Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

World Explorers - Chapter 4

Comments

• HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited July 2013
    Oh that's great news, WR! So good to hear he found something that will suit. Congratulations to Pete and to you too! I know this has to be a big relief. Hope he loves it!

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2013
    Thanks everybody - I just shared the posts with Pete. He has a big grin on.

He just got in from his first day and is real enthusiastic and loved his first day - the people there - the owners couldn't be nicer - everyone going out of their way to "Welcome Him aboard".

He looks relieved and like all the stress in his face that's been growing these past months seems to have completely vanished.

Yes Rukaya, I concur - Docs world plays beautifully and looks real nice as well. Last night though I was playing in Quailhogs Stoneshields most of the night. Both are definite keepers for me, so I will be back to both of them at some point. I am busy trying to make up all new user worlds seeing I did not keep any from before this install - so I have saves in those I want to keep as I figure all the ones I list as keepers now will be the ones I play beside EA worlds once all the eps are done - so I want to make sure all the keepers play well with all eps with at least as little stuck sims problems as possible and no routing nuttiness.

Tonight I have 3 or 4 I want to be checking out - two are islands - but everytime I see an island I really know I want Isle of Sims and really wish I could add ports and stuff to it as no island I have ever played was ever as good as Isle of Sims - but I just can't trust the WE not to make a mess of things. It would be so perfect just with a few ports and a few islands added. I just will always love that world I guess. But anyway it seems like everytime I find a decent looking island I always find myself comparing it to Isle of Sims and they just never seem to measure up. I think if any does it will be DM's new world and possibly Beach City as I had a good vibe going with Beach City before my Vampire Lounge thing as it sort of felt like Isle of Sims grown up and modernized a bit.

But if I have 10 island worlds I am happy with - my sims worlds will make me thoroughly happy. So I am mainly trying to find 7-8 other Island worlds I like, 6 everything worlds, and two fantasy and two dessert/western styles to round off what I know I will like to keep as forever worlds. So I am being really picky as I know I am getting "into the future" - so I need to make sure what I deem keepers will also look acceptable for that too.

Actually Rukaya - the western stuff is what I wanted for Mesa Valley and my other dessert worlds - it rounds off Pets and has an all in one OUTHOUSE which this games needs big time in all worlds. I love the new Goth stuff in that pack and the vintage stuff that will also work well in Dragon Valley. Theres a lot more than the cowboy stuff. But then I love western gear. I wear western gear. Always have. Boots are my preferred shoe ware as I can't stand heels or dressy looking shoes - they hurt. I like confortable shoes and a good part of cowboy style boots are the best. Nevermind they keep me surefooted. In fact Pete and I first actually started talking at a CB coffee break because of our respective Cowboy hats - we were like the only two people in Maine who ran around all the time in boots and hats and fringed vests and coats. I walked up to him the same time he walked up to me and both at the same time laughed and said "Hey you're the guy (girl) with the hat". It was so funny. He wore western gear in Colorado where he had been for a couple years after he got out of the service working as an Electrician for Black Cloud mines. Me I was an avid horseback rider since I was 7 and it was the clothes to wear. So I am most comfortable in either western gear or Bohemian style clothing. Shoes are the western or mocassin boots or sandals.

ETA: Just sharing the new ad my son Allen has just put up for the Computer place he works at. My son also has his best friend he has had since 3rd grade working there too now - his friend is Johnny Cash -
    http://www.tcinh.com/about.html

Post edited by Unknown User on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited July 2013
    Hey guys :)
    Rflong I hope you are feeling better.
    Just popping in to let you guys know that I have extremely good news... ;)
    More details on Monday, when I'll make sure that everything is as good as it should be , with a blood test.
    First doc appointment hopefully sometime next week, or if he sees fit about 2 weeks from now, so things will be bigger and easier to see :)
    Love ya all , and sharing hapiness with you all.
    Wish me luck :)
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2013
    Oh? .... I was gonna go and get all excited but I'll hold the happy, happy until the news is ready!!11one :mrgreen:

Hmm... sweet :D
    screenshot_original.jpg

*The meds are helping, Thanks :D
    edited July 2013
    OHHHHHH doodie, doodie as Tweety bird would say when he is really happy about something!!!! I will try and contain my excitement though.

I must be an exciteable sim as I feel like jumping up and down and clapping and giggling like a school girl Gem.

