Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims should have religion in TS4 (Please read before commenting)

Comments

• motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    edited July 2013

I would like to download a working Church type of building. If they were to do that it would have to be a Store item and Not a base or EP content. Just an simple store item download.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited July 2013
    motdk wrote:
    I would like to download a working Church type of building. If they were to do that it would have to be a Store item and Not a base or EP content. Just an simple store item download.

SimCity Societies had actual church buildings and temple, and spirituality was a major component of your city's score. I'm not advocating anything like that, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings any to see a rabbit-hole type building that vaguely resembled a church and could be designated as a community lot/no visitors allowed/House of Worship.

You could name it anything you wanted and designate the hours it would be open. Heck, it could be the first church of Satan for all anyone would know (or care). I'm assuming we're still talking about being able to play the game *alone* in the privacy of our own home, right? Right now, I have a church, not uploaded, but one that I made myself that has the podium from University Life, a few benches I got from a CC site, and some stained glass looking windows. Every once in a blue moon, my Sim goes there and sits and reads a book or "sermonizes".

I've adapted objects from various EP's to make the kind of church I want. And I don't see anything wrong with a rabbithole that gives fun and social for about an hour...just like the movie theater does (without the social). It's not like it would be a mandatory thing, because you wouldn't even have to use the lot designation that came with the game...it would be entirely your choice.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • YorkieGirl4YorkieGirl4 Posts: 361 Member
    edited July 2013
    While I wouldn't throw a tantrum if worshiping the Watcher (EA's given name for the player) was included, I don't really want it in my game and would probably download a mod to squash it. In my game the Sims are already fully controlled by me, and I don't really want to be worshiped. I'm an evil dictator, meant to be feared! Muahaha. :lol: In all seriousness, including religion is one of those things that EA is smart enough not to do. Aside from the massive headache of trying to code such a thing, it would make more people mad than it would happy. It's simpler to just leave it well enough alone.

And AwesomeGinger952, your comment here:
    the sims is supposed to simulate real life. and, whether you like it or not, religion is a big part of real life.
    That was not very well thought out. The game is meant for fun, not for seriousness which is what religion is. And, whether YOU like it or not, religion is only a big part of some peoples' lives. Others don't concern themselves with it whatsoever. I happen to agree fully with Yumedust.
  • SnazzySimmerSnazzySimmer Posts: 1,968 Member
    edited July 2013
    Okay, I like the idea. I'm a Catholic, and I understand there are some pretty hundi (meaning hard-core) religious people out there.... I'm actually one of them :oops:. But the only difference here, is that God or Buddha or whomever you worship/believe in... that's what you believe. Nothing is gonna change that. If they added this, they wouldn't need to make the sims all hundi about their religion, just maybe... taking a few minutes to take note that I'm here and am there "simgod" as some people here put it.
    A game isn't going to change anything, I know (and I'm not trying to start any fights here, just using myself as an example) that God is God, I know that I'm not. A game isn't going to make me think 'they're worshiping a fake god!! EA!!! HOW DARE YOU!!' It'd probably make me think 'glad to know Im loved :lol:.'

This post wasn't meant offencively or anything... and wether they put it in or not, I won't be phased...
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2013
    Yumedust wrote:
    Nope, nope, and NOPE! TSM was an entirely different game unto itself. The Sims should stick with its current theme of realistic-but-also-cartoony and leave the serious stuff out. We won't see religions, or disabilities, or psychological issues. I've yet to understand why people ask for these things. The Sims is a game of pretend, broaden your imagination and implement religion your own way.

the sims is supposed to simulate real life. and, whether you like it or not, religion is a big part of real life. I'm not suggesting that Sims will randomly stop doing what you tell them too. Heck, it would also be awesome if they would launch a free-to-download system, similar to the CAW, but create-a-religion. It's optional to get, and you can design a religion just for your sims then post it on the exchange if you want.

Even though I like your idea in the first post, there is a reason why religion is not in the Sim series. It is too controversial, Sims series imitates RL to a certain level and also interjects fantasy into the game as well. The game job is to let you use your imagination to get away from real life and have fun. If you can't get religion into Sims series then the Sims is not for you. If you can get a mod to do it then that would be good for you. I just do not see EA/Maxis doing it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited July 2013
    the sims is supposed to simulate real life. and, whether you like it or not, religion is a big part of real life. I'm not suggesting that Sims will randomly stop doing what you tell them too. Heck, it would also be awesome if they would launch a free-to-download system, similar to the CAW, but create-a-religion. It's optional to get, and you can design a religion just for your sims then post it on the exchange if you want.

