Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WrathofCath's D.N.A. Requester's Contact

Comments

• SBJuthbergSBJuthberg Posts: 133 Member
    edited September 2013
    Carson it is then :) And sure, I am quite happy with the exterior of the model in the pictures. And I realize alot of the exterior "bling" probably can't be reproduced with the building-tools for Sims.

The floorplan is probably kind of moot with Carson though, since they are quite different in layout. Then again something similar might fit nicely. Maybe even room for more rooms (no pun intended) And it's also 1 story higher than Morey.

I made and uploaded a movie of how Curtis Victorian looks as I am using it, I extended the lot and did some landscaping and added a, not to well structured, basement to it. Of course I forgot until now that everything (I think at least) the Curtis Paradis uploads to the Exchange, also have a corresponding timelapse-vid on his Youtube channel CurtisParadisShow.
    The Victorian is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-mY8QmffHU

And yes please, I would love to follow the progress and share thoughts/ideas when/if wanted :D
  • WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    edited September 2013
    Excellent! I just checked out Curtis' video and bookmarked it. Man he's good, huh?! I will head in game and get this baby rolling, lol! I will leave a post on your page to let you know when I've made some progress and want to share what's happening with you. Thanks SBJ! :D
    edited September 2013
    Yes, he's pretty good and you're welcome :) I just watched his video about building-tools for Sims-4, and that's something... :-o Sims-4 will make the building it self so much easier since you can just drag'n'drop everything. Even entire rooms :shock:

SimsJasper is another great builder, though he only makes Modern/Contemporary houses.

And that sounds great, looking forwards to seeing this unfold :D
    edited September 2013
    Here's a somewhat different version of Carson Mansion :P

hauntedhouse.jpg
    edited September 2013
    Oooooh! That's a spooky version huh? Just in time for Midnight Hollow too! It's funny but even this version is remarkably similar to the original site you had in your request! :D
    edited September 2013
    Indeed, I was googling "Spooky Buildings", and that came up in the results. I just thought I'd share it :D

Artist definitely used Carson Mansion as model for it.
    edited September 2013
    Hi SBJ! I have a few pics of the build. Please keep in mind that I'm in the very early stages of this. There's still a TON to do. I just wanted to let you see the direction in which it's headed.

You are familiar with this lot I'm guessing, so you know that this is the front of the home, but kind of on the front and side of the property with the little river running along the left side and the back. You can see the gazebo over to the right.

Screenshot-3_zps68349b4a.jpg

This one is of the Front where the street entrance is:

Screenshot-4_zpseab9fee7.jpg

Top View:

Screenshot_zps5291f969.jpg

And a bit of a closer look of the top view:

Screenshot-2_zpsd1722763.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the way the roof lines came out. They were pretty intricate!

I don't know what you were thinking about for the exterior colors. So far I've been following along with the color palette from the pics on the site you included in your request. Please let me know what you have in mind for colors.

I have not included all the windows or anything yet so it will look a lot different once those are in.

I haven't even scratched the surface for the landscaping. I only wanted to show you where the stream and gazebo could end up.

I was thinking of putting the pool area in front of the gazebo, closer to the house. It works out perfectly, as that is where the side door is, at the back end of the home. I was also thinking of putting the little veg and fruit garden in the very back of the house.

That's it for now! Let me know what you think and what you might like to see for exterior color.

Thanks SBJ!
    edited September 2013
    Rated "F" for Fabulicious :mrgreen:

I love the way you used the "Castle Exterior"-tower for the northeast tower, I didn't make that connection at first. Just though it looked "odd" somehow. Then it clicked for me how you did that. Awesome way to use the Castle Kit :D

I also agree with the roofs, you solved that in an excellent way. I had a mind to ask you to skip the additions in the back but forgot to. But with the way you handled it, I am glad I forgot to ask you to skip it because it's just awesome.

Not sure if you read the posts where I talked with Zoo about scaling, but the entire house is about the same size I managed to get the would-be kitchen when I tried to make a version of Morey before you accepted my request.
    Although I think it would've looked even better if the main structures additional floor. I'm not going to ask you to raise it though after your struggle with getting the roof so good. I am guessing there'll be more then enough room for everything as is already anyhow, and more space might make it hard to use it all.

