Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Random roommates keep showing up!

My Sim got romantically involved with her roommate and they eventually got engaged. I moved them to a new house. The problem is that there are now a TON of other roommates showing up and helping themselves to beds and food and everything on my lot. I haven't asked any of them to be my roommate and the only way to make them leave is to dismiss them. How can I get these roommates to stop showing up?

Comments

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited April 2014
    I'm not positive, so I apologize in advance if I'm wrong. It's been awhile since I had roommates. I think you go to your sim's computer or phone and choose roommate services, then turn it off or something like that.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • PoooksterLOVEPoooksterLOVE Posts: 161 Member
    edited April 2014
    luvalphvle wrote:
    My Sim got romantically involved with her roommate and they eventually got engaged. I moved them to a new house. The problem is that there are now a TON of other roommates showing up and helping themselves to beds and food and everything on my lot. I haven't asked any of them to be my roommate and the only way to make them leave is to dismiss them. How can I get these roommates to stop showing up?

My friend had the EXACT same problem, but I think what she did was just delete the town and start over. If you did delete the town what you can do is make a new town, go into edit town mode pick the couple up from the bin and put them in a house (probably a different house). Then, (thanks to testingcheatsenabled true) you can add up their relationship! Just tell me if you don't know what testingcheatsenabled true is and I can help you!! Hope this helped! :D :!: :idea: :thumbup: ;):lol:
    tumblr_nsyr7fdhfz1qeekseo1_500.gif
  • luvalphvleluvalphvle Posts: 1,545 Member
    edited April 2014
    I checked the computer and I couldn't find anything that seemed to fit the situation. I'd hate to delete the whole town, but if it comes to that I guess I could. I cheat relationships all the time anyway. :D I just never had this problem until my Sim asked one roommate to move in, got romantic with him, and then they both moved to a new place. I even had to go through and dismiss MORE roommates before my Sim could try and get pregnant.
  • luvalphvleluvalphvle Posts: 1,545 Member
    edited April 2014
  • dizzydeedizzydee Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited April 2014
    I know there is a way to turn it off, because I accidentally turned it on once and could not understand where the roommates were coming from.

There might be an option on City Hall to get rid of them. I know it can be done. I just don't remember exactly how. Just keep looking. I don't think you need to give up your game.
  • gigi21480gigi21480 Posts: 98 New Member
    edited April 2014
    If there's not an option on the computer, I think it should be on the phone to dismiss the roommate services. I think this sometimes gets turned on with certain household adjustments. Good luck!
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited April 2014
    Welcome to the joy of EA story progression! :evil:

I played one family, went back to another family and the guy was an elder, his wife & kids were dead, and he had some dude with a Mohawk as his roommate! :shock:

The guy was watching tv so I put the curser over him and it said 'roommate', and I'm like, what's with this insane world???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWv53OJ-ydI

:lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited April 2014
    Try this:

Save the game under a new name... Like if you're game is called "Sims" do a "save as" and call it "Sims.1"

Then move the couple out of their house to the clip board. Then move them back in. Sometime if the lot is glitched you may have to bulldoze the house. Or move them into a new home.
  • JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 907 Member
    edited April 2014
    I just went through this yesterday. Go to your sims cell phone... Go into real estate> roommate services> disable.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    edited April 2014
    I've just experienced the whole 'roommate' thing, myself. My singer Sims' second daughter, also a singer, met a cute guy in town (one I had made and just plopped into town) they got all hearts and flowers on each other and I had her ask him to be a roommate, not fully understanding that this wasn't the same as asking him to move in. :shock: He showed up at the house once, but never to sleep, so I had her 'dismiss' him. I had the intention of going into Edit Town, and taking him from his house and merging him into my singer's house. Problem is, he doesn't appear to be living ANYWHERE. It's strange. I saved the game and quit for the day.

The next time I opened the game, some other person was in the family picture. Say, what? :x Had to 'dismiss' her, too. Household is full. I moved out one of the other children to make room for the now fiance so that I could control him. That didn't happen. Just goes to show, that no matter how long you play this game, a player can still mangle things. LOL At least it's true for me. :P

I'm currently playing the family (extensions and all) in another town altogether from 'older' binned copies. My singer Sim and his wife didn't yet have children. That's almost like starting from scratch. Oh, well. At least I'm having fun.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GypsyWynd1GypsyWynd1 Posts: 154 Member
    edited April 2014
    This happens to me, every time I build an apartment building. Right after I do that, then the very next morning about 4 or 5 roommates suddenly show up, at whatever household that I am playing with at the time. And the household isn't even in the apartment building. Apparently this is a glitch that came with the University Life. It took me awhile to figure out that I could stop this from happening by using my phone and canceling the roommates.

