Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

? about String of Inspiration Lights

There are 2 versions of the String of Inspiration lights. I bought the regular one, not the wall version. But in game, I noticed that I could also put the regular lights up against a wall or string them across a space. If this is true, what's the point of the wall string? Am I mistaken in how this string can work?

So, what is the difference between these two versions of lights? Just wondering whether I need to worry about spending simpoints on the wall version. Thanks!

Comments

• CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited March 2014
    Can you move the wall version up and down the wall? So it fits nicely against different sized windows or fences?
  • tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited March 2014
    Can you move the wall version up and down the wall? So it fits nicely against different sized windows or fences?

I don't have them yet, but hoping they are like all the wall lights and like you said, they have the ability to move up and down the wall... like wall art. So that would be a good reason to get them. :)
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited March 2014
    There are two versions of the String Of Inspiration Lights in the game, that's true. But they're separate in the buy catalog. One version is wall and the other version is ceiling. The wall version can only be place against the wall, unless you use the moveobjects cheat on them. The ceiling version of the lights can be placed along a wall or or over open space. What I did with the ceiling version is that I had ran a string out to a tree that was some 6 tiles out from the wall. I went around the tree with the lights, and then back to the wall again. :D
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,012 Member
    edited March 2014
    I looked at my lights in game again and saw that they don't really string against the wall; they only come close. They also are not able to be raised or lowered. So the second set of lights, the wall version, would be different from what I have.

I do have another set of wall lights in decor. I pulled them out and they are able to be raised and lowered. They just don't match the new Bohemian strings. They are also shorter. But since they can change heights, maybe the new wall ones can too. Don't know. But I think I will buy them to match the ones I have.
  • FishkickingGiraffeFishkickingGiraffe Posts: 544 Member
    edited March 2014
    You can move the wall string lights up and down

screenshot_original.jpg

The wall was built to show the lights. My sims do not live in a well lit prison :)
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited March 2014
    You can move the wall string lights up and down

screenshot_original.jpg

The wall was built to show the lights. My sims do not live in a well lit prison :)

Woo! That's great! Thank you for checking!!! I didn't think to check that when I was playing around with the items! :D
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited March 2014
    The wall light version also has a cute little bracket detail at each end that makes them appear as if they are "attached" to the wall. I appreciate the kind of attention to detail that includes mounting hardware (I'm weird like that), so I can vouch for this particular difference between the two lights.

Store Team, thanks for the realistic detailing! :thumbup: Some of us are OCD about hardware design.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited March 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    The wall light version also has a cute little bracket detail at each end that makes them appear as if they are "attached" to the wall. I appreciate the kind of attention to detail that includes mounting hardware (I'm weird like that), so I can vouch for this particular difference between the two lights.

Store Team, thanks for the realistic detailing! :thumbup: Some of us are OCD about hardware design.
    I had noticed the same little brackets on the ceiling version too. I had noticed the brackets when I had ran a string of the ceiling lights between two columns. I had spotted the brackets when I had the columns to far apart from each other. Which caused me to respaced the columns so that the lights would appear as if they were attached to the columns at both ends. :D
    edited March 2014
    I got on the Sims site a little earlier and found out that someone had gifted me the Inspiration Wall Lights! What a wonderful surprise. Thank you so much Jessabeans! I've also posted a thank you in the Gift Gathering forum. So very thoughtful. :)
    edited March 2014
    Here's a post I made over in the gifting forum with my pictures of the lights. Is this an ok way to refer to another post, or is it considered double posting?
    lanlyn wrote:
    I was just playing around with the new string of inspiration lights today. I got carried away with the chicken coop. I don't think barn fowl have ever had it so good. :lol:

Here are the regular string of lights. They float in the air. But I had to use moveobjects on to place those columns so the strings would attach snugly. The dress is Jessabeans' pattern: Evening at the Palms Sundress. Formal or everyday for YA or adult.

original.jpg

Here are the wall lights. As you can see, they can be lowered or raised, but need to be against a wall. The bulbs and even the strings can be recolored on both versions of lights.

original.jpg
  • emfellowsemfellows Posts: 18
    edited March 2014
    Hey I noticed from the set up they have for the hanging inspirational lights they have 3 strings of lights attached to a pillar? but from different angles? I have been trying and trying to do this but I can not figure out what they did or used to get them to hang this way? I have the testingcheatsenabled true on and move objects on but still nothing lets me string the lights the way they have it in their photo.. Anyone know a trick I don't?
    Thumbnail_688x336_ADD8.jpg
    edited March 2014
    emfellows wrote:
    Hey I noticed from the set up they have for the hanging inspirational lights they have 3 strings of lights attached to a pillar? but from different angles? I have been trying and trying to do this but I can not figure out what they did or used to get them to hang this way? I have the testingcheatsenabled true on and move objects on but still nothing lets me string the lights the way they have it in their photo.. Anyone know a trick I don't?

If you hold down alt when rotating the object you can pick the angle you want rather than be tied to 90 degree increments :)
  • emfellowsemfellows Posts: 18
    edited March 2014
    emfellows wrote:

If you hold down alt when rotating the object you can pick the angle you want rather than be tied to 90 degree increments :)

OH IT DOES?? OH THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!
  • SimGuruCopelandSimGuruCopeland Posts: 741 Member
    edited March 2014
    We added the wall version because we felt by adjusting the height it would give players the option of string it along fences or decorate for the holidays.
    edited March 2014
    My little pixel peeps appreciate that :)
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited March 2014
    We added the wall version because we felt by adjusting the height it would give players the option of string it along fences or decorate for the holidays.

I appreciate it!
    edited March 2014
    SimGuruCopeland: Oh! I need to try putting my wall version on fences. :)