Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Apocalypse Challenge! Adapted for The Sims 3!

Comments

• sgbdsgbd Posts: 3,692
    edited August 2012
    If anybody's paying any attention...

Does it count as preparing a meal if your Sim eats something like soup or ice cream?
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    edited August 2012
    Unfortunatley, that does count as their one meal per day. They don't get snacks. :? This is easy (if you can call anything easy) to manage when you are just starting out and have only one sim on the lot.

This rule seems open to interpretation: "Sims may only prepare group meals if there are more than 1 sim living on the lot. One group meal OR one quick meal per sim day." Turning the fridge sideways so they can't get into it really helps manage this restriction but it does get tedious turning it around and back all the time. The way I have applied this rule is if one sim slips up while I am not looking and has a 'quick' meal out of the fridge before the group meal for the day is prepared, then I only allow the others to have a quick meal on that day. It wouldn't be fair to have one sim have a quick meal and then another prepare a group meal as they are using more food than the alloted daily meal per sim. Also, it wouldn't seem fair for only one Sim to be able to eat since the quick meal isn't as filling as a group meal and is only a single serving so they haven't used their allotted daily food allowance. I feel I am within the intent of the game, but might be breaking this rule. I think I am doing it right - at least I hope so because that is what I have been doing.

Also, to keep them from being too hungry, once they get a job, I try to send them to work hungry because they will usually eat at work and then they can eat again when they get home so they don't go to bed hungry. Even if their mood is down - as soon as they eat it goes up. If they eat before they go to work, then they are hungry the rest of the night because they won't eat at work and will come home hungry. And that makes for a very unhappy sim.

If I am mis-applying this rule, someone let me know! :-o
    edited August 2012
    I am so excited! The next chapter is up. I still need to tweak it a little, but just so it reads better. A little long - 60 pages! But a lot going on.

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=419034

Hope anyone that reads it enjoys. At least I am having fun. My goal is to finish before SN comes out. Don't know if I will make it at this rate....

Audrey.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited August 2012
    AudreyFld wrote:
    Finally, the first chapter of my challenge after the umpteenth time starting over. Hopefully this will be the last time and I can get past two generations. But I have been snapping pictures and since I don't have a blog, posted my first chapter on the exchange. Here is the link for those that want to check it out. Let me know if it doesn't work.

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=408710

Heading out on a much needed **** for a week, so won't be posting the next chapter for a couple of weeks.

I like your story, but can you tell me how do you do this. what I mean is how do you get it on the sim3/contentsdetail
    How do you put your story on that.
    I don't see anywhere how to do it. Is there a link of how to tell your story on the Sims 3
    edited August 2012
    Hi Evalen:

Here is a link to how to do it:

https://help.ea.com/article/creating-a-story

Sorry for responding late, I have been on vacation.

You have to upload the pictures you took before you can create your story, but you probably know that. Once uploaded, you will then find them under My Studio on your page. I usually crop and correct colors on mine before I upload them to try and make a better picture for the story. You can find the screenshots you took in the Screenshots folder found in The Sims 3 folder on your computer if you want to edit them before uploading. Once you create and publish your story, you will be able to view it and you will then have the link to share. I would love to read it when you are done.

Audey
    edited August 2012
    The next chapter is ready. This one is much shorter than the last one. They are easier to manage if you don't make them too long. I don't think I will finish this challenge before SN comes out. No way no how. Probably not even before Seasons - especially writing stories. Oh well. I like going back and reading them. I have to in order to remember who did what. So the fourth generation is born in this one.

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=421281

Audrey.
  • UnrequitedPonineUnrequitedPonine Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    Ooh, this challenge looks fun, I'll definitely try it :) Also, I was wondering if, in the beginning of the challenge, we could have a bookshelf?
    edited August 2012
    Hi UnrequitedPonine

Well, I am enjoying it! :mrgreen: And yes, you can have a bookshelf in the beginning. In fact it is a must. You need to buy a few books and you can only buy them on the very first day. You aren't allowed to buy more books until the restriction(s) governing that action are cleared. My advice is to buy the bookshelf that only takes up one square so you can move it as your little house grows in case you haven't cleared Athletics yet. I know the instructions are very long and you have to read them over and over and still miss things. I printed them out from the wiki site that Mikitta created and constantly refer back to them. Here is that link:

http://s3ac.wikia.com/wiki/The_Apocalypse_Challenge

Mikitta has updated through all EPs including ST. She has included alternate rules so if you don't have all the EPs then you still have a similar challenge.

Have fun!

Audrey
    edited August 2012
    Chapter 9 is up! I am amazed that each one is different and this one was as hard as it was to do...our couple had a baby before starting a career instead of after. Interesting how it worked out. I was afraid the pairing wouldn't work, but they were a good match for some reason. And thank goodness we cleared culinary in this episode. I was done with flipping the refrigerator everyday! :lol: Now I just have to keep them from making Autumn Salad.

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=422367

One thing that is weird is my sims are pretty - at least I think they are which is good since I have to look at them until we get stylist. I expected to have some really ugly ones by now. But they look eerily similar. I am not sure why.

