Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More household things

I'll hope they have also thought about a washing machine, ironing board, vacuum cleaner, etc. which are not there in part 1, 2 or 3. I prefer realistic things in the game than a voodoo doll or a rocket.

Can anybody tell me if there are more housholding things in the Sims 4?

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    edited October 2013
    Actually washers and dryers did come in the Sims 3 game, they were introduced with the Ambitions expansion pack and are also in the store along in the Town Life stuff pack. And so does the High End Loft stuff pack.

You can buy and use the washer and dryer without the Ambitions ep. They are in the build/buy mode and is under large appliances.

http://store.thesims3.com/productList.html?scategoryId=11538#

You can also buy them in the sets they come with.
    http://store.thesims3.com/setsProductListing.html?catalogId=10143&categoryId=11488&scategoryId=12745&pcategoryId=12859&ppcategoryId=12745
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited October 2013
    marciaatje wrote:
    I'll hope they have also thought about a washing machine, ironing board, vacuum cleaner, etc. which are not there in part 1, 2 or 3. I prefer realistic things in the game than a voodoo doll or a rocket.

Can anybody tell me if there are more housholding things in the Sims 4?

We do have washing machines and dryers in sime3, vacuuming would be neat, Ironing, I hate to iron, so I don't know but I do like more realistic things rather then voodoo dolls or rockets, as I do not play with those things, I like Generation challenges. My Sims like to fish, swim, collect things, I like them to have fun, so all the fun stuff for them to do would be nice also. Love houseboats, hope they have that in the Sims 4. Love the realistic things about weather, make for a nice world, love to see it seasons change, but I guess we want so much in the Sims 4 base game. I know it will be fun anyway.
  • AbJo129AbJo129 Posts: 376 Member
    edited October 2013
    Walk-in wardrobe, built-in closets, lawnmower, thicker rugs, cushions to put on sofas, interactive hat / coat stands and shoe cupboards, communal showers, light switches, radiators, ceiling fans, curtains/blinds that open and close, kingsize beds, tennis courts, skipping/jump rope and decorative wooden beams- I mean to name but a few ..
  • GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited October 2013
    I'd love to see a lot more of these things, with animations. As much as I like decor, if something normally would have an actual function in life besides being a statue or a vase, I think it ought to also have animations. Vacuums and ironing would be too cute. Sewing machines and lawnmowers would make my day~
  • Claire17Claire17 Posts: 655 Member
    edited October 2013
    I'd love all the suggestions on the thread - as long as they're optional.

One thing I love about the sims is you can play it 'your' way - so whilst I tend to use the more realistic elements and ignore the fantasy aspect, there are loads of players who prefer to play the other way round and probably wouldn't want to waste time vacuuming :-)
  • ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited October 2013
    well the vacuum could work like the washing machine. If its not on your lot then you don't have to use it.But it would be so cool!
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2013
    To be honest, I can't agree.

A lot of the complaints about Sims 3 was that it was boring. One of the most complained about items as being boring? Laundry. The most? Teaching teenagers how to drive (in fact, there are people who avoid the Generations EP because of this and the entire group of people who asked for it refuse to defend it).

Also, this is not a realistic game series. Just take one look at the fact that Sims 3, alone, has an entire EP devoted to magical creatures and another one devoted to time travel. And those are not even the most unrealistic EPs of the game in terms of the unrealistic items added.
    edited October 2013

A lot of the complaints about Sims 3 was that it was boring. One of the most complained about items as being boring? Laundry. The most? Teaching teenagers how to drive (in fact, there are people who avoid the Generations EP because of this and the entire group of people who asked for it refuse to defend it).

Also, this is not a realistic game series. Just take one look at the fact that Sims 3, alone, has an entire EP devoted to magical creatures and another one devoted to time travel. And those are not even the most unrealistic EPs of the game in terms of the unrealistic items added.

Which is why it should be optional.

The EPs you mention are a red herring - for all the supernatural EPs, there are was also Generations, pets and Seasons EPs which bring more realism to the sims games. That's the joy of the sims, there's something for everyone.
    edited October 2013
    Claire17 wrote:

The EPs you mention are a red herring - for all the supernatural EPs, there are was also Generations, pets and Seasons EPs which bring more realism to the sims games. That's the joy of the sims, there's something for everyone.

Generations introduced the Imaginary Friend and potions that could do things such as turn you into a ghost. Oh, and the much-maligned teenage driving lessons.

Pets introduced unicorns.

Seasons brought back aliens. And then there's what the haunted house can do to sims...

Wanna try again on the red herring argument? Because so far, the evidence doesn't support it.

As for the idea it's optional... please remember what company we're talking about. This is the same company where online being "optional" in Mass Effect 3 meant "you either do the online or you'll never see the good ending." This is the same company that stated the celebrity system in Late Night would be optional... and then the EP came out and we learned otherwise.

In short, arguing this should be or will be optional is not a valid argument because EA doesn't actually understand what "optional" actually means.
    edited October 2013
    Claire17 wrote:

Generations introduced the Imaginary Friend and potions that could do things such as turn you into a ghost. Oh, and the much-maligned teenage driving lessons.