I would like to ask you ta add a deck/porch in the back corner towards the waterfall though.(And I like the way you solved the waterfall also. The thought of using the natural-looking Poll-fall hadn't even occured to me until now :-o Very clever :thumbup: )

In all I am very happy with what you've accomplished thus far :D

I am not entirely sure about what I want for the exterior colourscheme to be honest. On the one hand what is looks pretty good, on the other hand I think a darkish look would go well with the design. Sort of like the Lighthouse with a whiteish stonefasade and dark-grey thatched roof. (Like the roof of TarynTempestwinds Griffyns' Gaurd.) Not sure if the patterns represented under the roof in the first and second picture would be possible to add to that kind of surface though. Those patterns really adds... homeyness I think (when I can't think of a suitable word, I invent one that fits ;) )
    http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/worlds/dragonvalley.php (Third picture from the bottom is the lighthouse)
    Other schemes/styles that might fit are the ones used for the School and the Theatre of Dragon Valley.

The plans you have for the pool sounds good, as does the small fruit&veg garden.

The thing that concerns me a little is the absence of chimneys. Hopefully you have planned for fireplaces and just not placed them yet. I couldn't tell if you have plans or if you forgot them since there's no view of the internal layout. So I though best to mentioned it now, before it's all done.

Edit: I am going to try out some colourschemes when I get home tonight, and se what I feel would be right for me.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited September 2013
    Yay!!! :D *claps hands and hops up and down*

I'm so thrilled that you are happy with it so far! I'm glad you liked the castle kit for the tower. It's a great piece to use when you want a nice round turret look from the outside. I only wish they let us have the option of not using the flag with the roof for the tower. It doesn't look too bad in this build though, because of its architecture.

Thank you for the roof compliment! :mrgreen: I love to try intricate roofs, especially when they come out at least somewhat close to how the inspiration picture looks. I will be more than happy to try some other colors and textures on it. I wasn't really thrilled with the brown one. I just wanted to start out with the RL pictures of its colors.

I hadn't read about those posts to Zoo. I do think there will be plenty of room for what you wanted in the house. I have only just started playing around with some floor plans. As soon as I find what I think works, I'll take a few pics and see what you think.

No problem with adding on a deck. That's a cool idea cause your sims can sit out there and admire the waterfall! Did you want a roof over the deck or just open air? I could make that the outdoor kitchen area if you'd like or would you rather have the outdoor kitchen on the other side by the pool area?

I do like your choices for the exterior color. I am going to play around with a couple of the roof textures and some colors for the walls. I will take pics of these as I go, so we can figure out which you think you'd like for the build. I definitely think it needs to be darker for this world.

It's funny that you asked about the chimneys for the fireplaces, cause right after I posted last night, I was back in game and working on the exterior shape for them. :lol:
    This home absolutely needs fireplaces!

The inspiration picture only shows two exterior chimneys. I would like to stay with that for the look of the outside of the home. But inside, I'd like to have a lot more fireplaces. I usually put them where I think they would look good in the room and cheat-remove the back, so only the hearth is there. That way we can have as many fire places as we want, without interfering with the upstairs floor plan. I always have my worker bees (handy sims :D ) upgrade them to fireproof. Is this okay with you or do you prefer to have your sims do the upgrades?

I love this idea of a WIP! :XD: This is my first one and I think it's an excellent way to see progress of the build. After seeing the pics I put up last night, I decide to change the staircases to two wide, rather than four wide. They just looked wrong to me. And I want to play around with the height of some of the tower roofs a little.

As soon as I have some more stuff done, I will post. But in the meantime, if you have any questions or ideas, please be sure to post them for me. Thanks! :P

Cath
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited September 2013
    Olala! :D A fairytale build! How awesome is that! Love the architecture. Good job with the roof. :D
    edited September 2013
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

This is sort of the best look for wood I managed to come up with :?
    The second roof is a vanilla one, the first I think is from Dragon Valley, though not sure (it's marked as a store-item) and the walls in #2 are from Ambitions.
    And though the rustic look is fitting, I'm kind of disapproving of the uniform colour in them. Didn't find anyway to change the cornerplanks to a different colour sadly. Could possibly be achieved with custom patterns, but that's beyond my skill (wouldn't even know where to begin)

For fireplaces I like Fireplace 2.0, that one is fireproof and Autolight by default. Also has good environment modifier :) Though they are the largest kind as well.

I know I said "rather not" to the "Create a Pattern"-thingy in the request, mostly because I am not really sure what it is. Though I think it's kind of like "create a style" in the game, but more advanced, so I think I'll change that to a yes. Custom patterns can be used if it helps (I do believe they are automatically downloaded with the lot just like "create a style" colourschemes?)