Yay Gem!!!!!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• RukayaRukaya Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited July 2013
    Reggie I like the goth stuff too. I know my GD will be thrilled.
    Gem am poised to do a Happy Dance, but am holding off. :D
    Rflong yahoo you are feeling better. such a happy thread. :D
    Now will check out that site of your son's, Reggie. :D
  • geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited July 2013
    Rflong can't wait to get my hands on that world of yours...Isla Paradiso is too small for my tastes.

Things so far look normal. Im super sleepy all the time, and very nauseous. I don't seem to be able to digest anything. Mike is going ballistic.
    Never seen him like that. He suddenly became very helpful in the house.
    Waiting for the blood test mostly to make sure that everything is growing as it should.
    Home test showed in 30 seconds. So we are def happy , but we just don't want to jynx it, till we are done with the blood test.
    We are planning on telling my father as a birthday gift.:P

I still don't believe it :p
    You guys can jump up and down all you want, just keep the full excitement till Monday.

Love you all and thank you for being happy for us , for the most beautiful time in our life
    edited July 2013
    Oh my gosh! <jumps up and down with everyone else>

I'm so full of anticipation I could pop! LOL! Will try to patiently wait until Monday for full happy mode. :lol:

Hugs and double hugs to both you and Mike. :D

edited July 2013
    For sure! Oh what a marvelous birthday gift for your dad. Hey milk that Mike being helpful for all it's worth - believe me it is a good habit for him to get into early on so it will be come more natural for him to just do it when you will really appreciate it. Yeah - you definitely have all the sympthoms. I know what you mean about not jinxing. Just stay happy and calm and that should keep the jinxing down. We can do all the happy dancing we want - YAY!!! Happy dance! Happy dance! For Gem and Mike and.... hehehe

In dreams - I LIVE!

• DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    edited July 2013
    Wow, two pieces of good news! Congrats to Pete on the job and to Gem who didn't quite say it, LOL. Definitely happy for one and all!!! :mrgreen:

Glad you are feeling better, Rflong. I detest ear infections.

I've got to get dinner started but wanted to share in a really happy moment for the thread. I even have a blooper pic to share.

It would appear snowstorms make boating a hazardous outing :lol:

2wp5578.jpg
  • Greenb70Greenb70 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited July 2013
    I stopped in at the right time.Congrats on the job front to Pete and to Gem on the can't spill the beans just yet,happy news. :mrgreen:
    edited July 2013
    Great pic, DD. It reminded me that I haven't even tried to see if a boat will fit in a double garage with a car! :-o

SimGuruGraham tweeted this article - I thought it was sort of revealing in that a lot of people have been saying that the blowback from SimCity is why TS4 will be offline. EA actually confirms this in the article. :shock:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/23/eas-frank-gibeau-on-interview-part-1/

And now I need to get off the computer. My bratty boy cat is laying all over my arm in an effort to stop me from using the mouse. He wants me to go feed him. :P

edited July 2013
    Hey any of you wanting a change from IP but with everything IP has plus - check out this world that I am presently testing -

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/700563.page#11138094

the link to the world for testing in down in about the 6 or 7th post - but let me tell you the pictures do not do it justice. It is a real cute idea of islands - each is a different shape and the roads on each island is named after the island. She has all the eps - no sps and no store and no CC in here.

She has dive spots and hidden islands as well. I have not been in any of the dive spots yet - so far just checking the lots, the roads, the builds, the ports and docks - but she has done a real good job so far... anyway thought I'd mention it if any one was interested.

ETA -Now that is funny DD - the boat wants in out of the cold. hehehe

Well Tangie - that seems to confirm at least some of what I had been reading - and like I said that game engine Sims 4 was on was an MMO engine strictly for online use - so I hope to heaven they changed to a different engine or that one is going to be a nightmare eventually if they didn't. if they just removed the online capability - well I see lots of trouble with that kind of thing. Besides that will leave them too easily open to try and sneak us online eventually anyway. I definitely need to find out the engine Sims 4 is on before I decide to pre-order - I know that much -

