July 16 - The Sims 4 players, it's patch day! Check what's new for PC/Mac here and for console here.
July 16 - We will be performing a maintenance on The Sims 3 servers today. Details here.
July 12 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!

Backing up store content

«1
I am not very confident touching game files since I tend to make my game have a heart attack when I do, but with the sims 4 coming out this year I have a question.

All my sims 3 expansions and stuff packs are 'downloaded' onto my external hard-drive and back-up drive already so I can install them again at any point over the next few years, just wanting to know if it would work to have my downloaded store content there too so I don't lose it when this site gets taken down after sims 4 release like I did with my the sims 2 store stuff, and how to go about it if it is possible.

I know this is way ahead of time, I like to be prepared for the worst and am very forgetful. If anyone has an answer for this I'd be very grateful. I've spent a lot of money on store sets, worlds and venues and would hate to lose them in a year's time.

Comments

  • rumbutterrumbutter Posts: 3,746 Member
    edited January 2014
    in your the electronicsarts/thesims3 there is a folder named downloads that is all your purchased items downloads worlds,sets etc files you can make a copy of that folder to back up the store items then if you ever have to uninstall and reinstall your games you can just use that backed up items folder to install the store stuff with out the headache of downloading from the purchase history also any time you get another purchase again back up the folder just to keep track of your new items
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,017 Member
    edited January 2014
    :D I don't think that it is too soon. I would love to copy mine on a disc or thumb drive, but not sure where to start, so if anyone answering would also enlighten me about this in simple terms, it would be much appreciated. Thanks. :D

    Posted at same time as the one above me. So, I'm guessing just copy that folder to disc or thumbdrive and just add back to the computer in the same file it was taken out of if I ever redo my game? thanks.
  • rumbutterrumbutter Posts: 3,746 Member
    edited January 2014
    :)

    i have mine on two thumb drives and an external portable hardrive
  • tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited January 2014
    I have mine backed up in Dropbox since I have this uncanny ability to lose a thumb drive as soon as I've stored anything on it.
  • LaellaLaella Posts: 519 Member
    edited January 2014
    tamalinn wrote:
    I have mine backed up in Dropbox since I have this uncanny ability to lose a thumb drive as soon as I've stored anything on it.

    I have this problem with thumb drives too :D , I feel it is harder to lose 2 decent sized, heavy external hard-drives.
    rumbutter wrote:
    in your the electronicsarts/thesims3 there is a folder named downloads that is all your purchased items downloads worlds,sets etc files you can make a copy of that folder to back up the store items then if you ever have to uninstall and reinstall your games you can just use that backed up items folder to install the store stuff with out the headache of downloading from the purchase history also any time you get another purchase again back up the folder just to keep track of your new items

    Thank you very much :)
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 83,967 Member
    edited January 2014
    Dcc backup is where your store stuff is. That's the folder you want toback up.

  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited January 2014
    I think it's much better to back up your Sims3Pack files so you can reinstall them.

    DCCache and DCBackup both contain your Store content.
    DCBackup is actually useless as a backup, though, because it contains the items in Package file format without the proper names. I think the items might work in a Mods folder, but you certainly can't just put DCBackup in a new game and expect it to be read properly.
    The content the game uses is DCCache, but that consists of merged files, again without proper names. If you back up DCCache, you also need to back up the ccmerged.package file from DCBackup to make premium content work.
    All in all it is less complicated to just back up the Sims3Pack files.

    My Store content is in a separate folder, with sub-folders for sets, individual items, compilations, bonus items, promotional items, etc. I have a backup of that folder on an external HD. I'm actually thinking of storing it in the cloud somewhere for my own use.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,681 Member
    edited January 2014
    I have a tumb nail drive and I have all my items from the store on there. I have used it several times and it works fine. Just simply copy from your downloads folder and it will go right in. I never loose my tumb nail drive because I keep it in my desk drawer.
  • tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited January 2014
    KarinL wrote:
    I think it's much better to back up your Sims3Pack files so you can reinstall them.

    DCCache and DCBackup both contain your Store content.
    DCBackup is actually useless as a backup, though, because it contains the items in Package file format without the proper names. I think the items might work in a Mods folder, but you certainly can't just put DCBackup in a new game and expect it to be read properly.
    The content the game uses is DCCache, but that consists of merged files, again without proper names. If you back up DCCache, you also need to back up the ccmerged.package file from DCBackup to make premium content work.
    All in all it is less complicated to just back up the Sims3Pack files.

    My Store content is in a separate folder, with sub-folders for sets, individual items, compilations, bonus items, promotional items, etc. I have a backup of that folder on an external HD. I'm actually thinking of storing it in the cloud somewhere for my own use.

