Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not complaining, just asking: Is there a reason EA is holding back TS4 info?

First of all, this isn't a complaint thread about how bad EA are - I've seen enough of them to last me a lifetime.

I'm just asking, for curiosity - is there any reasons EA would be holding back TS4 info? Any marketing people might be able to shed some light on this. Is there a reason they could potentially be holding back info for another 2 months?

I can't see, from a businessperson's view, how alienating the fanbase is a good idea a few months before the product's release. But who knows what EA has in mind.

Comments

• Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    edited April 2014
    I think its because of the fiscal year and all and they wanted to push titanfall as it was ea's next big game to come out. The 2013 fiscal year ended april (i think thats right0 so as of now its the 2014 fiscal year so they should start promoting the sims 4 soon its all about the finances
  • Options
    lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited April 2014
    I think they're waiting for E3.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited April 2014
    steve7859 wrote:
    I think its because of the fiscal year and all and they wanted to push titanfall as it was ea's next big game to come out. The 2013 fiscal year ended april (i think thats right0 so as of now its the 2014 fiscal year so they should start promoting the sims 4 soon its all about the finances
    I've never been so sure about the theory that Titanfall is the reason for the silence. They are very different games, with very different audiences, and different marketing teams. I don't see why they couldn't market them simultaneously.

I think it's more likely that the delay is the reason for the silence. TS4 was set to release in early 2014 - March most likely, meaning it would already be out by now - but they delayed it by at least 6 months. After GamesCom last year, I said a number of times that they probably wouldn't start any real marketing until after ITF had come out, at least, and I still believe that to have been their plan, but they were then caught out by a delay before they started, and they were unprepared for it.

Recently, what I've been thinking as a possible expanation is that, when SimGuruRachel told us at the end of the year that there would be news in a few months, she really did mean only a few, not 9, and then they've been focusing entirely on actually making the game, and put off marketing until they had more to show. Eventually they ended up in a situation where they would be better off waiting for a big event like E3 to kick off a marketing blitz.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited April 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    steve7859 wrote:
    I've never been so sure about the theory that Titanfall is the reason for the silence. They are very different games, with very different audiences, and different marketing teams. I don't see why they couldn't market them simultaneously.

I think it's more likely that the delay is the reason for the silence. TS4 was set to release in early 2014 - March most likely, meaning it would already be out by now - but they delayed it by at least 6 months. After GamesCom last year, I said a number of times that they probably wouldn't start any real marketing until after ITF had come out, at least, and I still believe that to have been their plan, but they were then caught out by a delay before they started, and they were unprepared for it.

Recently, what I've been thinking as a possible expanation is that, when SimGuruRachel told us at the end of the year that there would be news in a few months, she really did mean only a few, not 9, and then they've been focusing entirely on actually making the game, and put off marketing until they had more to show. Eventually they ended up in a situation where they would be better off waiting for a big event like E3 to kick off a marketing blitz.

The delay was due to Titanfall. In the same notes that stated that they were delaying TS4 for Titanfall they stated that the reason they were delaying one for the other was because the TS4 followers weren't going anywhere, which either I misread or nobody picked up on or they don't care. Titanfall's first DLC drop is due in May. So that would be the reason for continued silence on TS4.

Or as you say, it's got that late it's best to do a big marketing blitz after E3.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Arletta wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:
    steve7859 wrote:

The delay was due to Titanfall. In the same notes that stated that they were delaying TS4 for Titanfall they stated that the reason they were delaying one for the other was because the TS4 followers weren't going anywhere, which either I misread or nobody picked up on or they don't care. Titanfall's first DLC drop is due in May. So that would be the reason for continued silence on TS4.

Or as you say, it's got that late it's best to do a big marketing blitz after E3.
    The delay was to do with Titanfall, but I'm not sure about the actual marketing silence.