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited July 2013
    DD that is a funny picture. silly boat. :D
    Reggie I am not even sure I want to get involved with sims4. I am so very invested in sims3. My big concern for the future is that someday EA will close up shop so to speak on sims 3, I will have to figure out, hopefully with lots of help from all of you how to insure that I don't lose all my store stuff all the player made worlds and all my downloads of all your lovely builds and sims. I try not to think about it right now. Sims2 was not a problem because although I do'd some things I never bought anything. Actually I don't even think I knew about a store. Sharp as a tack, that's me. :? For certain I would not jump right in. I would want to see what you all would have to say about it.
    Reggie thanks for the telling us about that new world that needs testing. I went to that thread and volunteered my help and dl'd the Beta. Don't know if I will get around to testing today as I am really very tired. Haven't been sleeping well again. Pesky insomnia. :(
    Tangie thanks for the heads up on that info re: sims4. For sure I wouldn't even think about playing online. the terrible experiences you had with Simcity was really inexcusable on EAs part.
    edited July 2013
    Definitely know what you mean - the "unknown" even in games can be intimidating Rukaya.

Well as far as the Sims 2 store you really didn't miss much - as it was nothing much like Sims 3 store. When it first started it was more of a way to get stuff packs a piece or two at a time - as they mostly had stuff pack item in there - that way you could just buy the things you wanted to from Stuff packs. The pricing was fair as they took the price of the stuff pack and divided it fairly equal for each item - that way you never got stuff in a stuff pack you didn't want. Also in the beginning of Sims 2 we did not have the Sims 2 store - if I recall I believe it started up about the time John Ricitiello started as CEO - as I always associated it as his idea to start getting us to buying virtual content. He had that insight from the time he started here as Ceo about EA going all online and I think he played on our weaknesses. It was only after the store had been out a while they offered a few new items that could only be gotten through the store - like the infant baby stuff and a few hairs both of which they seemed to know Simmers just had to have. But by then the store had been around for sometime. I am not positive but I think that the baby stuff showed up like the last year of Sims 2 as it was that and the hair style that finally drew me in. I had no use for buying stuff pack stuff in the store seeing I always bought the full stuff packs when they came out. So although I knew of the store - I really didn't use it before the baby stuff came out. I recall it was a baby swing and the baby gym that got me - as the baby gym was just too adorable for words. The sims though were very annoying as far as using the content. Everytime I would put an infant in the baby gym and got the baby playing with it, a sim would come and pick them up. Just about annoyed me senseless.

But the store was really not much of a deal back in Sims 2.

In Sims 3 when they started up the store right off the bat with a piece of clothing at a time it did attract my attention for the fact it was content we could not get anywhere else. I guess EA learned from all our reactions to the baby stuff in Sims 2 to tease us with content we could only get at the store.

But it is very understandable why you didn't know much about the Sims 2 store. Never mind the fact that Sims 2 had like twice the stuff packs as Sims 3 had and for the money they had lots of stuff in them in comparison. The Sims 2 stuff packs tended to cover the whole family a lot better than Sims 3 has. I believe that is another reason a lot of Simmers have been upset with Sims 3 - as they seem to mainly concentrate on the YA age.

I do believe Sims 4 big draw is going to be that they are perhaps going back to that format and enticing simmers through Sims kids. It is not so much as in what they are saying - but a feeling I have in between what little has been said about Sims 4. I see if they do what I think they are going to do, Simmers will flock to Sims 4 - perhaps not right off the bat, but if they concentrate on the young sims as much as the YA's - they are going to pull back in all the simmers who have grown weary of all they are missing from Sims 2. Of course it is a wait and see kind of thing and only an assumption of mine - but if they do use that strategy - I know a lot of simmers will be drawn to Sims 4.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited July 2013
    WR I agree that there are some things that could pull people in for TS4. But for me it won't be enough to just add more things and interactions for the whole family. The routing needs to be a whole lot better and so do general game mechanics. I think they really cheaped out quite a bit on money for developing TS3. Some of the game is really fabulous but there are way too many things IMO that are half baked, buggy, and uncoordinated. Just think about it - we have TWO fame systems, TWO musical performance systems, TWO apartment systems...there are probably more that I'm forgetting - and none of these systems even work particularly well. Explain that to me - two tries and you still couldn't get it right? :roll:

I think I just feel burned right now. I have willingly supported this series, buying nearly everything, but I definitely feel that I need to see some real effort being put into the next version before I throw my money at them the next time. :wink:

• tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    edited July 2013
    ohh my I take a couple of days with my GD's and I miss all the excitement!!

