March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

World request...Oz...world builder wanted

Updated 5/25

Hi :) I am hoping for a world builder who would like to build Oz. We have a lot of simmers who are interested in playing in this world and we have some lots and sims who need an Oz home.

(A huge thank you to RFLONG7 for taking this on initially, we are sad to see you give this project up but I do so appreciate all of the hard work and time you put into this already.)

If you are a world builder and this sounds like a fun project please read through the thread here, there are lots of suggestions and ideas to be found here.

Comments

• KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited May 2014
    Just wanted to bump this and see if any world builders would be interested in making The Land of Oz? There have been so many wonderful Wizard of Oz lots on the exchange It would be so nice to have a world with a yellow brick road. Does anyone know how to recolor roads?
  • PatandRoxannePatandRoxanne Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited May 2014
    The Land of Oz sounds fun!
    I remember downloading a world that had a road, but it was actually patterned terrian.
    If you want to recolour roads, you must make your own and add in the yellow brick texture.
  • juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    edited May 2014
    Hi PatandRoxanne, at the top of this forum there is a thread by auntielyds that has links to download all kind of textures for painting and edit roads, I think there is a yellow brick one.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/278761.page
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
    edited May 2014
    junceda wrote:
    Hi PatandRoxanne, at the top of this forum there is a thread by auntielyds that has links to download all kind of textures for painting and edit roads, I think there is a yellow brick one.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/278761.page

I did find the yellow brick roads that Auntielynds made but I am just having such a hard time using CAW. It may just be beyond the limitations of my laptop or perhaps my brain.
    I have such a new appreciation for world builders!

I guess Oz will have to wait. Or I will have to wait.
    I've seen where others have started it and not finished. :(
    edited May 2014
    I updated the original post, hoping some talented world builder will feel inspired :)
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    edited May 2014
    Hi :D

Are you planning on building the houses?

I don't see how this would fit on either a small or medium map if you want it to be surrounded by desert or mountains. :(
    edited May 2014
    Yes I would build some houses and also some lots from the exchange (for my own game).
    When I say surrounded I meant for the distant terrain if possible.
    I was trying to learn distant terrain and the tutorial I found said it only works for the large map, but even so I could get it to cooperate with me.

Right now I am playing in Midnight Hollow. I do not know what size map it is but I like this layout. The town itself is rather small but the way it goes off into different valleys lends itself well to Oz, Emerald City being in the center and then the various communities surrounding it.
    If it weren't so dark I would just delete all the buidings and houses and remake it to Oz. I would have to do it in game though since my CAW abilities are so lame.
    edited May 2014
    RFLONG... are you thinking of doing this? Your worlds are amazing that would be so great!
    If you do want to do it, just do whatever you want and whatever works best, I am sure it will be wonderful indeed. To me the most essential ingredient is the "yellow brick road". This is not just for me, I am sure many would enjoy it as well. As I mentioned there are lots for munchins and a beautiful Emerald City lot recently added on the exchange. I could ask the builders if they would like them added to the world.

Anyway, thanks for checking out my request!

edited May 2014
    I have looked at some pictures but I never read any of the books and only saw the movie when I was much younger. I remember I liked the flying monkeys but thought it was wrong that Dorothy got those shoes for killing someone. The story didn't connect with me so I really don't know much of the layout of the world at all... I did like the cowardly lion. :D

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2014
    If I remember correctly - Clayworld has a group of the 4 characters she made in her studio - the lion, the tin Man, the scare crow and Dorothy with Toto. She did a fabulous job. (Well I must have been mistaken - I just went and checked and the ones I was thinking of were not there - maybe it was someone else). Oh well.

I saw the original movie as a kid and all I did is scream through the whole thing as the witch just scared me so bad. I think my mother was thinking of disowning me about an hour into the movie. So that ended me being taken to Disney type movies. I also had nightmares about houses falling on me after that - as we used to get tornados down in Georgia, where I lived as a child. I did like the Munchkins and the Cowardly Lion - but the monkey's also tramatized me, as I had always loved monkeys until I saw what they did to the scare crow.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited May 2014
    LOL, you guys are funny!

It is amazing how scary that green witch was when we were kids (for those of us over say..45...

What really got me back into OZ was the Wicked book series by Gregory Macguire. Wicked, the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West is an excellent book but it is not written for children. He sort of takes the world created by L. Frank Baum and shows you the rest of the story. In His story The Wicked Witch is NOT a villain but thrust into a stereotype because of her unusual skin color.

I am reading the last book currently.

A Sim version would be good for story telling. The city would be in the center with rural villages and farmland surrounding it. The yellow brick road leads from munchkinland (a farming community) into the Emerald City and there is a dark forest in between.

I just really need to learn CAW cause I can see it in my minds eye.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2014
    Yes and don't forgetting the tulip fields where they all fell asleep right before they reached OZ - where Monkeys attack.....

I recently did enjoy the newest version over on HBO with the 3 pretty witches. Now the monkey in there I like. I want one. hehehe

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited May 2014
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Yes and don't forgetting the tulip fields where they all fell asleep right before they reached OZ - where Monkeys attack.....

I recently did enjoy the newest version over on HBO with the 3 pretty witches. Now the monkey in there I like. I want one. hehehe

Poppies, they were poppies. I'd love to see the old scary one again.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited May 2014
    If you can tell me how many lots and what sizes for the two towns- I should be able to make it with the river around EC, the mountains around the world, two forests, a few huge fields, and a yellow brick path ...

edited May 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:
    If you can tell me how many lots and what sizes for the two towns- I should be able to make it with the river around EC, the mountains around the world, two forests, a few huge fields, and a yellow brick path ...

