Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course 12: Victorians 101--Guest Professor: ruthless_kk! Link to Lesson in Post One!

Comments

• jenny0786jenny0786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited November 2013
    I figured out what I did wrong; I chose the wrong roof type. LOL. It could be because I have three toddlers [two 6yr olds and 1 3yr old] running through the house screaming at the top of their lungs right now.
  • BambooEaterrrBambooEaterrr Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited November 2013
    I was just making the second turret and it's always a pain to make those shapes with foundations, as if you don't do it in the right way, it keeps telling you that "You can't place that through walls" - it's almost as if it's by accident every time I get the game to do that :lol: Is there a sure way to do it? I seem to always have to involve the hammer tool and try and try lol.

Also what happens if you ARE in the foundation section when you turn off placefriezes? :oops: *is a silly panda who forgot to check* :b
  • friendsfan36friendsfan36 Posts: 6,715 New Member
    edited November 2013
    i did my turrets wrong, right now the house looks like a room with 2 smaller rooms on the side.
  • ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited November 2013
    Ok....Zoo.....if you would like to update the thread info to note that the whole class is on page 8 of this thread, that would be great!

I will be here ( off and on...literally..since the internet is still being spotty) for the next few hours to take questions and I will also be popping back in daily as well.

Thank you all for your patience. If I didnt have to go shopping later, I would so be pouring a glass of wine right about now...hehe.

DONE, my friend! I think you should make Mr. Ruthless do the shopping and you should be allowed to put on your jammies and drink your nice... NECTAR. Nectar and chocolates can go well together! :mrgreen:

By the way, and this isn't horrible so don't be upset, but most of your photos are a tiny bit too wide when viewed with Internet Explorer (they hang out past the end of the thread). It does NOT seem to be breaking the thread or causing performance issues at present, but it certainly CAN do that.

If you would put "width=650" (including quotes) right before the [/img] then it should fix that. Don't use any spaces, but DO use the quotes. :mrgreen:

Zoo

P.S.
    I LOVE that your Sim-self has a black cat named Builder! He and Sim Ruthy are being downloaded as we speak!!
    oow785m
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited November 2013
    I was just making the second turret and it's always a pain to make those shapes with foundations, as if you don't do it in the right way, it keeps telling you that "You can't place that through walls" - it's almost as if it's by accident every time I get the game to do that :lol: Is there a sure way to do it? I seem to always have to involve the hammer tool and try and try lol.

Also what happens if you ARE in the foundation section when you turn off placefriezes? :oops: *is a silly panda who forgot to check* :b

If you try to use place friezes while you are in that section of the catalog...it wontt work...and you will get frustrated...and ( if you are like me) you might say a bad word. :)

You need to make sure the frieze is not up against a wall ( so your turret has to be in the right spot) and then I find drawing in the straight ones first...like a plus sign...and then doing the diagonals is teh easiest way to go.
    edited November 2013
    If you try to use place friezes while you are in that section of the catalog...it wontt work...and you will get frustrated...and ( if you are like me) you might say a bad word. :)

You need to make sure the frieze is not up against a wall ( so your turret has to be in the right spot) and then I find drawing in the straight ones first...like a plus sign...and then doing the diagonals is teh easiest way to go.

Ah okay, thanks! :) Will try the plus sign the next time!

Hmm, I just experienced something weird. When I tried to delete some foundation it put in some more instead o.O I experienced on another laptop as well and this builder's blank is from that laptop :shock: Has anyone else experienced this before?
    Edit - just mentioning because I thought it might be because of having turned off plazefriezes in the foundation category (but then again in another). Although since I've never used it before and I've had the issue before, it seems unlikely :hunf:
    edited November 2013
    Ok....Zoo.....if you would like to update the thread info to note that the whole class is on page 8 of this thread, that would be great!

I will be here ( off and on...literally..since the internet is still being spotty) for the next few hours to take questions and I will also be popping back in daily as well.

Thank you all for your patience. If I didnt have to go shopping later, I would so be pouring a glass of wine right about now...hehe.

DONE, my friend! I think you should make Mr. Ruthless do the shopping and you should be allowed to put on your jammies and drink your nice... NECTAR. Nectar and chocolates can go well together! :mrgreen:

By the way, and this isn't horrible so don't be upset, but most of your photos are a tiny bit too wide when viewed with Internet Explorer (they hang out past the end of the thread). It does NOT seem to be breaking the thread or causing performance issues at present, but it certainly CAN do that.

If you would put "width=650" (including quotes) right before the [/img] then it should fix that. Don't use any spaces, but DO use the quotes. :mrgreen:

Zoo

P.S.
    I LOVE that your Sim-self has a black cat named Builder! He and Sim Ruthy are being downloaded as we speak!!

