Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Shaina Reid - Looking for Hope in a Place Called Paradise

SamiKatSamiKat Posts: 3,786 Member
Presenting my gift to SunsetSorbet for the December Flash Mob:

Meet the artistic and talented Shaina Reid. She has been through some tough times lately and I am hoping that SunsetSorbet can help guide her into a brighter future.

Shaina was born and raised in Siesta Key Village, Florida. She has always loved living on the SunCoast and has so many happy memories of her childhood. Unfortunately, the last two years have been difficult. Both of Shaina's parents were killed in a boating accident. Meanwhile, many of her closest friends have moved out of The Village and even out of Florida. She thought she would still be able to find satisfaction in her work as an artist, sculptor and poet, but her happiness was further marred when her longtime boyfriend, Braden, began acting strangely, becoming jealous and violent for no reason. When she broke up with him, he began to stalk her.

Now Shaina plans to move out of Siesta Key. Her cousin in Isla Paradiso has invited her for a long-term stay, which may become permanent. Braden is out of state for a couple of weeks and Shaina is hoping that she can pack her things, say her goodbyes and take a flight to Paradiso before he gets back. Will she find hope for happiness in this new place called Paradise?

ry%3D400

Here is one of Shaina's last messages before she leaves. It's an e-mail to her old high school friend, Danica, who has recently moved to New York.

To: dlandess@gmail.com
Subject: Ch-h-hanges

Hi, Danica:

I miss you, hun! The Village seems so quiet without you. : ) How is the new job? Is it totally different there? Do you like your apartment?

I’m actually starting to pack now. I can’t believe I’m down to my last couple of weeks in Siesta Key. I’m leaving two days after the Fiesta. Do you remember that painting I was working on last time you were here? I named it “Sarasota Sunshine.” I’m going to see if I can sell that and a couple of others to give me a little tide-over cash until I can get settled in Isla Paradiso. The most important thing is that I get out of here before Braden gets back.

I went down the Drum Circle last night. The old Sunday ritual. It doesn’t seem the same without all of our gang, though. At least Suz was there. She wants to take me to dinner the night before my flight. The Lobster Pot, of course!

I had such mixed feelings down at the beach watching the dancers, letting the white quartz sand sift through my fingers as the crashing waves merged with the beat of the drums . So many good memories that seem bittersweet now. All of the old feelings started pouring in; thoughts trickling through my brain. (You know how I get when these ideas start.) So, I pulled out my shabby green notebook and wrote this poem - barely finished it before the sun set over the Gulf.

TranscenDance

We last met at the bewitching hour
when Bedouin beauties and beaded gypsies danced
with naked feet on pillowy, powdered crystal;
spinning hoops into bands of colored light;
twirling layered skirts and swirling silky scarves,
shaking and shimmying their coin-crusted hips.

When the dread-locked drummers tattooed tribal tempos
on rawhide bongos and cold, hard steel heads,
as their shark’s teeth and puka shells tapped percussively
against their bare, tanned chests with gym rat muscles
twitching like snakes in the salty Cuban breeze.

We listened to the sound of our pulsated breathing
under the setting Sarasota sun
as twilight blanketed the pale crescent key
where free and kindred spirits shared secret, primal vibes
I could hear the blood-warm sea pumping in your chest,
ebbing and flowing in steady, constant waves.

If only you had been so steady and constant.

And now I remember your fingers
tapping out the rhythm on my back
as we leaned into each other
and laughed about the funny way
the palms swayed like belly dancers,
and the maracas chanted in time with the sea.

I felt entranced by the swell of synergy
and heard my heartbeat in my ears
nearly drowning out the drums
And the dancers made me dizzy with
their twisting, turning, wheeling, reeling frenzy
The dancers and you, too.

But now the sun has set. The drummers have all gone.
One by one, in separate pieces, our circle has moved on.
I’m alone on Siesta Beach. The dancers have disbanded.
The only rhythm comes from gulf waves polishing the sand.
I hear the wind whisper that I too must leave, forget, let go.
And bury the last remnants of my Sarasota soul.

Whadya think, Dani? I don’t know - I may still work on it a bit. It does seem sort of sad; but I’m trying to transition. I guess that I have to mourn what has been before I can start over again.

Oh, and then it gets a little more complicated. Something I don’t need right now. You remember that ice cream place called Big Olaf’s? Of course, you do! Gawd, we spent too much time there making ourselves happily sick. Well, I met this guy the other day who actually works at a little shop in back of that called Ciao Gelato. It’s pretty amazing and the tourists haven’t found it yet. The guy seems kind of amazing, too, but it’s too late for any of that. I can’t go down that road. Isn’t it just my luck that I meet someone sweet just before I’m ready to leave? He’s the first one who’s caught my eye at all since the ugly break-up with Braden.

Anyway, this guy’s name is Marco and he’s probably a little young for me, but sooo cute. He made this special dessert for me that he called Sunset Sorbet - mounds of mango, strawberry and boysenberry sorbet covered in fresh fruit and topped with whipped cream. I couldn’t eat it all, so he helped me finish. Then he leaned over and surprised the *!&%# out of me by giving me a sticky kiss. It was only a “little” kiss, but seriously, we’d only talked a couple of times before and never even been on a date.

Danica, I’m such a dork! I practically ran out of there. I didn’t know how to even explain to him the situation. I really should tell the poor guy something , but where do I begin? No. I can’t do it. If I’m going to make the break and start over in Paradiso, I’ve got to cut all ties with this place, no matter how much I love it. No matter how many memories are buried in this sunkissed SunCoast sand. Mom and Dad - buried. All my old friends - gone. Braden - lost and better forgotten. Yes, it is definitely time and staying here will only keep me steeped in regret.

Oh, Dani. I hope that you can come visit me in Isla Paradiso once you start accruing some vacation time. I should be settled in by then. Maybe I’ll even have my own place so you won’t have to sleep on Tessa’s couch with me. : ) And my own art studio! Wouldn’t that be cool?

*Huge sighs* Wish me luck, my friend. I am definitely going to need it!

ry%3D400

Comments