As for the deck I think I'd prefer without the roof, but maybe you can play around with that and see how well it would fit. Outdoor kitchen/BBQ area I would prefer on the poolside. Great for poolparties :mrgreen:
    edited September 2013
    OMG!!! We must be on a mind warp or something, lol! As far as the roof goes anyway. :roll: I had the exact same two patterns in mind! I was actually going to ask if you had the blackened one, cause as you said it's labeled as store content. I ended up going with the second one and I kind of like it.

As for the walls, I was experimenting with patterns and textures, but in a darker grey shade. I don't use any CC content and I sadly do not know how to use CAP. Zoo just gave a course in it, but I honestly haven't had a chance to take the class yet. I just recolor the patterns that EA gives us.

My colors look kind of like the two darker shades you used in your example. I haven't taken any pics in game yet and I'm amazed at how different things look when you see the picture, as opposed to the in-game version. I will take some a little later on to see what you think.

Also had you given any thought to whether you would like a roof over the porch or not? I haven't gotten to putting one on yet. I will try to get one on before I upload the pics of the new colors.

The 2.0 fireplace is perfect. I will definitely use that when the time comes. Autolight is a pretty cool thing!

I'll get back to you soon with some new pictures. :D
    edited September 2013
    yanti68 wrote:
    Olala! :D A fairytale build! How awesome is that! Love the architecture. Good job with the roof. :D

Hi Yanti! Thanks for stopping in! This is my 1st WIP and I'm in the very early stages of the build, so I'm sure there will be lots of changes. Thanks for the nice comment! Hugs! :D
    edited September 2013
    Hello SBJ, I have some new pictures for you. Here is a possible new color combo:

Screenshot-9_zps8941684b.jpg

View of roofs:

Screenshot-15_zps58f86e8f.jpg

Note that I changed the roof on the top of the castle kit. I didn't think I could use a regular roof which is why I chose the castle one before. Which do you like better? This picture also shows one of two possibilities for the back deck.

Screenshot-5_zps668c1c75.jpg

And the larger one:

Screenshot-14_zps9487b701.jpg

Next I've included tentative floor plans. I think I have all the rooms you requested.
    First floor layout:

Slide3_zps6c9f0a14.png

Second floor:

Slide2_zps491028be.png

Third Floor:

Slide1_zps1c46b436.png

I also changed two of the roofs on the front of the house. The tower roof from a reverse pagoda to a regular hip and the round room on the right to a round roof rather than hexagonal. Let me know what you think about these.

Screenshot-12_zpscda1f41c.jpg

I had to rearrange the waterfalls so that they look as though they're cascading onto one another. I filled in the gaps with two different types of stones. The smaller ones are from buydebug and the larger are just boulders.

Screenshot-7_zps83f97a29.jpg

Screenshot-8_zpsdff0c7e0.jpg

That's it for now. Let me know what you think about the deck, waterfall, changed roofs and possible floor plans. Thanks!

Cath
    edited September 2013
    I like that colourscheme, it looks really good. I also like the new roof for the square tower. IIRC the colour of the Castle Kit Tower Top can't be changed, so this would be preferable. Otherwise the little flag on top was kind of nice :)

For the deck out back, the larger one is better I think. And perhaps there would be room to place a hottub on the deck. Probably opposite the back entrance would be a good place for one. Or "between" the diningroom and the library as you marked them.

Now for the interior. Overall the design looks good, though it doesn't tell me how large each area would actually be sadly. I'd like to have some changes to the interior though.

Having the livingroom where the library is, placing the study where the livingroom is and the library instead of the kids room above. But making them as one 2-story room with an internal balcony. Perhaps extend the tower to groundlevel, and placing the desk/study in the towersection.
    Possibly removing the stair outside, and just have a first floor balcony/deck there as well. Or even moving the stair to go down to the "lawn" outside the arts-room.

Making the study into the guest bedroom. Removing the laundry and hallway outside the bath and laundry. Extending the bathroom to go level with the staircase wall, making that the guestbath. That would also extend the livingroom area(presently marked library)
    Removing the wall between the dining and "library" and separating with "wall-end" pillars, or maybe halfwalls (or both maybe)

For the second floor I am thinking moving the corner kids room to the gym/exercise, and moving that into the basement.
    Removing the present master bath and placing that in the upper half of the "guestbedroom". The lower half and guest bath could become combined bathroom and laundryroom.

I love the chimneys you built. They look absolutley lovely.
    For the Butler's room a Torch Moderne-fireplace might be suitable in the upper end of the room?

