Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ZooU Course11-Enhance Your Builds with Photography and CAP Tutorial-Links Post One

Comments

• Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited August 2013
    annin7 wrote:
    Zoo, thank you so much for the class! :D:D:D
    MOO U T-shirt was my first CAP work. So I haven't used CAP and I didn't know how to use the tool until recently :D
    As you know I never use CC for my exchange works. So sometimes I want to edit paintings to fit my works, but I don't want to use CC.
    If I use the CAP paintings, so I can edit the color or size. It is so great idea and I never thought the way to use CAP for paintings.
    And when I saw you uploaded the grid pattern, I knew what is it used for. :D It is a very helpful pattern. Thank you so much!
    I still have been busy this month, but I think I have time to work on my creations. So I'll try to do the homework. But I'm sorry If it will be late.

Annin

Thank you so much for your kind words! It is a relief to me to hear you say that this is useful to you. I always worry when it is an expert builder like you that the class will be a waste of time for them.

I was VERY impressed with your placement of the Star Trek insignia that you made to help Bree on her awesome Spock Sim. That was the idea of expert placement and I'll bet you did it by eye and didn't even have a grid to use.

And no hurry at all on the homework! I am going to announce a class project later today and have students discuss it on this thread. I was thinking that we would take a nice long time to get the project done. I expect people will be posting photos of their homework all during the time we are working on the class project.

Zoo

oow785m
  • Options
    samj6samj6 Posts: 750 Member
    edited August 2013
    I love this tutorial, thank you so much for sharing these great techniques Zoo!:D I'm using Saul Bass Vertigo poster to photograph, It's just installing it now :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    LucyBorgia wrote:
    LucyBorgia wrote:
    Hmm, I'm struggling to get a mat around my picture... Probably being dim! I'm using paint

Lucy,

Try this.

Use Paint to open up your image, use right click and "select all" and choose Copy.

Now open a NEW window with Paint and make the mat size bigger than the one needed for your image. Then choose Paste and move your image to the middle of the new mat area.

Crop it if needed so that you have a nice even border around your image. Color your mat as desired.

Let me know if that helps or if it is unclear in any way!

Zoo

Thank you! I've got it now, and very carefully went through everything and got the colour matching so nicely... Got into game and as far as going to put it on the wall and it's not there! Going back to the launcher...

Once it was in your launcher, did you go through the steps to show the file and double click the name of the pattern in the file list?

Did it pop up with a box to say that you have successfully installed it?

If that is the case, I will bet that it IS there. The problem is that you won't be able to look at it and tell what it is from looking at the photos in the list in Create A Style. You get such a tiny bit of the pattern, you usually can't tell what it is without clicking on it.

I would make sure I was in the correct type of pattern (fabric, themed, paint, etc.) and then look for the patterns in that group that have the little pink asterisk symbol to indicate it was added by a user, then click those one at a time to find your new artwork.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    samj6 wrote:
    I love this tutorial, thank you so much for sharing these great techniques Zoo!:D I'm using Saul Bass Vertigo poster to photograph, It's just installing it now :mrgreen:

You are very welcome, Sam! I can't wait to see a photo of your Sim with his fancy new poster! :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    BambooEaterrrBambooEaterrr Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2013
    I was VERY impressed with your placement of the Star Trek insignia that you made to help Bree on her awesome Spock Sim. That was the idea of expert placement and I'll bet you did it by eye and didn't even have a grid to use.

Star Trek insignia? o.O Must. Have! :lol: I hosted a CAS contest this winter where the first part was creating one of the main character from the original show and people had such a hard time finding something that had anything that remotely looked like the insignia on it.

annin7 - is it in your studio for dl or..? Cause then I'll skip over there the second class ends ;)
  • Options
    HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member
    edited August 2013
    Arrghhh ... I am so eager to see my first CAP creation in game but my launcher is just soooo slow. :cry:

This is yet another fabulous class Zoo as it gives us all so much scope to personalise our builds ... and your clear instructions help immensely!! THANK YOU!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

*Waves at Annin* ... ohayo gozaimasu! ... You'll need a very strong coffee or some Augustiner beer :wink: as you are up and about so very early just to take part in this wonderful course!! :shock:
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Star Trek insignia? o.O Must. Have! :lol: I hosted a CAS contest this winter where the first part was creating one of the main character from the original show and people had such a hard time finding something that had anything that remotely looked like the insignia on it.

annin7 - is it in your studio for dl or..? Cause then I'll skip over there the second class ends ;)

Annin has MANY MANY fabulous things in his Studio and I would definitely recommend a trip there, but he doesn't have that pattern in it.

