Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Late Night Expansion and Rumors

I'm assuming that the crazy rumors that pop up constantly are caused by the celebrity system installed with the Late Night expansion. I did a search for help with this and found some answers, but thought I'd ask for up-to-date feedback.

I am sick of the paparazzi/celebrity stuff. I have turned it off in options and also have all my households opted out. Unfortunately, my sims who already had celebrity status are STILL plagued with rumors, mostly false stuff. But the "true" things are ridiculous. My 3-star male sim can't woohoo with his witch-wife, in the privacy of his own home, without a rumor starting up about him woohooing with the occult. This is in Moonlight Falls where almost the whole town is occult! Give me a break.

I could deal with the negative moodlet. NBD. But the hits to all his relationships, even in his own household (baby included) is ruining the enjoyment of my game. He has the long distance lifetime award, but his old friends still get hit too. These rumors happen every time I go in game. Last night, I was almost tempted to have my guy ask his wife to give up her "witchiness." :(

So from what I've read, here are my options for stopping this:

1. Use a cheat to remove all existing celebrity status, and keep the celebrity system turned off, households opted out. Ctrl+Alt+C -> testingcheatsenabled true -> Shift+click on sim -> celebrity -> set celebrity level.

2. Use a mod to control rumors in order to keep existing celebrity status or keep the system on. This one is apparently still effective with the latest patch:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=424239

3. Use NRAAS Story Progression or similar mod to control this and much more of the sims interactions. A more complex approach.

4. Deal with each rumor as it comes up in game by paying off or suing the paparazzi through the business office rabbit hole. Go to all your so-called friends and use the dialog option to deny the rumors. Follow your sims' wishes to pillow fight or jam with your fair-weather friends. :roll:

5. Keep the celebrity system off and kill all existing paparazzi. Or more mercifully, use a mod/cheat to give them different jobs. Not sure either of these two choices would stop the rumors, though.

How do you guys deal with all these rumors? Do they bother you too? For me, keeping friendship levels up is time consuming. I'd like to do other things in my game besides hover over the relationship panel. :x

Comments

• YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited March 2014
    They immesnly bother me! One of my fave Sims ever, Bellatrix van Helten, was a vampire and I played her from birth to death through all 210 days of YA + Adult life stages included, and then she lived to 101 days beyond that too. So I had her for years and years of Sim time. Because she lived for so long she knew hundreds of the Sims who lived in her town, it was unreal how long her list of friends, and acquantances was. She was a 5* Celeb, and the rumours would often happen, and the REALLY annoying thing was she would lose literally tonnes of friends through it. I had up to 30 relationships go down at once because she had so many friends. I had to use testingcheatsenabled true to delete the moodlet and then drag back up all the relationships that'd been broken! It was ridiculous and intensely annoying :? :lol:
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited March 2014
    I can't remember now whether it's Debug Enabler or Master Controller that let's you limit your town to zero papparazzi Sims. Oh, wait. It might be Register. I'll check tonight when I get home.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • OnendOnliYazzieOnendOnliYazzie Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited March 2014
    The rumors and the paparazzi are one of the main reasons why i stopped playing celeb sims. Back when i was playing with them though i did use the harder celeb mod that you linked but after a while i took the mod out because i felt like i was cheating myself out of the experience of being a celeb (no i have no idea why) but i eventually stopped playing that save and have now all together turned the celebs off because I cant stand dealing with all that. I wish you luck in figuring out what to do with your family!
    I love to share my sims stories and hear about others. Got a story you want to share come talk to me!
  • KatieTerrorFaceKatieTerrorFace Posts: 480 Member
    edited March 2014
    Happens to my Showtime performance Sims, but I just head over to City Hall and sue.

Edit: I don't mind it. You get lots of free stuff in return!
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,014 Member
    edited March 2014
    Happens to my Showtime performance Sims, but I just head over to City Hall and sue.