I have to do the shopping cause I scared off the family....they went to the movies with a promise to bring back a new router and chocolate to tame the ranting RUTHY who took over earlier. Poor dears. :)

I will resize the pix (again!) as soon as possible.
    edited November 2013

Ah okay, thanks! :) Will try the plus sign the next time!

Hmm, I just experienced something weird. When I tried to delete some foundation it put in some more instead o.O I experienced on another laptop as well and this builder's blank is from that laptop :shock: Has anyone else experienced this before?
    Edit - just mentioning because I thought it might be because of having turned off plazefriezes in the foundation category (but then again in another). Although since I've never used it before and I've had the issue before, it seems unlikely :hunf:

I have not had that happen....adding more stuff when you try to delete stuff? Worst thing that will happen with the friezes is that you cant draw in regular foundation until you turn them off.
    edited November 2013

Zoo

P.S.

I have to do the shopping cause I scared off the family....they went to the movies with a promise to bring back a new router and chocolate to tame the ranting RUTHY who took over earlier. Poor dears. :)

I will resize the pix (again!) as soon as possible.

LOL! It does a family good to see that mom CAN lose it when necessary!

By the way, I told you twice about the photo resizing because I didn't realize my last post worked. Now I am having technical difficulties! Very sorry, it was not my intention to nag--- it really is a "tomorrow" kind of problem!

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited November 2013
    my turrets come out square not round
    edited November 2013
    I have not had that happen....adding more stuff when you try to delete stuff? Worst thing that will happen with the friezes is that you cant draw in regular foundation until you turn them off.

Irk, now I'm afraid I've brought something bad into my game even though I never use CC :? Bah, all the weird stuff the game can do makes me so twitchy lol! I'm literally afraid to save now :lol:

Ok, back to this, sorry for the detour! I'm glad that nothing bad can happen with the placefriezes :)

Edit - do your make your chimneys 1x1 or 1x2 big? I've found that 1x2 looks weird, yet the top of the chimney that will allow smokey does not fit very well inside a 1x1 -.-
    (Sorry for all my small-ish questions!)
    edited November 2013
    my turrets come out square not round

make sure you are drawing each wall in one at a time instead of using the create room tool like below:

wall.jpg

because that will make whatever you draw a square. Then draw each wall like this:

10.jpg

and they will be octogons...not squares :)
    edited November 2013

Irk, now I'm afraid I've brought something bad into my game even though I never use CC :? Bah, all the weird stuff the game can do makes me so twitchy lol! I'm literally afraid to save now :lol:

Ok, back to this, sorry for the detour! I'm glad that nothing bad can happen with the placefriezes :)

Edit - do your make your chimneys 1x1 or 1x2 big? I've found that 1x2 looks weird, yet the top of the chimney that will allow smokey does not fit very well inside a 1x1 -.-
    (Sorry for all my small-ish questions!)
    I do both...it just depends on how it looks. To be honest, my chimneys dont often function and are more for looks...cause I want then where they look beston the out side, not where they need to be onthe inside....so I tend to pull them apart with MOO cheat and place the interior portion where I want...and I dont worry if the two match up. I would make a horrible architect in real life...lol.
    edited November 2013
    thank you. off to try again

its a little crooked but at least its round.

edited November 2013
    Hello, Zoo Uers!

Ruthy gave us an awesome class AND a fun assignment to try. The "final exam" is to build Ruthy's Sim-self and her kitty (an appropriately named black cat called "Builder") a lovely Victorian.

Ruthy and Builder are on Media Fire, which means they will be exempt from the Studio culling that happens on the Sims site (don't you all agree with me that Ruthy's Studio should be exempt from size limitations?), so we can always download them.

Go here and click the button to download right into your launcher as always, it even installs automatically:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/rncdfwyum84h223/Ruthless.Sims3Pack

Now, Ruthy was nice and gave no due date for the final, but I have been there before. Anything without a due date is something we all "mean" to do, but we don't ever do!

I am going to suggest that this be

due December 14th.

That gives plenty of time and allows those of us in the U.S. to eat pumpkin pie and turkey next week and not sweat the fact that we can't build while celebrating the holiday with family.

When you get your project finished, I urge you to make a thread for it (with lots of photos) and then come back to this thread to give us the link to your homework thread. I will put all the links into the Blackcat Builders (student showcase) post so that we can all visit each other's threads.

If you are unsure of how to put photos into a thread, go to the Blackcat Builders post and scroll down to see the directions for how to do that.

Thanks to all of you for joining in our class, and thanks again to our EXCELLENT teacher who persevered through many trials and tribulations to bring us our class today. THREE CHEERS FOR RUTHLESS_KK!!!

oow785m
    edited November 2013
    I do both...it just depends on how it looks. To be honest, my chimneys dont often function and are more for looks...cause I want then where they look beston the out side, not where they need to be onthe inside....so I tend to pull them apart with MOO cheat and place the interior portion where I want...and I dont worry if the two match up. I would make a horrible architect in real life...lol.

