Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Topic, Please TS4 Team Give Us More Grunge.

:mrgreen:

As pretty as the pictures look..I really, really want more grunge. Can't stress that enough. More urban run down buildings..peeling wall papers, nasty walls, trash and debree outside. Smoke stacks boiling out pollution..alleys that Sims have on their lots that may lead into another Sim's lot.

Street ball, raggedy clothes..think the Depression...hard hat, blue collar jobs, coming home with dirty faces, dirt on their clothes. Lunch bucket in hand. The ambition to get a better life, a better home, a more burb house...a goal for the Sim..or affects their mood.

Kids out in the road/street...playing in groups..tag, rosie posie, cops and robbers...policeman that drive by in a 1930's Ford... :wink:

An 'ice box' think The Honeymooners...

Banker career or at least real teller jobs..think those old banks with the bars infront of the teller cubby holes or that slider they slammed closed when you got to the head of the line. :lol:

Blue collar jobs..a neighborhood full of factories..steel mills, lumber mills, presses, newspaper career...If I must deal with an 'on hands' type career I would like a return of the newspaper news room...think the forties..when you heard 'stop the presses!'...for the next big news item.

I really, really would love an urban town with all the smells, and backgroud sounds and grunge of the cities in the '30's..maybe if not in basegame..please consider this era and it's grunge and factories and industrial age for an EP.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited September 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    :mrgreen:

As pretty as the pictures look..I really, really want more grunge. Can't stress that enough. More urban run down buildings..peeling wall papers, nasty walls, trash and debree outside. Smoke stacks boiling out pollution..alleys that Sims have on their lots that may lead into another Sim's lot.

Street ball, raggedy clothes..think the Depression...hard hat, blue collar jobs, coming home with dirty faces, dirt on their clothes. Lunch bucket in hand. The ambition to get a better life, a better home, a more burb house...a goal for the Sim..or affects their mood.

Kids out in the road/street...playing in groups..tag, rosie posie, cops and robbers...policeman that drive by in a 1930's Ford... :wink:

An 'ice box' think The Honeymooners...

Banker career or at least real teller jobs..think those old banks with the bars infront of the teller cubby holes or that slider they slammed closed when you got to the head of the line. :lol:

Blue collar jobs..a neighborhood full of factories..steel mills, lumber mills, presses, newspaper career...If I must deal with an 'on hands' type career I would like a return of the newspaper news room...think the forties..when you heard 'stop the presses!'...for the next big news item.

I really, really would love an urban town with all the smells, and backgroud sounds and grunge of the cities in the '30's..maybe if not in basegame..please consider this era and it's grunge and factories and industrial age for an EP.

This! This! This! This! :D
    Edit: What's rosie posie though?
  • KansineKansine Posts: 105 Member
    edited September 2013
    I really have nothing to add, just that I couldn't agree more! Those are some absolutely fantastic ideas and something I've always wanted!! Those kind of things could make me actually buy Sims 4 (which looks very unlikely at the moment).
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited September 2013
    Hi :D

I would love more rundown items and a neighborhood. It's hard to work up if everything's so pretty at the bottom. :lol:

• DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited September 2013
    Rflong7 wrote:

I would love more rundown items and a neighborhood. It's hard to work up if everything's so pretty at the bottom. :lol:

Forget about working them up to the top; I'm just a sadistic 'artistic' person who loves nothing more than to leave her sims suffering at the bottom in their lousy run down one-room only apartments. LOL
  • AmazingSims79879AmazingSims79879 Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited September 2013
    Darkslayer wrote:
    This! This! This! This! :D
    Edit: What's rosie posie though?

Did someone say my name?

Anyway love the idea. Especially the factories.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2013
    Rosy Posie is a game little kids play standing, holding hands, in a circle around one in the center. You sing 'ring around the rosy, pocket full of posies' All fall down! I can't remember what the person in the center was supposed to do..been a looong time since I played that game. :lol:

It was a reference nursey rhyme to the plague which was turned into a game..go figure.

http://www.rhymes.org.uk/ring_around_the_rosy.htm

My inspriation for what I would like to see in games are partly childhood memories, (not quite that old) and classic movies, the fast paced world of the news paper office back in the day, busy, busy streets of the big cities or more urban cities, and some of what I would like to see of child interactions and capabilites are taken from the well known 'Little Rascals' films. Not so politically correct these days, but by their expressions and interactions and what they 'could' do as tiny tots..those kids had talent! Though probably weren't treated so nice by the studios.