Later!
  • GinjGinj Posts: 126 Member
    edited August 2012
    Well I'm not a very good writer but I wanted to at least post this if anyone wanted to read it.

http://porterapocalypsechallenge.wordpress.com/

I'm enjoying your story and loving the occasional phrase en francais. Please keep it up
    edited August 2012
    ceeluvscouture

I loved this one as well including the French! I like the way it is written as a letters back home. More please!

Audrey
  • goldengurl2011goldengurl2011 Posts: 26 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Can you go to city hall to register as self employed?
    edited August 2012
    Hi Goldengurl

Here is what is required to clear before you can register as self-employeed:

"All Self Employment Careers will require clearing Military and Life of Crime - Master Thief before they are available to your sims"

So yes, once you clear the pre-requisites you can then go register as self-employeed. Although right now I don't have my notes so don't remember if there are certain self-employment careers that also may require other jobs to be cleared first.

There are so many restrictions, I can't remember them in detail. But read the Wikiapedia pages that Mikkita put together and you will find out if there are any other requirements for the particular job you are trying to clear.

:D
  • UnrequitedPonineUnrequitedPonine Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    AudreyFld wrote:
    Hi UnrequitedPonine

Well, I am enjoying it! :mrgreen: And yes, you can have a bookshelf in the beginning. In fact it is a must. You need to buy a few books and you can only buy them on the very first day. You aren't allowed to buy more books until the restriction(s) governing that action are cleared. My advice is to buy the bookshelf that only takes up one square so you can move it as your little house grows in case you haven't cleared Athletics yet. I know the instructions are very long and you have to read them over and over and still miss things. I printed them out from the wiki site that Mikitta created and constantly refer back to them. Here is that link:

http://s3ac.wikia.com/wiki/The_Apocalypse_Challenge

Mikitta has updated through all EPs including ST. She has included alternate rules so if you don't have all the EPs then you still have a similar challenge.

Have fun!

Audrey

All right, thank you for clearing that up for me :)

Here is my best attempt at writing my sim's apocalypse story, if anyone would like to see it. http://survivingmyapocalypse.wordpress.com/
    edited September 2012
    UnrequitedPonine

That was a great introduction! I can't wait to read more. I hope others are reading it too! :mrgreen:
    edited September 2012
    Unrequited Ponine,

What she said! I'm enjoying your story as well. And AudreyFLD, I'd love to read what your family is up to these days.
    edited September 2012
    I will have the next chapter soon. Maybe even by the end of the day. We are working on Military and the DNA profiler. Military is HUGE! And it opens up so many other options. I can't wait to see what I can do once we can move about the town!

Audrey
    edited September 2012
    Military is indeed huge! Congratulations. It was the first one I cleared in the original game; DNA profiler was the penultimate. This was under the original rules. I'm deciding whether to play the new rules or not; I'm always looking for a challenge but I'm not sure about randomised clearing of restrictions and whether or not I want to do another apocalypse. It gives me hope to see you playing it, blogging it and not giving up in disgust. I'm currently playing DITFT - The Wicked Remix posted by xxcoaimhexx, but I'm five generations in with no pix so I'm looking for something to do a story with. Do you know of any good bloggable challenges besides Apocalypse?
    edited September 2012
    You are right about random job clearing. It doesn't allow you to be strategic about which ones to clear. Well, unless you happen to get journalism and master thief right away! I rolled journalism for the founders spouse. But STILL don't have master thief cleared and I am on the 4th generation! So still random clearing. But it does make it more challenging. I have done short challenges - bachelor and asylum, but this is the longest I have stuck with any legacy challenge. The stories really help to keep me going. I even go back and review them occasionally to refresh my memory. :D I will check out the one you mentioned. I am always looking for good well written challenges.
    edited September 2012
    Yay. The site is finally back up and working well. :-) My studio was down most of the day yesterday and this morning. It finally came back up and I got the story done. It is long...not sure why. I guess lots of stuff going on. But I didn't want to break it into to two. Anyway - here is the next installment. Cleared three things in this one! Athletic, Military and DNA Profiler. Yay for Military!

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=423653

Off to stalk the forums waiting to download SN.
  • paco1200paco1200 Posts: 8,648 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I remember seeing this 2 years ago and never seeing it again! :lol: well now I bookmarked it so I most definitely need to give this a try someday :D
    edited September 2012
    Audrey,

What a treat to find a new Majors chapter; thank you! Three in one; that is awesome! Congratulations!
    edited September 2012
    Paco,

Hope you do give it a try. Also hope you blog the results!
    edited September 2012
    Thanks Ginji! Looking forward to playing some more. The next heir was just born. Still an infant. We will see how he gets along. I am trying to download SN from Origin with no luck. So not playing. I wonder if Mikitta will update the rules to include SN? And with Seasons coming out in November, not much time to think through it.
    edited September 2012
    Congratulations on the new heir, Audrey, and good luck getting SN loaded up! How does it work for you playing expansion packs and legacy games? I stopped expanding after Generations because expansion packs + big legacy games + 2009 computer has gotten problematical. Apocalypse legacies aren't so bad because of all the restrictions, but an unrestricted legacy with a ginormous house, lots of stuff and travelling...Yeeesh! I hope a beefier computer would fix this; I've sort of promised myself a gaming laptop if I get my house cleaned up.