Health is also a big part of life, and they did not include that for (the same) obvious reasons. It is not in the spirit of the game and why would they risk adding something in that may offend more people than it pleases? That is a terrible business ethic, if you ask me.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Andromache2013Andromache2013 Posts: 277 Member
    edited July 2013
    Schweighsr wrote:
    Many people from many religions would believe that including worship of an imaginary creature [or, worse, the player] would be an affront to their religion. I don't think that EA will risk it.

Way, Way back when TS1 was released, a programmer for the game independently made a 'worship' object for the game. It was a statute of Will Wright. When the right-wing/ family-values people heard about it they condemned the whole game as 'satanic'. It made the newspaper and there was an attempted boycott [not that most fans cared, apparently computer game enthusiasts don't overlap much with right-wing/ family-values people.

Then, back in the beginning of TS2, EA/ Maxis used to give us free downloads. When the holidays came around, the downloads would have a holiday theme. Well, the year after the game was released, Hanukkah was on December 8th, which is unusually early. So EA released a Hanukkah set on the Thursday before Hanukkah - and before they released a Christmas set - and the Forum went NUTS. Some fans screamed how EA was discriminating against Christians/ Christmas for a solid week. It didn't stop until EA released, not one, but TWO Christmas sets.

That was the last time we got holiday objects until TS3 came out. And in that TS3 set, there was only one item for Hanukkah [a menorah] and about 4 Christmas objects. The second holiday set included 3 Christmas items and 1 for Kwanza - and people complained about THAT. There hasn't been another winter holiday set released since then.

No, I think EA has been burned enough by their attempts to include religion in The Sims - I doubt if they will do it again.

Absolutely, for me (I am religious - what religion is NOT important) it would be almost "idol-worship." So, absolutely not from that aspect.

I've never heard about that incident but with regards to EA discriminating against Christianity - what rubbish! No offense to any Christians but for crying out loud, Chanukah can fall however the pattern is. It can be Late November, Early, Mid or Late December. It's ridiculous - personally, if EA continued to make more Christian objects later on, surely that's discrimination against the Jews? (Just saying, theoretically)

Anyway, what perhaps could be nice if for you to be able to give your sims certain tendencies towards certain religions, or not at all. I would not object to the idea as long as it WAS NOT compulsory.

Hope I've offended nobody in my opinion, it was not my intention to do so.

• Cali_Pier92Cali_Pier92 Posts: 1,671 Member
    edited July 2013
    **** religion.
  • pandoraparadoxpandoraparadox Posts: 14
    edited July 2013
    Yumedust wrote:
    The Sims should stick with its current theme of realistic-but-also-cartoony and leave the serious stuff out. We won't see religions, or disabilities, or psychological issues.

Um, there are definitely some traits that are obvious parodies of psychological issues. For example, "Neurotic" is a parody of (stereotypical) OCD - I'm saying this as someone who has OCD; it was pretty apparent to me that that's what that was. (Although the "freaking out" might be closer to panic disorder. Not that people with OCD don't get panic attacks :) ) Then there's the Insane trait, which doesn't seem to follow any coherent diagnosis (at least, not to me) but is definitely related to psychological issues. Dramatic seems a bit like histrionic personality disorder. Over-emotional might even be a mood disorder of some type - I haven't played it much. And so on and so forth.

I think it's good to keep serious stuff out to an extent, but I have to admit I'm a bit conflicted about the Sims including a version of OCD in the game. In one sense, it's a little frustrating because it tends to oversimplify the disorder and reinforce the stereotypes and misconceptions about it (e.g. that most obsessions/compulsions are related to hygiene/cleanliness and checking). But at the same time it's nice to be able to have Sims I can relate to in that respect, and to be able to laugh at the whole thing. So, I don't know.