Seasons brought back aliens. And then there's what the haunted house can do to sims...

Wanna try again on the red herring argument? Because so far, the evidence doesn't support it.

As for the idea it's optional... please remember what company we're talking about. This is the same company where online being "optional" in Mass Effect 3 meant "you either do the online or you'll never see the good ending." This is the same company that stated the celebrity system in Late Night would be optional... and then the EP came out and we learned otherwise.

In short, arguing this should be or will be optional is not a valid argument because EA doesn't actually understand what "optional" actually means.

it is fairly optional - there are check boxes and everything (surely you've played the sims and know this :-0)

And I don't know about you sweetie, but I hate the supernatural aspect of sims games but manage to play without it messing up too much.
    edited October 2013
    Claire17 wrote:
    Claire17 wrote:

it is fairly optional - there are check boxes and everything (surely you've played the sims and know this :-0)

And I don't know about you sweetie, but I hate the supernatural aspect of sims games but manage to play without it messing up too much.

There are check boxes now... and those required over a year of complaints to get. So that doesn't make arguing it should be optional legitimate.

When Late Night was released, there was no check box at all.

I love the supernatural aspect, actually. But, this isn't about what you or I love... this is about what the game is and what would make it more fun. And based on player complaints, this thread is not on that list. Nor would be a town flooded with supernaturals, as I would like.
    edited October 2013

There are check boxes now... and those required over a year of complaints to get. So that doesn't make arguing it should be optional legitimate.

I love the supernatural aspect, actually. But, this isn't about what you or I love... this is about what the game is and what would make it more fun. And based on player complaints, this thread is not on that list. Nor would be a town flooded with supernaturals, as I would like.

I may be putting too much faith in EA, but assumed that after the wailing and moaning for check boxes in the sims3 they wouldn't even consider leaving them out of the sim4.

Not sure about who does / doesn't want realistic aspects - before laundry arrived there were dozens of threads asking for it (as there were asking for supernatural aspects too) and if you go on ideas and feedback section there are always threads wanting lawn mowers, more realistic cooking etc so I always assumed that a significant proportion of people enjoy the more realistic content (but this could just be because it fits with my world view :-))
    edited October 2013
    Claire17 wrote:

I may be putting too much faith in EA, but assumed that after the wailing and moaning for check boxes in the sims3 they wouldn't even consider leaving them out of the sim4.

Not sure about who does / doesn't want realistic aspects - before laundry arrived there were dozens of threads asking for it (as there were asking for supernatural aspects too) and if you go on ideas and feedback section there are always threads wanting lawn mowers, more realistic cooking etc so I always assumed that a significant proportion of people enjoy the more realistic content (but this could just be because it fits with my world view :-))

Trust me, you are putting too much faith in EA. These are the last times that faith wasn't rewarded that I remember:

1. Sims 4 would have CASt.
    2. EA would listening to the community and not put SimCity as entirely online.
    3. EA would not make online a requirement in Mass Effect 3.
    4. EA would not screw up Simport (a few of us even told a guru they were wrong to say they wouldn't; the proof we knew more about what we were talking about than the guru did is found in one of the patches).
    5. EA wouldn't add online features to Sims 3 in the first place.

There is a portion of the community that loves it, but... For every person who's loved it, there's been three complaints that I have seen. If that ratio holds true for the entire fanbase and not just the tiny portion that posts here... then most players hate it.

Ironically, this does mean I am actually opposing a couple items I like from that list (laundry I actually did like, as it was a nice break from doing whatever else they were doing that could be relaxing, and I've wanted to see maids actually vacuum for awhile now).

Now, if it turns out the majority of the fanbase actually does like it... well, then I'll change my stance. It's no big deal; I'm wanting a good game that is fun for a lot of people, so I know I will have to make a couple of sacrifices.
  • MajinKitty230MajinKitty230 Posts: 92 Member
    edited October 2013
    There should be a sort of skill thing for lawn mowing at least, no ones good at the first try if you think about it. Maybe when they start they can make the grass uneven or get a rock stuck in the machine but as the skill goes up it could be less of a chance?
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited October 2013
    I feel this is very much a realistic (as in simulating aspects of real/domestic life) game series. It's based on human like (not angels, not dragons, not dwarves) beings, it has children,old people, aging, dying, two genders, cars, work, yards, meals, marriage (straight/gay), going trick-or-treating, using cellphones, taking pictures, watching tv (and multiple channels you can actually watch: my daughter likes scary tv), holding down a job (promotions, getting fired), paying bills, consequences for not paying them...the list goes on. Just because the game has supernatural elements doesn't mean the supernatural/unrealistic is its focus. Supernatural elements are included because they capture the imagination of real people, people who want it (or think it should be) part of their real lives, or at least that of their sim's lives. As for the haunted house in Seasons being somehow fantasy/supernatural: I go to a 'haunted maze' in a cornfield on Halloween. That is a very 'real like' type attraction, manned not by ghosts, but by people.

