Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hardly any lag: rebuilt ALL the houses in IP! worked for 14 of us so far ;) 2 negative

Comments

• stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited February 2014

okay I went completely chatty kathy there, :oops: Anyway.
    treintrien wrote:

According to that thread, the problem with the spiral staircases was fixed for IP in patch 1.57 but for whatever reason, lots of people who should be patched to that level or even above, are still having problems. For myself, those staircases were definitely not fixed by the patch. Which means the previous incremental patch didn't take, for whatever reason.

Anybody with the same problem, will want the Super Patch. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page
  • treintrientreintrien Posts: 492 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Stickykisses:
    You were allready counted in :mrgreen:
    I was playing around with that Hobarts, too.

The unreachable bugs started for me after building a swimmingpool, so I decided to go back a save and try again.
    I found that if I manage to build without using basement levels ( I put the swimming pool on first floor with access from sports area) the bugs don't seem to appear underground... I got one lowlevel and one highest level maintenance, seems to work.
    If someone would be willing to confirm this?

I also found miss Scott stuck on the water of the empty lot on 33 Surf circle. So I made the water of that lot a bit less shallow and she hasn't been stuck since. Nor has any other sim.

Like you, I'm also thinking of starting one more time,to do all the repairs I found during last week of gameplay in one go. But it's been a LOT of work and doing it all again doesn't really appeal to me.

You're not half as chatty as I am ;) But at least we áre getting somewhere. Team Work! Shaka Bra! :mrgreen:

edit
    Oh.. and the stairs at the Ichtaca's?
    I would love to help you with that, but my klepto sim stole it on the first day in the game :mrgreen: they will get it back when he completes his ltw of owning 50000 in stolen stuff ;)

editedit
    That PrimaveraPort I think was built using that cheat where you can mess with wall heights :?: Constrainfloorelevation something :?
    It's one I don't use anymore because I messed up too many times :roll: And I think the EA-builder messed up, too :lol::wink:
    Sims float up a few feet in the air when they leave the port and then gently float down to the road.
    Considering the lag is still gone this is a pet peeve :mrgreen:
    Still thinking whether or not to delete this port.
  • AlessarAlessar Posts: 276 New Member
    edited February 2014
    treintrien wrote:
    Alessar:
    Please let us know if it also worked for you?

So far, all I have done is bulldozed the Medina and Amigos houses. That alone has stopped about 35-40% of my freezeups. I recommend everyone do at least that, it's just 2 houses.

I haven't done any more tinkering because I have my first game in play and I'm still kind of discovering the world and how gameplay and boats all work, and I left story progression on so plenty of things have changed from the baseline already. Before I start a second play I'll do a massive repair of the world - or try downloading the fixed version I read someone on Mod the Sims has made.

I think I may fiddle with just a couple more lots or houseboats before then just to see if there are noticeable incremental changes.
    edited February 2014
    :-) Yay!
    I would keep a small list of things you see in your first playthrough, Alessar.
    That way you can do the most urgent repairs in a fresh town and save that.
    Saves you a lot of work :!:

Added in title :mrgreen:
    edited February 2014
    Just to keep you informed:
    Some simmers reported it worked so I updated the title.
    Then I found one player this failed on, so I'm trying to find out why. And updated the title again...

Gamewise:
    I kept getting messages on Kahali so moved him to shore.
    Then the Dreggs moved to his boat and then I kept on getting messages on them.
    I tried to fix the boat but nothing works. It wasn't really bothering me, but still deleted the boat. Replaced it with my very own trusted green warrior family activists boat ;) and no more messages from that boat or family anymore. :mrgreen:
  • AlessarAlessar Posts: 276 New Member
    edited February 2014
    I started my new game. I decided to download Ellacharmed's fixed version from Mod the Sims. She already fixed the problems with most of the houses and tweaked routing errors for others. I still bulldozed the 2 most offensive houses right away, as well as Port Primavera (seriously I did not need that port there are plenty of others and that was one that became buggy again after a recent patch). I also deleted the Scott family and the Arias got moved. I also got a lot of errors for another houseboat, so I bulldozed it as well. I have some lag but it's just occasional (aside from daily go to work/update spikes). I've been able to leave most of the stock houses and houseboats alone and it's very playable on my computer, which is several years old at this point.
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the report, Alessar!

edited February 2014
    OK: small update:

Still running smooth.
    I found that placing small trees from IP right on the spot Simmies get stuck near the ports seems to stop Simmies getting stuck there. For decor I placed some small rocks around the base of the trees/bushes.