Annin and Bree and I are all on the D.N.A. Request Team and the two of them worked together to help Bree make a Sim for one of our customers.

Her version of Spock is one of the very best I've seen and it (hopefully) will have the custom pattern as part of the download if you download him from the Exchange.

Here is the link for Spock:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7580841

oow785m
  • Options
    BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,910 Member
    edited August 2013
    Zoo I have got to say, you are brilliant, and you have spent so much time in doing all this for us. Thank You so much.I got your pattern DL and I'm still working on my picture... Thank You again Zoo..
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hidehi wrote:
    Arrghhh ... I am so eager to see my first CAP creation in game but my launcher is just soooo slow. :cry:

This is yet another fabulous class Zoo as it gives us all so much scope to personalise our builds ... and your clear instructions help immensely!! THANK YOU!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

*Waves at Annin* ... ohayo gozaimasu! ... You'll need a very strong coffee or some Augustiner beer :wink: as you are up and about so very early just to take part in this wonderful course!! :shock:

Hello, Hidehi!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the class and thank you for saying that my instructions are clear (it is really tough to know if I'm clear or not with Zoo U courses--- in my classroom in real life I can look to see if I see confused faces and I can ASK if anyone is lost, but none of that works online).

I feel you about the stupid launcher! I have a super-good computer for Simming (it was purpose built for just that one thing) and STILL it takes it longer than it should to open the launcher. Not as long as most people have to wait if they have an older machine, BUT with mine it SHOULD be nearly instantaneous and it is no where NEAR that.

I'm not excited about Sims 4 at the moment. I may change my mind, but the no Create A Style is a big deal breaker for me. BUT if they got rid of the stupid launcher (OR if it actually worked as it should) that would be some incentive to people to give Sims 4 a chance.

SORRY! No rant was intended. :oops: :mrgreen:

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Annin has MANY MANY fabulous things in his Studio and I would definitely recommend a trip there, but he doesn't have that pattern in it.

Annin and Bree and I are all on the D.N.A. Request Team and the two of them worked together to help Bree make a Sim for one of our customers.

Her version of Spock is one of the very best I've seen and it (hopefully) will have the custom pattern as part of the download if you download him from the Exchange.

Oh well then I'll make sure to dl that Spock, thanks so much! :D

Hmmm I'm finding the whole grid thing very confusing... Probably because I'm literally sick and tired atm lol, so my apologies if it's really stupid questions :b

1. How do you see which numbers to use if it shouldn't repeat?

We can take that idea of placement to the ultimate extreme, too. Look at these walls. They have areas INSIDE the frames that can be recolored.
    This confuses me a lot - is it pictures of the patterns or just the pattern on the wall and you just used frames to frame it? And if you did use frames, then what frames are they, I don't remember seeing them in my game?
  • Options
    princess0384princess0384 Posts: 417 Member
    edited August 2013
    Hi I can't seem to export the pattern it keeps saying failed. So I'm kinda on hold while I try Re-Installing it.

Okay, of COURSE, this is something that has never happened to me even once, so I don't know what is causing it or how to fix it. :shock:

Let me make SURE I understand you: You are getting the "failed" message when you try to use Export in CAP, correct? You aren't talking about the installation step, right?

Are you reinstalling CAP? That would be what I would try, too.

Does your launcher have any problems that you know of? When we Export we are sending our pattern to the launcher in much the way that we send something that we have downloaded from the Exchange there. After we install whatever it is, then we can use it in our games. I wonder if there is some sort of communication problem between CAP and the launcher. I am just GUESSING at this point though!

If you can't Export the pattern, will it allow you to Save it in CAP?
    Yes it was not exporting the pattern. Yes I installed and re-installed it. It worked after that. It did let me save it. On my old computer it did the same thing. Thank you for the course it was big help. here is what I did. Not perfect. Still working on getting the mat right Screenshot_zpsd29153ee.jpg
    IcsaBkL.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    BreeMiles wrote:
    Zoo I have got to say, you are brilliant, and you have spent so much time in doing all this for us. Thank You so much.I got your pattern DL and I'm still working on my picture... Thank You again Zoo..

