The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims should have religion in TS4 (Please read before commenting)

So i know for some this is crossing a line. I know. I really do. I like my Sims being abnormal partially cause i am and so are my ideas. I know that EA doesn't use religion. I'm not talking about having all sims be Christian or Jewish or Muslim or whatever. the developers can make up their own religions where sims worship made-up entities like the Great Plumbob or Billy (just random, normal name. i'm not saying they should worship somebody i know or me.) In TS4 there should be two or three religions you can choose your sims to be. I'm thinking they all worship the Great Plumbob (my name for the player that controls Sims) in three different ways or maybe just a different entity for each religion

Comments

• hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited July 2013
    Oh noes!!! You have misnamed The Watcher! (In TSM, it's The Watcher. That's the name they chose)

I'm fine with this, but you'll never please everyone. Good luck!
  • aditya2333aditya2333 Posts: 100 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I absolutely love your idea :thumbup: .I feel that religion would add that certain something that will make the game more interesting!....like you said, there's no need for real world religions like Chritian , Hindu , Muslim etc....They can instead just invent 2 or three new sects that worship stuff like the PlumbBob or whatever :)

• Tvip11Tvip11 Posts: 65 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I like it! Maybe it could be the Great PlumbBob, the Social Bunny and the Tragic Clown! That would be funny!
  • aditya2333aditya2333 Posts: 100 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Tvip11 wrote:
    I like it! Maybe it could be the Great PlumbBob, the Social Bunny and the Tragic Clown! That would be funny!

Rotfl :D
    i would totally make my sims worship the tragic clown :lol:
  • SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited July 2013
    Id like to see possible made up sim religions but if they don't add it I don't care either way. I am sure Maxis could come up with some neat made up religions just for sims.
  • 2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited July 2013
    sounds good to me :D
    My origin id is sim2011
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited July 2013
    It fit in TSM. It doesn't fit in the regular sims.
  • dejadejavudejadejavu Posts: 62 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Religion is not something I want in the Sims because I just don't really see the benefit of it. Or if it was included, I think it should only be after the game is fully fleshed out. I mean what affect would it have? Would Sims not want to marry sims of other religions? Would there be certain traditions associated with each? Seems to me that EA would mess it up and it would just become this huge nuisance with Sims praying all the time and this and that.

I also don't want the game deciding what view of religion I have to take. For instance, I'm agnostic, I don't want all of my Sims feeling lost if they don't have a belief system.

I think that religion could be an interesting thing to add down the road, but ONLY AFTER we have a fully functional game. Sims need to have round complex personalities, there also need to be populated and bustling towns so along with other gameplay dynamics the religions would actually have a substantial number of followers etc.
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited July 2013
    Many people from many religions would believe that including worship of an imaginary creature [or, worse, the player] would be an affront to their religion. I don't think that EA will risk it.

Way, Way back when TS1 was released, a programmer for the game independently made a 'worship' object for the game. It was a statute of Will Wright. When the right-wing/ family-values people heard about it they condemned the whole game as 'satanic'. It made the newspaper and there was an attempted boycott [not that most fans cared, apparently computer game enthusiasts don't overlap much with right-wing/ family-values people.

Then, back in the beginning of TS2, EA/ Maxis used to give us free downloads. When the holidays came around, the downloads would have a holiday theme. Well, the year after the game was released, Hanukkah was on December 8th, which is unusually early. So EA released a Hanukkah set on the Thursday before Hanukkah - and before they released a Christmas set - and the Forum went NUTS. Some fans screamed how EA was discriminating against Christians/ Christmas for a solid week. It didn't stop until EA released, not one, but TWO Christmas sets.

That was the last time we got holiday objects until TS3 came out. And in that TS3 set, there was only one item for Hanukkah [a menorah] and about 4 Christmas objects. The second holiday set included 3 Christmas items and 1 for Kwanza - and people complained about THAT. There hasn't been another winter holiday set released since then.

