Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do people hate loading screens so much?

Comments

• IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2013
    I hate load screens, and everyone else pretty much covered why. I just hate them, or the ones for each little lot, anyways.
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't know. If I send my sim off to play guitar in the park for hours and when he returns home it's the same time as when he left, I wouldn't like that much. It would make the game way too easy. Besides what do I do with his family while he's playing guitar? Or do I just sit there and watch him play? Or if I leave him at the park and switch back to the family, is that another loading screen?

I'm not opposed to loading screens or the idea of a more closed world to aide with routing but I don't want to be hit with it every time my sims want to move around town.
  • ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited July 2013
    I enjoy seeing my sim travel the town instead of a load screen. I like to admire the scenery and it makes it feel more involved.

Just my preference I suppose. I don't mind a big loading screen in the beginning but to me it gets tedious when I keep having to go through them to go anywhere in my game.

This^ is pretty much my stance on the issue as well.

I was the same way in TS2... my Sims were complete homebodies because I couldn't be 🐸🐸🐸🐸 to load a community lot most of the time. It also felt kind of isolated in a way, not being able to see or interact with anything outside your home lot. Of course, I had a pretty slow computer back then so the loading screens were intolerable.. they usually took anywhere from 5-10 minutes to load for me. I have never installed Sims 2 on this computer, but I'm sure that now the loading would be a few seconds at best.

I don't mind if we have loading screens between subhoods or between sections of the neighborhood, as this would allow for better performance overall and we'd get our beloved subhoods back.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,526 Member
    edited July 2013
    When I send my sims out, I might visit 3 or four places. A loading screen just to go next door? :P I also like to see the whole town, not bit and pieces, not one section at a time. I like the things that I see between points A and B and things discovered along the way. I would like them make the open world better, not toss it out.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ArkansasWoman777ArkansasWoman777 Posts: 601 Member
    edited July 2013
    Come on, people, they're not that bad. I personally prefer the TS2 style closed neighborhood because it's not like the loading screens take long at all, even with my 3,000 files of cc (BTW, is that considered a lot? I don't know any other Simmers IRL to compare to). I wouldn't mind if they ditched the seamless neighborhood for quality, smoothness, and gameplay and I had to look at a loading screen for about 10 seconds to go to another lot. In fact, I would be rather pleased.

I prefer the open world neighborhood, i haven't played the Sims 2 for PC but i've seen videos of it on youtube and i personally would have never enjoyed it.

Edit: I did however play the Sims 3 on the Xbox and the loading screens plus the closed world only being able to go so far i hated.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    i7 6700k, 1tb ssd, Rx MSI 480 8gb, Evga 750G2, Corsair H100i V2, 16gb of ram
  • YorkieGirl4YorkieGirl4 Posts: 361 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't care for loading screens because I like how the whole world feels alive. I can zoom around and see everything all at once. It's nice seeing a mother pushing her toddler around in a stroller, or kids playing over on the playground, or an adult sitting on a bench reading a book. My worlds always seem so much more in-depth than in The Sims 2, where each household was essentially its own tiny world. Now I look around and think aw, there's so-and-so I remember the last time I played them. And I don't have to plan who my Sims will marry and so on. Just head out to a community lot and check out the Sims!

I'd rather not feel so closed-off from the rest of my game. :D
  • DivaOfDarknessDivaOfDarkness Posts: 1,097 Member
    edited July 2013
    SimsTias wrote:
    I hate loading screens. But i would prefeer loading screens over a lagging, crashing, routing problem game.

Or maybe EA just get a good engine so we can play Sims 4 smooth without crashes, lag and routing problems just like other open worlds game *cough* GTA V! *Cough*

But the question is, why? What makes loading screens so insufferable that it means that much?

It's the same as loading your game every 10 min. It's the loading and waiting I don't like.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,107 Member
    edited July 2013
    I hated the loading screens and it often put me off sending my sims into the world. It just took too long especially once I had more than a couple of EPs. The current system is much better.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2013
    I know players hate the fact in TS1 and TS2 if you take a Sim to a subhood or a community lot in the mainhoods when you get back it is only a few minutes after you left.

This never bothered me..actually I loved it. Because I am a huge fan of Doctor Who series since from about 30 years ago (Doctor #4 ) at the time, it seemed logical to me to take a Sim to a community lot and return home at the same time I left.

Example why it worked: Sim wants to do something on community lot..but has to go to work...ignore hour before worktime warning..go to community lot or several...it's midnight by the time you leave..had a great time, found a romance, filled my Sim's woohoo desires, bought some new digs, got the groceries, played instruments in the park, made a best friend when he/she ran into a good friend, ate out, bathed/showered at the spa, got a make over, plus much more..

Get home now I have several aspiration points to buy that elixer just so my Sim won't age so soon...go off to work.

A wonderful concept..in The Sims and Doctor Who the Time Lord. :mrgreen:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited July 2013
    I have no problem with loading screens. The only problem I have is with closed neighborhood :XD: .

