Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ZooU Course11-Enhance Your Builds with Photography and CAP Tutorial-Links Post One

Comments

• ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited August 2013
    suepea wrote:
    2dklh7n.jpg

Is it time yet?

:roll:

I'm ready.

This is AWESOME! Who is this beautiful kitteh?
    oow785m
  • jenny0786jenny0786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited August 2013
    I cheat when it comes to skill building.

I have a cc mod type thing called Book of Talents. It allows me to click on it and master every skill; including hidden ones.

I am looking forward to this course!

I will be able to be "live" for this one :D
  • SamiKatSamiKat Posts: 3,786 Member
    edited August 2013
    Register me, please!!
  • suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited August 2013
    suepea wrote:
    2dklh7n.jpg

Is it time yet?

I'm ready.

This is AWESOME! Who is this beautiful kitteh?

Random internet kitteh :-) With good taste.
    h2xmsbl]
    edited August 2013
    jenny0786 wrote:
    I cheat when it comes to skill building.

I have a cc mod type thing called Book of Talents. It allows me to click on it and master every skill; including hidden ones.

I am looking forward to this course!

I will be able to be "live" for this one :D

Don't tell me about this stuff--- I already have MOD envy! LOL!

I have a fear of MODs but there are some I want SO much (Twallen's MODs have long tempted me).

I'm glad you can be with us live for this one!

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited August 2013
    samiam662 wrote:
    Register me, please!!

Done! Welcome and we will see you tomorrow!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    edited August 2013
    Zoo I have a list of questions I'm rounding up now been writing them down for over a month now.. Hehehehehe.. Sneaks paper in pocket.... Can't wait till tomorrow..
    edited August 2013
    BreeMiles wrote:
    Zoo I have a list of questions I'm rounding up now been writing them down for over a month now.. Hehehehehe.. Sneaks paper in pocket.... Can't wait till tomorrow..

That's excellent! If I can't answer them we'll see if we can't find someone who can!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • GreenDream19GreenDream19 Posts: 1,294 Member
    edited August 2013
    Hey Zoo! Not long to go now! :D

The downside of living in Australia is that it will be 5am when class starts! I'll do my best to check in on time! A strong coffee should do the trick! See you soon! :D

Edit: Me and my spelling mistakes! my bad! :D

• pixsidust2pixsidust2 Posts: 330 Member
    edited August 2013
    :( I'm going to miss class being live today. I just found out. I'm so bummed. I was in my simming mode, getting all comfy ready to have a long day of gaming when the BF called and was like "I have a surprise for you. Pack an overnight outfit and be ready to go in like an hour."

Ok, ok, so I am bummed about missing class but overnight surprises are awesome... :lol:
    Have fun everyone and I will see you when I get back! :mrgreen:

Edit: Also if anyone knows how to change what time zone forum posts show up as you would forever have all my love. It's 7 am here and my post is labeled as 3pm. >.<
    Origin ID: pixsidust
    Find me on FB: Pixsi Sims

tumblr_m6rsylPvKg1rziwwco1_500.gif
  • priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2013
    Wow, Pixsi! Sounds like you will have a good surprise! We will miss you, but you have fun! :D

I am getting excited for class... which I was close to missing also. Hubby decided he'd like to see a show today. What?!? :shock: Well, we are going tomorrow. As it happens, for some odd reason, I woke up with terrible lower back pain yesterday... I never have back pain. It is still here today, although not as bad. So I told him sitting in theater seats would not do it any good. :mrgreen:

BUT SITTING IN MY DESK CHAIR PLAYING SIMS IS GREAT FOR IT!!! :lol: I'll keep it to a minimum until class time, so he does not suspect anything. :hunf:
    edited August 2013
    pixsidust2 wrote:
    :( I'm going to miss class being live today. I just found out. I'm so bummed. I was in my simming mode, getting all comfy ready to have a long day of gaming when the BF called and was like "I have a surprise for you. Pack an overnight outfit and be ready to go in like an hour."