    This. I took my .sims3pack files from my Downloads folder after I installed them, organized them by set/item/world/etc., separated them into folders and organized them in large part by the date I downloaded them. This is because I use a cloud service for backup, so I compress my files first.
  • Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited January 2014
    I'm using too for backup Sims3Packs on secondary drive in one folder dedicated exclusivelly at Store Downloads.
    Each Sims3Pack has own folder and this folder shows store thumbnail on the top. Inside of this folder I have compressed Sims3Pack, screenshots of his store page and various Store thumbnails, link at related Sims3Pack on Store pages, folder contains too the same Sims3Pack converted in packages (because those I'm using mostly in my game) in original form. (Modified packages with vertical shifting applied, unlocked stencils, catalog unhidders and repaired wallmasks for windows - with related merged packages - I have on 16 GB USB drive - this goes directly in game folder).
    My Store Downlads folder contains too one folder with screenshots of my PH and *.txt file with all purchased items. Each store purchase has number (now is final number 886 and it includes dupplicates-quaddrupplicates created by CYS and 21 Store badges) and download link - usefull for not more purchaseable items (oldies, LE registration sets, SP rewards and sharing-memory-achievements) - then number of this purchase helps me too locate related Sims3Pack in purchase history.
    Now I've looked at this folder, how is this folder big... it is near of 35 GB only for Store (but I have there really many images + thumbnail for each extracted package) :oops:
    This is only for inspiration, but I think too, Sims3Packs are for backup the best. :wink:
    As some store items aren't working correctly - if some store Sims3pack will be directly repaired (not with Store patch) - we need sometimes redo DCCache (as happened with Greenhouse), because launcher won't uninstall sometimes some items - here is Sims3Pack needed.
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,017 Member
    edited March 2014
    :D Sometimes, I like to download non-cc builds or no cc sims ect. Which file are these in? Thanks.
  • duyguugudurduyguugudur Posts: 2,684 Member
    edited March 2014
    Can i ask something silly?

    Is "Sims3Pack" files you mentioned are only for saved games and worlds or does the store items are "Sims3Pack" files?

    If it is then can i find all "Sims3Pack" files(world,save game,Store Content) at DCCache ? :oops:

    And how do you clasify ur store back-up files ? Can you simly understand which one is one? same names at they are in store?

    It is hard for me to understand,soo the safest and easiest way is copy ur DCCache items in dvd or external ...etc?

    Thank you for the help and inconveniences i had caused :oops:
  • amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,471 Member
    edited March 2014
    Can i ask something silly?

    Is "Sims3Pack" files you mentioned are only for saved games and worlds or does the store items are "Sims3Pack" files?

    If it is then can i find all "Sims3Pack" files(world,save game,Store Content) at DCCache ? :oops:

    And how do you clasify ur store back-up files ? Can you simly understand which one is one? same names at they are in store?

    It is hard for me to understand,soo the safest and easiest way is copy ur DCCache items in dvd or external ...etc?

    Thank you for the help and inconveniences i had caused :oops:


    Not everything is in the DCCache and DCBackup folders. If that is all you copy, you will be missing worlds, which are in InstalledWorlds and WorldCache. You will be missing venues and some sims, which are in the Library and also SavedSims. You will be missing some lots, which are in Library and/or InstalledWorlds and/or WorldCache. You will not have your saved worlds, which are in Saves and contain all your recolored objects.

    You also need the store content patches, for store items to work properly. And you really do need everything found in Downloads.

    So, please, just do yourself a huge favor, and simply save your entire The Sims 3 folder found in Electronic Arts/Documents.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 24,050 Member
    edited March 2014
    tamalinn wrote:
    KarinL wrote:
    I think it's much better to back up your Sims3Pack files so you can reinstall them.

    DCCache and DCBackup both contain your Store content.
    DCBackup is actually useless as a backup, though, because it contains the items in Package file format without the proper names. I think the items might work in a Mods folder, but you certainly can't just put DCBackup in a new game and expect it to be read properly.
    The content the game uses is DCCache, but that consists of merged files, again without proper names. If you back up DCCache, you also need to back up the ccmerged.package file from DCBackup to make premium content work.
    All in all it is less complicated to just back up the Sims3Pack files.

    My Store content is in a separate folder, with sub-folders for sets, individual items, compilations, bonus items, promotional items, etc. I have a backup of that folder on an external HD. I'm actually thinking of storing it in the cloud somewhere for my own use.

    This. I took my .sims3pack files from my Downloads folder after I installed them, organized them by set/item/world/etc., separated them into folders and organized them in large part by the date I downloaded them. This is because I use a cloud service for backup, so I compress my files first.

