Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims should have religion in TS4 (Please read before commenting)

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't think any religion even a fake one is good idea. I mean I don't know about non-Abraham relgions but in the Abrhamic relgions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) the super-religious people would have a fit about the game "teaching to worship a false idol"
    6adMCGP.gif
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited July 2013
    I would love it as an option--but so often, EA goes overboard with things (like the attraction system, social groups, etc) and it would take the fun out of it.

I make up my own customs, traditions and beliefs for my sims. I would like them to be able to meditate without it being part of the martial arts skill though :wink:
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited July 2013
    No. I don't want a real life person or a sim's religion forced upon me. I don't force my lack of beliefs of anyone, why should it be ok to force them on me?
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    edited July 2013
    I would be fine with religion in-game as long as it was a fully player-controlled thing that was opt-in rather than opt-out. I can see it working if there was some sort of system in place where the player was able to create belief systems from a list of traits (pacifistic, pleasure-seeking, etc) and name it themselves. That way, people could create whatever religions they wanted and name them whatever they wanted. The issue here is what religion would bring to the table. What would religious Sims get out of it? Mood buffs or bonuses from prayer? That penalizes people who would prefer to play non-religious Sims or not apply religion/religions to their neighborhood.

It'd be safer not to open that can of worms.
  • lilhunnylilhunny Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited July 2013
    no
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited July 2013
    Wait, no 'pasta monster'?
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • MegancharltonMegancharlton Posts: 3,731 New Member
    edited July 2013
    At first, I did have the common reaction of- "But you can't have proper religions!" But then I realized- they included two made-up religions in Medieval. BUT though I did take the time to review the argument, it would create sims racism, because they could Argue about Religion and stuff, and isn't it a good thing about sims is there isn't racism? In medieval it was an asset, because in the middle ages religion was the main focus of everyone.
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2013
    No.
    They did it in TSM, where it was appropriate. A lot of Medieval Europe was driven by religion, that's just a truth, but they tried to stay impartial. The religiones were Peteran and Jacoban, and one of them was driven by fear. :mrgreen:
    They worshipped the watcher (the player). But if you ever played it, you would see it is heavily influenced by an already existing religion, a very big one at that. In the regular sims, I can only see it ending in disaster. It is extremely hard to create a completely unbiased, no-outside-influence religion in this game. Why? It could be influenced in any number of ways.

The simple solution? Just leave it out. It won't add any significance, it won't add anything worthwhile. It's just a bad idea in general.

@Megancharlton
    That's not racism... It's religious persecution. I don't see race involved here.
  • pixpumirapixpumira Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited July 2013
    One thing about the Sims is that it's a world where Sims do not judge each other, regardless of skin tone, hair colour, etc. I believe the adding of religion will only bring real life principles, such as racism, into a game that was meant to be controlled only by the player. Sims shouldn't go out their way to pray to the great plumbob or whatever. Thinking about it, in fact, makes you wonder about the time which could be spent doing the things that Sims are supposed to be doing—enjoying their life, dating, swimming in the ocean, or torturing them—when your Sims are praying/going to church/doing whatever their religion requires them to do. Yes, it would make a great concept for an expansion pack if thought out right, yet the quarrels of deeply offended people from the idea of worshipping alone still has a risk of appearing with it's creation.

But, I don't think EA would be very keen in adapting it for gameplay, for the risk of losing potential buyers. I'm neutral about this idea, since maybe, just maybe, it'll do some good, either in The Sims 4 or in another idea entirely.
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited July 2013
    ..it would create sims racism, because they could Argue about Religion and stuff, and isn't it a good thing about sims is there isn't racism?

How would that be racist? Racism has to do with, well, race. Religion isn't a race.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • AwesomeGinger952AwesomeGinger952 Posts: 165
    edited July 2013
    well that is actually a real religion so it'd be out-of-bounds
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,526 Member
    edited July 2013
    EA has set a religious precedent with Medieval. In a historical sense, you could say those were the start of religion in the sims with two types, Jacoban and Peteran if they wish to pursue it. They could even add a third sect that would be more new-age.

I'm not sure if EA will do it, but that path is there.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • lilhunnylilhunny Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited July 2013
    ..it would create sims racism, because they could Argue about Religion and stuff, and isn't it a good thing about sims is there isn't racism?

How would that be racist? Racism has to do with, well, race. Religion isn't a race.

lol
  • SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't think it's something that needs to be added to the game. I feel that religion (or lack of if one so chooses) is a very personal thing and shouldn't be made fun of. Adding comical made up religions is still poking fun, IMO. I didn't like it in TSM, but I understood why it was there. Religion was a very big part of life back then.

I got irritated though, when my sims would get moodlets that there was something missing in their lives and the only way to fix it was to make them choose a religion or take the constant drop in mood. That is pretty hard to ignore, IMO.

I also don't want my sims worshipping me. I am their dictator, yes, but not their god.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited July 2013
    well that is actually a real religion so it'd be out-of-bounds

That is not a religion, it is used as a joke but certainly not a religion. If it were, i would be a proud pastarian :D
    SimMommy05 wrote:
    I don't think it's something that needs to be added to the game. I feel that religion (or lack of if one so chooses) is a very personal thing and shouldn't be made fun of. Adding comical made up religions is still poking fun, IMO. I didn't like it in TSM, but I understood why it was there. Religion was a very big part of life back then.