You are SO welcome, Sweet Bree! I love having teammates take my classes, but then I worry that you guys will already know everything and then will be bored! LOL!

Dang that Taryn! Her course 10 was so epic that I have been way more nervous than usual! She made me need to step up my game! :lol::lol:

oow785m
  • Options
    sunsetsorbetsunsetsorbet Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited August 2013
    Is too late to sign up?

I'm not understanding #13 in the homework. What EP did that wall covering come with? I've never seen anything like it before in my game, but I'm not much of a builder.

For #12 do you have to find an image of jewelry with a clear background?
    My SimblrMy ShowcaseMy StudioMy Page
    tumblr_inline_ncxfq7fK9U1t2rf78.png
    (no ts3 wishlist, because I own the store)
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Oh well then I'll make sure to dl that Spock, thanks so much! :D

Hmmm I'm finding the whole grid thing very confusing... Probably because I'm literally sick and tired atm lol, so my apologies if it's really stupid questions :b

1. How do you see which numbers to use if it shouldn't repeat?

We can take that idea of placement to the ultimate extreme, too. Look at these walls. They have areas INSIDE the frames that can be recolored.
    This confuses me a lot - is it pictures of the patterns or just the pattern on the wall and you just used frames to frame it?

I think I see exactly where I'm losing you.

1. Look at your wall or whatever it is that you plan to add a pattern to when it is re-colored with the grid pattern on it.

Look at the place where you would like to put, say, a broach on a blouse for a Sim.

In my example you can see that the ONLY grid square that is in the area of where I might want to show a broach AND that doesn't also show on the back of the blouse or sleeves of the blouse is the upper left corner of the square containing the 5. On the back of the blouse there IS a 5 square, but only part of it--- NOT the upper left corner.

That means that if I can make my broach pattern in such a way that it is only in this tiny area of my blouse, there will only be one broach on the blouse.

In the photo of the walls, in the first wall you can see that the grid pattern on the upper section has nearly all the numbered squares repeated, but the 2 and 3 squares are not repeated AND they are in an area where you might want to hang something on a wall. So if you wanted to make a pattern to simulate something hanging on the wall (but you didn't want to make it look as if there were a column of several of these things repeated down the wall) then we should make sure to stay in the 2 and 3 squares ONLY.

In the wall to the right, the upper molding comes down lower and that makes the 6 and 7 squares NOT repeat on that upper wall section. For that particular wall covering, a recolor with a pattern that should simulate a wall hanging could have a pattern that covers the squares labeled 2,3,6, and 7.

2. Let's talk about this:

What I did was recolor those walls with the grid ONE PLACE AT A TIME. There are four different places that you can change the pattern on each of those wall coverings that have the frames. I have one copy of the wall covering with each of those places recolored with the grid.

THEN I looked to see which parts of which squares showed through the inside of the frame. That shows me exactly where I want to put my pattern so that it will show through the frame.

Since there are more than one place in each of these wall coverings that the pattern can be changed in a way that fills the frames, I made a pattern that will fill the frames (more than one) and when I recolored I used my new pattern more than once to recolor the wall pattern.

I HOPE this answers the questions, but if not, LET ME KNOW! I will see what else I can do.

Zoo

oow785m
  • Options
    BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,910 Member
    edited August 2013
    Zoo what did I do wrong here.. The first pictures have the right color border but dark. The next picture is light enough, but the border is to light is that alright,or can it be fixed?

5ebi3r.jpg

Here is my BlackCat Link::
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/710775.page
  • Options
    jenny0786jenny0786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited August 2013
    Wow Zoo your Art Gallery from Course 7 came out GREAT! I have left you a rec. I know that I am late to this class; SORRY

I will be working on this tonight as it is a "3" day weekend. LOL.

This is a useful course for people who do not want cc in their game but do want patterns.
  • Options
    LucyBorgiaLucyBorgia Posts: 753 Member
    edited August 2013

Once it was in your launcher, did you go through the steps to show the file and double click the name of the pattern in the file list?

If that is the case, I will bet that it IS there. The problem is that you won't be able to look at it and tell what it is from looking at the photos in the list in Create A Style. You get such a tiny bit of the pattern, you usually can't tell what it is without clicking on it.