    Mine aren't as organized but I do have my downloads in a separate folder on another part of my computer; I need to get a flash drive so I have a place to store them (I've also been putting some of my favorite Exchange downloads in there as well, such as lots). My optical drive is broken so I can't put them on disk -- good thing I use the DDs from Origin for playing my game! But now I wonder if there's a way I can back up the digital downloads if I ever need to reinstall and the game goes bye-bye. Considering how much I have invested in this game (time and money :shock: ) I'd hate to lose anything.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 19,577 Member
    edited March 2014
    You should definitely keep a copy of all of the downloads and patches.

    Relying on DCCache, DCBackup, ccmerged might work until any one of them become corrupt or you need to move anything to a new computer. Then you will have nothing but trouble.

    You may be happy with just your Base Game, Expansion Pack and Stuff pack files - if you have backed up the game patches. If you want to still have your store content you will have to keep all of the Purchase History files and Store Patches too.
  • AldermanTomAldermanTom Posts: 499 Member
    edited March 2014
    I have bought all my Sims games and stuff packs from Origin. What can I back up to preserver them? Sorry if this was mentioned earlier but all I say was Store stuff.
  • duyguugudurduyguugudur Posts: 2,684 Member
    edited March 2014
    amjoie wrote:
    Can i ask something silly?

    Is "Sims3Pack" files you mentioned are only for saved games and worlds or does the store items are "Sims3Pack" files?

    If it is then can i find all "Sims3Pack" files(world,save game,Store Content) at DCCache ? :oops:

    And how do you clasify ur store back-up files ? Can you simly understand which one is one? same names at they are in store?

    It is hard for me to understand,soo the safest and easiest way is copy ur DCCache items in dvd or external ...etc?

    Thank you for the help and inconveniences i had caused :oops:


    Not everything is in the DCCache and DCBackup folders. If that is all you copy, you will be missing worlds, which are in InstalledWorlds and WorldCache. You will be missing venues and some sims, which are in the Library and also SavedSims. You will be missing some lots, which are in Library and/or InstalledWorlds and/or WorldCache. You will not have your saved worlds, which are in Saves and contain all your recolored objects.

    You also need the store content patches, for store items to work properly. And you really do need everything found in Downloads.

    So, please, just do yourself a huge favor, and simply save your entire The Sims 3 folder found in Electronic Arts/Documents.

    Thank you for the info. Another question, i keep hearing that cleaning DCCache and DCBackup to get rid of useless(?) files there? what are those? If i save my entire "sims 3" folder, i will also save those unnecessary parts too right? I really donot want that as it will take kots of space :/ What can you offer ? Plus i didn't know you can see content patch in download folder... :-o
  • amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,471 Member
    edited March 2014
    amjoie wrote:
    Can i ask something silly?

    Is "Sims3Pack" files you mentioned are only for saved games and worlds or does the store items are "Sims3Pack" files?

    If it is then can i find all "Sims3Pack" files(world,save game,Store Content) at DCCache ? :oops:

    And how do you clasify ur store back-up files ? Can you simly understand which one is one? same names at they are in store?

    It is hard for me to understand,soo the safest and easiest way is copy ur DCCache items in dvd or external ...etc?

    Thank you for the help and inconveniences i had caused :oops:


    Not everything is in the DCCache and DCBackup folders. If that is all you copy, you will be missing worlds, which are in InstalledWorlds and WorldCache. You will be missing venues and some sims, which are in the Library and also SavedSims. You will be missing some lots, which are in Library and/or InstalledWorlds and/or WorldCache. You will not have your saved worlds, which are in Saves and contain all your recolored objects.

    You also need the store content patches, for store items to work properly. And you really do need everything found in Downloads.

    So, please, just do yourself a huge favor, and simply save your entire The Sims 3 folder found in Electronic Arts/Documents.

    Thank you for the info. Another question, i keep hearing that cleaning DCCache and DCBackup to get rid of useless(?) files there? what are those? If i save my entire "sims 3" folder, i will also save those unnecessary parts too right? I really donot want that as it will take kots of space :/ What can you offer ? Plus i didn't know you can see content patch in download folder... :-o

    I don't try to clean out the DCCache or DCBackup. It is too easy to throw away the wrong thing and mess up the game. But I do have my first unplayed copy of the DCCache and DCBackup with all my store stuff installed, and I swap that out every once in a while so it is "fresh."

    However, to be able to do that, you have to keep the first unplayed copy of the DCCache and DCBackup up to date with any new store purchases, and some people feel that is too complicated a way to manage the game. So, they would rather just reinstall all their store stuff into an empty DCCache and DCBackup every three or four months. You have to do what works for you.

