Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Just Can't Let Them Die!

Is it just me, or whenever I star a new Sim game, with a new family, it's because I don't want my original family to age and die?

So basically, when I first got the Sims 3, I made my Simself, as well as my boyfriend. My Sims have a nice house, 2 kids, and three pets. I've gotten to the point where my Sims are adults, and their two twins are now teens.

Yet, I just can't play with them anymore! I'm so afraid of us dying that I keep making new families, and the cycle continues! I have used cheats to set the aging back, etc. but I really want to try and get through a game.. I just get so attached!

Is that weird? :?

Comments

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited February 2014
    I also get very attached to my sims and when I first started playing it took many saves before I was able to let them age and die.

Because I love playing games that go many generations I have had to learn to let go. I actually enjoy my elders very much now and, although I still get sad when they die, I know they are not really gone because I keep their headstones in my yard and they visit all the time :D
  • Options
    snolan1993snolan1993 Posts: 102 Member
    edited February 2014
    Mikezumi wrote:
    I also get very attached to my sims and when I first started playing it took many saves before I was able to let them age and die.

Because I love playing games that go many generations I have had to learn to let go. I actually enjoy my elders very much now and, although I still get sad when they die, I know they are not really gone because I keep their headstones in my yard and they visit all the time :D

That sounds lovely. And now that I finally got around to purchasing Generations, I think it's about time to just move on from my original family. I just feel bad letting myself and boyfriend die! Haha!

I've had the game for almost as long as we've been together and he'll get a kick out of us dying! (3 years xD)
  • Options
    Samr883Samr883 Posts: 1,139 New Member
    edited February 2014
    I'm exactly the same. The 2 original sims in my first family got to elders. After that none of them have even reached adult stage. I do get attached to them, but it's not that I'm gonna be sad if they die, it's just that I've made so much progress with them (especially my current sim) that I can't just throw it away. :P
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Samr883 wrote:
    I'm exactly the same. The 2 original sims in my first family got to elders. After that none of them have even reached adult stage. I do get attached to them, but it's not that I'm gonna be sad if they die, it's just that I've made so much progress with them (especially my current sim) that I can't just throw it away. :P

I'll eventually get the courage to let the poor Sims die. I'm happy that I made all of my Sim's games within the same town. All of my creations are friends in one way or another, and I see them aging along the way, then switch households.
  • Options
    Zabeth0Zabeth0 Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited February 2014
    I don't think that's odd at all. I think that it's such a common feeling that there are plenty of cheats in the game, and ways in the game without cheating to stop or reverse aging...like ambrosia and life fruits and further on, lifetime rewards options, and elixirs... if it weren't a common feeling, why would it be given so much attention? I think it's even worse if it is your simself, because allowing your simself to die has...mortality implications that most of us don't want to deal with. :D

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I couldn't have said it better myself! I have tried to make a bunch of different families, so maybe i'll let one of them die first just to ease into the pain ahah!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I don't believe I have allowed my simself to die but she (like me) is an elder and it would hardly be fair to just place her in a save and let her die before she has a chance to have some fun ;)
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    edited February 2014
    See, you are in good company. Myself included, at least to some extent.
    I think this is the final barrier why, no matter how attached I become to a Sim (and I can be extremely fickle) I never manage to make the born-in-game reach full Adult. It would mean their parents are Elders.

Simself must be another complicating factor to the emotions too.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    NRowe wrote:
    See, you are in good company. Myself included, at least to some extent.
    I think this is the final barrier why, no matter how attached I become to a Sim (and I can be extremely fickle) I never manage to make the born-in-game reach full Adult. It would mean their parents are Elders.

Simself must be another complicating factor to the emotions too.

That's another thing, i've always wanted to follow a Sim in-game from when they are a baby. So hopefully, with my new Legacy, I'll allow this to happen.

My girl is just going on a date now from the last time I saved! (Her man kind of looks like Adam Levine, but he's just a made-over maid service guy xD)
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited February 2014
    I still have my sim Jetta Burns from March 2013! She was the first sim I ever made, so she's special to me- even if she's an evil virtuoso! :wink:

01_zpsa79cea80.jpg"width=640"

02_zps42cfac77.jpg"width=640"

Since she was created, Jetta has been thru 3 different hard disk drives on two different desktops! I had her learn the Ambrosia recipe and even bought a cow plant. Cow plant milk will reverse the age as well, but you've must feed it a sim for it to make milk. Since Jetta is evil, she has plenty of enemies that she can feed to the cow plant. :twisted:

I tried. I let her die an old lady, but I just re-downloaded her. I just can't let her go...
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    edited February 2014
    After the first one - it gets easier and easier...mwahahaha.... :twisted: :twisted:

Edit to say I am sorry I couldn't resist. But actually it does get easier as the generations go and you get reattached to the new one that started out as an infant. :oops:
  • Options
    raacheel14raacheel14 Posts: 875 Member
    edited February 2014
    I feel the same way. I have one family that has been through generations but then I have a family with my simself and my boyfriends simself and I never want them to die!
    To me it's easier when I'm playing sims that aren't my simself, then I find myself actually getting excited to move on to the next generation. :)
  • Options
    emptyGforceemptyGforce Posts: 117 New Member
    edited February 2014
    None of my Sims have died. This has been true from the beginning. This is because I haven't played them long enough for them to die of old age.
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited February 2014
    It was really hard to let my sims die at first. I set life span to epic and moved those sliders ALLLL the way out.