The way I read that conference call, TS4 wasn't delayed because of Titanfall, Titanfall was more of a justification for the delay. They were still in Pre-Alpha last August, the only thing they had ready to show in their "big reveal" was CAS, and even that was far from finished. I doubt they would ever have been ready for a release in March. I think they had to delay, and they needed something else to put in its place to keep the shareholders happy, which was Titanfall. When they said The Sims will sell at any time of year, I read that as just a reassurement for the shareholders that TS4 will sell just as well in Autumn as it would in March.
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited April 2014
    lovcat wrote:

Yes, i think that too..but honestly, i still think that they anounced it way too soon.
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    edited April 2014
    v12creator wrote:
    lovcat wrote:

Yes, i think that too..but honestly, i still think that they anounced it way too soon.
    The early announcement was probably because the game was originally supposed to come out in early 2014, most likely March. If it was coming out in March 2014, then May 2013 would be about a normal time for an announcement.
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited April 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    v12creator wrote:
    lovcat wrote:

The early announcement was probably because the game was originally supposed to come out in early 2014, most likely March. If it was coming out in March 2014, then May 2013 would be about a normal time for an announcement.

Do you think it was because of SimCity fiasco so they had to remake the game from scatch since it was suposed to be an online game (But the original anouncement date was already set so EA could not undo it) ?
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    edited April 2014
    v12creator wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:
    v12creator wrote:
    lovcat wrote:

Do you think it was because of SimCity fiasco so they had to remake the game from scatch since it was suposed to be an online game (But the original anouncement date was already set so EA could not undo it) ?
    I definitely think the delay was because they had to rebuild the game offline, even if they salvaged a lot of the code, March 2014 probably still wasn't enough time. As to why they announced it, I'm not sure if that's because they did think they would be able to make a March release, or maybe people are right when they say that they had to announce it because of Patrick Kelly; I think it's definitely a plausible theory that they had to announce it after the outdated info he leaked went viral, because they had to stop the worrying that the game would be online.
  • Options
    3PupDLS3PupDLS Posts: 882 Member
    edited April 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    v12creator wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:
    v12creator wrote:
    lovcat wrote:

I definitely think the delay was because they had to rebuild the game offline, even if they salvaged a lot of the code, March 2014 probably still wasn't enough time. As to why they announced it, I'm not sure if that's because they did think they would be able to make a March release, or maybe people are right when they say that they had to announce it because of Patrick Kelly; I think it's definitely a plausible theory that they had to announce it after the outdated info he leaked went viral, because they had to stop the worrying that the game would be online.

I think they felt forced to announce it. The whole way this game has been marketed or should I say anti marketed has made me skeptical of the game. First they tell the yibsims they are going to keep them updated through the development of the game and as far as we know they have only been told what was said at sims camp. Then they announce info that causes an uproar with the fan base, like lack of CAST. Then in a blog we are told the next info will be info on genetics and other life stages, then months and months of silence, despite promises from the executive producer that we would get new info right after the new year. It makes you wonder if they haven't gotten as far as they thought in production or are there major problems with it. I just hope we don't have another delay so they can have time to market it, like how the sims 3 was delayed for marketing reasons.
  • Options
    HaucusuchusHaucusuchus Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2014
    EA changed CEOs since the last big marketing blitz (simscamp). What we may be seeing is part of a new strategy to pare down the bloated marketing budget we always hear about. Observe here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/205828/EAs_new_CEO_spells_out_longterm_plans_expectations.php
    EA CFO Blake Jorgensen also elaborated on how EA intends to sell its games in the years ahead. Namely, he talked about a focus to reduce the cost of customer acquisition through lower spend on big-budget marketing.

"Longer-term, our real focus is to try to move away from traditional large-scale marketing, heavy TV marketing," said Jorgensen. Essentially, EA intends to get a better bang for its marketing buck by having a direct relationship with its customers through online channels. "We should be able to market to them at a much lower cost," he said.

Seeing as how Sims 4 is around half a year away at least (more if they delay again) they could be looking at a shorter window of intense marketing. Though why they would forbid any tidbits of info to the fans is beyond me.
  • Options
    HaucusuchusHaucusuchus Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2014
    LauriApp wrote:
    It makes you wonder if they haven't gotten as far as they thought in production or are there major problems with it. I just hope we don't have another delay so they can have time to market it, like how the sims 3 was delayed for marketing reasons.

Frankly, I hope they do delay if the rumors are true about the game needing to be rebuilt for offline mode are true. I'd much rather have the game more or less functional at launch months later than "play" a buggy broken incomplete mess on time, a la Simcity. Not to mention any features they'd have to cut to make a promised deadline.
  • Options
    Kellieann123Kellieann123 Posts: 507 Member
    edited April 2014
    I'm quite curious as to why it's gone dead silent too... Ever since that huge EA Sims meeting, it's gone quiet... Kinda weird.
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    edited April 2014
    I think it's really strange that they have not said anything at all...

