Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something to do in Sims 3; The Deal With It Dumpster game

BinkyTrauthierBinkyTrauthier Posts: 58 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong place or something, feel free to move it :)
Anyway, I invented my own little game without even realising. I realised how it is very gamey and I thought hey, why not post it online?
So I decided to share my game with you. I call it the 'Deal With It Dumpster' game. For the sake of a good challenge, I posted the version that I do. My friends do it, but they bend the rules. Naughty!
The aim of the game is to survive without cheats, and pretty much build your home and life out of poverty and dumpster diving.
Here are the steps/rules to playing this game (not good at laying these out sorry);
Making your sim.
The rules for this are you have to randomise some things. You must randomise their favourites, zodiac and traits. You can customise the sim itself only. However, I prefer to randomise the whole sim, so the only thing I get to pick is the gender. If you choose to randomise the whole sim, you only have a choice of the shade of skin and gender (because it doesn't randomise gender or skin. With skin, it only picks how dark or pale your sim is with the slider). You can also make as many sims as you want, and of whatever age.
Move the sim into an empty lot and build your house.
Yup, this means you have a completely empty lot to start with. The rule here is you can build your house however you want... With the money you have. This means no money cheats at all, you just build what you can afford. However, you're not allowed any furniture. You can have a pool, doors, windows, wallpaper, floors, tree, bush, and build mode flowers only, but you're not allowed to buy any furniture, not even lighting. Everything has to be from buy mode. So the finished product is just a building, with absolutely nothing inside.
Say goodbye to your money.
This is the only time you can use cheats. You need to do the familyfunds cheat after building your house, and make your funds 0. This means that all you have to your name is the free newspaper outside and the four walls you built. You're also not allowed a job, not even part-time, until you have a full house of furniture (meaning every room is furnished properly).
Getting furniture and money.
To get furniture and money, you have to dumpster dive. This is the main foundation of the game. Things from TV's to beds can be found there, so you must furnish your house with things found in the dumpster only. However, you may be in luck if you're a kleptomaniac, because you could also furnish your house with stolen stuff >:D. The rules for this are, as said, only furniture from stealing/dumpster diving is allowed. You must not sell anything you find, besides bugs, gems and metal. if it isn't any of those 3, you must keep it, despite how many of it you have. Selling the bugs, gems and metal, and mooching off people are the only ways you're allowed to make money.
Stay alive!
Without the use of cheats and your own furniture, it'll be difficult to keep your sim alive, but it can be done. You don't have a shower? Go to the gym. Need to pee? Nature is your friend. So basically, use any outside facilities to fufil your needs, such as a barbeque at the park, a wild fruit or vegetable, a bench to sleep, etc. You can go to a friend's house, but only if your sim is desperate. I was going to ban going to a friend's house, but in some neighbourhoods there may not be any barbeques to eat, or maybe the showers in the gym are all taken up. So friend's houses are for emergencies only.
Other rules
No cheats are permitted, only at the time where you get rid of the family's money. You can't earn money from gardening, part time jobs, fishing, writing novels, or anything like that. The only ways are stated under getting furniture and money. You're also not allowed to have a sim move in with you, nor are you allowed to marry a sim until your house is fully furnished. Parteners come with money, and outside money is what we're avoiding.
Of course, I know this game might not be everyone's cup of tea. I invented it because I love dupster diving, it's something to do, and I elaborated on it because I was thinking about how much more challenging it may be dealing with a sim's traits when doing this challenge. For example, I don't know for sure, but someone with the clean trait might be reluctant to dive, and someone who hates the outdoors won't be happy being outside all the time. This is why I called it Deal With It Dumpster, so you can try to work with whatever kind of sim you got, and try to make a good living for them. But like I said, I know not everyone will like this game, but I posted this for those who think ooh I'd like to do something new.
So, if anyone has any queries or feedback on this, reply below and I'll try to get back to everyone as soon as I can. All I can say is I hope some people like my game, and I hope this will give some people something to do. Happy simming! :)

*Updates!
This is where I'll put updates on rules. My updates are based on feedback from people who play my game;
Feedback Update
Ambitions Expansion
For anyone who has ambitions, I have been told that there's a junkyward in which objects are laying around. For now, grabbing that will be a no no, but if by popular demand it turns out that not a lot spawns, nothing good spawns, etc, then I'll change this rule.
Building your house update.
You are allowed to buy trees and flowers, as long as it's all from build mode, strictly nothing is to be bought from buy mode.

Other
Curtesy of JessicaB9188;
1) You CAN get married, however you must use the familyfunds cheat to remove any money they bring in with them. Anything in their inventory can be kept and used, but not sold for money. They can join a self-employment career, (artist, writer, gardener, etc) but no other type of job is permitted.

2) No selling the Camera, University Welcome Kit or Time Portal for extra money. All three must be put into the family inventory. Once your home is furnished (Meaning Kitchen/Living area, One bathroom and One Bedroom at the very least) then you may place or sell those three items as you see fit.