But anyway, off that tangent - I think there *are* certain things that should be avoided, religion being one of them, simply because it's so controversial. While it really amuses me to think of young Sims in ironed black slacks and pressed white shirts coming up to your door and asking if you've heard the good news, it would probably be a PR nightmare for EA. Plus, it's easy enough to include a variation of religion in your game with enough creativity and imagination. I'm an atheist but I've definitely built churches before (mostly for wedding venues, or just I like the architecture ^_^) and I'm even including one in the world I'm making. And if you *really* are dedicated, I'm sure there's a way to mod it so everyone shows up at a set time for services or whatever. (I definitely remember seeing a mod someone made to include clerical/monastical careers...) But for EA, it's not worth the trouble to include it for the small minority who might really enjoy it.
  • sims34everhtysims34everhty Posts: 29 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Why would they need religion when we already are technically their god?

Remember in sims2 and sims1 they would sometimes look at us like "why are you doing this to me??"
    ahahah exactly
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited July 2013
    I think the game should just do the podium speech thing and let the players design a building they want and if they happen to call it religious than that's on them. That way everyone get's what they want. People congregating together to listen to a speech.

Or like another play the sims can worship the player lol. It's a cute idea.
    Nothing really controversial about this topic at all if you keep it from being linear, controlled, and close minded. Open up the gameplay to where it's something a player can control it'll be just fine.

I'm not even sure why people start the religious threads though knowing it leads to these huge fights and then people bashing each other from both sides. We can't ask for this in a non combative way. How hard is it. Please EA put podiums in the game so i can make speeches and use them in different type of buildings I make. That way atheists and religious people all can enjoy it. problem solved.
  • Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited July 2013
    06Bon06 wrote:
    and those that are most likely intolerant atheists that hate religion with a magical passion

I know many atheists and they don't hate religion at all, they just aren't religious. Just because they don't have religion doesn't mean they hate it.
  • Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited July 2013
    06Bon06 wrote:
    I understand what you are saying but I would rather not have religion in my game unless sims do not discriminate :lol: and I have the option to my simmies atheist sims :)

Unless worshiping me is an option, because seeing sims looking up and worshiping me would be the cutest thing ever hahaa :lol::lol:

:!: Unfortunately you are going to have to groups that have a problem with it, those that are super religious and get mad a fake religions and those that are most likely intolerant atheists that hate religion with a magical passion :lol::lol: :!:
    (This part above is not meant to offend anyone.. I did not mean anything rude of offending in this post :mrgreen: :thumbup: )

I honestly, on second thought, don't care if there is religion in sims as long as it stays comical and noting serious or crazy sims running around and preaching :lol: - wait that could work! :lol: Ok, but negative moodlets or reaction from other sims' religions.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I know many atheists and they don't hate religion at all, they just aren't religious. Just because they don't have religion doesn't mean they hate it.
  • adityarajadityaraj Posts: 358 New Member
    edited July 2013
    if they keep it linear, this idea could work :)
  • YumedustYumedust Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2013
    That was not very well thought out. The game is meant for fun, not for seriousness which is what religion is. And, whether YOU like it or not, religion is only a big part of some peoples' lives. Others don't concern themselves with it whatsoever. I happen to agree fully with Yumedust.

Hey! Someone who gets it! :mrgreen:. Thank you to those who agree with me.
    Um, there are definitely some traits that are obvious parodies of psychological issues. For example, "Neurotic" is a parody of (stereotypical) OCD - I'm saying this as someone who has OCD; it was pretty apparent to me that that's what that was. (Although the "freaking out" might be closer to panic disorder. Not that people with OCD don't get panic attacks :) ) Then there's the Insane trait, which doesn't seem to follow any coherent diagnosis (at least, not to me) but is definitely related to psychological issues. Dramatic seems a bit like histrionic personality disorder. Over-emotional might even be a mood disorder of some type - I haven't played it much. And so on and so forth.

I think it's good to keep serious stuff out to an extent, but I have to admit I'm a bit conflicted about the Sims including a version of OCD in the game. In one sense, it's a little frustrating because it tends to oversimplify the disorder and reinforce the stereotypes and misconceptions about it (e.g. that most obsessions/compulsions are related to hygiene/cleanliness and checking). But at the same time it's nice to be able to have Sims I can relate to in that respect, and to be able to laugh at the whole thing. So, I don't know.