I added some family houses to make sure there's enough room for everyone. Then I found out the front door options were gone :shock:
    Seems that option is only available in an unplayed town.
    Still testing on this one.

Happy simming everyone!
  • RynMarRynMar Posts: 9 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Maybe you can help me!

I have no problems at all with sims getting stuck, but my game lags A LOT!
    I would really rather not restart everything so here's what Ive tried:
    - Deleting the Scott family
    - Destroying the Los Amigos house
    - Destroying the Medina's house
    - Destroying the castle
    - discoverAllunchartedislands Cheat

And I don't really want to go in and fix everything by hand, that's WAY too much work. This is getting very frustrating to the point where I almost want to give up. I've had this expansion for a while and I haven't played on it much because of this issue, which really sucks 'cause if it didn't have this issue it might very well have been my favorite expansion.

Help?
    edited February 2014
    RynMar:

The first thing I would try is testplaying in a new IPsave. Remove the bad housing, maybe one or two resorts and the two bigger houseboats (I cannot remember the name of the bad one, so in this testgame just remove both. You can move Rubisel to another house.)
    If you use mods I would remove them all except NRAAS overwatch (if you set this to find stuck simmies and not reset them, you will get a notice they are stuck and locate them easy)edit: maybe even try a fresh factory install: move your sims3folder to desktop. Let the game generate a new one. This will have no cc/store content. If it doesn't work, just remove the new folder and put your old one back, No harm done) -edit

Just play the game with a testsim. If this game is less laggy, there's something wrong in your save.
    If the test game still lags, there's some other problem, like some alarm playing up, or too much spawners firing at once. Or even a hardware issue :cry:

If the test game doesn't lag (or laggs less):
    Things to try in your real town:
    I'm guessing the front door of the collins house is still located inside the house. Replace the front wall arches with doors (I deleted the wall that made the 'archway' to make a bigger living room)
    (could that be the purple lady or something like that? It's the one in the middle in the row of three near the festival lot)

Check the Adobe Abode, it's got a similar problem with the front door. If I remember correctly this house had the arches placed with moveobjects on. This means you cannot replace them on the same spot: you'll have to fiddle a bit with the wall so the new door will fit.

edit2:
    I also deleted the white empty modern house on modern lane 10 (again: if I remember the adress right, I am hopeless with these things IRL too) There's this terraced hill in the middle of the big main island. Three big lots in the valley area 35x35 and 60x60 empty at start game and a 50x50 with a modern house: I destroyed this house. In one of my older saves I put a stable there and the horse got stuck all the time: I think it's the uneven terrain causing it. Worth a try?

On a side note:
    Have you been playing this town for a long time?
    Maybe your save got too big. After about 12 generations every one of my towns ended up jerking and stuttering, the biggest save I got to work just long enough to move the family was about 325mb, it just said: sims 3 has stopped working and returned to desktop.

Let me know if any of this has been of any help to you :?:

PS I used the supernaturals I was going to place in IP to test the town during fixing and had so much fun with them :mrgreen:
    I tend to micromanage and found out I had missed so much autonomous actions and other little things.
    I tried just about everything I would never do in my 18th generation long-term-stay-happy-have-everything household :mrgreen:
    Playtesting a town can be a fun experience :mrgreen:

edit3:
    According to Amjoie and WritingReg it is NOT advised to remove any sims that are placed in the game by EA, like the Scott and the Collins family. Move them anywhere in town, just don't remove them.
    I tend to believe these two simmers :mrgreen:
    This is a good thread about causes of lagging:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/536956.page

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited February 2014
    I really think if I knew how to use mods, the overwatch one might be very useful!

Thank you so much for the help! I'm going to try some of these things and get back to you.
    edited February 2014
    Oh! The game I really don't want to lose is 6 sim weeks old. I started it out by immediately deleting the Scott family and it ran fine till pretty much now...
    edited February 2014
    I guess something is supposed to happen to the Scotts in week six then. And when the game couldn't find them it started throwing a fit.

I would move my own sims to a new town, six weeks means you probably won't lose any family ties (if you put the gravestones on your lot/in inventory)

My game ran fine with these fixes even without overwatch added, that's why I am so convinced this really works!

