of the featured look sets? It's hard to say for sure, since patterns from the store don't show up on the item list, but it is definitely a sims 3 store pattern.

@Sandraelle, thanks again for the help and your sweet comments. I'm definitely getting more comfortable making victorians which im very pleased to say.
    edited July 2020
    @vodkaboy666, looks like @Sandraelle has you covered (thanks!) I think the only thing that we're unsure about, then, is the pattern in the downstairs bedroom? Though it could easily be replaced with something else, I think it might have come from one of the featured look sets? It's hard to say for sure, since patterns from the store don't show up on the item list, but it is definitely a sims 3 store pattern.

@Sandraelle, thanks again for the help and your sweet comments. I'm definitely getting more comfortable making victorians which im very pleased to say.

You're very welcome! Your work definitely shows that you're comfortable with this style! :) I love Victorians, but I don't think I've built any other than a tiny house one I did for a challenge a long time ago. Need to put this on my list of future builds. :)

P.S. Just looked at this cutie in game and all the rooms are decorated so pretty! And the landscaping is so nice as well. Just an FYI, that one wallpaper pattern in the bathroom and bedroom came out all black in my game, so I'm guessing that flower pattern was a custom one. At least it's easy to recolor. :) Have a great day!
    edited July 2020
    @Sandraelle, oh wow! That's a shocker. I've had that pattern for so long and figured it came from the store since it has a store icon next to it? :o

My first guess was that it may have come with the monarch suite featured look. I went on over to the store thread created by Hollowness, 'Own The Store Breakdown'. In one of the last notes marked 'removed' she does confirm there is a pattern that came with that set. Do you have it installed? I think it may be the one from that set.

Another wild guess of mine is that it came from a 'special' set that you only got if you knew the link to it, perhaps like the Dr pepper set? There used to be a store thread, at least on the old forums, that had links to exclusive sims 3 official content that may have been limited time offers. I downloaded a couple things that were still available at the time, including 'prius' cars and teen clothing. If i search through my female clothing, I've got a hunch that the pattern came on a dress. The pattern before i recolored it is like an ivy green so that would be a clue if i found it in there . . .
    Post edited by 60smusicluvr on
    @Sandraelle, oh wow! That's a shocker. I've had that pattern for so long and figured it came from the store since it has a store icon next to it? :o

My first guess was that it may have come with the monarch suite featured look. I went on over to the store thread created by Hollowness, 'Own The Store Breakdown'. In one of the last notes marked 'removed' she does confirm there is a pattern that came with that set. Do you have it installed? I think it may be the one from that set.

Another wild guess of mine is that it came from a 'special' set that you only got if you knew the link to it, perhaps like the Dr pepper set? There used to be a store thread, at least on the old forums, that had links to exclusive sims 3 official content that may have been limited time offers. I downloaded a couple things that were still available at the time, including 'prius' cars and teen clothing. If i search through my female clothing, I've got a hunch that the pattern came on a dress. The pattern before i recolored it is like an ivy green so that would be a clue if i found it in there . . .

Hmm, that is puzzling huh? Yes I do have the whole Monarch Suite set, and the Prius set, but I don't have the Dr. Pepper set. And perhaps you're right that it could have come on a dress that I don't own. But I don't think I had recognized that ivy pattern, so not sure I ever had it, lol. Let us know if you figure it out. :)
    edited July 2020
    Sandraelle wrote: »
    Hmm, that is puzzling huh? Yes I do have the whole Monarch Suite set, and the Prius set, but I don't have the Dr. Pepper set. And perhaps you're right that it could have come on a dress that I don't own. But I don't think I had recognized that ivy pattern, so not sure I ever had it, lol. Let us know if you figure it out. :)

I still have not figured it out. :neutral: I went in game to check the female clothing and didn't spot anything. I suppose it doesn't matter too much since it doesn't appear to transfer through the exchange if it were CC . . . Thing is I have never downloaded CC directly myself, including patterns, so something doesn't make sense here. If it doesn't transfer from my game to your game like other patterns do and I never downloaded it directly myself, how did I get it? Am I looking at that the wrong way??? :confounded: And why would it have a store icon if it weren't?

Anywho . . . I took a screenshot of the pattern here . . .

FqW73Db.jpg

At this point I would just like to narrow down where I got it, so I don't get questions about it on MTS. :D LOL. Best case I could tell them that it's an easy fix and worse case the team will force me to take it down and change it.

EDIT

I FOUND IT! YIPPEE!

