Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is anyone listening?

I've just read this quote:

"Until we have proof about how the well the game plays, customisation isn't something that's going to get too many gamers excited or interested, let alone pre-ordering."

You can find it here: http://www.gameskinny.com/42ncm/eurogamer-expo-2013-why-customisation-in-the-sims-4-isnt-big-news

I'm not totally sure who said it but it seems like a dev team member. Please correct me if I'm wrong, it may just be the author's opinion. If it was then it appears we aren't being listened to because the loss of CASt is a dealbreaker for many and customization is a huge plus for builders and designers like me. In fact its my second priority after an open world.

What do you all think of this quote?

Comments

• Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited October 2013
    AbJo129 wrote:
    I've just read this quote:

"Until we have proof about how the well the game plays, customisation isn't something that's going to get too many gamers excited or interested, let alone pre-ordering."

You can find it here: http://www.gameskinny.com/42ncm/eurogamer-expo-2013-why-customisation-in-the-sims-4-isnt-big-news

I'm not totally sure who said it but it seems like a dev team member. Please correct me if I'm wrong, it may just be the author's opinion. If it was then it appears we aren't being listened to because the loss of CASt is a dealbreaker for many and customization is a huge plus for builders and designers like me. In fact its my second priority after an open world.

What do you all think of this quote?

Assuming it's from an actual developer working on the game (big assumption), then it sounds like more spin to me. He's pulling a Ben Kenobi: <waves hand> "CASt is not the feature you're looking for.." You know, like the whole 'Sims look the way they do because we didn't want to hit Uncanny Valley territory'.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited October 2013
    They certainly aren't speaking for me. :P
    Pre-ordering is the furthest thing from mind. I am considering jumping in much later for sales and combo packs. Skipping it altogether is also on the table.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited October 2013
    I put very little stock in an article that appears to quote someone but doesn't reference the source of the quote.

Some of the things I've read about game customization,that were actual quotes, are things like...we're working on it...we aren't ready to comment....we don't know yet.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    edited October 2013

The quote is from the reviewer(s).

They are basically saying that they new Create-A-Sim (pulling pulling body parts into shape) and new house-building options are all very well - but it is not going to sell The Sims 4. They are basically saying, everyone wants to see more game-play to be able to decide.

On a side note: I would expect that the new Create-A-Sim will be available prior to The Sims 4 release date - so everyone can create the Sims they want to use in The Sims 4, prior to release. I think they did this with TS3 Pets.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    CK213 wrote:
    They certainly aren't speaking for me. :P
    Pre-ordering is the furthest thing from mind. I am considering jumping in much later for sales and combo packs. Skipping it altogether is also on the table.

Same. The hundreds of saved dollars would not make me sad in the least.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    plopppo wrote:

The quote is from the reviewer(s).

They are basically saying that they new Create-A-Sim (pulling pulling body parts into shape) and new house-building options are all very well - but it is not going to sell The Sims 4. They are basically saying, everyone wants to see more game-play to be able to decide.

On a side note: I would expect that the new Create-A-Sim will be available prior to The Sims 4 release date - so everyone can create the Sims they want to use in The Sims 4, prior to release. I think they did this with TS3 Pets.

Did the writer refer to himself in the 3rd person by putting his own comments in quotes? LOL.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It's common-place for games review to contain quotes from things they have said in the review - basically to high-light the opinion.

Nothing new here.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    plopppo wrote:
    It's common-place for games review to contain quotes from things they have said in the review - basically to high-light the opinion.

Nothing new here.

Usually I see those quotes used to refer to what the writer observed, what he reviewed. This guy is doing nothing but speculating on the unobserved, and then referring to his speculation in such a way that is makes it look like it came from actual observation. He's not giving an opinion on the game, but making assumptions that he fails to at all back up with anything other than his own writing. He quotes his own baseless conclusion, as if it's something he observed when reviewing the game. In short, it must be true, because he read it somewhere: nevermind the fact that HE is the one who wrote it down in the first place.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It's more of a preview/impressions article - but they are quoting themselves. The large quote on the page is from the article itself. They are just making a statement that what EA has allowed to be shown of TS4 - ie customisation - is not (in the article writer's opinion) going to sell the game as they think people want to see more game-play.