Ok, ok, so I am bummed about missing class but overnight surprises are awesome... :lol:
    Have fun everyone and I will see you when I get back! :mrgreen:

Poor you -- being whisked away at a moment's notice for an overnight surprise! Let's see -- spontaneous secret trip or sitting in front of the computer talking about Sims. Which should you choose?

Have fun and report back! :wink:
    h2xmsbl]
    edited August 2013
    priscapup wrote:
    Wow, Pixsi! Sounds like you will have a good surprise! We will miss you, but you have fun! :D

I am getting excited for class... which I was close to missing also. Hubby decided he'd like to see a show today. What?!? :shock: Well, we are going tomorrow. As it happens, for some odd reason, I woke up with terrible lower back pain yesterday... I never have back pain. It is still here today, although not as bad. So I told him sitting in theater seats would not do it any good. :mrgreen:

BUT SITTING IN MY DESK CHAIR PLAYING SIMS IS GREAT FOR IT!!! :lol: I'll keep it to a minimum until class time, so he does not suspect anything. :hunf:

Better than my hubby's idea of spending the day cleaning the house and then inviting someone over for dinner (well, the house will be clean, he says.) Never mind the fact that I will be exhausted from his cleaning marathon.

I hope your Simming therapy works wonders for your back :-)
    h2xmsbl]
  • Army008Army008 Posts: 141 Member
    edited August 2013
    register me please I've been busy and still haven't finished lesson 10 but I will be live for this one.

• BambooEaterrrBambooEaterrr Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2013
    There's about two hours till class starts right? :D

I will try to be here on time etc, but I may not be following it completely - I've been sick (well sicker lol) this entire week, kinda like having the flu and still not feeling too good. So I'm not really too focused atm - I'll try my best though! :D I really want to get the hang of this photography thing :b
    edited August 2013
    It is about fifteen minutes until class time.

I ask that no one post as I make my reserve posts for our lesson!
    oow785m
    edited August 2013
    Hello, and WELCOME! I’m so happy to see everyone and I hope we will have a good class today. There are two threads that I have put as recommended prerequisite reading for this course. One of the threads is a MUCH more comprehensive look at the photography skill in Sims 3 then I am going to be giving you today. The other is really good look at using CAP (the Create A Pattern tool) to make your own custom T-shirts. I have read and studied both of these myself and found them to be amazingly well-done and very helpful.

This course is not intended to replicate either of those threads.

You will see better tutorials on CAP and you will see better tutorials on using photography. The emphasis on THIS course is not about trying to redo things that others have already done well, the emphasis is on using these two ideas (CAP and photography) to get some AMAZING art for your builds.

Would you like the home office in your Sims house to have photos of your REAL LIFE family on the desk?

Would you like the painting over the fire place in your Sims mansion to be a famous work from Da Vinci or Rembrandt?

Would you like to have a poster of your favorite builder’s university *cough ZOO U cough* on the wall of your teen Sims dorm room?

Would you like to have a poster of your favorite real life (OR SIms) rock band on the wall of the local performance venue?

Would you like to have a souvenir poster from the trip your Sim family made to a Sims amusement park or circus to help remember the fun day?

How about a fancy sign with the house number at the end of your driveway? Or a sign on the wall for your Sims restaurant?

How about something tricky like a FAKE stained glass window?

Any and all of these things are EASY to accomplish using the clever application of CAP and the photography skill.

YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR GAME ON FOR THE FIRST PART OF THE LESSON BECAUSE WE WILL BE INSTALLING A PATTERN INTO YOUR GAME. PLEASE EXIT YOUR GAME IF YOU HAVE IT OPEN.

oow785m
    edited August 2013
    At this point, some examples might be nice. PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF YOU HAVE SEEN SOME OF THESE. My intention is to point up specific examples of how to make and/or use the photos and not to try to make you look at my builds a second time! :)

DISCLAIMER: I do not own most of the photos and paintings that I have used as the basis of this lesson. Since I am not in any fashion making money off them, claiming that I painted them, or in any fashion using them in a way that takes away anything from the original artist, I do not think there is anything unethical about this. Even at that, if the original artist asked me to take them off this lesson, then I definitely would.

