Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Into the Future+ Age freeze potion?

In Generations, we got the lifetime wish, age freeze potion, which made your sim immortal, there was also the immortal lifetime wish for Vampires. This begs the question, if our sim becomes immortal, can they meet their future selves in ITF?

Comments

• GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited October 2013
    niac1234 wrote:
    In Generations, we got the lifetime wish, age freeze potion, which made your sim immortal, there was also the immortal lifetime wish for Vampires. This begs the question, if our sim becomes immortal, can they meet their future selves in ITF?

I think not. Because they are not in past, they are in future.
    So older version of them can not be in future. They must been in present first.
  • amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    edited October 2013
    I don't know how EA plans to handle this potentially paradoxical situation.

But, technically, your sim cannot ever go into HIS or HER future, because once there, the future has become now. So, while they can go to a future place and see how things might turn out, once they are actually there, they are simply in a different part of their own personal now.

Think of it this way: Your sim stands in the middle of a kaleidoscope. It can turn however you want, making all new patterns. But your sim, once they leave center to "land" on one of the patterns, will then lock that pattern. As long as they are there, the pattern remains. Now, if the sim goes back to center, they can again turn the kaleidoscope to make a different pattern. But the sim has to leave center to lock in the different pattern. Regardless of where the sim goes, or what pattern they lock, the sim is always in their own personal now. Their location may change, but their time doesn't change. They are always in now.

This is why the concept of time travel doesn't work, unless you want to have multiple realities, each based on the particular person doing the time travel -- but then, you couldn't ever find your way back to where you left, because each person would have changed it in so many ways that it wouldn't ever be the same as it once was.

The ONLY way changing time would work (and any glimpse of the future would automatically change time, because if you look at what might be, that changes your response to it, thereby changing time) is if just ONE individual had the ability to go to center and spin new things, and only ONE individual could lock in a particular change, making only ONE valid future/past relationship time line. Then that individual could go anywhere in time, making changes anywhere on the continuum, and still go back to the same exact center point where they started. In that way, the time line would be safe, and everything would happen around the individual but not change anyone or anything else, EXCEPT in direct relation to that one individual. So in this way, time could be changed at will, calculated to domino reliably into the pattern of change dictated by the whim of that individual.

Of course, the calculations necessary to reliably domino all the HUGE sets of ramifications for every single little part of an overall change would be so great that only a god could do it ... not to mention the energy required for something like that, or the distance you would have to be outside the time line to find the right center for making the kaleidoscope of changes while calculating to see which possible future would be advantageous ... but, hey, this is the sims. So suspend disbelief and enjoy however EA has decided it should work -- just don't expect it to necessarily be logical. LOL
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited October 2013
    This discussion reminds me of a conversation between The Doctor and Jack Harkness in an episode of Doctor Who, when Jack is talking about being immortal:

The Doctor: Do you want to die?
    Jack: This one's a little stuck.
    The Doctor: Jack.
    Jack: I thought I did. I don't know. But this lot—you see them out here surviving. And that's fantastic!
    The Doctor: You might be out there somewhere.
    Jack: I could go meet myself.
    The Doctor: Well. The only man you're ever going to be happy with.
    Jack: This new regeneration, it's kinda cheeky!

8)

(I still want a Captain Jack Harkness Sim to play in ITF!)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited October 2013
    amjoie wrote:
    I don't know how EA plans to handle this potentially paradoxical situation.

But, technically, your sim cannot ever go into HIS or HER future, because once there, the future has become now. So, while they can go to a future place and see how things might turn out, once they are actually there, they are simply in a different part of their own personal now.

Think of it this way: Your sim stands in the middle of a kaleidoscope. It can turn however you want, making all new patterns. But your sim, once they leave center to "land" on one of the patterns, will then lock that pattern. As long as they are there, the pattern remains. Now, if the sim goes back to center, they can again turn the kaleidoscope to make a different pattern. But the sim has to leave center to lock in the different pattern. Regardless of where the sim goes, or what pattern they lock, the sim is always in their own personal now. Their location may change, but their time doesn't change. They are always in now.