Tell Pete Congrats on the new job for me too Reggie!! and Gem I am all excited for you and like the others can not wait til Monday to tell you so!

OK now I gotta go back and read more carefully the last 2 pages of updates and post some promised pics that I am late with :wink:

Ohh and my sim Tammy Simeyer just got featured!! :mrgreen:
    edited July 2013
    Yay Tammiejo for the feature.

Definitely get what you are saying Tangie. I sometimes feel the "burn" but new stuff always traps me like a fly to sticky paper. I am weak. So sad - they get me everytime. I do think though that article said a lot of why Sims 3 was such a disaster as they were using renderware game engine - which is a 3 D game engine with al lot of the losse ends going no where. Renderware was considered a game engine ahead of it's time and in any games produced on the renderware so much was missing that has not even been designed properly for pc gaming - that as reported had to be worked around by the engineers. I had heard that info from at least two other companies who had also produced games on renderware with some very similar sims 3 like problems.

The very fact they went on a full 3 d engine was crazy seeing the full 3 d rendered games out there and there are not many require the use of the special 3 D glasses and the video cards that render the full 3 D. my video card does, but I neither have a 3 d compliant video monitor nor the game glasses - never mind the fact this game is very low on the scale of 3 D. Technically according to my son Sims 2 has a higher 3 D rating than Sims 3 - if it was actually full 3 D - with out the monitor and glasses the worlds and everything would be a blurry mess - which is not true at all. So the whole design of the renderware left large gaps in the programming that really made the kind of play we wanted in sims 3 unobtainable. Instead as was reported there was little time for working on fixing issues because the team was so busy making a game that would reasonably work. I know programmers who have looked at the sims 3 programming claim it is a real nightmare - and from what I have seen written they are in awe of the Sims 3 engineers that they could even make a playable game out of that mess. but then of course programmers tend to stick together - sort of like the thin blue line of the police - so who knows for sure but them as I don't read C+++ programming at all. I lost it when machine basic stopped being used - a long, long time ago.

But renderware being ahead of it time has proven to be fact as movie professionals that use 3 D to make movies say it is still trial and error because even today there is so much that has not been perfected as far as true 3 D is. But I was glad that fact was brought up as I had seen that fact brought up in other circles and EA always remained pretty mum on it. So the very fact they know this and have made it clear renderware is out has got to be a better decision. I just hope their new choice of engine is not the new Glass engine they used for Sims City seeing that like cloud computing - and online connections and such - which could be another whole bunch of problem with a non -online game. I say could be - but I don't know for a fact.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited July 2013
    Tammyjo, congratulations on your sim being featured! That's great news! She's a fun sim to play so I'm glad a Guru noticed her. :D

WR I agree - I thought the whole article was very informative. I have heard some people say that TS4 is being built on the same engine as SC. I don't know where they are getting that info but I've heard it more than once. I spent a little time over on the SC forum today, which I haven't done in a good long while, and it sounds like many of the same issues are still a big problem. Buggy and nonfunctional, in fact. I guess they are getting ready to put out the 6th update, but Ocean Quigley, the Creative Director, has left EA with 2 other people who worked on the game to form an independent studio. They plan on making mobile games. (Why am I not surprised?)

If they did use the same engine, that makes me pretty nervous about how well TS4 is going to function.

edited July 2013
    Yep - like I said that is the one they call the Glassbox engine and is indeed for online and cloud computing. Makes no sense to have Sims 4 on that if they mean what they say about keeping it a single player game as we have no reason to have cloud computing and definitely no reason to need the 300 servers it is affiliated with.

ETA -I spent all evening trying to find more info and struck out - what little I did find was not reliable at all so not worth mentioning. I'd have better luck finding government secrets I conclude. Shesh.

Oh well. That's what I get for being so nosy I guess.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited July 2013
    Hi :D

LOL~DD! Nice pictures. :lol:

Congrats on your featured Sim, TJ! :thumbup:

I really am excited to see what TS4 has to offer. I'm kinda miss playing the Sims... I build a lot but haven't really played (now that my desktop works *knock on wood*). :D
    The graphics card seems to not be up to the newest expansion, it loads the textures slower, again. I told my hubby and he turned his head but I saw those eyes of his roll. I know I did... he just doesn't get it. :lol:

I'm not sure how they're going to get it all done if they had to scrap the online part of the game. And it does lead me to believe they'll still have it ready to connect back in once they get everyone used to some more game play- as you all said. Just the way they did with the ingame store. :?

