Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course 12: Victorians 101--Guest Professor: ruthless_kk! Link to Lesson in Post One!

Comments

• Options
    friendsfan36friendsfan36 Posts: 6,715 New Member
    edited November 2013
    i just got in game. sims can be stuborn.
  • Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2013
    Holy Carp, Batman! I must have looked at the time at the beginning of the thread wrong! I thought the 2:00PM CST was Central Time, which would mean 4PM here... not even 3 yet! I was gonna miss out completely!

Y'all trying to have class without me on the sly, just because I don't get colds or flus? :hunf:
  • Options
    cassandrastryffecassandrastryffe Posts: 418 Member
    edited November 2013
    ruthless_kk, Don't worry so much! The pics are lovely and the info isn't going anywhere! We can wait for you. And if it gets too late or too early, your class thread will still be HERE. So we can still learn!

Thank you for teaching us! Some of us are total dunces when it comes to building! (speaking only for myself) :-)
    FREE lvl 65 Star Wars The old Republic Character and a huge bundle of free stuff! http://www.swtor.com/r/fYdvmz
  • Options
    BambooEaterrrBambooEaterrr Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited November 2013
    I've starting following the curse on the blog, but I don't see anything about lot size?
    Edit: wait, is there more info coming in the thread? In that case I'll wait and do some other sim stuff meanwhile lol :)

I hope you feel better soon AIRIS6962! The flu seems to be going around everywhere in the Western world lol, everyone's either sick or was just sick, myself and family included. How is it even possible that so many people in Europe and the States gets weird flus and colds at the same time? :shock:
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited November 2013
    I've starting following the curse on the blog, but I don't see anything about lot size?
    Edit: wait, is there more info coming in the thread? In that case I'll wait and do some other sim stuff meanwhile lol :)

I hope you feel better soon AIRIS6962! The flu seems to be going around everywhere in the Western world lol, everyone's either sick or was just sick, myself and family included. How is it even possible that so many people in Europe and the States gets weird flus and colds at the same time? :shock:

Lot size is up to you. I would suggest a 30x30 or 40x40 :)
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Lot size is up to you. I would suggest a 30x30 or 40x40 :)

Thanks for answering despite of the internet trouble, 40x40 was what I had thought of using, so that's great :D
  • Options
    suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi, everyone! I am here. Are we starting the lesson through the blog?
    h2xmsbl]
  • Options
    Bookworm742Bookworm742 Posts: 4,068 Member
    edited November 2013
    Just for the record...telling people to "google Victorian house" is a very very very bad idea...*dragging myself back out of the rabbit hole of pretty* :lol::lol: but...making some progress reading the lesson now! And I've got my game all loaded up and ready to start building as I'm reading. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hi SUe! yes....please start through the blog. I am working on adding the info here too but it is taking time because I have to keep resetting my router every few minutes. :(

Post your questions here and I will keep an eye open for them.

Once again, guys....I apologize. I hate that this is getting off to sucha rough start.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    its ok ruthless. you have a whole class of excited students. who are very paitent.
  • Options
    AshleykaymayAshleykaymay Posts: 1,524 Member
    edited November 2013
    Just for the record...telling people to "google Victorian house" is a very very very bad idea...*dragging myself back out of the rabbit hole of pretty* :lol::lol: but...making some progress reading the lesson now! And I've got my game all loaded up and ready to start building as I'm reading. :mrgreen:

That was a mistake. I do it WAY too much. :lol:

I'm here full time now. Doctor who got really good and between the laughter and the tears, I forgot about the lesson for a minute.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    LOL Bookie! I always get lost when looking up pics of Victorian homes too :lol: Or just when I'm looking through my books about them, there's too much detail to stop looking! :b
    For once I actually don't feel lost when starting a ZOO U course lol, the others I did I knew nothing about that particular subject, but I'm finding out that the Victorians I've been building aren't too far off from this, so yay! Makes it a bit easier on my poor brain :P
    Also, the idea of not caring about foundation yet makes things so much easier, it's a brilliant idea lol :P
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    i looked at the house from full house a few weeks ago. also a bad idea i knew i had no skills to build it. its a victorian.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Also, the idea of not caring about foundation yet makes things so much easier, it's a brilliant idea lol :P [/color]

Yes...think of it like cutting out cookie dough...you can clean off the edges once you get the shape set. Saves time in the long run :)
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited November 2013
    GREAT LESSON! I just read it all on your blog and it is excellent, Ruthy!