I'll check for your reply in the next days (long weekend)
    Good luck!
    edited March 2014
    I will be posting my observations, but I wonder if you could tell me in point form how to use the overwatch mod???
  • zombie615zombie615 Posts: 10
    edited March 2014
    ~ 100% Lag-Free Solution ~

Uninstall isla paradiso an use CAW to make your own Replica of the world using S3pe to extract the height map an files. Go to the lots sub cat an delete all. Replace rabbit holes where you want an edit the pier area where sims are getting stuck. Abra kadabra problem solved :)
    edited March 2014
    @Rynmar:
    If I can set this up, you can too! Pretty Positive 'bout that! :mrgreen: I used these instructions:
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files
    Basically:
    Download the mods folder and cut/paste it in your mydocuments/sims3 folder. The instructions show you pictures of how your folders should look after setting up. Test the game: start it and check if it skips the intro. That way you'll know if it works. Then go to the NRAAS wiki and download the overwatch file for your patchversion. Paste that file to the packages folder.
    Hope this helps :mrgreen:

@Zombie615:
    Nah. I'm too stupid for that :mrgreen:
    Never got the hang of that CAW-thing.

@lucyvp86:
    Good tips!
    I love how you've found completely different solutions to the problem houses :lol: a different game for everyone, gotta love that :mrgreen:
    Example:
    I completely removed that Spanish Resort. I never visit these resorts anyway, so it wasn't a real loss :oops:

I'd like to know what exactly is wrong with the Scotts?
    In my game I've rebuilt their boat and just plopped them back, they were fine? I think they start out on Port Pleasant, am I right? That one has been causing the last hiccups in my game: it's got a very steep waterfront around it and sometimes sims that want to visit Port Pleasant get stuck there. I 'fixed' it by putting a nonvisitorsallowed academy boat there with the boardbreaker and the training dummy.

I'd advise against removing trees in the world (outside lots), WritingReg and Amjoye said somewhere that leaves some sort of unroutable hole in the surface and you have to reapply routing to fix it? I can honestly not say I noticed that, but again, if these two claim things like that... I tend to believe them ;)

Thanks for sharing!
  • Tasaio_KhanTasaio_Khan Posts: 3
    edited March 2014
    treintrien wrote:
    :!: Edit to highlight two VERY easy fixes:
    Remove the house the medina family lives in.
    Remove the house the Amigos live in.
    You can move the sims in both families to other houses, they are ok. :!:

I would like to confirm this (and also thank Treintrien) as something that will partly solve lag issues in IP. Previously, I had constant micro-lags and much longer 10-15 second lags every 30 seconds after about a 12hr period (game time). After deleting these two houses and re-homing the families, I still get the micro-lags but the longer lags have decreased to about five seconds and they occur every 5-10 minutes.

Believe me, I know this is far from ideal, but it does traverse that line between playable and unplayable. I suspect the remaining lag will be down to issues with some other houses, but as yet I haven't come across anything as concrete as this advice to act on. Treintrien was very specific, and actually tested; something that made me willing to trust the advice.

I'm aware that there is a downloadable fix world file for IP, but as I'm using a Steam version of the game it doesn't look too straightforward to utilise. I'll perhaps look a bit further into that. For now, just thought I'd confirm this for people as something that does help.

My thanks for enabling me to at least part-enjoy this EP. 8)
    edited March 2014
    :mrgreen:
    Tasaio_Khan, thanks for the report!
    edit: and still get warm fuzzies moodlet and the good moodlet when I read it works and for being thanked :oops: so thank you for being nice!

Will add you to title.

:mrgreen:
    For the remaining lag:
    I suspect the Collins family in your game:
    Colonial Casa, 75 civic center.
    there should be 5 of them trying to get into their house near the big plaza festival lot. And Rosemary is pregnant so 6 people routefailing to a front door might halt your game a bit. Just remove the arches in the front wall and put a door there. Lucy?? mentioned in this thread that she removed access to the top floor.

The modern house on 10 modern mile, if you don't need it:
    Destroy and level terrain.
    It's unoccipied at the beginning of the game and no one has lived there in my game for the longest time.
    Only noticed recently I got a lot of overwatch reports there.

Hope this helps!
    Happy simming all!