I have Depression, but you don't see me freaking out over Insane, Brooding, Neurotic, or any of the other seemingly negative traits you can choose from. If you're conflicted about The Sims suggesting what you believe to be OCD, you need to re-evaluate how you're playing the game, because there are a lot of suggested themes and you're looking too into it.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited July 2013
    06Bon06 wrote:
    and those that are most likely intolerant atheists that hate religion with a magical passion

Hey :), I am actually an atheist myself and I said that solely because I have seen many that are really intolerant and rude, openly saying they hate religion, I am not talking about 2 or 3 but a lot. I also know the ones like me, that don't care about it in any way and let people believe with ride judgement :)
  • SimsTiasSimsTias Posts: 1,622 Member
    edited July 2013
    Why so much talk about religion all the time... We (The players) are their god, which means they already have a religion. So just stop lol xD
    Save the Sims Franchise!
    Owner of Simstias.blogspot.se
  • ianbennettianbennett Posts: 173 Member
    edited July 2013
    If I had to chose either yes or no for religion in The Sims 4, I would say no, simply because it's a very delicate subject, with a lot of controversial views tied in with it. I just don't think it's worth all the trouble. People have a knack for finding something to be offended about.

However, I think it could work, if the Sims team executed it right. For instance, religion could be compared with being a celebrity in the Sims 3, where they are given certain tasks if they chose to be a part of a religion, like recruiting people or volunteering somewhere. The more tasks the sim does, the more the religion becomes involved in their lives (and maybe the sim could go from "casual worshiper" to "major worshiper"). For example, if a sim was in the Hygienist religion, not washing their hands after using the bathroom may not affect them that much if they were a "casual worshiper", but would cause a negative moodlet for a "major worshiper".

Another way that may allow religion to be in the Sims 4, without being offensive, would be to make the religions completely ridiculous- nothing that could be taken seriously by the sims players. A sim praying to their deity could include crazy dancing with their hands held up to the sky or to a religious object, random babbling (or yelling up into the sky with a megaphone), throwing confetti, trying to throw gifts up into the air (like stuffed animals, food, a toilet brush, simoleons, etc.), hula hooping, and other over-the-top, entertaining things. If the Sims team could make religion as hilarious as woohooing and house fires are, then maybe it wouldn't offend as many people and would be considered innocent sim shenanigans.

These are just my thoughts on the subject, and as fragile as this topic is, I feel the need to add a disclaimer: I meant no offense to anyone's religions or beliefs by writing this post and fully respect anyone's wishes to either include or exclude religion in their future game.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited July 2013
    ianbennett wrote:
    Another way that may allow religion to be in the Sims 4, without being offensive, would be to make the religions completely ridiculous- nothing that could be taken seriously by the sims players. A sim praying to their deity could include crazy dancing with their hands held up to the sky or to a religious object, random babbling (or yelling up into the sky with a megaphone), throwing confetti, trying to throw gifts up into the air (like stuffed animals, food, a toilet brush, simoleons, etc.), hula hooping, and other over-the-top, entertaining things. If the Sims team could make religion as hilarious as woohooing and house fires are, then maybe it wouldn't offend as many people and would be considered innocent sim shenanigans.

This exactly what I thought religion should be in sims, don't even call it religion, make an equally crazy name for that .:D :D
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    edited July 2013
    06Bon06 wrote:
    ianbennett wrote:

This exactly what I thought religion should be in sims, don't even call it religion, make an equally crazy name for that .:D :D

I hate to make this point (again) but I just want to point out that there are those super-reglious people who might have a cow and say that its 'worshiping a false idol'.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • DragonWyngDragonWyng Posts: 92 Member
    edited July 2013
    MadameLee wrote:
    I hate to make this point (again) but I just want to point out that there are those super-reglious people who might have a cow and say that its 'worshiping a false idol'.

I'm fairly certain that those "super-religious" people will demonize The Sims 4 regardless of whether or not it includes religion. After all, the Sims Series has been known to include premarital sex, homosexuality, adultery, witchcraft, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, alchemy, and all kinds of other things Christians have been known to hate. Some of these groups are even against Pokemon. So, I'm pretty sure EA lost that demographic a long time ago.

Now to be clear, I'm not saying that I'm for religion in TS4; I don't really care either way. If they did decide to include religion, I'd definitely like to see a return of the Peterans and Jacobians from TSM. I'd also like to see different religions celebrate special occasions such as holidays, weddings, and birhtdays in their own unique way.