Here is a photo that many of you will recognize if you took Zoo U Course 10: MOO U. It is my own homework house that Taryn assigned. See the D.N.A. poster? I got the art for that using the avatar photos from people on our team (grabbed right off the Sims site using the "save picture as" feature of a right mouse click), used the Paint program that is free with Windows to put them into this form and add the avatar for the team account, then made that a pattern in my game using CAP. After that I took a photo in the “large portrait” size and here is the result. You will see other photos from that class on the wall as well.

Screenshot-320-1.jpg"width=600"

In that same homework house, these are photos of paintings AND a little MOO trickery to get them “framed” (I will share this today as well).

Screenshot-280.jpg"width=600"

Look at the black and white photos on the chest. That is baby Zoo and baby Mr. Zoo.

Screenshot-262.jpg"width=600"

Here is a nice effect that adds a lot to the decor. I used landscapes with similar colors and the contrast in sizes makes a nice arrangement.

Screenshot-238-1.jpg"width=600"

Here is a “painting” (it is actually an in-game photograph, but the resolution of the graphic I used for my CAP pattern wasn’t that great, BUT the result is that it gives an effect like a painting instead of super-sharp clarity that is more like a photograph). The image is Taryn’s Sim self with her Sim versions of her real life doggies, by the way. : )

Screenshot-241.jpg"width=600"

In my Amazing Adventureland build (which is a huge amusement park), I used the techniques from this class to make signage, a huge park map, and the gift shop in these images. The patterns I made of the T-shirts with a wooden background and of the fronts of boxes of toys with wooden backgrounds were photographed and then placed against bookcases that I turned backwards and placed with MOO. I put the photos up in such a way that it looks as if you are seeing the front item on display with the effect that there are a whole line of similar things behind the one you can see. For NO CC, I think this give a pretty good effect.

Screenshot-490-1.jpg"width=600"

Screenshot-22.jpg"width=600"

Here are the wanted posters inside the jail in the Frontier Town area of the park.

Screenshot-452-1.jpg"width=600"

Here is the park map.
    Screenshot-457-1.jpg"width=600"

Here is signage for Frontier Town. Notice that I have used the panoramic size photos here.
    Screenshot-455-1.jpg"width=600"

Here is inside a house I built, you will see posters of a Sims amusement park (Fabulous Fairyland which I made), a real life amusement park (Camden Park), and “needlework” which I got by making a pattern of a quilt and then taking photos of particular quilt squares that showed embroidery.

Screenshot-894.jpg"width=600"

Screenshot-892.jpg"width=600"

Screenshot-893.jpg"width=600"

Here is a sign I made for The Greenwood Gallery. It is a CAP pattern that I took a photo of and used a panoramic size.

Screenshot-664.jpg"width=600"

Screenshot-663.jpg"width=600"

Okay, so after these examples I hope you have some ideas of how you would use photos to give you new artwork or signage and special effects like in the gift shop. Now let’s get down to the nitty gritty.

oow785m
    edited August 2013

NOTE: My directions are going to use Paint (the free program with Windows) and I am not going to spend any time really talking about using it as that is not the point of the lesson. You can use ANY image manipulation software that you like. So, if you want to Photoshop the heck out of it, go for it! :)

HOW DO I GET THE IMAGE??
    In this lovely digital age we live in, getting an image of what you want is as easy as Google and as close as your FaceBook album. Basically, if you can get the image in a digital fashion, you can hang it on the wall of your Sims house or put it on the front of your Sims T-shirt.

I put “mermaid” into the search engine and got a series of great images. Here is one of the ones that I liked (opened with the Paint program that comes free with Windows--- you will see the Paint toolbar). To grab any image you see, just right click on it and choose "save picture as" to put it into your computer. THEN you will want to open it with Paint (or your favorite program of that type).