Torch Moderne(Sims 3), Fireplace 2.0(sims 3), A Very Civilised Fire(World Adventures), The Shelby Mantle(Ambitions), Nu-Horizons Fireplace(Late Night) The Sheriff McGillicutty's Fireplace(Pets) and Oak Fireplace Mantel(Store) are the Fireplaces I am ok with.
    Fireplace 2.0 and The Shelby Mantle are my two favourites.
    Courtyard Coals(Outdoor Living) would be ok to use somewhere outdoors. Maybe in the center of the Gazeebo.

Overall it's excellent, though I am thinking that the front corner-tower might look better without the outcropping on the roof.

Edit/Edit; Got a slightly different idéa for solving the Study/library. And some other stuff.
    Extending the wall of the study/Exercise rooms 2-3 blocks "sideways" making that part a little wider (I mean from corner to corner of that wallsection, not just the part with the study/exercise)

Making the Study/Library where the Diningroom/Guestquarters are located.

Move Diningroom to Music/Arts rooms, keeping the Livingroom as is. Removing the wall between Art and Music, turning artroom into a sittingroom. Pillars and/or halfwalls separating dining/sitting room from Livingroom. (still would like to extend the tower to groundlevel, would make for an excellent place to have a piano)

Moving guestroom to where exercise is,
    Study and library becomes Art/Music rooms alternately a Movie-room with the biggest TV. Also a bathroom would be suitable adjacent to living/dinner.

This way the study/library becomes accesible from the mastersuite.

What do you think?
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited September 2013
    I love how your WIP is shaping up :-)
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited September 2013
    I just adore the build and the fountain! :D The new CASing looks even more better! This would be great for Midnight Hollow neighbourhood! WOW! Very impressive Cath! :D
    edited September 2013
    Okay, bear with me as I am just having my coffee and trying to make sure I understand everything you're looking for. :lol:

So you're digging the new roofs (all 3) as opposed to the original ones, correct?

I will try to put the hot tub there, but I'm not sure if there will be enough room around the edges for the sims liking.

As for the interior, next time I take pics I will leave the grid marker on so you can see how many tiles there are for the rooms.

I have no problem changing the layout. This is your home and you really seem to know what you would like. :D

I like the idea of the guest suite being on the 1st floor where the study is now. It feels right.

I think leaving the living room as is, is a good idea because of it's size. You also have the additional entrance there or did you still want that to be removed? You were thinking at one point of moving the stairs to the side. I will leave them for now and show you pics of the new layout, and you can decide about that later.

I pretty much get what you're looking for on the main level. I'm a little confused about the 2nd floor. I know you want one of the kids bedrooms where I originally had the gym. Did you want to leave the front kids bedroom (over the living room) as is?

I'm concerned that the "new" dining room might not be wide enough for a table. I think it's only 4 tiles wide. What I was thinking is, leave the dining room where it is now, and change the music and art room to the two story study/library. It would still be accessible from the master and it's easier to fit desks and sitting areas into a smaller space.

I like the idea of extending the master to take up that entire back section of the 2nd level. I wanted to do that originally, but was worried I'd be taking away a bedroom somehow.

I think I've got this pretty much figured out. :D

As soon as I have the new layout done, I will take some more pics with the grid lines on and you can have a look. Sound good? :D

edited September 2013
    Hi GC! Thank you! It's kind of fun doing a WIP. :D

Hi Yanti! Thanks for your nice comments. :P I was thinking the same thing about the house fitting nicely into the new world! I still have a long way to go though. I haven't even begun to do the interiors. Thanks for the encouraging words! :XD:
    edited September 2013
    Yes, I like all the new roofs :)

And that sounds like a good plan, lets see how that turns out :)

I'd still like to extend the outer wall of the study/gym (after alteration childs room and guest suite) 2 tiles towards the stream. If possible without to much hassle.

I am sorry if I made it seems like I meant inside, the hall with the stairs to 2nd floor is fine.

Edit; perhaps you could upload a Beta-version after the next edit, then I could get a better feel of it, and "mess around" a little myself in addition to you making the "proffessional" version?
    edited September 2013
    Sorry SBJ, but I don't feel comfortable uploading my unfinished build. I am more than happy to keep posting you pictures of the progress. I think we were doing pretty good.

I have some of the changes you asked for and pictures with furniture placed so you can get an idea of how large each room is. Nothing is etched in stone. This is just to give you a feel for the size and shape of the build.

This is the front with the two tiles added on to the guest wing:

Slide02_zps36d61dc6.png

Here is the side with the stairs and door relocated to the side. Notice that I removed the larger dormer and replaced it with a smaller one.