I've never tried suing. How often do you win your cases? I heard that you can easily lose and it will cost you money instead.

I used to think the free stuff and discounts made up for the annoyance. Still nice perks. But after playing another family a long time, putting up with in-your-face paparazzi, I think my new families can live without the freebies. Money is so easy to make now with all the new expansions & options--picking wildflowers, selling exotic eggs, hatching dragons and selling them, etc. I can easily buy my own stuff. 8)
    edited March 2014
    The rumors and the paparazzi are one of the main reasons why i stopped playing celeb sims. Back when i was playing with them though i did use the harder celeb mod that you linked but after a while i took the mod out because i felt like i was cheating myself out of the experience of being a celeb (no i have no idea why) but i eventually stopped playing that save and have now all together turned the celebs off because I cant stand dealing with all that. I wish you luck in figuring out what to do with your family!

Actually, I had that mod installed at one time too, mainly to limit the rumors. Then I felt guilty--like I was getting all the perks of being a celeb without having to pay the full price of fame itself. So I also removed it.

Maybe now, I should just choose to remove all celebrity status, keep the system off, and let my sims live independent lives, answering to no one! :lol:
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited March 2014
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    I can't remember now whether it's Debug Enabler or Master Controller that let's you limit your town to zero papparazzi Sims. Oh, wait. It might be Register. I'll check tonight when I get home.

You are correct. Nraas Register can eliminate all papparazzi. Settings are in City Hall--> Nraas--> Register. It's right at the open menu options.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • FryeGuy24FryeGuy24 Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited April 2014
    I only occasionally play celebrities, and I usually have my family opt out. If I do play a celebrity, I often wait for them to get to level 5 and get all the freebies I actually want, and then opt them back out.

Register is good for turning off paparazzi. As for the rumors, false accusations, and celebrity disgrace, I like Shimrod's No Celebrity Disgrace mod:
    http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/topic/2808-no-celebrity-disgrace/

(you have to register with the site in order to view the mod)
  • Shogo_YahagiShogo_Yahagi Posts: 838 Member
    edited April 2014
    lanlyn wrote:

I've never tried suing. How often do you win your cases? I heard that you can easily lose and it will cost you money instead.
    Save before you start the case and you can win every time. The result isn't locked in, just restart if they win. I'm vindictive that way.

The whole rumor system is just so badly implemented in so many ways.

You should always win if you sue over a false rumor, and when you win cases, the paparazzi should back off.

There should never be rumors associated with things that nobody witnesses. I had a sim pass out deep within a tomb. The paparazzi reported it. Uh... how? I had a pregnant sim get a rumor about throwing up when she was alone in her home with nobody else on the lot. Again... how?

You should never take hits to relationship for false rumors from people who would know they're false, if anything, it should give you a boost to relationship with them. I once had a mother lose relationship with her infant child over a false rumor that she'd been in jail: a) the whole family knew she hadn't been in jail because she'd been home taking care of the baby, and b) how, exactly, did the infant read and/or comprehend the false rumor? *throws a shoe at EA*

Inappropriate, But In A Good Way should reverse the effects of rumors. The whole point of IBIAGW is that people like it when you do inappropriate stuff. "Did you see what he's up to this week? Bwahaha! What a nut."

A celebrity inventor can't blow things up for scrap without taking a hit. Dude, have you never watched MythBusters? Lose relationship? You should practically gain celebrity points for that.

Almost all of the rumors should have opposite effects with certain groups. Woohoo an occult? Gain rep with that occult group. For that matter, any woohoo rumor should boost relationship with flirty sims. Any fighting rumor should boost relationship with hotheaded or evil sims. Any jail rumor should boost relationship with criminal sims. Digging in trash should boost relationship with slobs and frugal sims.

EA, that barely took me 5 minutes. How long did you spend on developing it? Why didn't you think of any of this? (I think perhaps it's because you're not so good at your job.)
  • Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    edited April 2014
    lanlyn wrote:

Save before you start the case and you can win every time. The result isn't locked in, just restart if they win. I'm vindictive that way.