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos15.png"width=600"

NOW IT IS TIME TO STOP READING AND START DOING! YOU SHOULD TAKE THE TIME TO FIND AN IMAGE THAT YOU WANT AS ARTWORK IN YOUR GAME. CHOOSE SOMETHING THAT IS A RECTANGLE IN SHAPE AND TRY TO FIND ONE THAT ISN’T TOO STRETCHED OUT OR TOO NEARLY SQUARE (REMEMBER THAT WE ARE AIMING FOR THE BUILT-IN LANDSCAPE OR PORTRAIT SHAPES THAT THE IN-GAME CAMERA WILL TAKE.

zoo_u_plumbobseal_Dividers.png"width=600"

If you're reading this, you have a nice image saved in your computer ready to become a photo on your wall. What? You DON'T have your image? THEN GO GET ONE AND SAVE IT TO YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE YOU COME BACK. Don't MAKE me put you in detention!

zoo_u_plumbobseal_Dividers.png"width=600"

Now we have our image, but

HOW DO I EDIT THE IMAGE TO MAKE IT BEST FOR USE IN CAP?

First off, you CAN use the same “Pictures” location where you have lots of artwork, but I think it is MUCH better to have a folder (on your desktop) that contains ONLY the images that you have optimized for use with CAP.

If you want to do this, go to your desktop and right click. Choose “new” and then “folder” when you get a drop-down menu. Name your folder something useful (mine is called Pics for T-Shirts because that is all I used CAP for for a long while).

Now, there are two ways to think of the images that you want to put into CAP and then photograph as artwork. Either you want edging (like a frame or a mat that will surround the artwork) or you want to take the photo in such a way that it goes ALMOST to the edge of your image (cropping out stuff on the very edges).

When I first started doing this I took a lot of images and put them into frames (using cut and paste in Paint) and then put that image in the very center of the grid in CAP and then I had to be so perfect with taking the photograph (and even then if the proportions of your image are not the proportions of the photo sizes available to you in the game it will just look terrible).

I soon learned that the easiest thing BY FAR is to make a colored (or white if you prefer) mat all the way around your image. Then when you take the photo, even if the proportions of the image are longer or wider than the photos you can take, you can fool the eye a bit with the mat.

You can ALSO manipulate how wide or tall your image is when in CAP, so that also gives you some control. After awhile you can tell by sight whether your image is going to be too tall or too wide and then adjust accordingly.

SO, let’s select our mermaid photo, copy it, and then paste it into the middle of a larger Paint window. Like this:

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos16.png"width=600"

And I think I would like the mat to be a blue that is in the painting, so I will recolor it (but you don’t have to):

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos17.png"width=600"

That looks to suit me. Now use the Save As command and choose the new folder on your Desktop as the location of this save. Name it something that you will recognize AND that has less than 23 characters. The CAP program will resize images that are too big but it can’t handle file names that are too long for images that you wish to add.

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos18.png"width=600"

NOW YOU SHOULD EDIT YOUR IMAGE AND PUT A NICE MAT AROUND IT IN THE COLOR OF YOUR CHOICE.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    oow785m
    edited August 2013
    If you are here, you should have an image that you want to make into wall art, it should have been edited to have a mat and it should be saved to the Desktop folder that you created specifically for CAP-optimized images. If you do NOT have that done, go back to the previous steps and do it. Come back here when you are ready to make your pattern.

zoo_u_plumbobseal_Dividers.png"width=700"

Now Open CAP and you should see something like this:

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos22.png"width=700"

Since photographs in the game can tend to be darker than the pattern, it is a good idea to make the pattern as light and bright as you can.

I like to adjust the brightness in layer one so that it is all the way to bright white (or you will sometimes want a different color, but bright is good still for a starting place).

You will be adding the image in layer two, but first we have to get this image into CAP as a sticker. Click the Add Sticker button to do that. See the graphic:

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos34.png"width=700"

It will ask you where you want to get your sticker image from, use the button to make the location go up levels until you get to your Desktop and then choose the folder you just put there and the image you just put into it.

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos21.png"width=700"

Now move up to level two on the levels of the pattern you are making. Choose the hand icon and choose the sticker you just added (should be the last one in the list). Center and adjust as desired to make it look as much like this as possible.

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos23.png"width=700"

Now, I am a better artist than I am a photographer, so most of the time I will try to make the whole background match my mat color. If you can manage to take a photo that doesn’t go way out too far you won’t have to worry about this as much. I go back to level one and adjust the color (and brightness) until I match the mat as close as I can.

