Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unnamed Swiss Mountain Project! New pictures!! 4/11/14

niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
Now that my other world is coming to a close, I want to have another project. I was going to wait until I had a substantial ammount of work done before I would share it, but I've decided that this would work well if I could people to help me along the way.

I want to build a Swiss mountain village. Sort of like Hidden Springs, except larger, more faithful to Switzerland, and friendly to all EP's! I'm getting a lot of inspiration from Geneva, Zurich, a town called Grindelwald, etc. Google maps is a great tool! Please give your suggestions. Here's what I have so far;

The color scheme and potential trees. I have the Ornamental plumb tree, Holly tree from ITF, Ancient Oak tree from Dragon Valley, Cottonwood tree from Supernatural, and Fur tree from Pets.

Screenshot-326_zpsd171cccf.jpg

Here's the main mountain. It's based off of the Matterhorn. And this is what I will need the most help with. I have a really tough time making mountains! Don't let up, give me all the criticisms possible!

Screenshot-327_zps4c9d918d.jpg

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    edited March 2014
    Hi :D

I love the colors of your mountain. :thumbup:

I'd try to give the mountain harder edges. It's rock and not softened with soil...
    (yours still looks nice!)

Matterhorn-Switzerland.jpg
  • niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited March 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:

I love the colors of your mountain. :thumbup:

I'd try to give the mountain harder edges. It's rock and not softened with soil...
    (yours still looks nice!)

Thanks! I've been working on that. How would you suppose I'd go about it. Would you have any sort of algorithmic routine you would normally do? Whenever I try to make it look more jagged, it ends up looking spiny and unnatural.
    edited March 2014
    You could try that tutorial for using the World editing program. Maybe that could give different edges. :shock:
  • 17mars17mars Posts: 263 Member
    edited March 2014
    Just jumping in to day i love the theme you've chosen and would love to have that in my game!
    edited March 2014
    So I think I've chosen the roads. Tell me what you think! I've also extended the detailing of the mountains. I don't think I'm going to do anything substantial in the town until the mountains are finished. I've also created the second largest mountain which will be big project to paint, and it'll be the second focal point of the world.

Screenshot-330_zpsf2e4978c.jpg

The cobblestone road will be downtown, and the grey asphalt road will be throughout the rest of the world.

Screenshot-331_zps96967dae.jpg

Screenshot-332_zpsa4908f25.jpg
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited March 2014
    I've never used CAW so I have nothing useful to contribute :oops: I just really wanted to say that I love the colours and the shapes you have so far and I'm very excited to see more :D
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    edited March 2014
    I love the color schemes. Looks great so far :D
    edited March 2014
    Here's a pic of the next largest mountain. I realize it looks a bit messy, I'll soften up the textures next time I have a chance to work on it... unless you like it...

Screenshot-333_zps4ac897d8.jpg
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited March 2014
    Niac, I think your mountains look great! The terrain painting looks pretty realistic to me. I also love this idea and look forward to seeing more. :-)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    edited March 2014
    Hi niac, great work, I love the way your mountains look, just asking, will it be an island? I know DTs are like a *** in the **** but I really don´t like to have islands worlds that should not be so.

About the roads, if it´s ok to you they are all right but it is rather weired in Europe those roads with concret side walks, out from the urban areas, you should try to set a sidewalk that resembles a ditch or may be hide the sidewalk as asphalt giving some more width to the road and placing a path sidewalk next to it or just painting it with a mud texture (just suggesting :oops: )

In any case it looks great, thankyou for sharing and keep up the good work!
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
    edited March 2014
    junceda wrote:
    Hi niac, great work, I love the way your mountains look, just asking, will it be an island? I know DTs are like a *** in the **** but I really don´t like to have islands worlds that should not be so.

About the roads, if it´s ok to you they are all right but it is rather weired in Europe those roads with concret side walks, out from the urban areas, you should try to set a sidewalk that resembles a ditch or may be hide the sidewalk as asphalt giving some more width to the road and placing a path sidewalk next to it or just painting it with a mud texture (just suggesting :oops: )

In any case it looks great, thankyou for sharing and keep up the good work!

Thank you! :D Yeah, there are definitely distant terrains. It's always a pet peeve for me too to see a world that should not be an island not have a distant terrain. Sometimes you can hide it if the town is smaller, but mostly, it's just an eyesore.

I'll definitely consider that. You're right, it would look weird to have sidewalks in the country side, I'll probably just use the road without sidewalks from Moonlight falls.
  • OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    edited March 2014
    I'm excited for this project! If you need help building homes for it, I don't mind chipping in, always wanted a swiss skii resort type world. A nice little town nestled by a huge clear lake so people can go water skiing during the summer. :] Lots of mountains surrounding it. Would be wonderful!

I already made an alpine mini-skii resort that I wish I could use more often in worlds. Would fit so perfect in this one!

