Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Districts

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2013
    aditya2333 wrote:
    No thank you!....This is the sims 4, not the sims 2.5 :roll:
    I expect nothing less than a full open world twice the size of the sims 3 worlds!.
    The Ts4 graphics alredy SUCK and there's NO CAST......If there's no open world then this game is a load of crap

You expect the impossible.

Sims series uses RTS engines for its basis. Those are what allow all of the customization options we've come to enjoy. However, RTS engines have a massive, glaring weakness: They have to load and keep track of the entire world at once, and they cannot really get any larger than the Sims 3 worlds do. Even the fog-of-war areas, like the covered islands in Island Paradise, are loaded and kept track of.

Sims 3 load times and lag issues, along with empty lot issues, demonstrate another weakness: RTS engines are made for extremely simplified animations on the large scale, not the complex ones the Sims series uses. Thus, why open world has so many problems.

RPG engines get around this by simply not loading the entire world at once.

So, in effect, what you are asking for is outside of current computer technology.
  • Options
    AbJo129AbJo129 Posts: 376 Member
    edited October 2013
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

Exactly - I'd rather have a closed world with interesting, lively lots than an open world with boring ones. Honestly, the trade off just isn't worth it IMO. You still wait awhile for the "grey furniture" to fully load their textures and all which takes sometime/lags a bit. The open world just didn't have a lot going for it in TS3, even that felt boring.

I know people like the open world with rabbitholes serving every function, but let's remember the reason why The Sims was created. It was to actually interact with every bit of the Sims' lives themselves. Having a building where you just dump your Sim in and can't view or interact with them just defeats that purpose and brings us right back to SimCity where we are staring at buildings.

Sorry but I find it far more satisfying and realistic for a sim to disappear into a rabbithole than just off my screen and leave me watching my house on fast-forward.
  • Options
    Claire17Claire17 Posts: 655 Member
    edited October 2013
    sims152318 wrote:
    Some players on this forum have mentioned having "districts". I think that that would be a great idea. The game could just load 4-8 lots at a time and Sims could just visit other districts to if they want to go somewhere else. This could be great because worlds could have a downtown area, suburbs, etc. It would also be less stressful on computers. It would be better that having a completely closed world like TS2 and a buggy open world like TS3. What do you think?

I'm not that keen. The open world was one aspect of the sims3 that I thought was a genuine improvement from the sim2 (the other being CASt)
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited October 2013
    Sims series uses RTS engines for its basis. Those are what allow all of the customization options we've come to enjoy. However, RTS engines have a massive, glaring weakness: They have to load and keep track of the entire world at once...

That doesn't make any sense. What does customization have to do with "loading and keeping track of the entire world at once?" Wouldn't customization be EASIER if the game was NOT loading the entire world at once?

TS2 didn't load the entire world at once, it only loaded one lot at a time. Now imagine if you loaded one lot at a time, but the lot was much bigger and had multiple houses or buildings on it. Isn't that what a district would be?
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited October 2013
    Glic2003 wrote:
    Sims series uses RTS engines for its basis. Those are what allow all of the customization options we've come to enjoy. However, RTS engines have a massive, glaring weakness: They have to load and keep track of the entire world at once...

That doesn't make any sense. What does customization have to do with "loading and keeping track of the entire world at once?" Wouldn't customization be EASIER if the game was NOT loading the entire world at once?

TS2 didn't load the entire world at once, it only loaded one lot at a time. Now imagine if you loaded one lot at a time, but the lot was much bigger and had multiple houses or buildings on it. Isn't that what a district would be?

Every colour and texture has a code. Customization would require the game keep track of all that, plus with aging and open world it causes lags.
    Every time you enter a load screen to enter a different area, the PC only needs to load those items in that area. But with no load screen the PC has to continuously keep track of every colour, texture, animation throughout the entire world.

How'd I do Tanya? Do I get at least a C grade for understanding this concept? haha
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Glic2003 wrote:

Every colour and texture has a code. Customization would require the game keep track of all that, plus with aging and open world it causes lags.
    Every time you enter a load screen to enter a different area, the PC only needs to load those items in that area. But with no load screen the PC has to continuously keep track of every colour, texture, animation throughout the entire world.

How'd I do Tanya? Do I get at least a C grade for understanding this concept? haha

A+ grade ^^
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Glic2003 wrote:

My comments on her post were directed primarily on the open world demands ^^

The issues with CASt are actually independent of open or closed world; even in a closed world system, it would lag for some people.

The reason is how many patterns CASt can store in it in any given section. Some sections, even with my machine, take a couple minutes to fully load just due to the sheer amount of saved patterns I have. And when it would have to load a district, every pattern it has to load that is not already in temporary memory from being loaded earlier would slow the load time a bit for that district. If you had super-customized each district using CASt, you could easily end up waiting three or four minutes in a load screen every time you moved from one part of the neighborhood to another.