I definitely want to put it on the course thread. After the class time is over, I will change all the "live" information on the thread and put a link to the post where the lesson actually sits in this thread.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR DOING THIS!!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Also, the idea of not caring about foundation yet makes things so much easier, it's a brilliant idea lol :P [/color]

Yes...think of it like cutting out cookie dough...you can clean off the edges once you get the shape set. Saves time in the long run :)

That makes so much sense! It took me forever to decide on a shape for the Victorian farmhouse I'm building lol, but both the puzzle and cookie dough idea really will cut a lot of time off the next time :D
  • Options
    AshleykaymayAshleykaymay Posts: 1,524 Member
    edited November 2013
    Ruthless, I have a question. This can be saved for later when you have the time but I was wondering about the foundation cheats? Is it something that would work for creating a double lay of foundation to make a Victorian with a slightly higher base/porch? I've looked at plenty with foundations that were only slightly higher instead of a wall or such.
  • Options
    suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi SUe! yes....please start through the blog. I am working on adding the info here too but it is taking time because I have to keep resetting my router every few minutes. :(

Post your questions here and I will keep an eye open for them.

Once again, guys....I apologize. I hate that this is getting off to sucha rough start.

Thanks, Ruthy -- it's a great lesson and I can't wait to sink my teeth into it and try it out.

No worries about your technical issues! It happens to all of us.

We all appreciate the time you took to put this together.

{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}

Now, put your feet up and have a glass of wine!
    h2xmsbl]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Ruthless, I have a question. This can be saved for later when you have the time but I was wondering about the foundation cheats? Is it something that would work for creating a double lay of foundation to make a Victorian with a slightly higher base/porch? I've looked at plenty with foundations that were only slightly higher instead of a wall or such.

The easiest way to get a slightly higher foundation is to build a hill and draw the foundation on from there...it involves a little push and pull to get the right height...but it doesnt create the routing issues that using other cheats can cause.

After I finish loading the rest of the class info, I will make a few illustrations to show you what I am talking about :)
  • Options
    samj6samj6 Posts: 750 Member
    edited November 2013
    Yay, I'm here :D

I've just started on a 30x30 lot, thanks for doing this awesome tutorial Ruth :D
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hmm... I'm having some issues with the main roofing section. When adding the small room section behind the first turret - to get the roof right and like you showed it, the main section roof will need to go so far that it covers the small section between the turret and the main section which ends up looking really weird - like this:

[img]http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s543/BambooEaterrr/abd5cbd4-2f32-4976-99fe-dd792724e7be_zps3f9e8b8a.jpg?t=1385243811 "width=600"[/img]

I can't get the roof to look like it does in your picture without the small back part looking weird.

Did that make any sense?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hmm... I'm having some issues with the main roofing section. When adding the small room section behind the first turret - to get the roof right and like you showed it, the main section roof will need to go so far that it covers the small section between the turret and the main section which ends up looking really weird - like this:

[img]http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s543/BambooEaterrr/abd5cbd4-2f32-4976-99fe-dd792724e7be_zps3f9e8b8a.jpg?t=1385243811 "width=600"[/img]

I can't get the roof to look like it does in your picture without the small back part looking weird.

Did that make any sense?

Yes..:D You are making the main section too wide...dont extend it that far. Dont let it cut into the turret so much and then use a different section for the part behind the turret that needs covering.....like this:

20.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I was thinking that was the issue, but I just couldn't get it to be the right size - after I saw your answer I tried again and when it didn't work, realized that I should probably use the TALL gable roof :lol: That did the trick ;)

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    hope i can stay til the end of class. my computer begs for more memory even though i try and keep things cleared.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Ok....Zoo.....if you would like to update the thread info to note that the whole class is on page 8 of this thread, that would be great!

I will be here ( off and on...literally..since the internet is still being spotty) for the next few hours to take questions and I will also be popping back in daily as well.

Thank you all for your patience. If I didnt have to go shopping later, I would so be pouring a glass of wine right about now...hehe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top