Screenshot-47.jpg
    Screenshot-25.jpg
    Screenshot-23.jpg
    Screenshot-36.jpg
    Screenshot-43.jpg

Super stoked~ :]

• MATZMATZ Posts: 1,854 New Member
    edited March 2014
    Lovr this project! excited for more
  • JodiRebbyJodiRebby Posts: 1,649 Member
    edited March 2014

Love this idea! Another world from niac1234! That will make three worlds in total! :D

I have no CAW experience so I'm not sure whether I can contribute anything. The last mountain pic looks a little bit off to me; I can't exactly put my finger on why. Maybe you should soften the texture. The mountains are gorgeous and most beautiful when you can see the lines and details in the snow. The colour scheme and trees work I think.

Hope this helps! :XD: :)

And these inspiration pics too:

288uiv5.jpg

34776hl.jpg

2iup5xw.jpg

edited April 2014
    I think I'm going to go back to this in the next week or so. Any more tips? :D
  • Kerim99Kerim99 Posts: 289 Member
    edited April 2014
    I live in Switzerland and it's nice to see people creating Swiss worlds. :-)

Your world looks amazing.
    If you want a German (or even Swiss German) name for this world, you can ask me anytime for that. :)
  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2014
    I have toyed with alpen villages as we'll. when you look at Switzerland form flight simulator, it is pretty apparent that civilization exists in the valleys. Not much is going on in the hills.

While Geneva is a beautiful city, with a spectacular approach, you might look at other smaller towns like Grenschen, Sion, or Lugano. Some of the towns in the French Alps like Courcheval and Mirabel are interesting as well.

You might actually consider having the mountains, and especially the Matterhorn in the distant terrain. The trouble with in game mountains is that your heights are quite limited. However, for mountains in the distant terrain, the sky, literally is the limit.

In my world, I filched a mountain from the Google warehouse, and plop pled it down in my distant terrain. It really is quite impressive. I am pretty sure you could find a Matterhorn there.
    edited April 2014
    tjstreak wrote:
    I have toyed with alpen villages as we'll. when you look at Switzerland form flight simulator, it is pretty apparent that civilization exists in the valleys. Not much is going on in the hills.

While Geneva is a beautiful city, with a spectacular approach, you might look at other smaller towns like Grenschen, Sion, or Lugano. Some of the towns in the French Alps like Courcheval and Mirabel are interesting as well.

You might actually consider having the mountains, and especially the Matterhorn in the distant terrain. The trouble with in game mountains is that your heights are quite limited. However, for mountains in the distant terrain, the sky, literally is the limit.

In my world, I filched a mountain from the Google warehouse, and plop pled it down in my distant terrain. It really is quite impressive. I am pretty sure you could find a Matterhorn there.

Thanks for the tips! That's my biggest problem with the world, getting the mountains to look big. I really have no idea how to do such a thing as create a distant terrain. I don't have an photo editing programs or such, so it's really not possible for me to do for this world.
    edited April 2014
    I've got some more pics. I've finally fully committed to this world. I really like the way it's turning out. :D Please give your feedback! :mrgreen:

Screenshot-32_zpsc07f4359.jpg

Screenshot-33_zps792fa018.jpg

Screenshot-31_zps46f61d2f.jpg

Screenshot-34_zpsd433f8ab.jpg
  • NilxisNilxis Posts: 596 Member
    edited April 2014
    I've been to Switzerland and I can tell it looks a lot like it!
    I really like the terrain paint, and you've managed to integrate the snow very well despite being something very tricky, so great job!

Are your mountains the highest height possible?, because in Switzerland the mountains and the valley's cliffs are huge and if it's possible you could make them bigger :wink:

Looking forward to see more!
    edited April 2014
    Nilxis wrote:
    I've been to Switzerland and I can tell it looks a lot like it!
    I really like the terrain paint, and you've managed to integrate the snow very well despite being something very tricky, so great job!

Are your mountains the highest height possible?, because in Switzerland the mountains and the valley's cliffs are huge and if it's possible you could make them bigger :wink:

Looking forward to see more!

Yep they're as tall as I could make them. I have used distant terrain to make taller mountains in the distance though, you just can't see it here. I'm going to be struggling with making these mountains look acceptable to me for months. :XD:

Thank you for your kind words! :D
  • OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    edited April 2014
    Your mountains look wonderful ! :D awesome job sculpting Hun! So you'll be using dragon valley rabbit holes?
    edited April 2014
    Your mountains look wonderful ! :D awesome job sculpting Hun! So you'll be using dragon valley rabbit holes?

It's hard to tell now. I'm just placing them for a reference. I'm tempted to put in the monte vista castle instead of the DV city hall, but that's tacky looking. I also hate the dragon valley police and millitary rabbithole for this town.

This whole world is kinda becoming a mix of Dragon Valley, Hidden Springs, Champs Les Sims with a bit of Monte Vista mixed in. You'll see when I post some more pics. I've pretty much finished laying out the world. I just need to finish placing the forest trees, then I can start doing lots and detailing. :D
    edited April 2014

I think it looks wonderful! The mountains look really good. 8)
  • citytubecitytube Posts: 458 Member
    edited April 2014
    :thumbup: This is just beautiful. The mountains are lovely. Your worlds are so pretty, and this looks to be up there with your other worlds. I just love the mountains.