The only reason I can't go back to TS2 is because of this. There are many things that I can do with open world/neighborhood, even if it's just to enjoy the scenary :lol: . Closed neighborhood is pretty much boring for me now.
  • MihajloStasukMihajloStasuk Posts: 52
    edited July 2013
    Having no open world would be a major downgrade!
    EA wont do that they are not stupid...
    With seasons installed when it is snowing and you follow youre sim on a bike it is magical! Just the scenery the fell when you see it it is just memorable and eye pleasing. In Sunset Valley there is the fishing lot on which I always go while winter it has a stunning view and when my Sims are ice skating I look from a cliff and I see the whole town cowered by falling snow just the beauty it has... I dont want to play only on one lot anymore plus we are in 2013 will be 2014 when it is realesed it would be just unnexeptable to not have an open world!
    And someone above said that loading screens take about as much as sim getting from point A to point B no they dont because you cant speed up time of loading screen...
    P.S Sorry for my bad English!
  • TyressaTyressa Posts: 127 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't really mind loading screens unless I have to wait 15 minutes or more.
    I'd rather have to wait 15 minutes for my game to start up rather than waiting 10 seconds whenever I try to do something in the game, now that would annoy me.
  • heidi11576heidi11576 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited July 2013
    I dont mind the loading screens at all. What I do mind is that it takes forever for this game(Sims3) to load..cant imagine Sims4 will be better
  • shadowcat85shadowcat85 Posts: 5,219 Member
    edited July 2013
    Come on, people, they're not that bad. I personally prefer the TS2 style closed neighborhood because it's not like the loading screens take long at all, even with my 3,000 files of cc (BTW, is that considered a lot? I don't know any other Simmers IRL to compare to). I wouldn't mind if they ditched the seamless neighborhood for quality, smoothness, and gameplay and I had to look at a loading screen for about 10 seconds to go to another lot. In fact, I would be rather pleased.

I really would hate to see a closed neighborhood again I always got bored quickly.

What I would like to see is an open neighborhood with a better story progression like Twallen's.
    tumblr_inline_ne699tiMiG1r36c5t.gif

• ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited July 2013
    heidi11576 wrote:
    I dont mind the loading screens at all. What I do mind is that it takes forever for this game(Sims3) to load..cant imagine Sims4 will be better

I'd rather one longer loading screen when starting up the game over having to load every individual lot. I don't mind loading between subhoods or vacation worlds., since that's really the only way we can have those.

I think that ultimately the best course for them would be design TS4 as a 64-bit application so that it can utilize more RAM, which would make loading faster in general, as well as allow for more active community lots and better Story Progression processing. I know the game is well beyond initial development by now, but I seriously hope they didn't make the mistake of over-simplifying the game just so that it can work on smartphones and iPads. :roll: If that's the case I will probably end up skipping Sims 4, and I have played these games since the beginning.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,991 Member
    edited July 2013
    WaxingCrescent05,

People despise loading screens because it takes time away from playing the game. People have less time to play the game if its constantly loading other areas.
  • lilhunnylilhunny Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited July 2013
    waiting wastes time

i guess it doesnt matter though since were on a sims forum
  • Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited July 2013
    For me, after getting all the EP's for TS2, the loading screens got tediously long. They usually took 20-30 minutes and wasted my time. My computer didn't have a virus and I had no cc, so it was basically the game. And why is everyone so against an open neighborhood? It is SO much better than being confined to an invisible box. Sure, you could leave with the slow loading screen, have lag at a single community lot, then return home, but that isn't nearly as good as the travel in TS3. Yeah, the people take weird routes and the gameplay isn't as good, but why do they have to give up the open neighborhood to get better gameplay? In TS2, it was way harder to meet someone, but now you can just walk around town and see them. I get that people love the gameplay of TS2 because they only had to worry about a few claustrophobic boxes, but seriously, you can still get that gameplay with an open neighborhood with all of the new technological advances. Sorry for the rant! :oops:
  • Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited July 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    I don't hate them. I take a coffee break, get something to snack while I play, take a bathroom break, text a message etc.

It gives the old eyes a break. Stairing at the screen for more than an hour is bad on the eyes..that is why you should get up and walk around and strech your eye muscles as far as you can see. Besides sitting too long (hour or more) can cause blood clots in the legs from being inactive..that's a fact, so they have their advantages. :mrgreen:

To do this you can always pause the game and leave.
  • smilies246smilies246 Posts: 556 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't mind a big load, since I can get up and do something as it loads, but having like all these 20seconds+ loading screens between each lot will just annoy me since I will want to get up and do something each time, because I do not like sitting down staring at screen for ages!!!
  • georgeopolisgeorgeopolis Posts: 475 Member
    edited July 2013
    In the sims 1 the loading screens were good - they didn't take so long. In the sims 2 it was so-so - the game has improved and they took more time. In the sims 3 this is tragedy. I hate the loading screen when I go to play my family.
  • dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited July 2013
    I hate loading screens as much as the next guy, but I also didn't really like how Sims 3 did the open neighborhood.

What they need to do is have a town where the residential area is one area that is open and that is where everyone in the town lives, and then have the community/downtown area be separate where you have to go through ONE loading screen to get to it, but then the whole community lots/downtown area would be an open world. That is the best way in my opinion.
  • horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't care for loading screens because I like how the whole world feels alive. I can zoom around and see everything all at once. It's nice seeing a mother pushing her toddler around in a stroller, or kids playing over on the playground, or an adult sitting on a bench reading a book. My worlds always seem so much more in-depth than in The Sims 2, where each household was essentially its own tiny world. Now I look around and think aw, there's so-and-so I remember the last time I played them. And I don't have to plan who my Sims will marry and so on. Just head out to a community lot and check out the Sims!

I'd rather not feel so closed-off from the rest of my game. :D

This sums up my thoughts.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • lilhunnylilhunny Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited July 2013
    smilies246 wrote:
    I don't mind a big load,

oohh
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't mind the load screens majority of games have them. I just don't see companies getting away with them. sims 3 has them even. They don't bother me when they're less frequent. When i have to use them for every little place im going to i have a problem. If i need them to travel to sub hoods i don't mind i rather have the subhoods to travel too than non at all.

I think there just need to be a better system of getting content loaded up in the game where we aren't waiting 10 to 20 minutes because of all the content we have installed. Other than that i don't think we'll ever full escape them just yet.