Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installation freezing at a certain file number

Please note - you MUST have administrator rights on your Mac user account as EPs/SPs require Permission changes which will prompt for the password.

For those not able to install because your installer is freezing at a certain file, please can you try the following and report back:

- Turn off Time Machine and close ALL other apps you have running. By closing I mean properly quitting the app, not just closing the window by clicking on the red x. This includes antivirus and clean up apps, ALL apps!

- If you're installing from disc turn off your wireless/unplug your ethernet cable so your Mac is completely offline.

- If you end up uninstalling and retrying, please make sure you follow these instructions on CLEANLY and COMPLETELY uninstalling your game, the Uninstaller doesn't uninstall everything which can cause issues.
apple-signature.png

Comments

• big_nkrumahbig_nkrumah Posts: 5
    edited January 2014
    I get stuck at "caches\sunset valley.objectCache Error" each time I try to install. It looks like it's either the tail end of item 3 or item 4. Followed all these instructions and found a few more Sims-related files in the Library that weren't mentioned here.

I know others have had a similar issue but I haven't seen a concrete answer to how I can avoid this. I am on a brand new Macbook Pro and don't have a disk drive, so I'm working with an Origin digital copy.

I'm at my wit's end, lol.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited January 2014
    Whereabouts in the Library? Please can you let me know? I haven't had to reinstall for a while so may have missed any recent changes.
    apple-signature.png
    edited January 2014
    There is a com.transgaming folder (com.transgaming.tginstall-sims3-bg-ep08.savedState) in the Saved Application State and a random file (com.transgaming.tginstall-sims3-bg-ep08.plist) not lumped with the rest in the Preferences folder.

Each time I attempt to install (and fail), they're there. I'm not sure if anyone without my problem would see them as well.

EDIT: I just realized that the main folders are mentioned in your post, I think I just noticed these particular files only when failing to install.

Speaking of, after talking to an EA agent that told me Sunset Valley was not the default world and another trying to get me to turn off those processes you mentioned, I'm really hoping someone here has some kind of answer.

The only technical thing I've noticed is this: When I select my install location at the very beginning, it is /Volumes/Data, but the full line I'm getting when the install fails is "\Volumes\Sims3\caches\sunset valley.objectCache", so it might be skipping a folder for this file or something? I'm at a total loss.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited January 2014
    There is a com.transgaming folder (com.transgaming.tginstall-sims3-bg-ep08.savedState) in the Saved Application State and a random file (com.transgaming.tginstall-sims3-bg-ep08.plist) not lumped with the rest in the Preferences folder.

Each time I attempt to install (and fail), they're there. I'm not sure if anyone without my problem would see them as well.

They're mentioned in my instructions - Preferences, Saved Application State, Cache and any other files with Transgaming. In fact I credit 2 other Simmers with drawing my attention to the Saved Application State folder. Sorry if it's not clear enough.
    Speaking of, after talking to an EA agent that told me Sunset Valley was not the default world and another trying to get me to turn off those processes you mentioned, I'm really hoping someone here has some kind of answer.

Can't believe they're still telling people to quit processes, so damaging!
    The only technical thing I've noticed is this: When I select my install location at the very beginning, it is /Volumes/Data, but the full line I'm getting when the install fails is "\Volumes\Sims3\caches\sunset valley.objectCache", so it might be skipping a folder for this file or something? I'm at a total loss.

- Did you turn off Time Machine, if applicable?

- Did you redownload a copy of the game rather than keep trying the same installer from Origin?

- Did you completely uninstall and reinstall Origin? You'll need to delete the residual files again in the Library.

It sounds like a file has become corrupted. This seems to happen frequently with the Mac download from Origin. After a few attempts people have finally managed to get one to work. But it does seem to be after a lot of uninstalling and reinstalling :(
    apple-signature.png
    edited January 2014
    Ha, I just edited. Yes, your instructions were perfectly clear, I guess I'm just so wrapped up in it that I only thought them to be special because there weren't groupings of them. My bad.

Time machine is off (although the external hard drive I'm using is a Time Capsule...), and since this afternoon I've gotten a new code from Origin so I'm definitely using a separate download. And yes, I've manually uninstalled and reinstalled Origin as well!

The most recent one I tried downloaded quickly and without interruption, so I'm really hesitant to think something was corrupted. I'm about to jump back on with EA - I'll report back.
    edited January 2014
    Update: an actually helpful EA technician told me that there are lots of reports of people having a lot of issues with the specific External Hard Drive I'm using (Apple's Time Capsule).

He suggested erasing/reformatting the external drive and installing that way, but it didn't work. So I decided to just make some sacrifices and delete a bunch of stuff from my computer.

If I ever do figure out how to get it working on the Time Capsule I'll be sure to post about it here. Thanks for all of your help. :)
    edited January 2014
    Lol, don't worry, I had to reread my instructions too!

No worries :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited January 2014
    Also click on the "i" for information and then click on the install button when using Origin. The main install button is 9 times out of 10 broken.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.