The whole rumor system is just so badly implemented in so many ways.

You should always win if you sue over a false rumor, and when you win cases, the paparazzi should back off.

There should never be rumors associated with things that nobody witnesses. I had a sim pass out deep within a tomb. The paparazzi reported it. Uh... how? I had a pregnant sim get a rumor about throwing up when she was alone in her home with nobody else on the lot. Again... how?

You should never take hits to relationship for false rumors from people who would know they're false, if anything, it should give you a boost to relationship with them. I once had a mother lose relationship with her infant child over a false rumor that she'd been in jail: a) the whole family knew she hadn't been in jail because she'd been home taking care of the baby, and b) how, exactly, did the infant read and/or comprehend the false rumor? *throws a shoe at EA*

Inappropriate, But In A Good Way should reverse the effects of rumors. The whole point of IBIAGW is that people like it when you do inappropriate stuff. "Did you see what he's up to this week? Bwahaha! What a nut."

A celebrity inventor can't blow things up for scrap without taking a hit. Dude, have you never watched MythBusters? Lose relationship? You should practically gain celebrity points for that.

Almost all of the rumors should have opposite effects with certain groups. Woohoo an occult? Gain rep with that occult group. For that matter, any woohoo rumor should boost relationship with flirty sims. Any fighting rumor should boost relationship with hotheaded or evil sims. Any jail rumor should boost relationship with criminal sims. Digging in trash should boost relationship with slobs and frugal sims.

EA, that barely took me 5 minutes. How long did you spend on developing it? Why didn't you think of any of this? (I think perhaps it's because you're not so good at your job.)

and b) how, exactly, did the infant read and/or comprehend the false rumor? *throws a shoe at EA*

So true and funny too! Honestly, I think since so many relationships take a hit ALL at once there should be a way to restore ALL relationships to where they were... Too much of a bother to hunt down sims, build the relationship back up one at a time... As far as I'm concerned Celebrity status is only good if you're playing 'Evil' sims as they enjoy having enemies and those rumors destroy relationships real good! Plus you sue, get money and the damage dealt to your relationships remain. Sure, only hurts relationships you already have, so, non-existent ones don't get hurt so not super helpful but means you don't have to waist time making enemies of everyone you meet, you just get it started and celebrity status will do the rest lol.
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
    edited April 2014
    Last night, I used the cheat to remove the celebrity stars from my sim couple in Moonlight Falls. I tore down the fence and celebrity gate I had imprisoned them in (so to speak). That felt good! I also have the whole system turned off in options. So far now, the existing paparazzi have not bothered them. I'll see how this works.

WriterJunkie and FryeGuy24 (and Nik24X7): I looked at Register. Seems simple enough and I do have some of the other nraas mods. Question though: If the paparazzi are gone, will the rumors stop--even if my sims have celebrity status? Last night, I removed the stars from my couple in ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ. That seemed the easiest thing to do for now. But I have other couples in other worlds who are celebs too. Stripping them of what they've earned bothers me a little, but not as much as the rumors!

Shogo_Yahagi: Loved your rant. :) I agree with what you say. I lot of the responses to rumors just don't make sense. And the thing is, when one aspect of the game takes over to the point where you can't focus on anything else, it's overdone. Rumors and paparazzi are way over the top.

Thanks for the tip to save before suing. Should have thought of that. It would feel good to get some revenge on the rumor-makers, but then again it doesn't really solve anything, does it? Relationships are still penalized and the rumors continue.

Kilov17: I can see how the celebrity system would benefit an evil sim. And you're right, it's impossible to run around and try to repair all the hurt relationships. In the past, I just dragged the friendship bars back up a bit when the rumors hit. But I hate doing that!

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited April 2014
    lanlyn wrote:
    Question though: If the paparazzi are gone, will the rumors stop--even if my sims have celebrity status?