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos24.png"width=700"

With all the grid lines on there it is sometimes difficult to tell if my color is really as close as it looks to be, so I will look at it in a simulated game situation. Choose the icon on the lower left that looks like a cube with a camera. Then choose wall and apply you pattern.

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos25.png"width=700"

If you still need to edit something, choose the icon that looks like a pencil and it will take you back to the edit mode.

If everything looks to suit you, then we need to Export our pattern.

Choose the circle on the lower left that has the three dots on it.

Choose Export from the drop down menu. Name it something you will recognize AND CHOOSE A MATERIAL THAT YOU WILL REMEMBER. I like to put paintings in the Paint section of patterns, but that is just an idea. Wicker and Weave doesn’t have that much in it, so that isn’t a bad place to put it. Where ever you put it, make note of it. I chose to put this one in Themed because my Paint section is pretty full in my game. :)

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos27.png"width=700"

You don’t have to include any description if you don’t plan to upload your pattern to the Exchange. I am just going to put the pattern into my game and photograph it, so now I will close CAP. It will fuss and tell me that I haven’t saved it, but I don’t care because I have Exported it to my game.

NOW USE THESE STEPS TO PUT YOUR IMAGE INTO YOUR GAME.

If you are here you should have a pattern that you have Exported to your game. If you don't have, go back to the previous steps and catch up, then come back here.

Now, open your Launcher.

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos30.png"width=700"

Go to Uploads and sort for Patterns only. Scroll down until you see your pattern.

Check the box beside your pattern and choose Show File. The list of uploads for your game should appear and this one (which will be at the top of the list if you have your game organized like mine) will be highlighted. Double click on it.

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos31.png"width=700"

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos32.png"width=700"

This is exactly like installing something in your game. Soon a box will pop up that shows a file uploading and it will say that you have successfully uploaded your new pattern.

1. NOW DO THIS TO INSTALL YOUR NEW PATTERN INTO YOUR GAME. AFTER YOU DO THAT YOU WILL BE OPENING UP YOUR GAME FOR THE NEXT PART OF THE LESSON.

2. YOU WILL WANT TO USE BOTH testingCheatsEnabled true AND buyDebug on IN THE MAIN MENU OF YOUR GAME (BEFORE YOU CHOOSE A GAME TO PLAY)

3. YOU SHOULD PROBABLY PUT YOUR TESTER SIM (WITH HIGH PHOTOGRAPHY SKILL) ON AN EMPTY LOT IN A NEW GAME.

4. SHIFT-CLICK THE MAILBOX AND SET THE NEEDS TO STATIC.

5. TURN OFF AUTO-ROOF

6. CALL FOR SERVICE AND CANCEL THE NEWSPAPER DELIVERY.

7. SET THE MOON PHASE TO A SINGLE PHASE AND DO NOT CHOOSE FULL MOON (IF YOU HAVE SUPERNATURAL)

8. SET THE SEASONS TO SUMMER ONLY AND THE WEATHER TO SUNSHINE ONLY (IF YOU HAVE SEASONS)

9. TURN OFF THE AUTONOMY.

oow785m
    edited August 2013

You will want to build a huge rectangular room with no windows. Use the ceiling lights from buyDebug and make sure that your room is VERY well-lit.

Paint the floor and walls so that your Sim doesn’t get an unfinished moodlet.

Choose a single section of wall and go into Create A Style. Change that wall to the pattern that you just made and installed into your game.

Screenshot-111.jpg"width=700"

Now move your Sim a distance away (you will need to do a little experimentation) and take photos of the pattern.

I would suggest that you pause your game and give your Sim instructions to take three or four photos. I would also set the settings on the camera before beginning to take pictures. You will either want “large portrait” or “medium landscape” for large wall art. Most of the time you will want to set the style of photos to Color.

Be careful NOT to have the edges of the image look slanted. You may have to move your Sim further away or closer up, but you SHOULD be able to get the viewer of the camera in a position to capture the image with the edges looking straight up and down, not slanted.

Screenshot-112.jpg"width=700"

Even ONE image can get lots of different effects. Play around with the style and with the size and capture different parts of your pattern as the focal point of the photograph.

Here are some examples of what I did with my mermaid painting image.