Slide03_zps1860204a.png

This shows one of the smaller hot tubs, so you can see how it fits. I don't think there will be enough room on the other side of the deck. I can move the rails and stairs around to maybe fit it someplace else on the deck.

Slide09_zps7aa5aa27.png

First floor layout without grids.

Slide01_zps91116a27.png

Grid lines showing back entry, with 1/2 bath, cellar stairs, kitchen and nook, and dining room.

Slide16_zpsbfbe198f.png

Easier on the eyes pic of the kitchen showing column doorways and/or double arch.

Slide17_zpsb1626362.png

Living Room on the right (it's the biggest room) to accommodate the huge tv. On the left is the study and small sitting room. This area is open above where the library is located.

Slide14_zps7e516595.png

Picture from behind the sofa looking at the huge tv. If you don't mind the large flat screen tv instead, I could place the 2.0 fireplace against that wall and MOO in the flat screen over the mirror. I've done this before and it looks pretty good. That way you get both the fireplace and the tv as the focal point. Just a thought.

Slide18_zps8d555761.png

The front room we were considering for the living room is a lot smaller than the one above. I thought maybe this could be used for the music and perhaps art room. I made it to mimic the turret above and moved the door to the left. We could take the door out altogether if you prefer.

Slide15_zps37aa0eaf.png

View of the music room with fireplace.

Slide21_zpse48b275d.png

Shows the study with sitting room and music room. That empty corner to the right could also be used as the art area.

Slide19_zpsd9cd6609.png

Guest bed and bath on 1st floor.

Slide12_zpsf7650d3e.png

Upstairs without grids. The new larger bedroom upstairs over to the left is plenty big enough to make into two rooms, giving you 3 br plus the master upstairs. The two little rooms above this are the general bath and laundry.

Slide22_zpsd7bd08b2.png

Master with bath in back, plenty of room for a sitting area and maybe a big closet?

Slide04_zps4dfcb411.png

Library area with open balcony to study below. This is right off the master.

Slide06_zps6e171a1f.png

I think that pretty much shows everything so far. Let me know what you think.

• KaztompKaztomp Posts: 519 Member
    edited September 2013
    Oh my Cath!! This build of yours is stunning!! OMG - I'm exhausted just looking at all the work you've put into this gorgeous creation! I'm sitting here in Brisbane, struggling to wake up with a cup of coffee and checking emails whilst half asleep..

After much scrolling forwards and backwards and dribbling all over my keyboard, I have now definitely woken up - in more ways than one! I can't wait to get my new computer in a week or two! My mind is buzzing with ideas after looking at your build and I'm itching to create something again! I think I'll have to toddle over to the DNA thread and see what's coming up in the requests in the near future :D

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PS. Thank you for the reminder of what I've been missing :)

Cheers!

xx *hugs* xx
    edited September 2013
    Kaz!!! *runs over and gives a big bear hug* Thank you so much! I am so excited that you're getting your mojo back! I can't wait till you get your new puter either. I am dying to see what you can do with that new baby! xoxoxo :mrgreen:
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,585 Member
    edited September 2013
    edited September 2013
    I will admit that I worried a little after I got a hint the actual size from the interior. Not sure if it's the extending of the wall, or just interior design, but I think this is going to work out quite well :) I guess it's all about finding the right layout :mrgreen: (Or as Achmed, the dead terrorist would say; Location, location, location)

1 thing is that I think the Master Suite would benefit from placing the bathroom over the backdoor instead of above the deck.

That would give a waterfallview from the bedroom. I am thinking a sofa and two chairs and a table in the tower-section.
    Another thing, if you feel like trying this, "drag" the tower 1 square towards the pond/stream, and making a balcony across the space between the tower and the "guestquarter". 2 wide by the tower, 3 wide by the "guestquarter" wall with a diagonal transition. Balcony door from the Master suite tower. How would you feel about that? (meaning on the second floor, not first)

Dividing the big square bedroom into two "mirrored"-rooms could work nicely as well. Not sure wich would work better here, 1 or 2 square-wide corridor. Since it's single beds I am thinking 2 wide to avoid getting claustophobic. Which also means shrinking the bathroom 1 square.

For the livingroom I was thinking about using the REALLY big tv. The Simsention 9000c or what it's called. That is 4 spaces wide. I've never really found a house where I could actually use that before :P

And then placing a fire in the study opposite the stove in the kitchen(you already have the "chimney" in place :wink: )

I think that would about cover the house it self :)

Edit; And as for the not wanting to uload it yet, that's fair enough and I think I understand why you'd be reluctant to do that :)