Oh, well. I'm gonna have to reinstall and figure out why EIG is now quitting on me. TS3 stops working while saving in EIG. This is after I've been saying I haven't been having problems, of course. :lol:

I've cleaned up all my CAW and game files (I didn't have any other mods then CAW mods- like for the food truck and the picnic blanket/tents). Cleaned out my Store files and redid all those... Still, crashing when saving.

I've tried the bat file to start the world, I have Razer to cut down on all the unneeded background programs- nothing seems to be over taxing my computer but, it still stops working. Closed CAW while in EIG, nope... *sigh*

I'm getting a little frustrated so I'm going to uninstall/reinstall everything. If that doesn't work I'm thinking of testing what I have and then add the rest of the lots in a save file. :mrgreen:
    It's not the best answer but I really don't know what else to do.
    edited July 2013
    Rflong - Did you make sure to have the Sims 3 in the DEP exception and CAW as well?

I know I saw something about that as you describe - I can't recall if it was in Crinricts thread, or over at the modthesims threads for CAW and IP or if I saw it in something AuntieLynds wrote. But I am leaning toward the modthesims Sims caw discussions.

Not being an actual CAW user although I read everything those in the know seem to discuss - I don't always "get it" especially when a new ep comes out and I read that like the first few days the ep was out - also when I had the issues with Vampire Lounge in you new world I went searching out for patch creating problems so I did a lot of reading - but it all being so new nothing seems really to have stuck - but I just know I saw an instance or two of what you are describing.

Either way putting stuff on a save would be okay also if that is what you need to do.

As for your video card do you have the latest driver as that sounds at least like a driver issue. There wan a Nvidia update just recently and it made a difference. I'd also make sure your flash player is up to date as well as they use flash player a lot for this game and it's mechanics. In the meantime I will check some of those spots I was reading and see if I don't find something like your problem that people were talking about before. I do know one thing - before IP I could choose to launch my game via the launcher or go via the base game shortcut - but since IP I have to launch my game via the direct shortcut to the base game or everything is drastically slow. I also have to delete all those temp files in the DCcache if I have downloaded anything from the store or anywhere after installing other wise they slow the game starting a lot. They come back of course, but just cleaning them after downloading and installing anything seems to make the start up faster - sort of like cleaning all cache files do. Anyway - off to see if I can't find any solutions -

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited July 2013
    Yes, the game is in DEP- CAW doesn't or can't go in DEP. :)

Yes, I've seen it a lot and I was able to fix it before. This time, nothing is working. 8)

I did update my drivers and I have Flash on auto update, which updated maybe a few days ago or last week. I usually check every month and I do have the latest everything (and I check through the sites and not through my computer update thingies). :)

I've always started the game through the a shortcut, since TS2 and that launcher. :)

If you find something that'd be wonderful. These are all normal things which I check on- I always delete the game and CAW cache files before starting CAW. Just a habit. :)
    edited July 2013
    TammyJo congrats on being featured. Will go dl her later. she doesn't have CC does she. I don't think you use it.
    Wow TS4 sounds iffy. Oh well.
    Rflong I am so sorry you are having such problems. I hope you are able to get it straightened out.
    Reggie well that explains why I wasn't aware of the store for TS2. I never felt like I missed anything. It did have great stuff packs.
    Well am going to try and play test that cute island world.
    edited July 2013
    Rflong - Yeah I checked over Carls and found nothing - then went to modthesims and do see others reporting such things or similar anyway - but the only two post threads that had any ideas of things to try seems to be these two:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=506582

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=503822

and even those do not seem to offer anything you probably haven't tried. I am striking out for sure todsy. I have a few other places to check where they use a lot of CAW but one requires translating so I will see if I can find something that makes sense that no one else has brought up. I believe that site I am thinking of is Crinricts homesite as she has all her help threads on that site. hopefully I find something of use.

Rukaya - you will love it - I still have not checked the dive spots but have checked just about everything else - I think - That school still needs testing to see if it has problems with sims winning games and kids getting accused of skipping school when they go on a field trip. As I believe that is the same school as in IP. But it plays real nice so far.

In dreams - I LIVE!