I searched the pattern number which led me to the forums and this Bohemian Dress came with four lovely patterns. o:)@vodkaboy666

pR10gOM.jpg
    @60smusicluvr , I definitely don't have that pattern, and no wonder, as I don't have that dress, lol. Glad you figured it out and thanks for letting me know!! :)
    edited July 2020
    Sometimes (or most times, if you're me :D ), you stumble upon things you didn't intend on making. First, this home was supposed to be yet another Victorian home. I thought a great idea would be to replace the row of houses in Twinbrook with something that would stick with the historical feel of the downtown neighborhood scene (which so clearly needs to be looked at, too, by the way. What was EA thinking :scream: ?). Not that I absolutely hated what I made before this lot came together, but I ended up scrapping it. Instead, I put together a little something that was loosely based on this Savannah Georgia Home front exterior. Clever, the Pinterest picture left out the garage, so that's new to me. :D Since this lot is a weird size, I built it at 336 Rue de Sterling, Twinbrook.

I tried doing yellowy brick, but I wasn't quite satisfied. Obviously, I darkened it up quite a bit and made it more industrial looking in the end. Hence why the home wasn't made in the city. So, I was looking for any kind of simming inspiration I could find for industrial loft and although I've watched it before, I did again because whyyyy not? :mrgreen:@aricarai has made some fab 'let's builds' in this style and the arch placement over the windows made a lightbulb go off in my head. I loooove it. It adds so much more dimension to the exterior. Huge props for that idea. :star:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdmSHG8tlD8

The Birds And The Bees

You wonder, 'why of all names would you choose that?' :D Number one, it was the first and best thing I could think of. Number two, it's sort of cute, no? Number three, the apartments are decorated in a young adult/college kind of way. It seems kind of fitting that be the name, since that is the time of life you 'grow your wings' and learn 'adulting'. :lol:

XYBpSrF.jpg

Feeling sort of nostalgic for my old, talky talky posts? Well, good! Storytime! Explore the rooms and learn my thinking process as I was building.
    To me, the home makes more sense to be an apartment for sims. The two front doors on the outside give off that kind of vibe in my opinion, so that's what I did.

One of the worries I had about this archway idea, which I thought was impossible (because usually you can't delete the tile the door creates, correct?), was that sims would route weirdly. I thought right. To prevent sims from walking through walls I've fenced the areas around the windows and blocked off parts from the inside that wouldn't make sense with this bush fencing.

VVCxSiM.jpg

One of the challenges about this space was it's first floor. If I wanted this backyard, then it must be accessible for all the apartments on the lot, but the top floor couldn't access it through a 'fire escape' because there was no room in the back or sides of the building to make that happen.

3uFV5Ph.jpg

So, do I make a public space so they can all access it? Or do I scrap three apartments for two? 1 apartment on the first floor and 1 apartment on the 2nd and 3rd floors?

I make a pathway.
    cm88Kaw.jpg

And who can go without a workout room?
    BDvPNHV.jpg

But wait! Should an apartment be on the floor of these public areas after all? How will that flow?

To answer this question, let's start at level 2. What you see here ultimately transformed into a template for the other apartments, as it was the first floor I had fully furnished before starting on the other two. This is how I am making the building 'flow.' (Unfortunately, I hadn't decided this until I had the full first floor done as public spacing, complete with an industrial 'club' space for singing karoke and drinking colorful "juice." Darn it. As much as I liked the room the way it was on its own, it didn't jive well with the rest of the lot and was just too industrial for this home).

Tg5JcS0.jpg
    pWTj00J.jpg
    nf2K8qt.jpg
    S8KMY6e.jpg
    q7RdQmd.jpg
    Tgdxk8D.jpg
    xeJxk9O.jpg
    hyiO24t.jpg

So, there you have it. This is the furnishing and recolors I've used throughout the apartments. The only difference is layout.

Next, the public spacing for the second floor. Stairway leading to the third.

0OD3H82.jpg
    R1mLndt.jpg

Although the changes are minimal, here's what to expect on all three floors

First

This is the smallest of the three apartments. It only has enough space to fit the beds in a single room and it comes without a computer or television and only with basics, decorative items and the easel.

3kbsqvo.jpg

Second

As this apartment is the first, it comes with ALL the things.

GHqPALf.jpg

Third

This comes with most of the things, but isn't quite as nice as level two.

pQ0h7in.jpg

And that concludes the tour! :mrgreen:

fpdQwuP.jpg
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,521 Member
    The Birds and Bees is a lovely industrial style apartments home! :) It was great reading what you wrote about your designing process thoughts and build decisions that you made. Very nice exterior design, windows and wall texture! The interior layout, and the furnishing of each apartment is lovely!
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member

The Birds And The Bees is a great home full of character. I always think the industrial look is super cool. Well done @60smusicluvr :smiley:
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    The Birds and the Bees looks amazing. You did a brilliant job :mrgreen:
  • romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    The Birds and the Bees looks perfect for TB! One of my Fav EA worlds. Great job at capturing the Industrial look!
    @60smusicluvr , I absolutely love the Birds and the Bees. Your architecture looks wonderful and what a great idea to use those square arches around the windows. I loved reading about your thoughts during the building process. :) Your inspiration photos of that Savannah, Georgia home makes me want to build in this style! Very well done, rec'd and will be downloading this one for a closer peek. :)