It's normal for games reviews/previews/articles etc, to do this - they quote themselves.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The way he did it just struck me as odd, as if his opinion were an observable fact that he's highlighting.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited October 2013
    I love this :!: I am reading a nice sensible discussion about something. A big :thumbup: to you all.

Now I'll go click the link and see what all it says.

Edited after reading article. I too feel he is just highlighting his opinion same as it appears he highlighted his opinion in other places in the article.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    MommylandMommyland Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited October 2013
    Are they listening who knows. From what they have said and what we have seen no one knows what is being done behind the scenes. I think they are just dripping 'cool' stuff out and not near everything. The game isn't done as of this point.

They may be listening to what we as players are saying and want out of the game and doing what they can to implement them in the game just not saying anything about it. And perhaps do to deadlines they may not get everything we want at first. I also think that when you talk to one that person may not be in the department of to say yes or no since I am sure not all the programers know what the other programers/departments are working on. They may have the general idea but probably not everything.

I have preordered, part of my need for all things sims maybe. Also the upgrade option from gamestop if you preorder it. I have several things I want to see before deciding that yes I will get it. I figure to save it for $5 to get everything is better for me then waiting and not getting everything.
  • Options
    AnticipationAnticipation Posts: 90 Member
    edited October 2013
    This review actually sums up how I am feeling pretty closely. Customization is icing for me, gameplay is the cake.

The players are not asking for one thing, a consensus on what Sims 4 should be does not exist. It makes no sense that the reviewer speaks on behalf of all players, as not all players agree, but he does represent the opinion of a portion of the players, including myself.
  • Options
    TheDivaGirl02TheDivaGirl02 Posts: 142 Member
    edited October 2013
    ALL I'M ASKING FOR IS TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE WALL COLORS AND HAIR COLORS AND NOT STICK WITH THE CHOICES THEY WANT US TO STICK WITH. IF THAT ISN'T IN TS4, NO SIMS 4 FOR ME. SORRY.. Sorry for caps

• Options
    ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited October 2013
    In my opinion the article appears a bit biased. You can't come into this forum without hearing the other half of the story; so many people are understandably upset over the loss of CASt, because for them that is what they loved about Sims3. For them, THAT is their gameplay style.

• Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2013
    In my opinion the article appears a bit biased. You can't come into this forum without hearing the other half of the story; so many people are understandably upset over the loss of CASt, because for them that is what they loved about Sims3. For them, THAT is their gameplay style.

I'm going to be blunt: In terms of the actual definition of gameplay for video games in what is actually looked at by ratings industries and reviews and so on... that style is not an acceptable style of gameplay. As far as most of the video game industry is concerned, those people are not playing the game; they're using it as a 3D modeling program.

So, to be blunt... those people are, really, not considered a legitimate group of video game players by the video game industry. EA is part of that industry... and EA has helped set that standard.

In terms of discussion of gameplay... there is no other side of the story than the one the article presented.

I don't like it either... but as far as EA is concerned, those people can go buy a 3D modeling program if that is all they are going to use a game for. And they will find they get more bang for their buck if they do it that way.
  • Options
    ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited October 2013

I'm going to be blunt: In terms of the actual definition of gameplay for video games in what is actually looked at by ratings industries and reviews and so on... that style is not an acceptable style of gameplay. As far as most of the video game industry is concerned, those people are not playing the game; they're using it as a 3D modeling program.

So, to be blunt... those people are, really, not considered a legitimate group of video game players by the video game industry. EA is part of that industry... and EA has helped set that standard.

In terms of discussion of gameplay... there is no other side of the story than the one the article presented.

I don't like it either... but as far as EA is concerned, those people can go buy a 3D modeling program if that is all they are going to use a game for. And they will find they get more bang for their buck if they do it that way.

While I'm glad you're just being blunt rather than sharp edged sword slicing through my juggler, you missed the part where I stated that customization was "their" idea of gameplay. I didn't say it was mine or that I agreed/disagreed either way. I was just empathizing with those who feel Sims4 has got to be an ultimate fail due to that removal.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

While I'm glad you're just being blunt rather than sharp edged sword slicing through my juggler, you missed the part where I stated that customization was "their" idea of gameplay. I didn't say it was mine or that I agreed/disagreed either way. I was just empathizing with those who feel Sims4 has got to be an ultimate fail due to that removal.

