Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Morakai's Homework: Zoo U Course Victorians- Completed & Comments welcome!

MorakaiMorakai Posts: 3,806 Member
To start out I decided to flip Ms. Ruth's house, instead of doing an orginal, or direct copying. Just flipping it gave the experience of an original, with some inkling of how it is done, and didn't have to just direct copy.

I did start out with a yellow roof, but then decided to up the contrast factor, and go with brown.

Screenshot-288.jpg

Newer Version:

Screenshot-290.jpg

Internet is in fits right now, so will post more pics soon.

Comments

• yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited November 2013
    Oh WOW! That is looking great! Well done Morakai! :D
  • RayshizzieRayshizzie Posts: 2,650 Member
    edited November 2013
    Looking great!! I would never ever think of using those colors together but I love it! Very cool and unique and that is what I think is so great about Victorian style homes! There is no limit on the use of creativity, especially with color schemes! Looking forward to seeing more pics, great job! :thumbup:
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,585 Member
    edited November 2013
    Your WIP is looking great! :) The brown and yellow shades of colour look great together. Great way you are doing the exterior. The porch is looking great.
  • samj6samj6 Posts: 750 Member
    edited November 2013
    It looks great! Great use of brown and yellow, they do create a nice contrast :D
  • MorakaiMorakai Posts: 3,806 Member
    edited November 2013
    THanks everyone! I hope to be able to post pics of all angles of the house, but Photobucket & Firefox is giving me fits. Can't get links for more than 2 pics before everything locks up on me. <sigh> :( Will keep trying though.

I have added a garage, greenhouse, pool, and garden as well. Plus a bit of landscaping. Just hope it turns out ok with the teacher (RuthlessKK). Will take pics & post as soon as I am able! :D
    edited November 2013
    ok... FOund out that it was Photobucket that was having the issues, so i worked around it! hehe :wink:

ok.. Now for pics that are around the house. Please remember that these are early pics & don't include the additions that I have added to the landscaping of the lot.

Porch side of house:

Screenshot-291.jpg

Back side of house:

Screenshot-292.jpg

Chimney side of house going towards the front:

Screenshot-293.jpg

Screenshot-294.jpg
  • YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited November 2013
    *dies* How do people build like that!?
    I love the wrap-around porch bit, with the fences. The colours are great, and the roofing is perfect. Mine often goes messy. Cant wait to see this completed, it looks awesome :)
    edited November 2013
    edited November 2013
    Yellowjane, I read the roofing tutorial that Zoo & RuthlessKK did awhile back. There is a link to it in the newest Zoo U course. Victorians! :D I am a box builder. This is the first build that I have done that isn't a box shape. And the roofing lessons really did explain it well enough that I only had to play with it a little bit to get everything to work. Really good lessons & tips!

Thank you Rosemaw! Have to admit, a bit nervous to tackle the rest, but hoping it turns out well! :D
  • BambooEaterrrBambooEaterrr Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited November 2013
    Nice work! :D I really like how you've colored it in a more understated way, makes it look very realistic ^^ And the different windows you've used fit so well together. The turret almost looks castle-like which adds something very interesting and unique to the build :D
  • aminovasaminovas Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited November 2013
    Wow! Morakai, this looks super professional. You say you are an inexperienced builder, but no one would ever know looking at this. I agree, your color choices are fantastic. They seem very period appropriate and they are kind of unusual, too! Very handsome and the epitome of "stately". Really stunning. Have fun finishing it :mrgreen:
    edited December 2013
    @ MapiyaSims: Thank you! Ruth makes it very easy to follow along & learn! :D

@ BambooEaterrr: I thought that the castle windows would work with the walls that didn't like the bigger windows. Plus they looked the best for the idea that I was going for. I like the castle look too! :D And thanks! I was hoping the colors wouldn't be too much.

@ aminovas: Yep! Before this I was a box builder. Now I want to go over my previous work, and redo things now that I have learned so much. Also, I LOVE Victorians, and the decor of that age, but with a more Colonial twist. Thank you for the compliment. I know I am just learning, but I hope to be able to learn more soon.
  • TarynTempestwindTarynTempestwind Posts: 4,438 Member
    edited December 2013
    Beautiful, Morakai! Just beautiful! I am so impressed!
    edited December 2013
    Beautiful, Morakai! Just beautiful! I am so impressed!

Awww shucks, Taryn! :oops: Thank you, but I am a mere popper compared to your fireworks! However, I do appreciate the compliment! :oops: :D
  • AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member
    edited December 2013
    A lovely work, Morakai sweetie. Well done :thumbup: Have a wonderful Sunday :D
  • GreenDream19GreenDream19 Posts: 1,294 Member
    edited December 2013
    Hiya sweetie! I'm super impressed by your beautiful Victorian! You've nailed the design perfectly! Great work honey! :D
    edited December 2013
    It is looking better and better! Very impressive Morakai! :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • abbyc97abbyc97 Posts: 1,550 Member
    edited December 2013
    I absolutely love it! Your color scheme is so unique and it just works! The brown roof really makes a difference! Im very Interested into seeing this completled! Well Done! :D
    edited December 2013
    Thank you all! I hope to add some more pics soon. However, I have a contest to judge first so will be a few days. It will also be a few days before I am able to get into the insides. Sill debating the outside. Just not liking the way everything seems on one side of the build. Need to balance it better. Will see!

Thank you all for the encouragement! :D This is my first non-box, and a bit anxious to make sure I get it nicely done all around. <fingers crossed> :wink:
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited December 2013
    oh YAY!!!! It is AWESOME! You really got the look perfectly...A++. Gorgeous work!
    edited December 2013
    oh YAY!!!! It is AWESOME! You really got the look perfectly...A++. Gorgeous work!

Oh wow! Thank you! You are a great teacher. I _just_ read the roofing lesson the day before you started the Victorians. :oops: Thank you so much for sharing your insights on building! Just hope I do as well on the inside! :lol: :oops: :roll: :wink:
    edited December 2013
    So I did a bit of work on the exterior activities & areas. Still have a few tweeks re & there, but started working on the inside. It needs a LOT more work on the inside, which is so not my forte. However, thought I would show what I have done so far. :D On the outside. :wink::lol:

Front of the house:

Screenshot-300.jpg

Pond at the front corner:

Screenshot-298.jpg

Pool directly behind the house;

Screenshot-295.jpg

Shot of Garage, Greenhouse, & outdoor garden:

Screenshot-297.jpg

Play area (not finished yet)

Screenshot-296.jpg
    edited December 2013
    Your WIP is looking great! It looks great how you have placed the flowers along the edge of the front porch and steps. The front corner pond area looks very nice! It looks great how you have placed the plants there and placing the tree in the corner looks great. The stone paving footpath goes well with the look of the home. Very nice pool area. Great paving around the edge of the pool. It looks nice how you have placed the rock water fountain on the side of the pool and have placed the plants/sunflowers behind it. Nice touch to have the lemonade jug on the table between the 2 loungers. Sims will enjoy relaxing outside in the pool area. It looks great how you have designed an area of the outdoors with the greenhouse to grow plants indoors and then have the outdoors garden patch next to it. Sims will enjoy growing and harvesting the produce. The playground is looking great. It looks a great home for a family of sims. Great exterior of the garage.
    It is looking good! :)
    edited December 2013
    What lovely additions! Loving the greenhouse, the backyard, the pool area and the garage. Great progress Morakai. :D
  • samj6samj6 Posts: 750 Member
    edited December 2013
    It looks awesome, I love what you've done with the garden :D