This just recently happened to one of my Sims who was living on a beach in a tent. And the beach was on a small island in the middle of the ocean. Right after I finished building an Apartment building on the larger island, the very next morning about 9am, 5 boats come flying up to his beach, all carrying a roommate. Then they would hop out and proceed to take over his tent and eat his food and drink his juice. Oh man, did they love to drink his juice. So then he would have to dismiss them all. This happened every morning until I finally figured out how to stop them.

You just never know what's going to happen next, in the Sims 3.
  • AndrewZookAndrewZook Posts: 1 New Member
    this EXACT problem happened to me on Sims 4! My Sim had 2 girlfriends( :3 ) and I had a butt load of custom characters in my town. After leaving my town for a couple days i started playing and after maybe 3 minutes, 5 custom sims appeared and would not leave. I had to go delete the households even then ITS STILL HAPPENING
  • jessica1229jessica1229 Posts: 1 New Member
    Okay so I have no idea if you got the roomate problem under control but if not what you do is simple.
    Go to the sim that the roomates are going to. Then go to their phone and click Real Estate and Travel Services. You should then have an option to see Roomate Services and from there you just Disable it.
    I hope that helps you out! :)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    This is a really old topic ;) I sure hope nobody ever deleted a town over this... :s
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    It seems the game patch may have reset the roommates setting on some of my saved games. I had to dismiss a roommate who showed up in my home WHILE MY SIM WAS WOOHOOING HIS BOYFRIEND! and then manually reset the "disable roommate services" setting on his smartphone. :D
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    I had the roommate issue a few months back, luckily it is a very easy fix and I second that I hope nobody ever deleted a town over this issue!
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I had a UL apartment lot where I enabled the roommate service which was disabled and switched households to find the service disabled in the other household because I've got a Mod to fix that issue with the UL apartment lots.It also fixed the roommets so it only gets enabled for your currently active family and remains disabled in other households unless you enable it there manually.It's at MTS for download if you're registered there.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Briaxoxo88Briaxoxo88 Posts: 1 New Member
    This happened to me today and I can't figure out how to turn it off... I've tried the phone and the computer and I can't find the option that days "disable roomates " this is really annoying. Please help
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    If the lot in question is of type Residential - Regular, as viewed in Edit Town, then the way to cancel the roommate service is to use the phone function to cancel under Real Estate and Travel Services.

If the lot in question is of type Residential - Apartment (or just Apartment), then there is no way to cancel the roommate service. This is the way that kind of "Apartments" work in TS3; it's the Uni dormitory concept ported over to other worlds.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SlimSwaggerSlimSwagger Posts: 1 New Member
    > @CamaroSycopaChic said:
    > I just went through this yesterday. Go to your sims cell phone... Go into real estate> roommate services> disable.

THANK YOU SO FREAKING MUCH. I logged in just to thank you.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    If the random roommates that keep showing up are all required professions to meet other game options (paparazzi and whatnot) ... Then you don't have enough affordable housing in your town to accommodate game generated Sims.

The others have told you ways to stop it on your lot ... But it is a symptom of a greater problem.

As your town populates ... If you care ... You can find a stretch of road to place some small lots that contain an affordable small house.
    Shoot you can even make a mobile home park ... And it will remove some of the burden for Sims to "share" accommodations.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Crystal_MinesCrystal_Mines Posts: 6 New Member
    dont delete your town! eeee all u gotta do is go into the phone and then click things involving the house if forgot which but then u click disable room mate services.
  • whitepawn23whitepawn23 Posts: 308 Member
    I'm testing a town. Neither my phone nor my computer have the option to disable roommates. But every morning I have new ones. I've been going into edit town to evict them then go back to game with them still on the clipboard to delete them.

Solutions? How do I get disable roommate service to to show up as an option?
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Are you checking under Real Estate and Travel Services on your phone? That is where the option shows up.
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited June 2016
    As @Sindocat says there is a chance at the start of a new game your phone has the roomates enabled.Just turn it off.Also any town can benefit from a apartment premade build that is in your bin if you own Late Night.Only one in your town takes care of your NPC/Homeless/Service Sim load and gives them a proper place to vanish into.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top