Screenshot-115.jpg"width=700"

Screenshot-113.jpg"width=700"

Screenshot-117.jpg"width=700"

Now I can recolor all the frames and that works fine, BUT what if you want something a bit more substantial than the simple frames that the photographs automatically get?

Well, for medium landscapes and for small portraits, there are some photos in the game what you can overlap (using MOO) that will really give a good effect. I like to use the high school diploma and the artwork shown for this purpose.

Screenshot-116.jpg"width=700"

Here is the small portrait size with the oval framed art. It isn’t perfect, but still nice.

Screenshot-119.jpg"width=700"

Screenshot-120.jpg"width=700"

Here is the medium landscape (you may want to use the Alt key and slide the photograph until it sits centered in the frame) with the high school diploma and the painting frames.

Screenshot-118.jpg"width=700"

NOW TAKE PHOTOS OF YOUR PATTERN. EXPERIMENT TO TRY TO GET DIFFERENT EFFECTS BUT ONLY AFTER YOU GET ONE OF TWO GOOD PHOTOS OF THE NICELY MATTED ARTWORK IN COLOR IN EITHER THE LARGE PORTRAIT OR MEDIUM LANDSCAPE SIZE.

oow785m
    edited August 2013

Even though this lesson is not intended to teach all about CAP (because your teacher doesn’t claim to KNOW all about CAP), there are some things that are worth mentioning.

If you watched the T-shirt tutorial, you know that placement of the pattern in the grid of the CAP program has everything to do with how well your pattern fits on your T-shirt. It occurred to me that we could have a better strategy than guess-and-check when it comes to something like that.

If I want to put something on a wall and have it NOT repeat, is that possible? If it is, where would I put it to make that happen?

What about a pattern on an item of clothing? If I want it on the front of my shirt but not also on the sleeve, how can I do that?

The important thing here is the same thing they tell you to pay attention to in real estate: Location, Location, Location!

You will need a numbered grid to make this work. You can make your own if you want, OR you can just download the one that I made:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7605971

It is worth noting here that you need this BOTH in your game AND as a sticker in CAP, so you need to download and install it as always AND you need to right click on the image of the pattern on the Exchange page and choose “save picture as” and save it in your pictures folder that you use for CAP. Then put it into CAP as a sticker WITHOUT ANY MAT OR BORDER (so no need to edit it in Paint first).

Now, let’s look at a few different wall coverings. You will see that each wall covering is shown first with no recolor, then each successive wall panel has a recolor of a new channel on the wall using the grid to recolor (the grid is in the Fabric section of Create A Style).

Screenshot-3.jpg"width=700"]

Notice that if I wanted a pattern on the upper part of the wall on the left, and if I didn’t want it repeated, I can only cover the 2 and 3 squares. But if I wanted to do the same thing on the wall on the right, I can cover the 2, 3, 6, and 7 squares without getting any repeat.

We can take that idea of placement to the ultimate extreme, too. Look at these walls. They have areas INSIDE the frames that can be recolored.

Screenshot-85.jpg"width=700"

Screenshot-84.jpg"width=700"

I made careful note of where the grid shows in the frames. I also kept these photos handy while in CAP.

Here is what I did then:
    1. Make sure you are NOT in your game.
    2. Open CAP
    3. In Level One, Make it as Bright and White as possible
    4. In Level Two, Put the Grid (which you should have added as a sticker already) up so that it exactly lines up with the large square.
    5. In Levels Three and Four, add the artwork you want in the frames. Consult the photos of the wall sections to see where the grid shows in the frames. We want our artwork to show ONLY in those areas. I just used some of the stickers of paintings that I already had, but you could add some intended for this purpose. Cover the grid (which you can see in the level below) in just the right places.
    6. Once the placement is perfect, go to level two and delete the grid. We only want this for placement.
    7. Export your Pattern.
    8. Open the launcher and put the pattern into your game as described earlier in the lesson.
    9. When you are next in your game you should be able to recolor these wall sections and have your artwork in the frames.

