Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

do ALL rabbit holes have to be in my world?

I'm working on a town and some rabbit holes, such as the military place or the theater, don't really fit with my theme... if I leave them out, will it be a problem?

Thanks

Comments

• StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited November 2013
    You don't have to use any rabbit holes if you don't want to.
    I've built no rabbit hole worlds & everything works fine :)
    You unfortunately will be missing the careers/skills classes/buy/sell/consign options that come with them.
    You can use the cash registers that come with EPs to offer buy/sell/consign options.
    If it's the appearance of the rabbit holes you don't want?
    Try burying them under custom built comm. lots in basements using moveobjects on.
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2013
    Well there are a few Town Halls that include the military and police dept. in them. All rabbitholes are the careers - so it limits careers and some opportunities Sims won't be able to fulfill - but if you are making the world just for yourself then it shouldn't matter. But if it is to be shared that might be a problem for some players to complete opportunities and such - depending on what the sims do for a living. I find the worlds with few rabbitholes and roadless not lasting towns. They are fun for a while but when the game stops giving opportunities because something is missing or the town starts dying because Townies are limited in what the SP can do for thise sims especially if the town is roadless too as almost nothing works right after a while with out car pools and school buses. But then you never said your world is roadless. I just know I never have good luck with worlds that do not include the regular RH's for longevity and often start tiring of it rather quickly because of some limitations - but I hear otherwise from other simmers. I just wonder how long those people play that world once the newness wears off.

Like I said though is it all boils down to if you are sharing or not. As you will at least needs the empty lots in the game for simmers to place their own RH's that you don't want if you are sharing. I personally do not usually even bother downloading a world that does not have all the basic RH's because I enjoy playing worlds long term if I like a world enough to download after testing them out. I so far have not kept any world that was only half done as I eventually got bored with those because too many townies were messed up either due to the lack of roads or availiability of AI controllable work.

But far worse than missing RH's is no roads. This game just does not play well roadless out side of your own household period.

The fact it is your world though, build it as you want it to be - and if others don't like it it shouldn't matter if you built it for yourself. It should not fall apart over no theater - although sims love going to the movies and that is where they get the skills for musical instuments - so it is up to you really. The military is where sims get the mechanical skill. But you can always call repair sim to fix broken stuff, and have no bands or music oriented sims if no theater.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited November 2013
    Looks like you have your answers, but yes: if you don't have the rabbit hole, the career won't be available that's all. It won't break anything. No military base just means in that town the military career wont be there to join! I think you need some though, such as the town hall, as they're imponrtant. But I can't see it'd have HUGE problems without any ;)
  • aaronrogers8i3aaronrogers8i3 Posts: 555 Member
    edited November 2013
    You don't need all the rabbit holes but it is recommended for the best gameplay. You will not only be missing certain careers but also opportunities related to a certain rabbit hole.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited November 2013
    There's nothing wrong with having no rabbit holes in your world because I've built some like that and Winfield works very well though it's got no lots in game start-up because I forgot to put any in before I exported it into my game and I love it for starting new games because I have to build it myself.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited November 2013
    Have you thought about getting the Jynx rabbithole rugs, and building your own rabbitholes? It's what I'm doing in my pioneer town founders' game. None of the EA rabbitholes fit with the hand built from scratch theme of my town, so I'm using the Jynx rugs to make my own. So far, they've got a white wooden chapel (designated graveyard), and a log cabin schoolhouse.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited November 2013
    Lovelylisac I already have those rabbit hole replacement items from the Custom Sims site and I've used them to build schools.I got them because the EA rabbit holes are too big for some worlds and the schools are too big for some worlds to fit any more than one school which is often hard to get to for some families.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • hlouisehlouise Posts: 409 New Member
    edited November 2013
    Have you thought about getting the Jynx rabbithole rugs, and building your own rabbitholes? It's what I'm doing in my pioneer town founders' game. None of the EA rabbitholes fit with the hand built from scratch theme of my town, so I'm using the Jynx rugs to make my own. So far, they've got a white wooden chapel (designated graveyard), and a log cabin schoolhouse.

Is there another way to make our own rabbit holes without downloading something?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2013
    Nope. RH's is mostly done with programming and seeing we can't program a shell to function something has to get the programming into the building. That is all that those CC rugs do is add the specific programming to a building or space. It is not a visual thing but more of a communication device with the A.I. to tell the game that this space or this building represent this job or place. The AI then recognizes what that space represents. Remember just because you make a building that looks identical to a real life building in a video game will not make that building perform as it looks but only by the programming put into that building. You could place a single stone wall with a doorway in it with the programmung to see that wall as the science center and it would behave as the science center even though to us it appears as a brick wall with a doorway. The game does not care what you put anywhere as it will only recognize anything as an object that carries the related programming- but the programming must be there.

Which the CC rugs and doors do - but unfortunately in a game they do not update when the game is updated - so sometimes they can cease functioning - and why one should not build a world with CC as we cannot remove content that is placed in a world in CAW to update it with updated content. So that can become a problem as long as EA continues to offer game patches and updates.

What some people do is place the RH's from the game in cellars - that way - unlike the rugs and door, EA content DOES update when EA updates the game - so the content will never break the world like CC content can.

Sometimes it is just better if one must use the rugs and doors to just leave the lots empty in the game and then offer the finished lots that use CC in them as separate downloads simmers can add to the world - that way the world does not get broken.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....