Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"You own this item" I didn't buy it, though!

Whenever a new sale for sets starts (on Friday), I always look them up to see if any of them have CYS applied (you never know, sometimes one may get lucky).

Two of them were the two Cambodia sets. I don't remember even buying them (and in fact, only noticed this when I checked for CYS)

However, it said, when I went to check a set, that I already own it. It said the same for the other one.

I then checked my purchase history.
1z21yjk.png
Sure enough, there they are! I only started to notice all this when I went to look for any CYS.

I remember I only had a small percentage of CYS on one (from a LONG time before), and none on the other. Even with the sale, that would only have been 30 percent off.

The last time I used a cash card was on Christmas Eve, about half I used to gift others during the holidays (the rest I used for other sets. Didn't even think about the sets in question). In fact, any Simpoints I used recently are complimentary Simpoints, after the cash card Simpoints.

It says I got them for free, but I don't remember getting them in the first place.

I'm thinking this was nothing more than a mistake. Just what could have happened?
AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
MQ2gUyY.jpg
Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)

Comments

• sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited February 2014
    I had a similar experience with some of the stuff that comes with the Lunar Lake world. Somehow I had ended up with some of the trees from Lunar Lake, and I had never bought that world. It is mind boggling, I know. I know because I still haven't been able to figure out how I come to have some of those trees from Lunar Lake to this day. I know that they wasn't gifted to me, and that they didn't come in some mystery bag from buying simpoints. :D
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited February 2014
    Well, the Goth items were a good portion of the May 2012 compilation set. If you had those, then you were eligible for May 2012 for free (which the remaining would be the Cambodia items). Are you sure you didn't download that for free?

Maybe somehow it automatically did it because you were eligible for it?
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited February 2014
    sunman502 wrote:
    I had a similar experience with some of the stuff that comes with the Lunar Lake world. Somehow I had ended up with some of the trees from Lunar Lake, and I had never bought that world. It is mind boggling, I know. I know because I still haven't been able to figure out how I come to have some of those trees from Lunar Lake to this day. I know that they wasn't gifted to me, and that they didn't come in some mystery bag from buying simpoints. :D

Some of the Lunar Lakes trees came with the patch that was released about that time.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited February 2014
    It's just how CYS works. You have a combination of items or sets that allowed you to get them for free. It's a gift. Say thanks and enjoy.
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited February 2014
    CK213 wrote:
    sunman502 wrote:

Some of the Lunar Lakes trees came with the patch that was released about that time.
    Well that would explain how those Lunar Lake trees ended up in my game. Thanks for explaining that to me CK. :D
  • kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited February 2014
    I don't know how the Kingdom of Cambodia sets ended up in your Purchase History, but I do know that that happened to quite a few Simmers in the Daily Deals thread back during the CyberMonday sales. I think it was half a dozen or so who reported the set just being there one day. As far as I know, no one ever figured out why, but I will reiterate that having got the Oh My Goth! Compilation, you should have had a pretty low CYS price on the May 2012 Compilation (which is made up of the Kingdom of Cambodia sets and the Gothic Glamour sets) -- in fact, it might have been free, especially since you had a little in one of the Kingdom of Cambodia sets. That said, there's no reason it should have just appeared in your Purchase History.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I wouldn't worry; just try take it as a happy little accident. These things do happen all the time -- I remember hearing about quite a few Simmers who received Barnacle Bay, and others who received Monte Vista, free one day! It was just there, in their Purchase History! Regardless, EA won't come busting down your door for their mistake. I remember I CYSed a set once, and somehow I got an extra set added to my Purchase History with it; I was so freaked out that I'd done something wrong, but all is well and that guilt was unnecessary.

Take advantage of your good fortune! :D

Happy Simming!

EDIT: Apparently using an acronym for Kingdom of Cambodia is a naughty word that gets starred out. :oops:
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited February 2014
    I was one of the lucky ones to get the Kingdom of Cambodia for free. It just showed up but that was awhile back when it showed up for some folk.
  • YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited February 2014
    The Cambodia sets appeared for me a little while ago, which was weird. But I wasn't complaining: they were free :mrgreen:
  • igzigpuffigzigpuff Posts: 2,634 Member
    edited February 2014
    How lucky that some of you were able to get some free stuff. :mrgreen:

After a few store patches my purchase history shows some worlds & sets that I paid for as "Free"! :? Go figure? :shock:
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited February 2014
    sunman502 wrote:

I think the trees were added in a patch that came out about the time LL was released -- I had the trees for a long time before I bought the world (it was on sale and I wanted some of the houses plus the Tree of Prosperity).

As for the free sets, once you get to a certain percentage of set being owned, you can download the whole thing for free -- so if you buy a few individual pieces at a time, or people gift them to you, then eventually with CYS you can get the entire set. So it makes sense to add each item from a set individually to your Wish List; no one's going to give you an entire set (unless they're really generous), but you might get one or two pieces at a time and then with CYS be able to get the rest of it for a really low price or even for free.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • SunnyBelleSunnyBelle Posts: 1,262 Member
    edited February 2014
    igzigpuff wrote:
    How lucky that some of you were able to get some free stuff. :mrgreen:

After a few store patches my purchase history shows some worlds & sets that I paid for as "Free"! :? Go figure? :shock:

I have the same situation...

My eyes nearly boogled out when Roaring Heights, I had just purchased, then showed in my purchase history as *Free* not purchased 0-0

I just made sure I had it saved in a special place incase one day it disappears out of my Purchase history 0-0.

I do this with all my store things. One copy goes into your Sims/Downloads folder and I put another to a second drive and then another every once in a while back up to an external drive. Better to be safe than sorry :D

• AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited February 2014
    SunnyBelle wrote:
    My eyes nearly boogled out when Roaring Heights, I had just purchased, then showed in my purchase history as *Free* not purchased 0-0

This is a different situation. It would not have shown as "Free" if you had not already purchased it. :wink:
    Retail worlds (except Hidden Springs - was converted to points and Barnacle Bay - shows as code redemption) show as "Free" when in fact, you paid real money for them. They did this because apparently some law now prohibits them from converting to Simpoints - that's why they can't sell retail worlds for Simpoints and vice versa.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited February 2014
    Technically, those worlds are 'Simpoint bundle gifts'.

I had some stuff marked 'free' that I had bought before. They came with compilations that were free with CYS, so they're now in my PH twice, once for the regular pre-CYS price and once 'free' as part of the compilation.
    As if my PH wasn't too long as it is. :roll:
  • Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited February 2014
    Sometimes when stuff goes on the Daily Deal or Sale page, if what they charge you for a partial is LESS than the sale or DD price, they give it to you for free. For example; I owned about 40% for the BauHaus set and the price to complete was 845, the set came up on the DD for 945 and it was free for me because the CYS price was cheaper than the DD price. I got 90% of the compilation sets that way.

It is also a good idea to always check the individual set prices and the compilation set prices, sometimes you can get either for much cheaper than the other and it ends up giving you both when you buy the cheaper one. I got several compilations for less than 100sps and ended up with several sets I owned none of for free. :)

Congrats on your good fortune!! :thumbup:
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    edited February 2014
    sunman502 wrote:

I got some of the Luna Lakes tree as part of some Sim points I bought a while back. I think 3 years ago or more. It showed mystery bag next to the points. I was surprised because I never downloaded them, they just showed up in my downloads on my computer. They don't show in my downloads on this site. Strange indeed.