I got irritated though, when my sims would get moodlets that there was something missing in their lives and the only way to fix it was to make them choose a religion or take the constant drop in mood. That is pretty hard to ignore, IMO.

I also don't want my sims worshipping me. I am their dictator, yes, but not their god.

I am glad I didn't buy TSM because that would irritate the hell out off. I am not religious and don't lack something, as well in that time period there were some atheist though they kept to themselves, I would rather, if we had this, had to option to create our own religions ;) and be able to not believe with no impact... maybe their own little ( science is awesome) moodlets :lol:
  • horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited July 2013
    I really do think it's best for the game to steer clear of this issue. So many people it could offend in so many ways lol. Personally, I can't see it as something I would enjoy in game.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited July 2013
    This keeps popping up every time... The awnser will always be no, such a topic is sensitive and everyone will complain about why their religon isn't there.
  • YumedustYumedust Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2013
    Nope, nope, and NOPE! TSM was an entirely different game unto itself. The Sims should stick with its current theme of realistic-but-also-cartoony and leave the serious stuff out. We won't see religions, or disabilities, or psychological issues. I've yet to understand why people ask for these things. The Sims is a game of pretend, broaden your imagination and implement religion your own way.
  • AwesomeGinger952AwesomeGinger952 Posts: 165
    edited July 2013
    Yumedust wrote:
    Nope, nope, and NOPE! TSM was an entirely different game unto itself. The Sims should stick with its current theme of realistic-but-also-cartoony and leave the serious stuff out. We won't see religions, or disabilities, or psychological issues. I've yet to understand why people ask for these things. The Sims is a game of pretend, broaden your imagination and implement religion your own way.

the sims is supposed to simulate real life. and, whether you like it or not, religion is a big part of real life. I'm not suggesting that Sims will randomly stop doing what you tell them too. Heck, it would also be awesome if they would launch a free-to-download system, similar to the CAW, but create-a-religion. It's optional to get, and you can design a religion just for your sims then post it on the exchange if you want.
  • COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited July 2013
    Yumedust wrote:

the sims is supposed to simulate real life. and, whether you like it or not, religion is a big part of real life. I'm not suggesting that Sims will randomly stop doing what you tell them too. Heck, it would also be awesome if they would launch a free-to-download system, similar to the CAW, but create-a-religion. It's optional to get, and you can design a religion just for your sims then post it on the exchange if you want.
    Still somewhat contreversial even if you just place it for decor. Its just too much of a sensitive topic to let slide.
  • TRachetTRachet Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited July 2013
    So i know for some this is crossing a line. I know. I really do. I like my Sims being abnormal partially cause i am and so are my ideas. I know that EA doesn't use religion. I'm not talking about having all sims be Christian or Jewish or Muslim or whatever. the developers can make up their own religions where sims worship made-up entities like the Great Plumbob or Billy (just random, normal name. i'm not saying they should worship somebody i know or me.) In TS4 there should be two or three religions you can choose your sims to be. I'm thinking they all worship the Great Plumbob (my name for the player that controls Sims) in three different ways or maybe just a different entity for each religion
    No, thank you. It is still limited. EA wouldn't dare put any kind of religion in their games unless they wanted to go out of business the painful way.
  • NarcissaNarcissa Posts: 811 Member
    edited July 2013
    My response to the idea of adding any religion to this game in similar to my response to the simmers that wanted to add sexual orientation options in CAS some weeks ago; It's not something I believe in in real life, and I sure as heck don't want to see it in my game. Even made-up religions. That being said, as long as it's not a real religion, I won't throw any tantrums if the developers add something like that.

However, I am all for having my sims worship me! It's something I do in my game anyway. I added pictures of me to the custom painting files and in every household I force my sims to paint my beautiful face and hang it in their home. :lol: The smallest things can be so funny. :wink:
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited July 2013
    Narcissa wrote:
    My response to the idea of adding any religion to this game in similar to my response to the simmers that wanted to add sexual orientation options in CAS some weeks ago; It's not something I believe in in real life, and I sure as heck don't want to see it in my game. Even made-up religions. That being said, as long as it's not a real religion, I won't throw any tantrums if the developers add something like that.

However, I am all for having my sims worship me! It's something I do in my game anyway. I added pictures of me to the custom painting files and in every household I force my sims to paint my beautiful face and hang it in their home. :lol: The smallest things can be so funny. :wink:

Hahaha! This is a good idea!
    WLfAA9V.png
  • DragonWyngDragonWyng Posts: 92 Member
    edited July 2013
    I just thought everyone here would be interested in IMeeps idea of "including religion without including religion". It's a really good idea and could certainly use more support. Here's a link: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/678079.page
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2013
    the sims is supposed to simulate real life.

The original creator of all-things-Sims didn't intend for The Sims series to be based around everything real life. He was much into fantasy and specifically said so. So, I disagree, it isn't supposed to simulate real life, just general life.

and, whether you like it or not, religion is a big part of real life.

That still doesn't mean it has to be in the game. I'm just saying.