    The content patch is in The Sims 3 folder in Electronic Arts/Documents (not inside Downloads). It's toward the top.
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,166 Member
    edited March 2014
    Karritz wrote:
    You should definitely keep a copy of all of the downloads and patches.

    Relying on DCCache, DCBackup, ccmerged might work until any one of them become corrupt or you need to move anything to a new computer. Then you will have nothing but trouble.

    You may be happy with just your Base Game, Expansion Pack and Stuff pack files - if you have backed up the game patches. If you want to still have your store content you will have to keep all of the Purchase History files and Store Patches too.


    how do you back up a patch?
    N7vSQVW.png
    click siggy to take part.

    old my-page here you find my uploades and about me
    but please no friend requests,

  • amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,471 Member
    edited March 2014
    anettesb wrote:
    Karritz wrote:
    You should definitely keep a copy of all of the downloads and patches.

    Relying on DCCache, DCBackup, ccmerged might work until any one of them become corrupt or you need to move anything to a new computer. Then you will have nothing but trouble.

    You may be happy with just your Base Game, Expansion Pack and Stuff pack files - if you have backed up the game patches. If you want to still have your store content you will have to keep all of the Purchase History files and Store Patches too.


    how do you back up a patch?

    For PC:

    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page

    For Mac:

    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/549552.page

  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 83,967 Member
    edited March 2014
    I've been told to back up the Sims 3 folder then you have everything. I will be doing this soon. In the case of sims I d say upload them to the exchange in case something goes wrong when you have to move the stuff in your backed up sims 3 folder to the new one.

  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,166 Member
    edited March 2014
    amjoie wrote:
    anettesb wrote:
    Karritz wrote:
    You should definitely keep a copy of all of the downloads and patches.

    Relying on DCCache, DCBackup, ccmerged might work until any one of them become corrupt or you need to move anything to a new computer. Then you will have nothing but trouble.

    You may be happy with just your Base Game, Expansion Pack and Stuff pack files - if you have backed up the game patches. If you want to still have your store content you will have to keep all of the Purchase History files and Store Patches too.


    how do you back up a patch?

    For PC:

    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page

    For Mac:

    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/549552.page

    I might be reading it wrong... but isn't he just telling diffrent way to patch?

    if not I need a "translation" how do you back up a patch?
    N7vSQVW.png
    click siggy to take part.

    old my-page here you find my uploades and about me
    but please no friend requests,

  • Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited March 2014
    anettesb wrote:
    how do you back up a patch?

    Hi, anettesb! I'm making this too: I have one folder on mechanical drive with older Superpatchers (compressed in *.rar format) token from this thread http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page or SimsVip, when released. I have folder for 1.34, 1.55, 1.66, usw. (not using incremental patches).
    If something is going wrong, I'll just uninstall (with cleaning registry with free tool "CCleaner") just base game, for to get rid of disliked patch. Then after rebooting PC and defragmentation, I'll install just a base game and patch from backups on my mechanical drive at my choice. I have made this many times and it has still worked.
    Store patch is in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ContentPatch. Backup whole Content patch is too on my mechanical drive (my SSD, where are my programs installed, is small).
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 19,577 Member
    edited March 2014
    anettesb wrote:
    amjoie wrote:
    anettesb wrote:
    Karritz wrote:
    You should definitely keep a copy of all of the downloads and patches.

    Relying on DCCache, DCBackup, ccmerged might work until any one of them become corrupt or you need to move anything to a new computer. Then you will have nothing but trouble.

    You may be happy with just your Base Game, Expansion Pack and Stuff pack files - if you have backed up the game patches. If you want to still have your store content you will have to keep all of the Purchase History files and Store Patches too.


    how do you back up a patch?

    For PC:

    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page

    For Mac:

    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/549552.page

    I might be reading it wrong... but isn't he just telling diffrent way to patch?

    if not I need a "translation" how do you back up a patch?

    Those links look like links to the two super patches. You need to download both off them and keep them with your other Sims 3 files. If you ever need to reinstall your games you will need to use the super patch to be able to play. And you should get both of them just in case you ever decide to buy a different type of computer.

    The store patches are in a folder named Content Patch. It is in your Sims 3 folder.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 19,577 Member
    edited March 2014
    I've been told to back up the Sims 3 folder then you have everything. I will be doing this soon. In the case of sims I d say upload them to the exchange in case something goes wrong when you have to move the stuff in your backed up sims 3 folder to the new one.

    You need the super patch files too. Or you won't be able to patch your game if you ever put it on a new computer.

    If you have any digital download games you will need the installer files.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top