I would make sure I was in the correct type of pattern (fabric, themed, paint, etc.) and then look for the patterns in that group that have the little pink asterisk symbol to indicate it was added by a user, then click those one at a time to find your new artwork.

Zoo

It did, and I went through all the patterns in case I'd been distracted by elder son's talk about motorbikes and put it in the 'wrong' category (ie, not where I thought I'd put it!) once using custom content as a filter and once show all... Then I decided it was almost certainly there but just taking ages to show and went off to tell younger son it was time to go to sleep and came back to find the game had crashed as the store had updated.

So I went back through and made a pattern again labelling it take 2 and went through all the steps again and this time checked my installed content of the launcher before clicking play, so I know they're both in there! Just waiting for it to start up again...

Of course it's there now! I think the store update was what was delaying it. :wink:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Is too late to sign up?

I'm not understanding #13 in the homework. What EP did that wall covering come with? I've never seen anything like it before in my game, but I'm not much of a builder.

For #12 do you have to find an image of jewelry with a clear background?

I will put you on the class roster even though it is technically over.

I am still here, you are still here, so I say that counts as your being in the class! :mrgreen:

I'm not sure which EP those wall coverings with the frames came with OR if it was a patch, but I know where they are in the Build Catalog. Go to Wall Coverings and look in the Miscellaneous area. If you don't see them there, then you don't have the EP that gave them to us.

About #12, Unfortunately, I don't know of ANY way to force CAP to have our custom stickers have a CLEAR background (it would be AWESOME and so so very helpful, so if anyone knows how to do that, PLEASE SHARE). The stickers that are given to us in CAP (the star, for example) has a clear background, so I can put it on top of a pattern with no problems, but not so with our custom backgrounds.

What you do is find a photo of jewelry on the Internet, take it into Paint (or your other program choice) and carefully erase all the way around the piece until you have a white background.

Now, PAINT is cooperative, you can select the jewelry and make the white read as clear, then you can paste the jewelry on any color or pattern you would like, BUT when you use it in CAP you will have to replicate the color or pattern behind the jewelry item in order to make it look right on the clothing item.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hi I can't seem to export the pattern it keeps saying failed. So I'm kinda on hold while I try Re-Installing it.

Okay, of COURSE, this is something that has never happened to me even once, so I don't know what is causing it or how to fix it. :shock:

Let me make SURE I understand you: You are getting the "failed" message when you try to use Export in CAP, correct? You aren't talking about the installation step, right?

Are you reinstalling CAP? That would be what I would try, too.

Does your launcher have any problems that you know of? When we Export we are sending our pattern to the launcher in much the way that we send something that we have downloaded from the Exchange there. After we install whatever it is, then we can use it in our games. I wonder if there is some sort of communication problem between CAP and the launcher. I am just GUESSING at this point though!

If you can't Export the pattern, will it allow you to Save it in CAP?
    Yes it was not exporting the pattern. Yes I installed and re-installed it. It worked after that. It did let me save it. On my old computer it did the same thing. Thank you for the course it was big help. here is what I did. Not perfect. Still working on getting the mat right Screenshot_zpsd29153ee.jpg

Hey, a Sims 4 poster! Great job! Just move your Sim back a little and take an new photo. With a tiny bit of practice you will be "picture" perfect (do you see what I did there?) LOL!

When I first started, I would often make my mat really close to my background of my artwork so that it helped hide my bad photography.
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for that very elaborate answer! I didn't qoute the post, didn't want to take up all the page ;)

1. I get it now, yay! I didn't understand the fact that you wanted the sticker in CAP to cover e.g. BOTH 2 & 3, I thought you meant covering 2 with one sticker and 3 with another. Therefore I didn't really get why 1 & 4 were excluded, but that makes so much more sense now lol :b

2. I see where I got confused here as well now lol - I had completely forgot about that wall covering! I thought it was frames or photographs, so I got a bit confuzzled :lol:

Thank you so much for clarifying all that for me! Don't think I'll have any problem with the rest now, so will head to bed (almost midnight here :shock: ) and finish this tomorrow!