3) If your sim (or their spouse if they have one) becomes pregnant, you have the chance to 'unlock' the baby furniture and toys section in buy mode. To unlock it, you (and your spouse if you have one) must collect bugs, gems, metals, etc, or paint, play guitar for tips, anything such as those to make enough money to build on a room for the nursery, paint the walls, put flooring down and buy at least one crib, one potty chair and one high chair. (Toys are optional. You may choose to make your own using the toyshop from Midnight Hollow) If you fail to complete the nursery before the baby(ies) is(are) born, your child(ren) will be stuck passing out on the floor and such until your or your spouses next pregnancy, where you will recieve a new chance to complete this goal.

***If you have a kleptomaniac, you simply need to have enough money to build the room itself and buy whatever baby furniture you can't steal from people's homes***
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    MurlMurl Posts: 121 New Member
    edited December 2013
    Definitely going to give this a go! Thanks :lol:
  • Options
    ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited December 2013
    Do "dumpsters" include the junkyard that comes with Ambitions?
  • Options
    lydiad206lydiad206 Posts: 3,747 Member
    edited December 2013
    Cool idea!! I'll have to give this a shot.
    er0s4g.jpg
  • Options
    tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    edited December 2013
    I think this sounds like a lot of fun. I am sure a lot of people would be interested in trying it out.

You might want to add it to the list of challenges in this thread, where others looking for a good challenging game go for ideas :wink:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/362585.page

• Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited December 2013
    I'm not even playiong sims 3 nowadays. But I enjoyed reading your post. It sounds like a fun challenge.
  • Options
    BinkyTrauthierBinkyTrauthier Posts: 58 Member
    edited December 2013
    Wow I didn't think this many people would be interested in this post :D@tammy I shall add it to the game thing :B EXCITEMENT and @ShadeDaystar I can't really say much because I only have supernatural, but anywhere with a dumpster where you can dumpster dive is fine :)
  • Options
    ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited December 2013
    I can't really say much because I only have supernatural, but anywhere with a dumpster where you can dumpster dive is fine :)

The Junkyard that comes with Ambitions randomly spawns junked items. I've heard different reports on whether or not they're able (or even supposed) to be repaired, but chairs and stuff can be sat on. Other items I've seen in there, besides sculptures, were broken tvs, sinks, fortune cookie makers, and a bunch of other stuff.
  • Options
    klovey2klovey2 Posts: 192 Member
    edited December 2013
    definitely going to give this a go!!
  • Options
    lydiad206lydiad206 Posts: 3,747 Member
    edited December 2013
    I can't really say much because I only have supernatural, but anywhere with a dumpster where you can dumpster dive is fine :)

The Junkyard that comes with Ambitions randomly spawns junked items. I've heard different reports on whether or not they're able (or even supposed) to be repaired, but chairs and stuff can be sat on. Other items I've seen in there, besides sculptures, were broken tvs, sinks, fortune cookie makers, and a bunch of other stuff.

You can also collect scrap for making inventions to sell. Or you can sell the scrap on it's own.
    er0s4g.jpg
  • Options
    StilettoBlackStilettoBlack Posts: 3,844 Member
    edited December 2013
    I was about to do something like this. :D I made the American Pickers. Have you ever seen the show? Frank, Mike & Danielle. d5ced7e0-451e-4c17-9373-469b28ee1992_zps1f4eaf29.jpg

I think I'll follow your rules, but I had them buy 2 lots. One for their house, one for their store. They will have to work at selling what they find. Got any rules to add doing it this way?

I started them in Twinbrook. I want to place dumpsters in the junkyards. I cannot find the dumpsters anywhere in buy or build. :shock: I've been looking the last half hour or so. Do you know where they are?
  • Options
    klovey2klovey2 Posts: 192 Member
    edited December 2013
    Miscellaneous decor.
    I just started mine and its definitely a challenge!!
    so far I found bugs, scrap, 2 grills, and a gem.
  • Options
    emma78888emma78888 Posts: 240 Member
    edited December 2013
    This sounds like a type of game I would be interested in trying out! I am going to give it a go! :)
  • Options
    JessicaB9188JessicaB9188 Posts: 407 Member
    edited December 2013
    Bookmarking for later as well! :D I'm doing the runaway teen challenge at the moment, but this sounds like it's right up my alley! :D

Though I might change a few things for myself:

1) You CAN get married, however you must use the familyfunds cheat to remove any money they bring in with them. Anything in their inventory can be kept and used, but not sold for money. They can join a self-employment career, (artist, writer, gardener, etc) but no other type of job is permitted.

2) No selling the Camera, University Welcome Kit or Time Portal for extra money. All three must be put into the family inventory. Once your home is furnished (Meaning Kitchen/Living area, One bathroom and One Bedroom at the very least) then you may place or sell those three items as you see fit.