• Tasaio_KhanTasaio_Khan Posts: 3
    edited March 2014
    treintrien wrote:
    For the remaining lag:
    I suspect the Collins family in your game:
    Colonial Casa, 75 civic center.
    there should be 5 of them trying to get into their house near the big plaza festival lot. And Rosemary is pregnant so 6 people routefailing to a front door might halt your game a bit. Just remove the arches in the front wall and put a door there. Lucy?? mentioned in this thread that she removed access to the top floor.

Good Lord, you were right. Only four of them for me (five including the baby), but they were just there, milling about. Did as you suggested, hopefully we'll see another notch of improvement. Once again, my sincere gratitude. Methinks you deserve your own consolidated sticky with these instructions in, it would benefit a lot of people who will be struggling. :)

Instant improvement here. I'd say I'm at about 85% of normal, which is more than playable. Thanks so much!

EDIT 2: I noticed the Icatha (spelled horribly wrong, I know) milling around outside their castle too. Deleted the arch, placed a door, they began to behave as normal. But the game? The game reverted to being laggy as hell again, a step too far? Weird why access to their house would cause significant lag spikes again? I'm hitting very long spikes every 30 seconds now, once more! *sob*
    edited March 2014
    Oh dear, I've actually miscounted the Collins :lol: Indeed it's five of them, but that's still a lot of sims to be routefailing at the same time ;)

Someone said to remove the spiral stairs in the ichtaca castle?

I only preset the front door to the actual front door and that helped for me.

Maybe add a small structure on the first level of their entrance stairs with a new front door?

Or testingcheatsenabled true and (re)set front of lot?

As a last resort: move ichtaca family to clipboard, copy the empty castle to library, delete old castle, replace house and family.
    This should reset house and sims.

Hope something of this helps!

lucyvp86: thanks again for explaining what you did!
    edited March 2014
    I did phrase that very wrong in my first post en edited it later, but I never delete premade townies. Just don't, it's very bad for your town. I've read that in a very helpful thread by Amjoye, mentioned before somewhere.

I build a nice new home for the people I move out, that's how I roll haha. I't just the houses I remove/rebuild.
    I added a few very cheap houseboats and houses and a few larger ones. I play with NRAAS SP so the only house that has 2 double beds is the Ichtaca Castle. I hoped they'd stay in the house that way, but somehow they always move. I tried to use ancestral once, but somehow that stopped my whole town getting pregnant. I was very relieved this didn't happen in my main save.

I also add some supernaturals myself, I actually started the main save without supernaturals and have to add them myself. I use NRAAS SP so that only 1 in 10 townies is a supernatural.

• zombie615zombie615 Posts: 10
    edited March 2014
    Well for anyone here that doesn't really care about having the pre-made sims an their houses in the town you could just go to edit town an wipe the entire map lol!

I suspect that would rid almost every lagging problem you have. Although you would have to go through an replace the rabbit holes with edit town which might be a bit hard for some.

Though if you just want the landscape of the town that is probably a viable option.
  • Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    edited March 2014
    Well I'm back with some good news for my game in IP. I started fresh again. I deleted every sim, all the houseboats and some of the houses. Then I moved a sim couple I am playing in. Obviously there is no lag whatsoever but I also discovered another bonus to doing this. My sims can finally have successful dives! They no longer pop up and reappear on the shore when trying to explore a cave. They can stay down there the proper amount of time and have a great time! Cave woohooing, and a couple shark attacks later they were still down there enjoying themselves! I am just so thrilled at finally being able to fully enjoy this Island Paradise, because it is truly a beautiful and fun place for my sims to live!

Edit with an update: the cave jump bug is kind of off and on with it being mostly on now. I'm not sure what has happened. Ah well it was nice while it lasted!
    edited March 2014
    @Kamb64 and Zombie615:

I would NOT delete townies.
    It's VERY BAD for your game:

Please read the post by Amjoye I've mentioned somewhere in this thread. It explains why, supported by a player who has been playtesting for EA: they told the testplayers not to delete townies that are put in the game by EA.

@Kamp64:
    How far are you into your game?
    Rynmar only deleted the Collins and ran into trouble in week 6.
    If that also happens in your game we could confirm something is going to happen to the Collins in that week and that indeed the game is giving commands to these pre-made sims. So if you'd let me know I would really appreciate that.

• Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    edited March 2014
    Deleting everyone who lives in IP at the start is the only way I can play without lags and freezing. It makes it better not worse. If I don't do this I will be unable to enjoy IP and it's too beautiful of a world for me to ignore.

Edit: the game re-generates more townies so I don't see what the problem is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top