EA does seem to believe 'optional' refers to EA's benefit, and not the player, no question about that.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
    edited October 2013
    I feel this is very much a realistic (as in simulating aspects of real/domestic life) game series. It's based on human like (not angels, not dragons, not dwarves) beings, it has children,old people, aging, dying, two genders, cars, work, yards, meals, marriage (straight/gay), going trick-or-treating, using cellphones, taking pictures, watching tv (and multiple channels you can actually watch: my daughter likes scary tv), holding down a job (promotions, getting fired), paying bills, consequences for not paying them...the list goes on. Just because the game has supernatural elements doesn't mean the supernatural/unrealistic is its focus. Supernatural elements are included because they capture the imagination of real people, people who want it (or think it should be) part of their real lives, or at least that of their sim's lives. As for the haunted house in Seasons being somehow fantasy/supernatural: I go to a 'haunted maze' in a cornfield on Halloween. That is a very 'real like' type attraction, manned not by ghosts, but by people.

EA does seem to believe 'optional' refers to EA's benefit, and not the player, no question about that.

The Twilight movies, modern Dracula movies, the Charmed series, Shadowrun, Harry Dresden books, Harry Potter movies, etc. all had those elements you discussed Sims 3 having.

Just as the realistic elements do not mean the focus is supernatural, the realistic elements do not mean the focus is realism. In fact, the devs have stated otherwise outright on the realism aspect a few times. It's a parody game; the focus is on comedy.
  • RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited October 2013
    That would be cool. I know I want a vacuum cleaner for TS3. Like what do they use now? A mop. I just use MC's clean all cheat cause I got sick of that animation a long time ago, so I'm all for more household things.
  • ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited October 2013
    If they add more household things to Sims4 then I want the darn lazy but kids to be able to do them as well. Give them freaking chores for crying out loud! All they want to do is watch tv and go visit friends, while the sim adult slave away until they're rich enough to hire a maid.....

I think I'm reliving a real life situation right now. :P
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2013

I so much agree with you! My households never have washing machines (the only 'gameplay' it adds is piles of laundry :? ) and my teens are only taught how to drive when it provides them a large amount of points to buy lifetime rewards. When that chance doesn't show up they age without a driving licence (there is no difference by the way, they can always drive when they become YA).

It's the 'unrealistic' things that make my game fun to play. That's what starts off the fantasy. When I want to iron I usually turn off my computer.

(there is a vacuum cleaner in Sims 3 by the way. Witches can fly them :roll: )
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited October 2013
    I like both realistic and supernatural/out-there elements. I don't see why we shouldn't have both so long as it's controllable. They've done a fairly good balance (not perfect) of both in TS3, so why not continue on and perfect it?
    There should be a sort of skill thing for lawn mowing at least, no ones good at the first try if you think about it. Maybe when they start they can make the grass uneven or get a rock stuck in the machine but as the skill goes up it could be less of a chance?

Haha! I love this idea and can definitely see it in action in my head. If they don't add this to TS4 I will seriously protest. :mrgreen:
  • LisameesimsLisameesims Posts: 1,125 Member
    edited October 2013
    More household items would be fun, as long as they include things to go with it. Such as: vacuum salesman (door to door demonstrations), funny actions while vacuming, etc...

Just adding a new cleaning chore alone would get boring.
  • lil_slglil_slg Posts: 1,010 New Member
    edited October 2013
    I like the idea of more realistic items. But in saying that, I barely use them after a week of trying them out. Laundry only happens in the houses of sims with butlers/ maids in my games (there isn't many of these). With The Sims, I prefer my gameplay to have Supernatural in it. I don't care for the Rocket in TS4, but I don't want sims to be very realistic, it's just too boring for me.

MajinKitty230 - I LOVE the Lawnmower skill idea you proposed :)

• lpmartinlpmartin Posts: 163
    edited October 2013
    I, too, like the idea of more realistic items. That being said, I do not want to see any supernatural aspects in TS4. But I know that eventually there will be another Supernatural EP. Whatever. I just won't buy it, as I didn't buy this last one.
    edited October 2013
    lpmartin wrote:
    I, too, like the idea of more realistic items. That being said, I do not want to see any supernatural aspects in TS4. But I know that eventually there will be another Supernatural EP. Whatever. I just won't buy it, as I didn't buy this last one.

As I said to you elsewhere, supernatural aspects have already been confirmed for Sims 4.

Or did you think that curse doll in the gameplay trailer was reflecting reality?
  • kcavineskcavines Posts: 84
    edited October 2013
    I enjoy the realism, but I understand that everyone plays differently...which is why I'm glad they offer the variety of ways to play.
    As I said to you elsewhere, supernatural aspects have already been confirmed for Sims 4.

Or did you think that curse doll in the gameplay trailer was reflecting reality?

But my, my, (unless it's sarcasm misunderstood due to the method of delivery...Internet), your comments are a bit "smarty pants." People are just voicing opinions, and compared to other posts/forums, most of them seem to be fairly diplomatic.