3) If your sim (or their spouse if they have one) becomes pregnant, you have the chance to 'unlock' the baby furniture and toys section in buy mode. To unlock it, you (and your spouse if you have one) must collect bugs, gems, metals, etc, or paint, play guitar for tips, anything such as those to make enough money to build on a room for the nursery, paint the walls, put flooring down and buy at least one crib, one potty chair and one high chair. (Toys are optional. You may choose to make your own using the toyshop from Midnight Hollow) If you fail to complete the nursery before the baby(ies) is(are) born, your child(ren) will be stuck passing out on the floor and such until your or your spouses next pregnancy, where you will recieve a new chance to complete this goal.

***If you have a kleptomaniac, you simply need to have enough money to build the room itself and buy whatever baby furniture you can't steal from people's homes***

Hmmm, I think that covers it. I just wanted to make it even more challenging for myself.
    JessiBeau Here! :D
    Hop on over to my YouTube Channel if you'd like!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    lol Rossetta,

My hubby watches the pickers all the time and I was thinking the same thing. Do you have them in your studio? ... I was also thinking of making some picker sisters for that other picking show that my hubby won't watch :lol:
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited December 2013
    I think it sounds interesting too. I'm bookmarking it so I can return & read the rules again if/when I decide to do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    tammyjo329 wrote:
    lol Rossetta,

My hubby watches the pickers all the time and I was thinking the same thing. Do you have them in your studio? ... I was also thinking of making some picker sisters for that other picking show that my hubby won't watch :lol:

There's another picker show? I didn't know, what is it called? I'd love that job! :lol:
    I'll upload them today when I start my game. I'm proud of Mike, it looks just like him. Frank & Danielle aren't the greatest, I spent to much time on Mike. :P
  • Options
    drgnfly30drgnfly30 Posts: 142 Member
    edited December 2013
    I was about to do something like this. :D I made the American Pickers. Have you ever seen the show? Frank, Mike & Danielle. d5ced7e0-451e-4c17-9373-469b28ee1992_zps1f4eaf29.jpg

I think I'll follow your rules, but I had them buy 2 lots. One for their house, one for their store. They will have to work at selling what they find. Got any rules to add doing it this way?

I started them in Twinbrook. I want to place dumpsters in the junkyards. I cannot find the dumpsters anywhere in buy or build. :shock: I've been looking the last half hour or so. Do you know where they are?

Go into Edit town and in the lot you are wanting to build on. Choose the Kitchen in buy mode then disposables. It should be there this time.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    There's another picker show? I didn't know, what is it called? I'd love that job! :lol:
    I'll upload them today when I start my game. I'm proud of Mike, it looks just like him. Frank & Danielle aren't the greatest, I spent to much time on Mike. :P

Yes it is called "The Picker sisters". I think you can find them one of the Lifetime chanels. I forget which one. Anyway it is two ladies who are best friends and renown interior decorators. Anyway they go picking and then refurbish their picks into new works of art and furniture then sell it in their store.

ETA: here is a link if you want to checkout the picker sisters:
    http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/picker-sisters
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The dumpsters are under decor miscellaneous and under outdoor decor (click on the flamingo icon in the outdoor tab) :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Looks cool. I bet my husband would like it, they are prettier than Mike & Frank. :D
    Here are my pickers. I only selected the everyday outfit, so no telling what they will wear for their other outfits. :lol:
    I had to upload on my other account, This account hasn't been able to upload in years. :P

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7843831

Thank you, I found the dumpsters. I have so much in my game it's hard for me to find things.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Thanks Rosetta, rec'd and dl'd :)

I think MIke looks amazing!
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited December 2013
    i need a quick play! so im going to try this challenge, thanks!

my only concern is food and bathrooms - im assuming i can grow food but what if i never find a toilet or frig :|
  • Options
    JessicaB9188JessicaB9188 Posts: 407 Member
    edited December 2013
    Food and Bathrooms- Gyms, Pools, and Firestations most likely will have bathrooms, sometimes the gym will have a snack area with a fridge you can grab quick meals from.
    JessiBeau Here! :D
    Hop on over to my YouTube Channel if you'd like!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    :lol: This is fun. I've been sending them to the fire station to shower, eat & sleep. So far I have a stove & dishwasher, but no way of preparing food. They have 2 video game systems, but no tv. They did find a cheap radio. I have 4 or 5 little trashcans, I get those often. I got lucky and found 1 bed, 2 couches, 2 lamps & a workout machine. They have no bathroom items yet.
    All this dumpster diving is turning them into rebels! Frank just became a Line Crosser! :lol: He got a megaphone & an art kit.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited December 2013
    thanks jessica! yea im hoping that after some point i get to have my own :) we'll see what happens!

just powering up the game now

RosettasStoned you list is too awesome! and im encouraged that you found a stove!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top