Oh almost forgot! I wanted to share this pic:

[img]http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s543/BambooEaterrr/f712f151-0e45-4130-a115-3cbb91dc53ac_zps3f880cff.jpg?t=1377984078 "width=400"[/img]

I used the picture from the Steampunk: Return set and thought it added such a nice little touch to the frame, that I'd share with you all :D (never mind the photo itself, I'm not all too happy with that pattern lol, also didn't nail the recolor completely yet)

(And thanks a bunch for this class (and the precious ones as well!), you have no idea how much you've helped improve my builds!)
  • Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2013
    Zoo, this is amazing!!! And your numbered grid takes the guess work out of most everything!

Guess what? I chose a photo that is part homework! I was trying to read your mind! I did large portrait, which looks best, and then small portrait. I found a frame that I think works good with small portrait, but you will need to color the wall behind it to match. Example:

Screenshot-3_zpsaa2fb3c4.jpg"width=640""height=450"

That would by my 'family' photo... my girls! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    BreeMiles wrote:
    Zoo what did I do wrong here.. The first pictures have the right color border but dark. The next picture is light enough, but the border is to light is that alright,or can it be fixed?

5ebi3r.jpg

Here is my BlackCat Link::
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/710775.page

I don't think you did anything wrong, I think we are looking at a well-lit version of your photos and (lower down) a less well-lit version.

I like to play with the buyDebug lights until my photos look to suit me. Try pulling the lights in the ceiling toward the photos on the wall and away from them. For some reason, the ideal lighting to my eye is about one square out away from the wall where the photos are hanging.

For the ones lower on the wall, use the buyDebug lights that hang on walls and again play with moving them around until it looks right.
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    jenny0786 wrote:
    Wow Zoo your Art Gallery from Course 7 came out GREAT! I have left you a rec. I know that I am late to this class; SORRY

I will be working on this tonight as it is a "3" day weekend. LOL.

This is a useful course for people who do not want cc in their game but do want patterns.

Thanks, Jenny! Please use all that artwork from the museum in absolutely any way that you want!

Remember that if you are uploading and you ONLY upload the photos and not the pattern recolors, then people downloading your build aren't even getting a CAP pattern. No CC AND no pattern, just a selection of nice Sim-made photos! :mrgreen:

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    LucyBorgia wrote:

Zoo

It did, and I went through all the patterns in case I'd been distracted by elder son's talk about motorbikes and put it in the 'wrong' category (ie, not where I thought I'd put it!) once using custom content as a filter and once show all... Then I decided it was almost certainly there but just taking ages to show and went off to tell younger son it was time to go to sleep and came back to find the game had crashed as the store had updated.

So I went back through and made a pattern again labelling it take 2 and went through all the steps again and this time checked my installed content of the launcher before clicking play, so I know they're both in there! Just waiting for it to start up again...

Of course it's there now! I think the store update was what was delaying it. :wink:

LOL! It is ALWAYS something isn't it? It makes me so mad when I'm trying to do something and the Store is updating or the Site is updating or Photobucket is updating or my virus software is updating... Don't these people know that we are making stuff for our Sims and need to be left alone for a darn minute!!! :lol::lol::lol:
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for that very elaborate answer! I didn't qoute the post, didn't want to take up all the page ;)

1. I get it now, yay! I didn't understand the fact that you wanted the sticker in CAP to cover e.g. BOTH 2 & 3, I thought you meant covering 2 with one sticker and 3 with another. Therefore I didn't really get why 1 & 4 were excluded, but that makes so much more sense now lol :b

2. I see where I got confused here as well now lol - I had completely forgot about that wall covering! I thought it was frames or photographs, so I got a bit confuzzled :lol:

Thank you so much for clarifying all that for me! Don't think I'll have any problem with the rest now, so will head to bed (almost midnight here :shock: ) and finish this tomorrow!

Oh almost forgot! I wanted to share this pic:

[img]http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s543/BambooEaterrr/f712f151-0e45-4130-a115-3cbb91dc53ac_zps3f880cff.jpg?t=1377984078 "width=400"[/img]

I used the picture from the Steampunk: Return set and thought it added such a nice little touch to the frame, that I'd share with you all :D (never mind the photo itself, I'm not all too happy with that pattern lol, also didn't nail the recolor completely yet)

(And thanks a bunch for this class (and the precious ones as well!), you have no idea how much you've helped improve my builds!)

This is SO AWESOME! As per usual, I learned something from my own class! That Steampunk frame works great and I actually LOVE the photo that you used.

Great job and you taught me something that will enhance my own builds, too, because I didn't realize that frame would work for photos!

Thanks,

Zoo
    oow785m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top