No, I think EA has been burned enough by their attempts to include religion in The Sims - I doubt if they will do it again.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't know, I just would prefer if the Sims didn't worship anything ranging from a "Giant Plumbob" to the "Emperor Llama", etc.

Even if it was a made up, creative Sim-religion, I just don't see it fit for this type of game. It'd be very annoying to be controlling my Sim and to have him/her ignore me because it's night and they need to pray to the great plumbob.
  • tuityfruity12ajtuityfruity12aj Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited July 2013
    Why would they need religion when we already are technically their god?

Remember in sims2 and sims1 they would sometimes look at us like "why are you doing this to me??"
  • dejadejavudejadejavu Posts: 62 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Schweighsr wrote:
    Many people from many religions would believe that including worship of an imaginary creature [or, worse, the player] would be an affront to their religion. I don't think that EA will risk it.

Way, Way back when TS1 was released, a programmer for the game independently made a 'worship' object for the game. It was a statute of Will Wright. When the right-wing/ family-values people heard about it they condemned the whole game as 'satanic'. It made the newspaper and there was an attempted boycott [not that most fans cared, apparently computer game enthusiasts don't overlap much with right-wing/ family-values people.

Then, back in the beginning of TS2, EA/ Maxis used to give us free downloads. When the holidays came around, the downloads would have a holiday theme. Well, the year after the game was released, Hanukkah was on December 8th, which is unusually early. So EA released a Hanukkah set on the Thursday before Hanukkah - and before they released a Christmas set - and the Forum went NUTS. Some fans screamed how EA was discriminating against Christians/ Christmas for a solid week. It didn't stop until EA released, not one, but TWO Christmas sets.

That was the last time we got holiday objects until TS3 came out. And in that TS3 set, there was only one item for Hanukkah [a menorah] and about 4 Christmas objects. The second holiday set included 3 Christmas items and 1 for Kwanza - and people complained about THAT. There hasn't been another winter holiday set released since then.

No, I think EA has been burned enough by their attempts to include religion in The Sims - I doubt if they will do it again.

Wow, that's quite the fascinating history lesson! I think it's so silly that people freak out about including holiday items...it's the player's choice whether or not to use them. I thought including the holidays in Sims Seasons was the perfect inclusion of holidays. Some nice made up days that players can make anything they want out of. Of course I didn't like how they were executed...but the concept was good.

• 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited July 2013
    I understand what you are saying but I would rather not have religion in my game unless sims do not discriminate :lol: and I have the option to my simmies atheist sims :)

Unless worshiping me is an option, because seeing sims looking up and worshiping me would be the cutest thing ever hahaa :lol::lol:

:!: Unfortunately you are going to have to groups that have a problem with it, those that are super religious and get mad a fake religions and those that are most likely intolerant atheists that hate religion with a magical passion :lol::lol: :!:
    (This part above is not meant to offend anyone.. I did not mean anything rude of offending in this post :mrgreen: :thumbup: )

I honestly, on second thought, don't care if there is religion in sims as long as it stays comical and noting serious or crazy sims running around and preaching :lol: - wait that could work! :lol: Ok, but negative moodlets or reaction from other sims' religions.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • AwesomeGinger952AwesomeGinger952 Posts: 165
    edited July 2013
    Well i have been thinking and i thought that they could include an aethiest (or however its spelled. Sorry if i spelled it wrong) option in CAS. Also i thought that religion would start at child or teen age. or preteen if they add it to TS4 (i hope they do). Of course, you pick their religion
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2013
    Why would they need religion when we already are technically their god?

Remember in sims2 and sims1 they would sometimes look at us like "why are you doing this to me??"