This is why the concept of time travel doesn't work, unless you want to have multiple realities, each based on the particular person doing the time travel -- but then, you couldn't ever find your way back to where you left, because each person would have changed it in so many ways that it wouldn't ever be the same as it once was.

The ONLY way changing time would work (and any glimpse of the future would automatically change time, because if you look at what might be, that changes your response to it, thereby changing time) is if just ONE individual had the ability to go to center and spin new things, and only ONE individual could lock in a particular change, making only ONE valid future/past relationship time line. Then that individual could go anywhere in time, making changes anywhere on the continuum, and still go back to the same exact center point where they started. In that way, the time line would be safe, and everything would happen around the individual but not change anyone or anything else, EXCEPT in direct relation to that one individual. So in this way, time could be changed at will, calculated to domino reliably into the pattern of change dictated by the whim of that individual.

Of course, the calculations necessary to reliably domino all the HUGE sets of ramifications for every single little part of an overall change would be so great that only a god could do it ... not to mention the energy required for something like that, or the distance you would have to be outside the time line to find the right center for making the kaleidoscope of changes while calculating to see which possible future would be advantageous ... but, hey, this is the sims. So suspend disbelief and enjoy however EA has decided it should work -- just don't expect it to necessarily be logical. LOL

:lol: Oh I know of the whole conundrum that arises with time travel and why it is physically impossible. I never expected the sims to be logical about it, I just want an answer.
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited October 2013
    I truly doubt EA will have provided for us to meet our future selves in the future. No such conundrums for EA. We can meet our future descendants and interact with them, but not ourselves. I just wish the game would stop randomly producing copies of my sim. Currently, I am playing in a world that has an identical twin to my sim with the same name even. :lol::lol::lol:

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited October 2013
    From a technical point of view (and that's what we're dealing with here) no.
    This space is for rent.
  • DaletheSimDaletheSim Posts: 430 New Member
    edited October 2013
    I'll let you know on the 22nd because I have a Sim with both those lifetime wishes. I was kinda wondering about that myself. I'm sure the answer is no unless it's a bug. I've had the bug where the game keep cloning your Sim and then the clone gets old and for no reason your Sim gets old.

There are many things that we as Simmers do that EA has not thought about. These things are what cause bugs, to some degree, because EA doesn't test the game with all the expansion packs and stuff packs installed, like they should, so they don't have the bugs in testing.

Just having a Sim live forever is something I think they never thought about because every time there is a patch I get new bugs, just on this one couple. Different bugs than the rest of the game. My Sim was created in Late Night and married a NPC and they have lived forever through all expansions since. I don't think this was envisioned by the devs. I don't know anyone else who plays the game like this. I've never heard of it from anyone else on the forums.

If you read this and have played one or more Sim like this please let me know. Would love to hear about it.
  • amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    edited October 2013
    Mylita wrote:
    I truly doubt EA will have provided for us to meet our future selves in the future. No such conundrums for EA. We can meet our future descendants and interact with them, but not ourselves. I just wish the game would stop randomly producing copies of my sim. Currently, I am playing in a world that has an identical twin to my sim with the same name even. :lol::lol::lol:

Mylita

That is seriously not a good thing. Either remove that copy of your sim, or change the name, hair, and clothes of one of them (plus, if you can, use a reward to change their traits, slightly) -- because if you don't, the game will get confused and throw errors which could eventually corrupt your game.

Do you have your sim in the sim bin? That is one way that the game will make doppelgangers. Export your sims and save the exports as backups of your sims. But only put your sims in the bin for a short time, as needed, and then export and remove them.
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited October 2013
    Not to worry, I kill off my sims after I've played them for 10 - 12 human hours and create a new sim. I just love creating new sims. The game never gets the chance to kill off my sim. They don't even age up... :lol: :twisted: :lol:

I either clone my sim and take the baby into cas to change its looks or have my sim adopt and kill off my original sim, thus the family line goes on. (Before I kill my original sim off, I age the baby up to young adult.) I did try changing the name of the identical sim, using a mod to do so. But it is still unnerving to see the identical sim live on even after I've killed my sim off.

Mylita

edit to add: So far I haven't seen any errors that I could track to the existence of a doppelganger, but I will keep an eye out for that.
    No friends requests, please.