Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA, go big or go home.

Roaring Heights is a disappointment to me. They promised us a city world, but this is not a city. This is a village with tall buildings. Either give us a Floridian village with an art deco theme, or give us a big city with an art deco theme such as what Bridgeport gave us. Sorry, I'm not a fan of this world, and I'll only buy it if somebody uses all of the objects from the world to create a bigger version of the world that is actually a city.

Comments

• Options
    HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited December 2013
    I am still hoping for a full city world.

RH is lovely I love Art Deco, but I haven't gotten the world yet debating on waiting till after Christmas.
  • Options
    HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited December 2013
    I'd like to add even non-sky scrapper city worlds, I love MV city top if it was full city on one side of the map and villas on the other it be perfect IMO.

I hope we get it cause honestly 2-4 out of city big lots for mansions it really only needed the rest can be in the city including parks.
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited December 2013
    I think this city is a great alternative to Bridgeport. It's not too big and has some of the high rises. Considering the time period, it makes sense that it wouldn't be all skyscrapers. It reminds me of Santa Monica with the beach and city center. I think they did a very good job with the limitations of making it base game compatible.

Of course, you can't please everyone...
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited December 2013
    So far I'm very happy with RH and the back stories of the townies have been keeping me entertained and interested......which is no small feat.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited December 2013
    I haven't had a chance to play it yet; so far I have just looked around and edited or added lots I wanted included in the world when I do play. But so far I have been very impressed with the art deco buildings and think the Team did a fantastic job on them. The buildings along the beach are especially stunning.

IMO, I doubt if the Store team has the budget or expertise to fix the Late Night high rise functionality. It's always been problematic and has caused lots of issues in worlds that I play where they're present. Also, I'm not sure you can set a world as a city if you're not using LN, can you? EA can do whatever they choose to, of course, and add all that even though it's not compatible with the BG, but with TS4 coming out I suspect there is a limit to how big a budget they're willing to spend on TS3. Personally I would be thrilled if they just worked on a patch to fix the multitude of issues that still exist but I'm afraid to count on that too much because I don't want to feel completely disappointed. At least not yet. :P

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    YorkieGirl4YorkieGirl4 Posts: 361 Member
    edited December 2013
    I read somewhere that the coding required to designate a world as a city world (taxi spawning, different work hours, the special city icon) is actually part of the Late Night coding, so they can't release a Store city world. Store stuff can't be attached to any EP, so no actual city coding. :(

Roaring Heights seems like a fairly decent compromise. The skyscraper toppers actually do help make regular buildings seem more city-like. I mean, the art deco style is definitely only for those who like that sort of thing, but overall the layout is amazing! This world actually has different areas rather than just the city area. It would potentially be a great remodel if someone felt like modernizing it.
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited December 2013
    I think there would be issues having it as a city because of the need for store worlds to be base game compatible. Still, it is a disappointment.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    FormelxFormelx Posts: 578 New Member
    edited December 2013
    Roaring Hights after Monte Vista and Isla Paradisio is my favorite world. It's like morden day Santa Monica in my home state of California in my personal view.I like the colors, the vibe of the city and all that carzy things,you know sim stuff.

The only thing I don't like is how small the spaceing is,it feels like my apartment in the 13th floor.I know I usualy complain about the price like I did to Monte Vista and Dargoon Valley,but for once I have to Agree the price of real cash digital world download. It's worth it for a small city,well sort of a city.

Here is my parise " Go Roaring Hights."
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited December 2013
    I read somewhere that the coding required to designate a world as a city world (taxi spawning, different work hours, the special city icon) is actually part of the Late Night coding, so they can't release a Store city world. Store stuff can't be attached to any EP, so no actual city coding. :(

Roaring Heights seems like a fairly decent compromise. The skyscraper toppers actually do help make regular buildings seem more city-like. I mean, the art deco style is definitely only for those who like that sort of thing, but overall the layout is amazing! This world actually has different areas rather than just the city area. It would potentially be a great remodel if someone felt like modernizing it.

This pretty much.

Until they add the coding of the Late Night features into a Base Game Patch, we won't see any "true" city-like gameplay released via the store.

Just keep your hopes up if they consider doing it. Until then, you'll get a "town" that looks like a city for future worlds.
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    edited December 2013
    I'm a bit surprised that so many simmers dislike Roaring Heights...
    Personally, I love it and have really enjoyed playing around the world and the venue throughly. I finally found a use for some of the vintage themed items from the Fast Lane SP and the Sims Store. :)
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited December 2013
    Jase wrote:
    Personally, I love it and have really enjoyed playing around the world and the venue throughly. I finally found a use for some of the vintage themed items from the Fast Lane SP and the Sims Store. :)

I think most of us who love it, are too busy playing it to complain. :wink:
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited December 2013
    Jase wrote:

I agree! This is maybe my third post since Thursday :lol:
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited December 2013
    Jase wrote:

Or, too busy creating builds for it! :lol: I have only opened it to take a look at it and the boardwalk venue. I went right into build mode and started to create a high-rise luxury penthouse. Almost done, hopefully in the next day or so. However what I have seen and the build/buy items are awesome!
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited December 2013
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can't wait to see what you've done Tiki! I basically spent all my time moving skyscrapers around in my city! :lol: I've got a lot to keep me busy! I found RH itself pretty straightforward to update, just adding in stuff like the barista bar, professional bars and bistro oven. Then I had a couple of lots made by the community, especially Dragon123561 which took care of the fire station, stylist and resort. So it's pretty much ready to play already! But I just want to make use of all the bits and bobs in my world!!! :lol:

Back on topic, to what the OP said. My only complaint would be that there isn't much room to spread the city area out. I would have liked to add more highrises. But it's only a slight bother, I don't mind it being small because it kind-of makes sense that it's this new, emerging city! It suits the style of the world (and it is such a pretty world!). So I'm keeping RH pretty much as it is.

However, the new rabbitholes and highrise 'tops' are an absolute guru-send! They will be so so so useful in updating other worlds, and making more varied user-created cities!!! An issue I had with my own city was that I didn't have enough variety in the existing buildings, and it was starting to look quite samey-samey. I had already had 3 of the prosper-room shells and 2 of the plasma room shells... I needed new landmarks! And now I have them! *happy dancing*
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited December 2013
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can't wait to see what you've done Tiki! I basically spent all my time moving skyscrapers around in my city! :lol: I've got a lot to keep me busy! I found RH itself pretty straightforward to update, just adding in stuff like the barista bar, professional bars and bistro oven. Then I had a couple of lots made by the community, especially Dragon123561 which took care of the fire station, stylist and resort. So it's pretty much ready to play already! But I just want to make use of all the bits and bobs in my world!!! :lol:

Back on topic, to what the OP said. My only complaint would be that there isn't much room to spread the city area out. I would have liked to add more highrises. But it's only a slight bother, I don't mind it being small because it kind-of makes sense that it's this new, emerging city! It suits the style of the world (and it is such a pretty world!). So I'm keeping RH pretty much as it is.

However, the new rabbitholes and highrise 'tops' are an absolute guru-send! They will be so so so useful in updating other worlds, and making more varied user-created cities!!! An issue I had with my own city was that I didn't have enough variety in the existing buildings, and it was starting to look quite samey-samey. I had already had 3 of the prosper-room shells and 2 of the plasma room shells... I needed new landmarks! And now I have them! *happy dancing*

I hope you like it when it's done! I am going for an upscale "ritzy" look using one of the Late Night shells. I also noticed that the city area is hard to expand on, and wish they would have left some empty lots.
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872