:D:D:D

I'm so excited! (What a wonderful surprise for mothers day!!)

I have a question...is it better to have the houses and venues pre-built so you can place them in the world in CAW or should I wait till the world is done and then place them myself?

MolliesDollies has a beautiful Emerald City lot that she has said we can use in the world but she also said she would like to build several different lots that would make up the city and do the castle separately. The lot she has now is on a 64x64 lot.
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8189690
    Not being a world builder I do not really know how many lots are necessary but I will probably use rabbit hole rugs rather than the in game rabbit holes, since all the buildings in the EC should be green. So if you put in a variety of empty lots I will build them to suit.
    As for munchkinland I would say a cluster of smaller lots, 10x10 to 20x20 to build their houses on and a 50x50 lot in the middle for the little town center.

If you would like to put a few small to medium sized lots along the road I'm sure they will also be useful for farm houses or woodland cottages.

Then if you can also put medium to large size lots in the north, east, west and south in or near the mountains we can build the witches castles. The east and west area should be colored more dark and creepy and the northern area can be more lush.
    I don't really know if there was a witch of the south and what she was like so you can do that however you like.
    I hope this isn't too much...I just want to give you ideas. I am sure whatever you imagine will be wonderful so be as creative as you like or as plain as you like and we can fill it out with builds.

It would be wonderful to have a poppy field outside of the entrance to the emerald city.

El-MAgo-de-Oz-Wizard-of-Oz_Frikarte1.jpg
    Wizard-of-Oz-Caps-the-wizard-of-oz-1738615-720-536.jpg
    edited May 2014
    Writin_Reg wrote:

Oh yes, those were poppies...poppies are an opiate.

I think we got poppies with Aurora Skies...

RFLONG if you don't have Aurora Skies I will buy it for you so you can put the poppies in. Is AS giftable?
    I am going to want to gift you something for doing this!
    edited May 2014
    Thanks~ I do have the world. :mrgreen:

While I do see that road and the poppy fields... I will say I see the distant mountains just a little differently. Although I can make mountains like that.... Hmm- different sides of the map? <- just thinking on paper. :lol:

I do know there's no way I can build that city or anything like it. So, tell me how to layout the Emerald City and I can do the smaller town. :)

*That's a very sweet offer but we won't worry about it. We'll have fun and see if I can do it first. :mrgreen:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited May 2014
    I am giddy with excitment..I probably won't be able to sleep tonight.

I am going to start building some little munchkin houses now....and maybe a town center.

edited May 2014
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    Rflong7 wrote:

So this would be an empty world? I would love to see it. I can't have all EPs installed on my laptop so I miss out on most of the custom worlds (OK all of them, lol). I would to find an empty world that was medium sized and didn't require any expansions because its empty. I can build on it myself.

I think that this OZ world sounds interesting.

This is a good question. An empty world would be fine with me but not being a world builder I do not know if that is the best way to go about it? I don't know if it is better to add lots while in CAW for routing purposes.
    I am planning on building lots either while it is being built or after it is done. I'm going to do what I am told :)
    I am planning on using items from the store as well as the expansion packs to make the world the way I envision it once it is done.
    I also have the mod for corn so I am excited to make a lot with the corn feild where Dorothy meets the scarecrow.
    And then of course the poppies from AS and I think I will also do a lot with the ITF utopian flowers.
    I will upload the lots so anyone can use them as they like and as they are able. I have all the EP's and most of the build items from the store but I realize many don't.
    I do think that as the store is coming to an end there will be lots of opporunities to get things cheaply.
    I'm not planning on moving to TS4 anytime soon, since I have only been playing Sims 1 year. So I'm super excited to see this dream become a reality!!
  • Jazz-Hands-OKJazz-Hands-OK Posts: 144 Member
    edited May 2014
    Not sure if this will be of any use, but worth a mention.

wicked_map_whole_small.jpg

This map gives you some topographic details to base an Oz world upon.
    edited May 2014
    Not sure if this will be of any use, but worth a mention.

wicked_map_whole_small.jpg

This map gives you some topographic details to base an Oz world upon.

Thank you Jazz Hands, I love that :)

I will be happy with even half that map with only the EC and Munchkinland but having that whole map would make a lot of Oz fans very happy I am sure.
    edited May 2014

I have made a couple of lots but they are really just mock-ups for now. I built them in lucky palms so I used terrain paints for the grass. Once we are ready to place them in the world I will remove those grassy terrain paints so they will match the ground cover you choose for the world RFLONG7

This first lot is a little forest/apple orchard. Dorothy stops here to eat some apples during her journey from munchkinland to the Emerald City.

It has some apple trees, common seed spawners 1 and 2 a few vegatable plants and the outhouse from movie stuff.
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8217222

edited May 2014

This is the lot where Dorothy meets the tin man along the yellow brick road. I may change out the grassy hut for a house and make it a residential lot later.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8217226
    edited May 2014
    Hi :D

Awesome! :D

You know you're going to have to be pointing out to me what the world should look like... as in from one area to the next. The map will help and it's wonderful but ... if I start going the wrong way you'll have to tell me. :lol:
  • MolliesDolliesMolliesDollies Posts: 525 Member
    edited May 2014
    Hopefully I can get started on separating out my castle this weekend! My computer crashed and had to be rebuilt this week, but its rolling now. This sounds like an exciting project! Unfortuantely, I haven't read the books, just watched a number of different movies... so I don't know if what I create will be canon or not. But from what I read on wikipedia, Baum never stood for canon himself, often changing things to fit the story he was telling.

Regardless, thank you Rflong for offering to create the world! And thank you Karilyn, for starting this thread!

PS Karilyn, I left you a new message on your profile page.
    Now a proud member of the Own the Store Club!!!