Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are mods safe to use for sims 3.

I was just wondering if Mods are safe to use for your game. I was looking on the mod website and found a lot of cool things and I am thinking of using some of them but I am worried about them stuffing up my computer, please help, any advice would be much appreciated, thanx in advanced :)

Comments

• lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited December 2013
    Mods are safe to use as long as they are updated to the same patch level as your game, and installed correctly. Mod the Sims and NRaas both have instructions for installing mods, if you get stuck there are some lovely people on the forums who will always help you.
  • tamogotchitamogotchi Posts: 39
    edited December 2013
    I have latest update which is 1.63
  • RemadoraRemadora Posts: 15
    edited December 2013
    I use mods, and I've had no problems. My game isn't updated, so I just use the older mod versions, but as you have the latest, you'll have no issues. I recommend Twallan's Story Progression :)there are mods for almost everything you could need.

Happy simming!
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited December 2013
    hi tamogotchi, if helpful i cant think of a mod that would damage a computer - of course its possible to muck up a saved game with an outdated or conflicting one and most times simply pulling the mod is all that is needed in such cases

start here re general info on mods

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-how-do-i-install-custom-content-mods.html
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited December 2013
    I've only been using mods for a short time, so I'm not an expert, but I have a suggestion. Don't put too many mods in all at once. Start with one or two, then when you've gotten those figured out, add in a couple more. It can get overwhelming to try to learn too many at once. Besides that, Story Progression and maybe some others might cause lag, and if you've only put in one or two, it's easier to figure out which one needs its settings adjusted, or might even need be removed if your computer just can't handle it at all. Mine is low on memory, so I had to remove some SP modules I wanted, but that weren't as important as others.
    edited December 2013
    thanx guys, I was also wondering if there is any mods for new careers? and what does the Twallan's Story Progression Mod do?
    edited December 2013
    How would I know if the download works or not?
  • lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited December 2013
    There are career mods. NRaas has some, and so do Mod the Sims. They all need the NRaas Careers base mod to run. NRaas offers a self employed housewife career and home schooling, among others. Mod the Sims has lawyer, accountant, veterinarian, pharmacist and supermodel, as well as others I can't remember. I have most of these.

Story Progression mod is wonderful. It keeps your town alive over generations by making sims you aren't playing get jobs, date, marry, have children, sometimes divorce and remarry. It will send sims to a community lot if your sims go there, so they aren't always the only ones at a club or festival.

Some people have said SP makes their game run slower, but I haven't noticed that on mine.
    edited December 2013
    I've just downloaded a sim from the mod website and I was just wondering how would I know if it worked or not because nothing has showed up in my game
  • ErnesaTErnesaT Posts: 7,474 Member
    edited December 2013
    Mods are great. I use a few from VelocityGrass at Mod The Sims and a whole lot from Twallan at NRaas.

They are fairly simple to use. Once you install them, you can tweak them by going in-game, clicking on City Hall, click NRaas and choose which mod you want to tweak.

There are lots of flavors to the mods. Just read the FAQ about what they do.

As for downloading a sim and not seeing it in the bin ..... the sim may not have been listed as a "household". In that case, you have to go in CAS, select custom sims (the little * thingy) and find your sim in there.
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    edited December 2013
    tamogotchi wrote:
    How would I know if the download works or not?

Start here: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

Copy your Saves folder FIRST.

Once you've downloaded this, it will automatically setup the Mods folder and it's two sub-folders, plus the Resource.cgf file you'll need. This also comes with two package folders: nointro and the NoBuildSparkle files. Delete your cache files then launch your game. If you go from the Maxis screen to your latest EP loading screen, then you'll know you've got framework installed correctly. After this, you can delete the nointro file, if you desire.

When you've selected the NRaas mod of your choice, making sure the base mod's level matches the patch level of your game, then 'extract all' to the Packages folder using your document path (for PC): document/EA/Sims3/Mods/Packages. Again. clear out the cache folders from your Sims3 folder.

Launch your game. If you've installed the NRaas Mod(s)correctly, you should get a menu of script mods installed in your game. Click on the X and it will show your game saves like normal. Voila.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited December 2013
    So that means I have to start a new game in order to access the CAS and install the sim I've downloaded into my game . I've been in CAS and no where it says custom sims or whatever it is
    Post edited by Unknown User on