Of course, I'm also advocating for replacing CASt with a more advanced version of Bodyshop that would cover everything, so I'm not exactly seeing it as that big an issue for most players :P
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited October 2013
    Glic2003 wrote:

My comments on her post were directed primarily on the open world demands ^^

The issues with CASt are actually independent of open or closed world; even in a closed world system, it would lag for some people.

The reason is how many patterns CASt can store in it in any given section. Some sections, even with my machine, take a couple minutes to fully load just due to the sheer amount of saved patterns I have. And when it would have to load a district, every pattern it has to load that is not already in temporary memory from being loaded earlier would slow the load time a bit for that district. If you had super-customized each district using CASt, you could easily end up waiting three or four minutes in a load screen every time you moved from one part of the neighborhood to another.

Of course, I'm also advocating for replacing CASt with a more advanced version of Bodyshop that would cover everything, so I'm not exactly seeing it as that big an issue for most players :P

Yeah. I have to admit CASt was a hog,must have taken over 15-30 secs to load clothing/accessories WHEN I used NRass to reduce lag by only loading one copy of each item. I'd like to see a lilmited CASt, maybe a dozen or so slots for bodyshop options in clothing category.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2013
    AbJo129 wrote:
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

Exactly - I'd rather have a closed world with interesting, lively lots than an open world with boring ones. Honestly, the trade off just isn't worth it IMO. You still wait awhile for the "grey furniture" to fully load their textures and all which takes sometime/lags a bit. The open world just didn't have a lot going for it in TS3, even that felt boring.

I know people like the open world with rabbitholes serving every function, but let's remember the reason why The Sims was created. It was to actually interact with every bit of the Sims' lives themselves. Having a building where you just dump your Sim in and can't view or interact with them just defeats that purpose and brings us right back to SimCity where we are staring at buildings.

Sorry but I find it far more satisfying and realistic for a sim to disappear into a rabbithole than just off my screen and leave me watching my house on fast-forward.

For work places? If so, I agree. But I'm referring to things such as restaurants, the grocery store, theater, etc. Those venues IMO should really be opened up. School and work? No.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

You just explained why customization would be harder in an open world...which is the opposite of what TRR claimed.

Yet, she seems to be commending you for that.

:shock:
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    Fin490Fin490 Posts: 49
    edited October 2013
    Glic2003 wrote:

You just explained why customization would be harder in an open world...which is the opposite of what TRR claimed.

Yet, she seems to be commending you for that.

:shock:

Your confusion is entirely your fault. Your entire argument with Tanya was based on something you took out of context. He even proceeded to clarify that in one of his following posts. Tanya was talking about the open world, and how the previous post asked for worlds bigger than we have now.

In order to be an effective member on the forums you have to read what other people said before you comment on them. It's not only logical it's courteous; too many arguments and name-calling have evolved out of these kind of misunderstandings.

Sorry for the tone, not trying to sound like I'm scolding.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Fin490 wrote:
    [

If you didn't want to sound like you're scolding, why did you write a scolding message?

I'll accept your apology, though. You must be well-versed in forum etiquette, having just successfully posted your 37th message.
    simsig_willwright.gif

-Honeywell
  • Options
    rjdreamer53rjdreamer53 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited October 2013
    I still want Open worlds, Sorry I am spoiled to that.

"EA" should of never showed us the difference to open world and just Lots! If the Districts were done like visiting a Vacation world , then that might work, but my loading screen takes much longer that any loading screen stated here.

I would rather deal with the rendering situation , than deal with loading screens.

I am one of those Low end PC's that "EA" is targeting, but I would rather have to buy a new PC than lower my expectations for this game!
  • Options
    AbJo129AbJo129 Posts: 376 Member
    edited October 2013
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    AbJo129 wrote:
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

For work places? If so, I agree. But I'm referring to things such as restaurants, the grocery store, theater, etc. Those venues IMO should really be opened up. School and work? No.

Then we agree! ;-) ;-)
  • Options
    SeanieRockz44SeanieRockz44 Posts: 852 New Member
    edited October 2013
    I think each district should feature 2 or 3 streets, and the rest of the world is a blurred backdrop, like SimCity. So its not like you are confined to the streets, it's still like a living place but the game only has to concentrate on a select number of lots rather than 50.

And if you want to go to a place outside the district, the game will load it pretty quickly and populate it with NPCs.
  • Options
    Fin490Fin490 Posts: 49
    edited October 2013
    Glic2003 wrote:
    Fin490 wrote:
    [

If you didn't want to sound like you're scolding, why did you write a scolding message?

I'll accept your apology, though. You must be well-versed in forum etiquette, having just successfully posted your 37th message.

One can learn much more from listening (or reading, as you would on the forums) than speaking. That is the point I am trying to make.

The fact that you would resort to personal attacks undermines your entire premise, and it doesn't gain any headway in making me believe you're any better than me.

I have been reading on the forums since a week before the first pictures were leaked, and already I have done a better job of making comprehensive and responsible posts.

P.S. I take the apology back, tone for tone, we're now on equal grounds. At least I wasn't being sarcastic.