No. Rumors, false accusations, and disgraces will still occur. For disgraces, ordinary sims can spread the info around (like for public woohoo). That was my experience after using NRaas Register to just remove the paparazzi from the game. For some information about how the game handles disgraces, and how Nraas SP changes those, see here.

I used NRaas Story Progression and the Relationship Story Progression module to eliminate certain disgraces (public woohoo, woohoo with an occult) but the false accusations were still bothersome (but you can disable those too).

Eventually I realized that I had hobbled the celebrity system so much there wasn't much of a point to keeping it. So, like you did, I opted my household out, and used Master Controller to eliminate their celebrity stars. So far, no false accusations, no disgraces, no paparazzi, no living behind fences. I enjoy my game so much more.
    edited April 2014
    TreyNutz wrote:
    lanlyn wrote:
    Question though: If the paparazzi are gone, will the rumors stop--even if my sims have celebrity status?

No. Rumors, false accusations, and disgraces will still occur. For disgraces, ordinary sims can spread the info around (like for public woohoo). That was my experience after using NRaas Register to just remove the paparazzi from the game. For some information about how the game handles disgraces, and how Nraas SP changes those, see here.

I used NRaas Story Progression and the Relationship Story Progression module to eliminate certain disgraces (public woohoo, woohoo with an occult) but the false accusations were still bothersome (but you can disable those too).

Eventually I realized that I had hobbled the celebrity system so much there wasn't much of a point to keeping it. So, like you did, I opted my household out, and used Master Controller to eliminate their celebrity stars. So far, no false accusations, no disgraces, no paparazzi, no living behind fences. I enjoy my game so much more.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I guess this is why I didn't want to get into tweaking the system too much. What's the point? I'd be fighting a losing battle. If just being a celeb will cause rumors and relationship hits, can't just blame the reporters. Good to hear that removing the stars and opting out will work for what I want. Thanks again!
  • FryeGuy24FryeGuy24 Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited April 2014
    lanlyn wrote:

The rumors don't stop with NRaas Register, but they do stop with the other mod I mentioned: Shimrod's No Celebrity Disgrace. You can use both of those mods together or choose whichever you want.
    edited April 2014
    So, you guys want a laugh? Well, I guess I'm not exactly laughing. I just can't believe this new development. I finally get the rumor issue resolved for my ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ couple, the human guy and the witch. Then, she gets promoted in her Fortune Telling career and makes Master of Mysticism ... by coincidence, on the same day as their one year anniversary (being eternally faithful). They should be ecstatic, right? Yes, they are ... but not with each other.

The husband has rejected her. They hate each other. Their relationship bar went from perfect to half-red and moving lower. Why? Well, here's what I found out. EA programmed it so that when a sim becomes a Master Mystic (not a scam mystic though), anyone in the Science career or with the traits of Good, Family Oriented, or Friendly will boo and hate the mystic.

This couple just can't get a break! Sooo, now I have another decision to make: install a mod or make her quit her job. I can't leave it the way it is because she has many people in her relationship panel that have gone red now. :(

I don't understand why EA creates a world that is open, inclusive, and diverse--then undermines it. It's not like she's evil. In fact, she has the Friendly trait herself!! If I had known she'd get rewarded with hatred and scorn for reaching level 10 in her career, I'd never have given her that job! <shakes head>
  • Jackelope-Sims11Jackelope-Sims11 Posts: 35 New Member
    edited April 2014
    My regular 0 star sim got a rumor. He went to sue at the town hall, and almost lost all his money due to the tiny chance of winning the case.
  • MoonRabbit1992MoonRabbit1992 Posts: 3 New Member
    My 4 star celeb had woohoo with her fairy husband on their property, and she got publicly disgraced. The paparazzi can kiss it; I ain't suing for slander, pushing it off on someone else, or dispelling it as a rumor, because I don't think that's something she should be ashamed of. Really ticks me off.