I remember one rascal film that shows a very tiny Spanky (maybe 3) being able to climb up on the sink to get into a cabinet..I just wish the Sims would realize little kids can climb, get into everything, and causes messes. I don't remember but if anyone has ever watched those old reruns they were hilarous and their facial expressions were precious, and yes, even in the thirties they protrayed child hood crushes..at time when Spanky was just a baby others were developing childhood crushes and giving the crush all the other person's candy. :lol:

Take a look at those on YouTube and you might see what I think would make for good interactions and expressions for the kids in the TS4..those are great.

Another inspiration I get is when I think of the golden era of films..the hussle and bussle of the cities, the hard working ' Friday's girl' who doesn't always live in a very nice apartment. But one with very little furniture and very run down.

Just love classic movies and the boom of the factories..the backbone of my country and it's progress and wealth..and I frankly would like to see this represented in a game...they heartbeat of America was innovation and how we built things and it was't always glamours, or easy or a lap of luxury. I would like to play that world in TS4. :wink:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited September 2013
    Yes, yes and yes!

This is the second thread,just this week,asking for this.

Please store team. Can we have some urban grittiness?

You've given people new shiny stuff, farm stuff, business content,world destinations and all sorts of items and clothing they've asked for.

And I promise I won't start a thread about 'what you didn't include and why didn't you include this'......I'll be very happy and say thank you.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2013
    There is a picture of 'stick ball' in the '30's on 'granger street?' or was it 'orange street?' oh well my short term memory problem is back..

But it shows how things were crowded, trash, but full of adults and kids playing stick ball in the road. In the '30's a child was killed while playing in the street with a cardboard box...and there was a big meeting in the street by mothers to name a street 'Play Street'..although very tragic story, I think urban cities like Brooklyn in game would be a great asset to some of us..and if the one 'street' was a 'Play street' for the kids to play in groups..unlike now, where maybe on a few can play together.

If they are going to have 'groups' in this next game. I hope they don't forget about kids' groups and if they considered this era to please add stick ball, and other things kids did back in the day.

The '70's are fun to replay but I really, really hope we get a bussling city (doesn't have to be as big as BP) from the '30's or '40's..and a little more realism that all Sims aren't rich and or do they want to be...but their 'environments' are not so glamourous, either.

And yeah, you can watch the an old, old short video of the 'trolley' in Brooklyn, NY on the net..and or look at images of what I am talking about Dev team when I say crowded, overrun, run down, streets and apartment buildings of that time.

There were even street vendors in the middle of roads...times were super hard, and I just wish I could bring those times to life in a game like The Sims. Lots of images everywhere for more grunge and hardship for a particular Sim...or maybe they would be perfectly happy in an enviornment like that..but 'not' being able to play that way when all Sims get a cellphone, and or want a new big screen TV is a little hard when we imagine something from yesterday.
  • WildeatheartWildeatheart Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited September 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    Rosy Posie is a game little kids play standing, holding hands, in a circle around one in the center. You sing 'ring around the rosy, pocket full of posies' All fall down! I can't remember what the person in the center was supposed to do..been a looong time since I played that game. :lol:

Oh, in England we call it 'Ring a ring o' roses' :wink:

Anywho...

I agree with you, I would like to see some grungier items for the base-game. I especially want the lower levels of the Criminal Career to be grungier.

I thought the lower levels of the Sims 3 ones were just boring (although I really liked the higher levels, and would like to keep them comical as it was before)
    tumblr_static_b95t53zz25sskgcso8s48cksw.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited September 2013
    Darkslayer wrote:
    Rflong7 wrote:

Forget about working them up to the top; I'm just a sadistic 'artistic' person who loves nothing more than to leave her sims suffering at the bottom in their lousy run down one-room only apartments. LOL

Yeah, but that's for only the ones we like. ;)
  • LilithLilith Posts: 35 New Member
    edited September 2013
    It'd be nice to have gated communities too, sort of designated zones for the haves and the have nots, maybe there are certain benefits to each area of the neighborhood (heightened security in the gated communities, more opportunities in the urban area) and unique interactions, like sims from the slums visiting the mcmansions and being all starry eyed, while a sim from the 'burbs visiting downtown and being mildly frightened.
  • KansineKansine Posts: 105 Member
    edited September 2013
    Lilith wrote:
    It'd be nice to have gated communities too, sort of designated zones for the haves and the have nots, maybe there are certain benefits to each area of the neighborhood (heightened security in the gated communities, more opportunities in the urban area) and unique interactions, like sims from the slums visiting the mcmansions and being all starry eyed, while a sim from the 'burbs visiting downtown and being mildly frightened.