But me desire to try a legacy won out. Now I have generations where I can't wait for the elders to die because I never liked them that much anyway. :-)
  • Options
    organgrinder20porgangrinder20p Posts: 479 New Member
    edited February 2014
    I'm worse than any of you, not only do I never let my sims die, I never let any one in the town die. My Sims must first save themselves (ambrosia} then learn alcemy to throw young again potion at old people in the hood. They also visit the cemetary (they are there to get death fish anyway) and pick up stones at the mauseleum, I resurect them too. As long as you can retrieve the stone the dead ar'nt really dead. Interestingly tho I don't mind much if families move away!?!
  • Options
    ForeverFranconiaForeverFranconia Posts: 2,154 Member
    edited February 2014
    You are not alone!

When their time is really close I have to have them move out so I would see their deaths...and I'll get a notification saying that they died.

So far I only saw two sims die in any of my saves. One was a sim I made, but she was a townie, and the other was a because a guy just walked away and let her burn to death... :evil:
  • Options
    FairyLights1FairyLights1 Posts: 759 Member
    edited February 2014
    I can't see why anyone lets their sims die at all, I don't even turn aging on, sometimes I make elders, but they don't die. But to each their own.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It was really hard to let my sims die at first. I set life span to epic and moved those sliders ALLLL the way out.

But me desire to try a legacy won out. Now I have generations where I can't wait for the elders to die because I never liked them that much anyway. :-)

Haha! All of you guys are so heartless, it's hilarious xD And maybe that's another one of my problems. I'm not a huge fan of the Elders myself, so I don't want them to get old and decrepit. ;P
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    snolan1993 wrote:
    Haha! All of you guys are so heartless, it's hilarious xD And maybe that's another one of my problems. I'm not a huge fan of the Elders myself, so I don't want them to get old and decrepit. ;P

My simself is an elder (like me) and I don't think she's decrepit any more than I think I am decrepit.

Here's one of my elder couples from an old save that I really enjoyed playing. In fact, some of my favourite sims have been elders.
    Screenshot-2530_zps12147c82.jpg"width=640"
  • Options
    ARRenschARRensch Posts: 694 Member
    edited February 2014
    I usually don't turn aging on and use birthday cakes until they get to elder, then I just let them be. But I think that the decrepit looking elders are good because they've lost a little bit of your favoritism before they die. Making a sim's lifespan short will keep you from becoming too attached but a long one lets their moments last longer.

I still remember when my sim Laura was a young, single, poor adult. Now she's married with a kid and an average amount of money with a level four job and almost an adult. The aging is "epic lifespan" and I'm beginning to wish they could live longer...

I also have another family even farther along. They started out as a poor married couple and they now have good money, a level seven job, (only one works), good money and four kids, two are children, one is a toddler who's learned all their skills and the other's a baby. Again this is "epic lifespan" so they've come quite far in the game.

It's hard to let go but if you've ever had a family member in their nineties who dies, someone always says that 'it was their time'. Same with the sims, it's sad when they go, but if they've made it to elder, then it's easier because you know 'it's their time'.
    They were ready.
    Wearing a gas mask to flex on the coronavirus.
  • Options
    ARRenschARRensch Posts: 694 Member
    edited February 2014
    Sorry, I don't know how I posted twice. :oops:
    Wearing a gas mask to flex on the coronavirus.
  • Options
    FlashygrrlFlashygrrl Posts: 634 Member
    edited February 2014
    ARRensch wrote:
    Sorry, I don't know how I posted twice. :oops:

Did the nerd boy show up with the "maintenance" page? Meet Liam...we always blame him for our double posts.
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited February 2014
    this is why I don't create sims that look like me, I did once in the beginning and freaked out on what I looked like as a granny with grey hair and I died, so now I don't do my simself for that same reason, I know we ALL die in real life and in games, but... it just is too eerie for me so that is why I create a family that I don't get attached to, u can easily get too atchached to them, but you'll get there, it gets easier once a sim dies that you're playing :)
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited February 2014
    I wouldn't allow my Sims to age out too fast so they don't get to experience each of the seasons at least once in each life stage.I also use Master Controller to reset the age meter so I don't have to turn aging off and I play the entire town so I won't play one family without changing over to other families in town.I expect to play the town families though their lives and play their kids and future generations.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    These all sound like great ideas. I want to play all of my families, but it just gets overwhelming! And whenever I see a sim I know in town, I usually set their age back because I really like them (Or I made them).

It is nice being the sim god to them :)