Of course, there are other ways they could do all of the different traditions without including religion in game; perhaps sims could be of different cultures instead. In fact, it would be great if the neighborhood I'm playing in actually felt like it's part of a much bigger world, rich in diversity and ethnicity. But that's probably a subject for a different thread.

• pandoraparadoxpandoraparadox Posts: 14
    edited July 2013
    Yumedust wrote:

Hey! Someone who gets it! :mrgreen:. Thank you to those who agree with me.

I have Depression, but you don't see me freaking out over Insane, Brooding, Neurotic, or any of the other seemingly negative traits you can choose from. If you're conflicted about The Sims suggesting what you believe to be OCD, you need to re-evaluate how you're playing the game, because there are a lot of suggested themes and you're looking too into it.

Sims who have the "Neurotic" trait want to do things like check the oven/sink multiple times in a row, wash hands/brush teeth multiple times in a row - I'm pretty sure it's a clear stand-in for OCD. I'm not saying I'm taking offense at this or anything (and I'm definitely not freaking out lol, not sure what you got that from) I'm just pointing out that there already are some potentially "controversial" things relating to more serious real-life issues in the game. Yet while these things - such as these traits - might be controversial and not deal with the issues "perfectly" (whatever that means) they're obviously not blatantly offensive or a major issue. The Sims obviously incorporates some real-world serious issues without offending or alienating large groups of people; that said, I don't think they could do the same with religion (for reasons I and others have previously explained.)

Sorry if that wasn't clear the first go round!
  • bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    edited July 2013
    DragonWyng wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:

I'm fairly certain that those "super-religious" people will demonize The Sims 4 regardless of whether or not it includes religion. After all, the Sims Series has been known to include premarital sex, homosexuality, adultery, witchcraft, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, alchemy, and all kinds of other things Christians have been known to hate. Some of these groups are even against Pokemon. So, I'm pretty sure EA lost that demographic a long time ago.

Now to be clear, I'm not saying that I'm for religion in TS4; I don't really care either way. If they did decide to include religion, I'd definitely like to see a return of the Peterans and Jacobians from TSM. I'd also like to see different religions celebrate special occasions such as holidays, weddings, and birhtdays in their own unique way.

Of course, there are other ways they could do all of the different traditions without including religion in game; perhaps sims could be of different cultures instead. In fact, it would be great if the neighborhood I'm playing in actually felt like it's part of a much bigger world, rich in diversity and ethnicity. But that's probably a subject for a different thread.

The think about the Sims is that it leaves the doors open for people to play however they want. As a Christian myself, my sims do not tend to engage in premarital sex, homosexuality, adultery, and all the occult because it rubs me the wrong way... Unless maybe I'm writing a story. But it is a personal thing, and PLEASE NOTE: I'm not trying to start any flame wars here at all, nor any debates, nor am I saying that anyone who uses those features is evil >_>. I don't care if they're in the game or not, as long as none of it is forced down my throat. I can make my sims do or not do whatever I want.

However, I do not think that putting religion in the game would be a good idea. It IS a delicate subject and has the potential to start way more drama than it would be worth. If players really want to, they can pretend their simmies are religious. My favourite "Sim god" is actually the plumbob - I always get a laugh out of story writers saying "oh my plumbob" or "great plumbob in the sky" or anything similar. But put a label on it, make it "official", and it won't go down well. Just my thoughts.
  • AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited July 2013
    Nope. No. NO religion, nada, zilch, zero please! I would be okay with it IF there were a toggle so I could "opt out" of it completely and NOT have it at all in my worlds but that is the ONLY way I'd think this would be at all acceptable. I spend way too much time being appalled by all the hate and death religion causes in the real world to even want to see a humorous Sim version. The way it worked in Sims Medieval was amusing and appropriate to the time period and I wouldn't mind that kind of "religion" being portrayed in historically based EPs but I want my modern Sims to be enlightened and not at all troubled by such nonsense.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited July 2013
    I'm religious in real life, and it's still a no from me. Too controversial. Not worth the headaches that it would cause.

As it is now, you can build a chapel if you like and use the podium object from UL. I don't think there really needs to be more than that. If they gave us the same options in TS4, I think it would be an OK compromise.
    IHJCfa6.jpg