When TS3 was coming out they had all kinds of media about it.

but one thing that is really gonna irk me.... if they put out this base game and it doesn't include some major things... like pets, weather, Cars, lots of building tools and landscaping..... that will just tick me off.

How many times do we have to go through this series and wait until EP 6 before we really start to get the things we want.

They know how to do it, so give us those things in the base game and start coming up with some really original ideas for expansion packs... Please.

• Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited April 2014
    v12creator wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:
    v12creator wrote:
    lovcat wrote:

All evidence points to that. You must be correct in your assumption.

They are hastily trying to put together a game in record time with the remains of a filed project.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    EA changed CEOs since the last big marketing blitz (simscamp). What we may be seeing is part of a new strategy to pare down the bloated marketing budget we always hear about. Observe here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/205828/EAs_new_CEO_spells_out_longterm_plans_expectations.php
    EA CFO Blake Jorgensen also elaborated on how EA intends to sell its games in the years ahead. Namely, he talked about a focus to reduce the cost of customer acquisition through lower spend on big-budget marketing.

"Longer-term, our real focus is to try to move away from traditional large-scale marketing, heavy TV marketing," said Jorgensen. Essentially, EA intends to get a better bang for its marketing buck by having a direct relationship with its customers through online channels. "We should be able to market to them at a much lower cost," he said.

Seeing as how Sims 4 is around half a year away at least (more if they delay again) they could be looking at a shorter window of intense marketing. Though why they would forbid any tidbits of info to the fans is beyond me.

He is doing the oppite of what that quote says. he's ignoring the cost-effective online channels, creating bad rapport and communication noise, killing the springboard for social marketing.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    thevogel wrote:
    I think it's really strange that they have not said anything at all...

When TS3 was coming out they had all kinds of media about it.

but one thing that is really gonna irk me.... if they put out this base game and it doesn't include some major things... like pets, weather, Cars, lots of building tools and landscaping..... that will just tick me off.

How many times do we have to go through this series and wait until EP 6 before we really start to get the things we want.

They know how to do it, so give us those things in the base game and start coming up with some really original ideas for expansion packs... Please.

They already confirmed a lot of theses things are out. Which is short-sighted and you are correct. A more fufilling base game would create consumer satisfaction and willingness to pay for EPs. Now, buying the same EP for the fourth time may not entice consumers that much. Seasons had to be in the base game, for instance.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited April 2014
    They are still selling a lot from the store. If you were constantly reminding people about Sims4 you're going to kill a lot of buying from Sims3.

• Options
    simmadness24simmadness24 Posts: 828 Member
    edited April 2014
    I agree. They are selling a TON of Eps and SPs (I don't even play TS3 anymore but I might start again) for under $10 right now so they are trying to make as much money before TS3 is null and void. No one really wants a corrupt game and TS4 is also like a carrot being dangled.
  • Options
    JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member
    edited April 2014
    Reading all these posts, I'm beginning to think the Ea as the evil trait! :shock:
    :o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.
  • Options
    DivaOfDarknessDivaOfDarkness Posts: 1,097 Member
    edited April 2014
    Jenzup wrote:
    Reading all these posts, I'm beginning to think the Ea as the evil trait! :shock:

more like absent-minded
  • Options
    Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited April 2014
    Not complaining, just asking: Is there a reason EA is holding back TS4 info?

My guess is that there's something about it that they know will p*ss fans off and cause yet another PR nightmare, and they're putting it off as long as they can.

Either that or they just don't have a game to show off and TS4 is vaporware.
  • Options
    AussieAdoresSimsAussieAdoresSims Posts: 554 Member
    edited April 2014
    My theory behind the delay in new information might be because they are about to finish a critical stage and want to reveal it in one go not little bit by little bit. Probably wrong but I like my theory.
  • Options
    JonchuableJonchuable Posts: 321 Member
    edited April 2014
    As for someone who's currently taking marketing, this silence is a terrible move. But like what someone said in this thread, Sim fans won't go away or just drastically drop. So basically, they can do whatever they want and get away with it, still we would buy it eventually. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Ze_Blue_PandaZe_Blue_Panda Posts: 351 Member
    edited April 2014
    I still think this silence isn't such a big deal. Even if people forgot, they're gonna be reminded real quick once it gets closer to release date.