This made me chuckle lol :lol: I think you'd make an excellent architect in my country - they tend not to learn *anything* about construction and only how to make a home look pretty :b You could just leave that issue to the engineers and draw your homes any way you'd like lol ;) (Not trying to belittle architects, I'd never do that as both my parents are architects lol, but rather the Danish Architectural Academy of today :P)
  • priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2013
    Sorry I haven't said Thank You Ruth!!! This is fabulous! I tend to get lost in the lesson, and just keep going... I have a Victorian, and it looks fab! Such easy to follow directions! :mrgreen:

Can't get waited to add Ruthy and Builder, and start designing them a home! :D :thumbup:

I had one little problem with my front porch. Every time I tried to add some foundation to add to the front porch, I kept getting the message "cannot level... um, something or other..." I kept trying to level the ground, but never could add to the foundation. Only there in the front. I guess I should have flattened my lot before I started?
    edited November 2013
    since i just dropped back in to zoo u today i want to make sure i understand the homework finish the house then post pictures. correct.
  • jenny0786jenny0786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited November 2013
    Just for clarifications purposes; just find a Victorian house plan and build it; then upload and share pictures right?

I hope I understood right; my brain is fried right now. Kids have been making it difficult to focus. But I love the little munchkins. LOL!

Thank you Ruthy for a WONDERFUL and very useful lesson :D You are an amazing builder and teacher!
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for a great class ruthless and Zoo! :D It was really easy to follow and understand and my next Victorian will be so much easier to build now, yay! :D The homework looks like so much fun, can't wait to dive into it ^^ Any particular traits or anything we should pay attention to (like adding a workstation for eccentric etc)?

And thanks for answering all my questions lol :oops:
    edited November 2013
    i agree with bamboo. now i know what a turret is . thank you zoo and ruthless.
    edited November 2013
    Ruthless, I have a question. This can be saved for later when you have the time but I was wondering about the foundation cheats? Is it something that would work for creating a double lay of foundation to make a Victorian with a slightly higher base/porch? I've looked at plenty with foundations that were only slightly higher instead of a wall or such.

Ok...now that I have time to breathe....here is the answer to this question. :) When you want a slightly higher foundation than the standard size ( I do this all the time) use the terrain sculpting tool and make a small hill. Smooth it out so you haev a decent surface to work with:

Screenshot-751.jpg

Usingthe terrain tool, find the highest or close to the highest spot onth e hill and draw a foundation out towards you. THe tool will use the starting point as the level for the entire foundation your draw.

Screenshot-753.jpg

Then add stairs and check to see if they come to the ground or if they make an indention like this:

Screenshot-756.jpg

IF that happens, flatten out the hill a little and try again. The goal is to have the stairs end level like this:

Screenshot-754.jpg

(note: if it doesnt bother you, youcan live with the bowl at the bottom of the stairs, but just know that if you try to add a floor tile, things will get wonky...so you will have to use terrain paint for the walkway.)

To add more foundation...aways start drawing from the inside of the foundation to the edges....that will keep the surface uniform.

Screenshot-760.jpg

I hope that helps answer your question? :)
    edited November 2013
    jenny0786 wrote:
    Just for clarifications purposes; just find a Victorian house plan and build it; then upload and share pictures right?

I hope I understood right; my brain is fried right now. Kids have been making it difficult to focus. But I love the little munchkins. LOL!

Thank you Ruthy for a WONDERFUL and very useful lesson :D You are an amazing builder and teacher!

I suggest that you DONT try to copy a house from a plan or a picture....it can become frustrating beacause proportions that look good in real life dont always work in Sim world. Instead, find a house that has a feature or element you like and try to make something that has the same feel...but make it your own. :)
    edited November 2013
    since i just dropped back in to zoo u today i want to make sure i understand the homework finish the house then post pictures. correct.

yes! And dont be afraid to change things up. " put your own stink on it" as we say in the south...hehe :D
    edited November 2013
    priscapup wrote:
    Sorry I haven't said Thank You Ruth!!! This is fabulous! I tend to get lost in the lesson, and just keep going... I have a Victorian, and it looks fab! Such easy to follow directions! :mrgreen:

Can't get waited to add Ruthy and Builder, and start designing them a home! :D :thumbup:

I had one little problem with my front porch. Every time I tried to add some foundation to add to the front porch, I kept getting the message "cannot level... um, something or other..." I kept trying to level the ground, but never could add to the foundation. Only there in the front. I guess I should have flattened my lot before I started?

That could be the case...but there is a work around for it. That way you dont have to start over.

When this happens, it will often still allow you to "pull" the foundation out. NOt draw it..but use the green drag/pull tool. So pull out the whole thing as far as you might need and then cut away the parts you dont need.

Does that make sense?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top