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos12.png"width=700"

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos13.png"width=700"

Here are my results. This was my first attempt, so it isn’t perfect but it looks pretty good.
    Screenshot-108.jpg"width=700"

I loved how these walls looked so much that I added photos of my own as well.

Screenshot-123.jpg"width=700"

My niece and her husband (see the lovely couple on the right) don’t need to know that they are in a Zoo U lesson. They have been “artwork” inside many a house I’ve built, so they shouldn’t be too upset. Well, if they KNEW about being in the Sims houses I’ve uploaded then being in the lesson shouldn’t be a big deal...

ANYWAY!

oow785m
    edited September 2013
    You can take this idea of perfect placement into Create A Sim as well. Consider this blouse.

Screenshot-61.jpg"width=700"

And with the grid recolor.

Screenshot-62.jpg"width=700"

I noticed that there was a small area in the corner of the 5 square that is just where a brooch would sit on her blouse AND it wasn’t seen anywhere else in the garment. That last is really important as we are adding a piece of jewelry that we DON’T want to see repeated a dozen places.

I went into my search engine again and found a nice brooch. I cleaned it up and made it have a white background in Paint, then made it a sticker in CAP.

Then I did the following:
    1. Make sure you are NOT in your game.
    2. Open CAP
    3. In Level One, Make it as Bright and White as possible
    4. In Level Two, Put the Grid (which you should have added as a sticker already) up so that it exactly lines up with the large square.
    5. In Level Three put the brooch in ONLY the tiny area in the 5 square. Consult the photo of the Sim in the grid recolored blouse to help.
    6. Once the placement is perfect, go to level two and delete the grid. We only want this for placement.
    7. Export your Pattern.
    8. Open the launcher and put the pattern into your game as described earlier in the lesson.

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos7.png"width=700"

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos4.png"width=700"

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos5.png"width=700"

Doesn't she look nice?

Screenshot-65.jpg"width=700"

Screenshot-64.jpg"width=700"

It would be a piece of cake to make the background of the brooch and the blouse in a color other than white, too. It was much more challenging to make it on a pattern, but I did that as well.

Broach on pattern after placement using the grid trick:
    Sims3ZooUCourse11photos8.png"width=700"

Adding the pattern behind the broach:
    Sims3ZooUCourse11photos9.png"width=700"

Sims3ZooUCourse11photos10.png"width=700"

After covering the entire surface with the pattern and installing the pattern, here is what it looks like in game.

aae753fe-602e-44e3-b318-0daf55f45cb6.jpg"width=700"

Realize that the pattern I made for this blouse will not necessarily work for any other piece of clothing BUT it may also work for some of them. It worked well for this vest outfit.

Screenshot-67.jpg"width=700"

You can use the grid trick for precise placement on walls, furniture, and Sims. Just remember to FIRST put the grid recolor on whatever you are working with while still in your game and take some photos of it so you can use them for reference. Then EXIT YOUR GAME and use the grid to place the stickers in CAP.

One of the other interesting things I found when working with CAP was something I discovered while building Belladonna’s Tower. I needed hay for a dragon nest box. Nothing looked right, so I found a hay texture online and used CAP to put it into my game, but it still didn’t look right because it was clearly flat.

Then I recolored the sand piles from World Adventures with this hay texture and it worked PERFECTLY. That brought up ideas of other things I could make using recolored sand. I think using a pattern of ground-cover flowers on the sand works really great.

Here are some examples:
    Screenshot-102.jpg"width=700"

Screenshot-96.jpg"width=700"

Screenshot-104.jpg"width=700"

Screenshot-105.jpg"width=700"

Screenshot-103.jpg"width=700"

Okay, that’s it for the lesson. Like many things, the best way to get good at this is to PRACTICE. There is going to be a homework assignment designed to give you the chance to do that.