I apologize; I misread.

I sympathize with them too. A lot of fun I have with Sims 3 is going in and redecorating EA homes. And... I'm not certain if doing it in Sims 4 will be as satisfying.
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited October 2013
    I'm not sure if I want customization or not.

I think I want it for objects and maybe hair, but nothing else. I mainly want it for objects because then I use different objects in a room without worrying about whether they match. I want it for hair because I don't want to have to download Blonde, Burnett and Redhead files separately. (Although, it would probably take up the same amount of harddrive space.)

The customization for the clothes tends to be disappointing.

Here's an example:
    Thumbnail_300x300.png

I'd like to do something like this with it:

d7f6acb3e49d1bde031873f9fa7ac423.jpg

But, because the inside skirt is connected to every other layer of the outside skirt its impossible. I personally find that a poor design.

Plus, I think customization has made community artists think that we don't need them, but we do. By the end of s2 we had so much amazing stuff that I couldn't believe it, but the CC for s3 is pretty much lackluster.

Furthermore, it was nice in s2 just pick out the clothes without have to change every detail about them.

It was also easier to find cool skins that gave s2 a lot of variety.

• Options
    FrogPrinceFrogPrince Posts: 485 Member
    edited October 2013

You certainly are being blunt. But perhaps there is a reason why so many players turn to the Sims instead of a 3D modeling programme. If you check out these programs(DAS is an example), the initial program may be free but it costs an arm and leg to buy additional material. After you model your creation, you put them into a scene. From what I have seen, there appears to be no game play. I think most Simmers put their creations into the game to see how they look and work even if they don't seriously play the game. The Sims games allows them to do that while a modeling programme does not!
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited October 2013
    Game play is the cake for me too.
    Yes I like style, but what good is a good house, well decorated, awesome dressed sim, if the game play stinks
    I just read a neat article from someone who played with the sims4 and saw all the things that the build mode can do, I love it. Can't wait to get it.
    I am not worried about pre ordering as I have never pre ordered and have all the games.
    I am not worried about the game, I have high expectations that it is going to be great.
    Have a great simming game.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    AbJo129AbJo129 Posts: 376 Member
    edited October 2013
    Evalen wrote:
    Yes I like style, but what good is a good house, well decorated, awesome dressed sim, if the game play stinks

At the moment, imo, ts3 gameplay is not as good as the build/buy and customization. What I'm looking for in ts4 is gameplay that is new and exciting that customization will be just icing. At the moment though, a new emotions system doesn't look quite cake-y enough for me.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited October 2013
    AbJo129 wrote:
    Evalen wrote:

At the moment, imo, ts3 gameplay is not as good as the build/buy and customization. What I'm looking for in ts4 is gameplay that is new and exciting that customization will be just icing. At the moment though, a new emotions system doesn't look quite cake-y enough for me.

Well that is only one part of the sims4, emotions, the game has a long way to go, I am excited to see more of what is in the game as far as game play offers. style would be nice, but I prefer to see more on game play then style.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    FrogPrince wrote:
    You certainly are being blunt. But perhaps there is a reason why so many players turn to the Sims instead of a 3D modeling programme. If you check out these programs(DAS is an example), the initial program may be free but it costs an arm and leg to buy additional material. After you model your creation, you put them into a scene. From what I have seen, there appears to be no game play. I think most Simmers put their creations into the game to see how they look and work even if they don't seriously play the game. The Sims games allows them to do that while a modeling programme does not!

Sims 3 additional material runs, grand total, about $1000. And that's assuming you get mods and CC free instead of paying for those as well. So, it's not exactly cheap either.

And unfortunately, you can convince me as much as you want (considering I actually do house remodels a lot, I don't require much convincing), but that won't change anything about what will happen with Sims 4. In the grand scheme of things... I don't matter. I'm just another player. The people you need to convince are the higher-ups in EA.

Good luck, and may your attempt find success.