Yes, I hope that returns to TS4 - awareness of us messing with their lives. :mrgreen:
    edited July 2013
    Schweighsr wrote:

People are so ridiculous, always looking for something to throw a tantrum over. I would love if my sims worshiped Will Wright :D
    edited July 2013
    06Bon06 wrote:
    I understand what you are saying but I would rather not have religion in my game unless sims do not discriminate :lol: and I have the option to my simmies atheist sims :)

Unless worshiping me is an option, because seeing sims looking up and worshiping me would be the cutest thing ever hahaa :lol::lol:

Unfortunately you are going to have to groups that have a problem with it, those that are super religious and get mad a fake religions and those that are most likely intolerant atheists that hate religion with a magical passion :lol::lol:

I honestly, on second thought, don't care if there is religion in sims as long as it stays comical and noting serious or crazy sims running around and preaching :lol: - wait that could work! :lol: Ok, but negative moodlets or reaction from other sims' religions.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

no! no! no discrimination! just something to make it more realistic. I was also thinking on maybe a way to make them not very observant of their religion but still a member. And also the Great Plumbob is my nickname for the simmer (player), so my idea is that one or more religions worship the Great Plumbob (aka they worship you because you already are deified in the fact that you can control them
    edited July 2013
    Well i have been thinking and i thought that they could include an aethiest (or however its spelled. Sorry if i spelled it wrong) option in CAS. Also i thought that religion would start at child or teen age. or preteen if they add it to TS4 (i hope they do)

Mmm I also mentioned the atheist thing. I, however, vote that teen or pre-teen sims get to choose their own religion(or rather we choose it for them) so that they don't genetically receive a religion :lol:

Ooo and I want to be able to switch between religions at any time :D

**All Hail Will Wright****All Hail Will Wright****All Hail Will Wright****All Hail Will Wright** :XD:
  • Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't agree with religion in the game. First of all, many people aren't religious, so they probably don't want their SIMS to be religious. Second, I think it could get pretty annoying. dejadejavu said there may be problems in things like marriage with conflicting religion.
    edited July 2013
    I don't agree with religion in the game. First of all, many people aren't religious, so they probably don't want their SIMS to be religious. Second, I think it could get pretty annoying. dejadejavu said there may be problems in things like marriage with conflicting religion.

I think the OP's idea ,much like my own, is not having it do much except maybe a few comical actions. I presonally feel, no we do this because we believe in the Plumbob nonsense. They can believe in something or nothing with only some comical actions.

Although it's the Sims team's job to make it work not mine :lol::lol:
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited July 2013
    06Bon06 wrote:

Unfortunately you are going to have to groups that have a problem with it, those that are super religious and get mad a fake religions and those that are most likely intolerant atheists that hate religion with a magical passion :lol: :lol

This sentence right here is probably going to get you more backlash than the topic at hand itself.

I feel like we are already the god of our sims, so I personally see no need for this.
    WLfAA9V.png
    edited July 2013
    06Bon06 wrote:

Unfortunately you are going to have to groups that have a problem with it, those that are super religious and get mad a fake religions and those that are most likely intolerant atheists that hate religion with a magical passion :lol: :lol

This sentence right here is probably going to get you more backlash than the topic at hand itself.

I feel like we are already the god of our sims, so I personally see no need for this.

OMG :oops: You are probably right :oops: Even though I meant it in the most non-threatening way possible, hence the friendly " :lol::lol: " faces

I come in peace, even with my terrible writing today. In my defense I had a terrible day so my spelling suffered hahaha
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited July 2013
    The sims already worship the simolean. I thinks that's enough.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
    edited July 2013
    The sims already worship the simolean. I thinks that's enough.

worshiping money? I think that's TOO realistic considering most people care 20 times more about money than about whatever religion they follow. its the sad truth
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2013
    Hi :)

In the Sims games, seeing how it's mostly a sandbox game- we can make up any ritualistic religion we might want them to have...

My Grilled Cheese worshiping Sim must eat grill cheese for lunch everyday. They must wear orange shoes and view their Grilled Cheese painting which is hanging on the south wall in a place of honor. On their Special Mondays they must play hopscotch with a stranger in a crowded park...:)

Now, what else could my Grilled Cheese worshiping Sims need~ Praying? Bowing? Hopping on one leg in a circle? ;)

It me, religion in this game isn't important. :)