It is strongly encouraged that you make a thread to showcase your Zoo U homework, but you certainly do not HAVE to do that. If you do it, please post on this thread with a link to your homework showcase. Anyone who does that will be featured in the Blackcat Builders (student showcase) post in this thread. It is just for fun and so that we can all learn from each other, so please consider doing it!

oow785m
    edited September 2013
    Homework:
    1. Make a poster of a real world place. It should look like advertising or a souvenir from the place.
    2. Make a poster of a Sim community lot. It should look like advertising or a souvenir from the place.
    3. Make a set of photographs of close ups of flowers in a small portrait size. These should look good displayed together.
    4. Make a set of photographs that in some way celebrate summer (use assorted sizes of photos).
    5. Make photographs of three to five famous paintings.
    6. Make a photograph of one of your builds or one of your Sims that could be used as wall art.
    7. Make a photograph of one of your real world pets or family members.
    8. Find an in game piece of wall art that you like and make a photograph that will be an ideal companion piece for it if they were displayed together.
    9. Make a sign of some sort.
    10. Show all of the previous items displayed to advantage in photos on your homework thread (this can be in one of the houses that you have built or could just be in a room box that you build for the purpose of displaying them or it could be in an EA house).
    11. Read the T-Shirt Tutorial if you haven’t already done so. Make yourself a Zoo U T-shirt and take a photo of your Sim wearing it.
    12. Choose a shirt or an outfit and add jewelry to it in ONE place using the “perfect placement” idea.
    13. IF you have the EP that will allow it, try the perfect placement of pattern to fill the frames in the Miscellaneous Wallcoverings as shown in class. Take a photo of your efforts.
    14. IF you have the EP that will allow it, try the technique of recoloring sand to make a new ground-covering flower type for your flower beds. Take a photo of your efforts.

SEE NEXT POST ABOUT AN EXCITING CLASS PROJECT!!!

MY GIFT TO ALL MY BUILDER FRIENDS:
    My Greenwood Gallery is FULL of art on all the walls. You can download it and strip the walls bare to use in your own builds. That is what I made the gallery for. It delights me to see the art from this lot in the builds of my friends.
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7177890

Supplemental Lesson
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/240/707132.page#11308926

oow785m
    edited August 2013

A Class Project Proposal

This course seems like a great place for a collaborative project since everyone is making art that could be placed up on walls.

My idea is that there will be a lot (an artist's boardwalk was my idea, but you could do an art museum OR something I'm not even thinking of but that someone in the class might have in mind) that ONE of the students would build, but there would be individual areas that each person would have for display of their photos and paintings.

Here is what I am picturing in my head (there might well be a better way to do this, but I don't see it just now-- suggestions are welcome!!!):

1. The class would spend this week while everyone is working on their individual homework popping by this thread to discuss ideas for what would be built and who might build it.

2. If desired, more than one person in the class could build something and then the students would decide as a group which build to use for the project.

3. Everyone who makes artwork for the build would upload a Sim with that artwork in the Sim's inventory (so it should be an upload as a household) with permission given for all the artwork to be used for the class project in the description of the Sim. No Sim should have ANY CC or CAP as the builder for the project will be downloading these Sims and we don't want to force them to download CC or CAP if they do not wish to.

4. The builder will then take everyone's artwork and put it on display in the build. Then the builder would take photos to show everyone in the class to make sure everyone is happy with the placement of their artwork prior to upload.

5. Once his or her classmates are happy with the WIP photos, the builder would then upload the final project with every Zoo U student who contributed artwork listed in the lot description.

ANYONE WHO CONTRIBUTES TO THE PROJECT WOULD GIVE PERMISSION FOR ARTWORK TO BE USED IN LOTS FOR UPLOAD WITHOUT THE NEED FOR CREDIT TO BE GIVEN.

The builder is NOT giving permission for his or her lot to be uploaded, but everyone who contributes artwork IS giving permission for that to be used and uploaded in lots on the Exchange.

Creative Corner and all the builders here have been SO good to Zoo U. They have taught for us, supported us, registered for the classes, and not complained about all the Zoo U course threads AND all the homework threads we have all made.

I just think this would be a great gift that we could give back to other builders, free artwork that they can hang on their walls and a fun venue for their Sims to visit, too.

Is this something that the class would be interested in doing? Please post your questions, your comments, and your concerns.

Next Saturday I will look at the consensus of the group and we will make a decision. By the way, IF we decide to do this, I think we should take a whole month to actually make it. I would like to really represent the best of Zoo U, so I don't want anyone to feel rushed.

Zoo

oow785m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top