The special interactions sound fun and interesting on their own, but only if you could still edit the town yourself and change the designated zones easily (I mean really easily, in the game, not with extra tools like Create-A-World). Otherwise it would limit our creativity very much. Personally I like to bulldoze all the lots in a neighbourhood and replace them with lots that I've made or downloaded (or copied from some other neighbourhood or so). And I'd love a town that would be entirely one big slum :)
  • AmazingSims79879AmazingSims79879 Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited September 2013
    Oh, in England we call it 'Ring a ring o' roses' :wink:

Yeah that's what we called it. We used to skip around in a circle holding hands. At the end we clutched our throats and keeled over in the most dramatic way possible!
  • loyallyroyalloyallyroyal Posts: 353 Member
    edited September 2013
    I would LOVE a whole grungy industrial town!
  • SalemSalem Posts: 316 New Member
    edited September 2013
    OMG YES!

I have always wished and hoped for this type of diversity. Love your ideas too! it just makes your imagination run wild, the story lines would be amazing.

It has always been a pet peeve of mine that there is no visual different or distinctions between rich and poor or the snob and the slob.

You don't see any difference in their appearance, clothing, lot, neighbourhood, it only really came down to the quality and quantity of furniture a household had.

This would be a WOW factor for me I'd be all over the game like a grundy rash!!!

• JAZZIE0129JAZZIE0129 Posts: 13 New Member
    edited September 2013
    I love this idea as well. Not everyone lives in a beautiful neighborhood. We should have cheap apartment buildings and work our way to the top. If they do add apartments i hope they add parking lots to them unlike the ones in bridge port.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited September 2013
    When I hear grunge I think of Kurt Cobain.

But yeah, this kind of stuff is good for storytelling, not all sims are squeaky clean!
  • kjoneskjones Posts: 832 Member
    edited September 2013
    Without CASt they had better add a multitude of options. Personally, I really dislike the furniture and decor I have seen so far. I'm not into the the high gloss modular Asian/futuristic theme. I am hoping that the game will come with themed folders packed to the rim with options.

But really, who am I kidding, I am not really holding out much hope anymore :(
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited September 2013
    Meh, not too much a fan of grunge.
  • Aotearoa13Aotearoa13 Posts: 309 Member
    edited September 2013
    Yes, always wanted this kind of thing and was always downloading stuff that had a grittier feel.

Tired of the pretty-pretty obsession some people have. More hair!! More lip gloss!! More toe nail polish!!

Can't we have a story world with a greater array of people and places?

Blue collar, grunge, industrial, damaged etc.
  • GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited September 2013
    Grunge all the way!
  • despina53despina53 Posts: 1,654 Member
    edited September 2013
    I would like to see the ability to place lots closer together so it actually looks like a city - the buildings all "cheek by jowl" crowded - instead of having that gap between lots we have now. I'd love to be able to have an urban area that actually looks urban. Like Cinebar mentioned, alleys for an urban housing / industrial setting and maybe an empty sandlot for kids to play in instead of that perfect playpark. Low income housing so our Sims can start out small and work up to the suburbs. :-)
    Call me Dee :p
    Proud member of the "Own The Store Club"
  • AnticipationAnticipation Posts: 90 Member
    edited September 2013
    despina53 wrote:
    I would like to see the ability to place lots closer together so it actually looks like a city - the buildings all "cheek by jowl" crowded - instead of having that gap between lots we have now. I'd love to be able to have an urban area that actually looks urban. Like Cinebar mentioned, alleys for an urban housing / industrial setting and maybe an empty sandlot for kids to play in instead of that perfect playpark. Low income housing so our Sims can start out small and work up to the suburbs. :-)
    Exactly, what I most want is to be able to have buildings without space in between! This would be useful in lots of different types of neighboorhoods.
  • ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited September 2013
    despina53 wrote:
    Exactly, what I most want is to be able to have buildings without space in between! This would be useful in lots of different types of neighboorhoods.

I'm thinking that with the ability to move your house all around the lot that we may be able to recreate the illusion of "cheek by jowl" crowded. :D
  • mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited September 2013
    Yes please! I like playing poor sims. It lets me make more interesting stories. I want a better apartment set up for renters (how many people buy a house straight out of high school?). I want greasy spoon restaurants and dive bar lots that attract poor sims. I want CASt back so that I can make all sorts of furniture and clothes look dirty and worn. I want more cheap furniture. Give me mattresses on the floor (or at least beds without headboards) and more stuff like the milk crate shelves from University. Give me all sorts of tacky and cheap clutter for homes. I want to be able to make hoarders! Make it harder to get promoted so sims don't all become CEOs. More city worlds would be great, too.

ETA: I'd also like gambling to reflect real gambling odds. I want my carefree trust fund sims to be able to lose it all!